As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like how the plots get progressively more insane.

Watch the first two minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEkxTWFN0ic&feature=related

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Every time I see clips of the 90's spidey I cringe. I think it has to be that he never really felt like Spider-Man in the show in terms of look or movement. And I can't remember the Silver Surfer cartoon at all.

Thor made $66 million in the US, above Hulk but well below Iron Man 1, even with 3D pricing.

I guess that would be the bar to set Green Lantern at, Captain America a little higher (like 80 million) just because he's more recognizable.

TexiKen on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    they were projecting a $60 million opening weekend, so Thor pretty much performed to expectations

i saw it again yesterday and liked it even more

i didn't catch it the first time, but i laughed out loud when Thor called Agent Coulson "son of Cole"

Diablo Fett on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Watch the first two minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEkxTWFN0ic&feature=related

Man that show was such a cluster fuck at the end of it all. The whole portal thing just got out of control.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Just one of the many reasons I love the show.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Every time I see clips of the 90's spidey I cringe. I think it has to be that he never really felt like Spider-Man in the show in terms of look or movement.

I understand in terms of looks but how movement?

As much as a loved Spectacular Spider-Man I think you guys are being a bit too hard on this show. It introduced a lot of 90's children to the character, that much you can give it. And Hank Azaria as Venom is just badass (though I couldn't help but imagine Duff Man saying some of Brock's lines :lol:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDM-goqNuE4&NR=1

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spider-man Unlimited recently got added to Netflix, and oh my god...

After a few minutes in, I had no idea what was going on. Oh, and the whole thing had this McFarlane wanna-be vibe to it.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Every time I see clips of the 90's spidey I cringe. I think it has to be that he never really felt like Spider-Man in the show in terms of look or movement. And I can't remember the Silver Surfer cartoon at all.

Thor made $66 million in the US, above Hulk but well below Iron Man 1, even with 3D pricing.

I guess that would be the bar to set Green Lantern at, Captain America a little higher (like 80 million) just because he's more recognizable.

I have great memories of the Spider-Man and X-Men animations but unlike Batman Animated I avoid watching them today because I don't want to ruin the magic much.

Thor was good and it did pretty well considering it's a new movie franchise with a main star I can't even remember the name of. Now if Karnilla and Balder appear in the sequel it'll be cool.

Indi on
    edited May 2011
    Just one of the many reasons I love the show.
    Every time I see clips of the 90's spidey I cringe. I think it has to be that he never really felt like Spider-Man in the show in terms of look or movement.

I understand in terms of looks but how movement?

In the 90's Spider-Man was drawn by McFarlane, Larsen, and Bagley, who all made him much more acrobatic and "spider-like" in the way he would webswing, hang on walls, jump around, etc. It was a strong difference from the Romita house style Spider-Man was in in the 60's and 70's. The cartoon never really got across the acrobatics of spider-man, it just looked like a bulky guy climbing the walls or doing his usual web swing across that ugly 3D cityscape.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    The action on the show was pretty tame. Punisher used guns that shot nets, and Carnage had knives for hands but never cut anyone.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The action on the show was pretty tame. Punisher used guns that shot nets, and Carnage had knives for hands but never cut anyone.

Yeah, I love how he would make this massive spike out of his arm then just bitch slap someone with the broad side of it. That's totally what sharp things are for.

But for me, 90's spider-man is all about getting to see any comic anything cos I grew up in a hick-ass, comic-less town.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    One of the rules for that show was spiderman could never punch anyone.

Matrias on
    edited May 2011
    Is that why there was so many web-swing kicks? Making more sense now.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I grew up watching 90s Spider-Man and the X-Men show and fucking loved both of them

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    speaking of which did wolverine ever actually use his claws on anyone?

and why the hell did they not let spiderman throw a punch? were they afraid kids were going to learn how to punch from him?

Inter_d on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's cool if they want to swing from buildings and wrap people in things, just no punching. We have to draw the line for the children somewhere.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited May 2011
    Inter_d wrote: »

and why the hell did they not let spiderman throw a punch? were they afraid kids were going to learn how to punch from him?
    The x-men was better for that. Wolverine got mangled a bunch by Sabertooth, and got to use his claws on all sorts of robots.

Matrias on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spider Blood

Spider Blood

RADIOACTIVE SPIDER BLOOD

90's Spider-Man was so great you guys, even with all the rampant reuse of animation

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Matrias wrote: »
    Inter_d wrote: »

The x-men was better for that. Wolverine got mangled a bunch by Sabertooth, and got to use his claws on all sorts of robots.

Same thing happened in the TMNT cartoon, they really only got to use their weapons on robots.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At least Standards & Practices departments realize that even kids need to be prepared for the robot apocalypse.

Tomanta on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This was one of the things that bothered me about Samurai Jack: every single thing he cut - no mater how organic it looked - turned out to be robotic on the inside. I mean, I understand why, but it was still annoying.

As for "Thor", I enjoyed it, but I thought that it was really rushed. I think they should have either cut content, or made the movie at least half an hour longer. All the Earth scenes, especially, moved at a really high pace.

I kept trying to figure out what was what in the Asgardian armory, but wasn't able to really make anything out. What did everyone see in there? Also, I remember people saying that there are cameos at the banquet scene at the end, but I completely forgot to look around the table when I was watching the movie. Whom did people see there?

Delduwath on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    This was one of the things that bothered me about Samurai Jack: every single thing he cut - no mater how organic it looked - turned out to be robotic on the inside. I mean, I understand why, but it was still annoying.

As for "Thor", I enjoyed it, but I thought that it was really rushed. I think they should have either cut content, or made the movie at least half an hour longer. All the Earth scenes, especially, moved at a really high pace.

I kept trying to figure out what was what in the Asgardian armory, but wasn't able to really make anything out. What did everyone see in there? Also, I remember people saying that there are cameos at the banquet scene at the end, but I completely forgot to look around the table when I was watching the movie. Whom did people see there?

not sure as to what the exact artifacts were, but i'm pretty sure one of them was the
    Eye of Agamotto. also, when the Destroyer is killing the Frost Giants, you can see the Infinity Gauntlet for a split second

as for the feast at the end, Walt Simonson, Louise Simonson, and (editor) Ralph Macchio show up, though really only Walt is identifiable

Diablo Fett on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't read much stuff with Wolverine in it except for around the late 80s/early 90s so it may be different now but he never really used his claws in killin a heck of a lot even in the comics.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited May 2011
    I remember in the 90s x-men when wolverine got scratched by sabertooth, and they made a big deal on how not even Wolverine could walk away from that and he was all bandaged for a whole episode.

Today this is a flesh wound wolverine laughs at.

Matrias on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah uh

Wolverine uses his claws very effectively nowadays in comics.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mark Millar should write insane Wolverine stories til the end of time

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I think Matrias meant that Wolverine's healing factor is hella powerful these days, compared to the early 90's or when it took months to grow back an eye that got ripped out.

TexiKen on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was responding to the post above Matrias

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »

There was no other way to have a Samurai cartoon on Cartoon Network with that much violence. I did find it hilarious, though, that they got really gory with the robot stuff, substituting oil for blood and having Jack cut things in half with oil spurting out.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    I realize that. They did what they had to. And, hey, I absolutely loved the show; it just got a little monotonous after a while. Also, I got the impression that the only non-robotics in the world were Jack and Aku.

Delduwath on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "I'm gonna use my other hand!"

Sinestro is such a hipster

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited May 2011
    No but see.

He's using his left hand.

His sinestra hand.

Delduwath on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jason Aaron should write insane Wolverine stories til the end of time

Centipede Damascus on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bloods End on
    edited May 2011
    Thank god about "Fringe", but they're cancelling "Breaking In" already? It's like 5 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it for a mindless comedy. It was doing okay in the ratings too, they shoulda given it a season at least.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Fox really went scorched Earth last night.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    Man, the dude from Reaper and The Loop can't catch a break.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Human Target is no surprise, though still depressing. Such a fun show.

Agree with Robos. I like the dude from Breaking In in almost everything he's been but he just can't get anything concrete. Sad to see it go.

Kyougu on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It also didn't pick up the Locke and Key pilot which is a bit of a bummer. I was certainly curious on that one.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Gustav wrote: »
    It also didn't pick up the Locke and Key pilot which is a bit of a bummer. I was certainly curious on that one.

I was looking forward to Locke & Key instead of buying the comics, like with Game of Thrones, but now I guess I have to give the books a look.

Lots of changes to the Spider-Man musical. Less Arachne, more Goblin and MJ, basically more of a Spider-Man story it seems, which should help. And Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa helped with the script, a broadway guy who did write a good Spidey before OMD.

TexiKen on