As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't wait to see it, especially psyched because I won 3D IMAX tickets, although I don't think I want to see it 3D.

cardboard delusions on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Don't ever trust the NYtimes reviews... they are a bunch of snotty SOBs. The person who reviewed game of thrones pretty much said it was only good for D&D nerds and kids.
    I only read the first two books (no interest in the show), and I assumed it was for people who really liked reading about rape, incest, incestual rape, and a pretty awesome midget.

Munch on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Don't ever trust the NYtimes reviews... they are a bunch of snotty SOBs. The person who reviewed game of thrones pretty much said it was only good for D&D nerds and kids.
    I only read the first two books (no interest in the show), and I assumed it was for people who really liked reading about rape, incest, incestual rape, and a pretty awesome midget.

You have to admit, the midget is really awesome.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited May 2011
    Oh, no doubt.

If Game of Thrones had been, Tyrion: Haters Gon' Hate, I'd probably have A) kept reading B) purchased HBO.

Munch on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Munch, the HBO series has extra scenes of Tyrion walking around being awesome

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man the one theme running through all of the superhero movies to date seems to be that no one has enough fights.

I dunno, I felt like thor had a pretty good amount of fighting. What I enjoyed most about the action was that it kept surprising me. A lot of cool shit happened, though that was primarily in the first and last big confrontation.

Guek on
    edited May 2011
    whoops, double post

Guek on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did you dudes have the same problem with the brightness/contrast in the early scenes, particularly in all of the stuff in Jotunheim?

Like I said, I saw the 2D version which is normally supposed to be brighter than the 3D version, but the first 20 minutes or so of the film were so dark I had no idea what was happening.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    I saw it in 2D too but didn't have as much of a problem as you did. It was indeed very dark, but I could still make out most of everything. What bugged me more was how zoomed in some of th shits were in that first big action scene. That coupled with how dark it was made it occasionally difficult to make out, but overall it wasn't a huge issue for me.

Guek on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    THOR SPOILER

Anybody else see
    the Infinity Gauntlet when the frost giants were getting Destroyer'd?

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Did you dudes have the same problem with the brightness/contrast in the early scenes, particularly in all of the stuff in Jotunheim?

Like I said, I saw the 2D version which is normally supposed to be brighter than the 3D version, but the first 20 minutes or so of the film were so dark I had no idea what was happening.

I saw it in 3D and had no such troubles.

Speaking of which, I recommend not seeing it in 3D if any of you have a choice. I'm not really a fan of 3D to begin with, but I just found it distracting. I'd be engrossed in the movie and something would pop out weirdly and take me right out of it.

BionicPenguin on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just saw Thor in IMAX 3D. I wear glasses.

Big mistake...

By the time of the end credits I thought my fucking head was going to split open. As for the movie, Chris nailed it, and Hiddleson's Loki is just... Batshit insane

The special effects were top notch.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus christ... they went ALL OUT with Thor advertising didn't they? Everywhere I fucking look there is Chris all Thor'ed up.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    THOR SPOILER

Anybody else see
    Yeah, if you look closely in that scene you can also spot the
    Eye Of Agamotto

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ruins wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    THOR SPOILER

Anybody else see
    Yeah, if you look closely in that scene you can also spot the
    Eye Of Agamotto

Yeah, I was trying to pin point things in that chamber, and that was the only one I could guess at. I'm not that well versed in the universe.

THOR: Pretty fun! Although I hated the constant tilted shots. It got so annoying and pointless and reeks of the director/cinematographer/whoever is in charge of that deciding to just do whatever looks cool and radical. This movie is to tilted shots what the Bourne series is to shaky cam.

Other than that, I would say the heavy CG sequences, like when they're riding the horses on the Rainbow Bridge, look pretty hokey. But you get used to it, and the hokey graphics almost become part of the tone and aesthetic.

Lux on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It needed more fights. Superman level brawls have never really been done well before, and seeing Thor slay all sorts of things in Thor-like fashion was really fun to watch.

if they do a hulk vs thor fight in the avengers, that would be really rad.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited May 2011
    Well I WAS going to wait until I got home to see Thor with my buddies... but I caved in and saw it today. I have to say... it... was... FANTASTIC. I'll totally agree with the handful of critics who said it's the best Marvel film to date. Dark Knight still sits on my #1 favorite superhero movie (which is saying allot because I'm not even a Batman fan), but Thor is sitting comfortably in 2nd place.

I'm sorry for ever doubting this film.

I thought Asgard and the costumes looked cheesy in the trailers, but MAN, they worked so well in the final product. Not once did any part of Asgard look corny to me. It just WORKED when all meshed together in a constant storyline. The actors were all perfect but Thor and Loki stole the show and I was surprised to see them able to do so amongst greats like Anthony and Portman.

My only complaints are some of the up close/clumsy action shots and some extremely predictable dialogue.
    "One day I'll make you proud father"
    "You already have"
    GROAN!
    Man the one theme running through all of the superhero movies to date seems to be that no one has enough fights.

Did u even watch Thor? How could you say that? Any more fights and there would be no room for a story!
    We had the quick but bad ass intro fight, then the awesome Thor vs frost giant fight, then the big shield base fight, then the big Destoyer fight, and finished it all off with the Loki vs Thor showdown... and of course there were smaller ass kicking scenes scattered between the big fights.

In fact I'm hard pressed to think of any other decent superhero movie with considerably more fight scenes.
    Matrias wrote: »
    It needed more fights. Superman level brawls have never really been done well before, and seeing Thor slay all sorts of things in Thor-like fashion was really fun to watch.

Not for us Thor fans, I can tell you that right now. I can already picture The Hulk beating the shit out of Thor :(

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No there definitely could have been more fights
    the SHIELD Brawl and the Thor/Loki brawl were kinda short and the Destroyer fight wasn't a fight so much as The Warriors Three getting their asses kicked. The best fight by far was Thor and pals vs. the Jotun and it was pretty much the only time we got to see Thor cut loose with his hammer.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Turambar wrote: »
    Munch, the HBO series has extra scenes of Tyrion walking around being awesome
    Hopefully someone will cut all that into a twenty-minute YouTube clip, so I don't have to risk seeing a teenager being raped by barbarians on top of a pile of corpses, in order to see it.
    George R.R. Martin what is wrong with you?

Munch on
    edited May 2011

Not for us Thor fans, I can tell you that right now. I can already picture The Hulk beating the shit out of Thor :(

but awesome for us Hulk fans!

I'm sure it'll be epic in any case.

Guek on
    edited May 2011
    Guek wrote: »

Every time Marvel has had Thor and Hulk comes to blows on the big screen, Thor has never even stood a chance... he's never even held his own.

I don't care if the Hulk wins, lets face it, he's by far the more popular of the two so it WOULD please more people. I just don't want the Hulk to bend Thor over and make him his bitch like he did in The Ultimates cartoon and in Hulk vs Thor. That was EMBARRASSING.

BUT if the fight is even a fraction as cool as the fight in The Ultimates comics... goddamn we're in for a treat! That (and the later Thor vs the Ultimates), was the greatest comic book fight I've ever seen. So epic.

Wishpig on

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keep in mind that Movie Hulk doesn't seem to be as powerful as comics hulk, so the fight may be more even.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh my god Thor was freaking awesome! I actually had a scale of expectation between "give us your money fanboys" at one end and "Henry V in space/comics" at the other. I'm quite happy to say it fell more toward the latter end of the spectrum than the former.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited May 2011
    Awwww.... seeing what Hogun looks like in the movie's concept art makes me really sad about how he turned out. :(

He looks REALLY Mongolian inspired in the art (from facial hair to really trippy hairdo), nothing at all like how he turned out. Shame. Even before I saw the concept art he was the only Thor character who visually let me down. Not even his mustache dammit! However, I do think his actor did an awesome job. The captured his personality at least.

Wishpig on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where is this concept art, wishpig?

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2011
    Guek wrote: »

Every time Marvel has had Thor and Hulk comes to blows on the big screen, Thor has never even stood a chance... he's never even held his own.

I don't care if the Hulk wins, lets face it, he's by far the more popular of the two so it WOULD please more people. I just don't want the Hulk to bend Thor over and make him his bitch like he did in The Ultimates cartoon and in Hulk vs Thor. That was EMBARRASSING.

BUT if the fight is even a fraction as cool as the fight in The Ultimates comics... goddamn we're in for a treat! That (and the later Thor vs the Ultimates), was the greatest comic book fight I've ever seen. So epic.

I like it in the Ultimate comics, where Thor's timely intervention gave the Ultimates a chance to take him down.

I doubt Whedon is going to introduce Thor to audiences by completely manhandling him.

Matrias on
    edited May 2011
    Where is this concept art, wishpig?

It's a bit of a pain to see, but go here...

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Art-Movie-Marvel-Comics/dp/0785151303/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304855019&sr=8-1

There is a video review in the review section, skip to around 30 seconds in and pause. You can, clear as day, make out Hogun's concept.

Wishpig on

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Me and the boss always joke around with each other about comic book movies. He gives me a hrd time about DC movies and I give him a hrd time about Marvel movies.

I said Thor was a racist movie because there was one black Asgardian and his job was to open the door for everyone.

Thor was awesome though and the best Marvel movie as far as I'm concerned.

Algertman on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I distinctly remember a comic in which they fought to a standstill. It was in an anthology I believe.

Fencingsax on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    I said Thor was a racist movie because there was one black Asgardian and his job was to open the door for everyone.

AHAHAHA

that's pretty good, actually

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I distinctly remember a comic in which they fought to a standstill. It was in an anthology I believe.

If your talking about Thor vs Hulk... it really depends on who the writer is. Sometimes Thor beats Hulk, sometimes Hulk beats Thor. Although the inner Thor fanboy in me wants to point out that only ONE of them managed to totally kill the other... *cough* Thor *cough*

However, since in the movies Thor is really just an alien, I'd be fine with Hulk beating Thor as long as Thor puts up a decent fight.

Wishpig on

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, Smallville episode 20...
    and they decided to squeeze the "Legion of Doom" into the second last Smallville ever... Anyone else see it and feel a little ripped off? Slow panning, close-up shots of Black Mantas shadow-obscured helmet, Metallos shirt with a night-light behind it, Captain Colds hood and Grundys fucking hands for like a second. This does not a "Legion of Doom" make.

That said, Captain Cold still had his trade-mark goggles on under the white fur hood, which was boss, and the semi-use of Starro was neat. Here's hoping the double episode finale isn't some kinda of clusterfuck.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    KING LITERATE on
    TWITTER TWATS
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know, as cheesy as some of them were, I loved the 90's Marvel Cartoons. The X-men one goes without saying, but some of the wacky shit the Spider-Man pulled and Silver Surfer cosmic goodness were just fun as hell. May have to dig out my old VHS copies... then find a VCR.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    You know, as cheesy as some of them were, I loved the 90's Marvel Cartoons. The X-men one goes without saying, but some of the wacky shit the Spider-Man pulled and Silver Surfer cosmic goodness were just fun as hell. May have to dig out my old VHS copies... then find a VCR.

I think someone said all those old marvel shows are coming to Netflix sometime soon. That could be an easy fix for you.

Wishpig on

edited May 2011

I think someone said all those old marvel shows are coming to Netflix sometime soon. That could be an easy fix for you.

They are. I'm going to use the free month 1 trial and marathon all the 60's Marvel shows because I'm a cheap fat bastard.

oh yeah here's some Secret Wars

KING LITERATE on
    TWITTER TWATS
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    60's Spider-Man cartoon has stuff in it so insane it would have made DC Comics call bullshit on it at the time. Bakshi worked on it.

Algertman on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, Smallville episode 20...
    and they decided to squeeze the "Legion of Doom" into the second last Smallville ever... Anyone else see it and feel a little ripped off? Slow panning, close-up shots of Black Mantas shadow-obscured helmet, Metallos shirt with a night-light behind it, Captain Colds hood and Grundys fucking hands for like a second. This does not a "Legion of Doom" make.

That said, Captain Cold still had his trade-mark goggles on under the white fur hood, which was boss, and the semi-use of Starro was neat. Here's hoping the double episode finale isn't some kinda of clusterfuck.

I don't understand this season of Smallville. Granted, this is my first season that I have even remotely watched, but it seems like they're cramming in so many things- Superboy, Gold and Blue, Darkseid, Parallel worlds, and now this last spoiler...

It's like they think they have another season.

noir_blood on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    90s Spider-Man was such a terrible show in retrospect. Not least of which because somehow Peter Parker became a six-foot-five barrel-chested dude with a giant chin.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited May 2011
    Wow, the Beyonder is such a dick. For like, no reason at all.

"SUP ALIENS, HAVE SOME EVIL DUDES!"

Matrias on