As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3D Dot Game Heroes

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
Does anyone still play this game? I got it about this time last year, but I didn't really play it for some reason. With psn being down, and being tired of New Vegas and Black Ops, I started playing it. It is pretty fun. I don't have the patience for the character creator, but it looks fun. I really want to make one of the little knights from Castle Crashers (which I have wanted to download for about two weeks now) and make a couple versions of Maximo (such great games), but I don't have the patience to make them one pixel at a time.

The game itself is fun, I just beat the first temple. Man, I don;t think you could play this without a guide. You could, I guess, but you would miss out on so much stuff!

Anyway, it is a fun game, and I feel like I am missing stuff because I didn't play Zelda or any old rpg games ever really.

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got it last Christmas when I got my PS3, but ended up trading it back in towards something else. I don't know why. It was fun. I think I just couldn't decide what games I wanted since it was all so new to me at the time. I really need to get this back. I had fun with the time I spent running around as Santa Claus, though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can get it back pretty easily actually, it's super cheap now. I think it routinely goes on sale for $15 or $20. I tried playing it again a few months back but then I stopped at around the 5th dungeon. It gets ridiculous for side-quests without a guide. Like really, step onto one specific tile to teleport and get the longshot? Are you serious game? How the fuck would I find that on my own? Oh and the bestiary is bullshit of the highest order. Hitting bosses 50+ times with a book to register them is really hard.

Also I pretty much only played as the Metal Wolf Chaos robot. I wonder how many people knew what game those robots even came from.

Gilder on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't know it was like that. I guess a guide is really needed then.

anoffday on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The easiest one to mess up is the Armored Core quest. You have to talk to some guy in the inn of the first town before you do the first dungeon. Then you head to the From cave after the first dungeon and talk to him again. But then you don't have to talk to him after the second or third dungeon or something like that. But then you do have to go back after the fourth and then for every dungeon afterward. If you miss even one conversation you fail the quest. I think it gives you a sword at the end.

Oh and DouglasDanger be happy you got it now with the patch. It makes the circuit races actually possible. Pre-patch the time for the first race was ludicrous. I remember we were all having trouble with it in the original thread and after like an hour and a half I finally got the time for the small block. I think it was under 20 seconds, but now it's 25 or something.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    I didn't know it was like that. I guess a guide is really needed then.

The one on gamefaqs is perfectly good.

I also played as the president, he is very clearly the best choice.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    $15 on amazon clearance right now, I just ordered it. This is one of the games I got a PS3 to play.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    3D Dot Game Heroes remains one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had on the PS3. It was pretty much nostalgia candy for me, a bit bucket of Zelda and Dragon Warrior wrapped up in meta-humor and old-school mechanics. If anyone's even remotely on the fence about it, I'd recommend playing it the first chance you get. Even without the obscure side quests, it's remarkably enjoyable. I did the whole Armored Core sidequest, actually, and when I got the sword that you earn from doing it, it wasn't as good as the sword I was using at the time.

I played around in the character editor for hours on end when I first got the game. I made Mr. Larrity from Code Monkeys, among others. There were a few websites with great designs you could download, but they seem to be no longer up at the moment... I will say, though, screw those dash circuits. I'm just not cut out for them. Oh, and this:
    Gilder wrote: »
    Oh and the bestiary is bullshit of the highest order. Hitting a crystal slime at all, let alone enough times to book it, without killing it is really hard.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Anyone ever make some cool heroes?

anoffday on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I own it, I tried playing it but got really put off that starting as a "mage" you get no magic, and have significantly less hit points.

The mix between FF and zelda is kinda cute, and being able to make your own character is cool.

Morkath on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeh, game was pretty fun; picked it up about a month after it shipped in the US. Think I made a poorly drawn samurai, a lizardman and a minotaur for heroes.

The bestiary sucked, though. Some of it was hard, sure, but mostly because it took such a goddamn long time.

Think I stopped somewhere mid-"From" mode on my second playthrough. Never had the courage to try the 1-shot mode.

Don't remember the races being that bad. You had to be near flawless, which was annoying, but it was only about 15-30 minutes to get the small block each time at most. The tower defense games on the other hand, took that long for a single run. Not that it wasn't fun anyways, but if you fucked up there... oi.

Awesome as all hell, though. Irritating if you're an OCD completionist, but there's been much worse.

naengwen on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This was one of the first games I rented when I finally got a PS3. Didn't really know what I was getting into outside the wacky graphics.

Zelda clone turned out to be pretty fun.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For some reason I played through two of the dungeons in this game and stopped playing. Not sure why. I'll come back to it eventually.

SteevL on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Its a really fun game, I just get hit a lot because I forget that even if they are on a lower 'row' than me they extend up to the row above them in a 'makes sense because thats how it looks' kind of way, but I guess I think a little too 3d about it and expect to be able to walk behind them.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just bought this game and beat the first dungeon. It's real fun and has no learning curve, because you know, it's Zelda.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the game but I can never play past the desert. Those moving tiles are bullshit of the highest order.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RembladeRemblade Pobodies Nerfect. Shepherd RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well played PA forum goers. You have yet again convinced me to purchase another game. I thank you, but my wallet is giving you the middle finger.

Remblade on
    PSN: Remblade
    3DS FC: 4940-5450-0161
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Remblade wrote: »
    Well played PA forum goers. You have yet again convinced me to purchase another game. I thank you, but my wallet is giving you the middle finger.

Right back at'cha you... wallet.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I gamefly'ed it. Enjoyed it all the way up to the desert then gave up. It was fun, but I'd rather just play a Link to the Past myself.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone esle had a problem with the game locking up when you leave a temple sometimes?

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The desert and the moving tiles was easy. The cacti show you the route through it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The desert and the moving tiles was easy. The cacti show you the route through it.

Yup, which a town person somewhere tells you. The real fuck off was the teleporters in temple 6 i think. Though I will always have a special place in hate filled heart for the block breaking mini game and the races and the collective 4ish hours spent only on those stupid tasks.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but there's other things in the desert and the temple you have to use those tiles to get that the cacti DO NOT show you. If all you want to do it get through it yeah, it's simple.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not that it was difficult.. I just felt like it took forever to get through. Instead of allowing us to walk directly there, they had us follow these stupid ass cacti. And, since I'm a completionist, I had to look around everywhere.

It just got tiring... And the sword mechanic got really old, really fast.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    Anyone esle had a problem with the game locking up when you leave a temple sometimes?

It's been a while, but I do remember having the game freeze up my PS3 on occasion. It remains the only PS3 game to ever lockup my system (though PS2 games do after long playtimes).

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    As soon as I get my new credit card I will find it ironic to purchase a PS3 game, so I shall purchase this one.

Obscurity with side quests is one thing - can I assume the critical path is just fine without it?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't think it is hard to figure out the main quest, but I have only cleared the first temple. I know where the second one is, I just haven't gone there yet.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They do tend to take a page from the old Dragon Quest games and give you little to no direction at times, leaving you to your own devices. But I can't say I honestly found it difficult to get through the main plot at least.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just got this when there was an Atlus sale on Amazon. I really like the style and the gameplay but man, the load times are brutal. They aren't super long as load times go, but they are ALL the time. Going from the over world to a cave or anything like that.
    That's my only real complaint though.

vamen on