As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engagement rings in Canada (more specifically, Edmonton)

vsovevsove ....also yes.Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been with this girl for a year and a half. And, frankly, about two months in I knew this was it. The big one. The relationship where you end up with someone who is, in pretty much every way, the person that it is a Good Idea (TM) to be with for the long term. Now, I waited - I wanted to make sure that this wasn't just my 'finally in a healthy relationship' blinders, and to see if we were, in fact, that compatible. Fourteen months later, I have to say that I'm convinced. Someone who'll take me out of my comfort zone and make sure I have a blast, and then the next night sit at home, eating popcorn and watching Supernatural? Heck yes.

Ahem. Anyways.

I've decided to pop the question, and am starting to look for a suitable engagement ring. Now, I know what she likes - there are particular shapes of diamonds she's a fan of, and as for settings she likes simple and slim (she's a slender girl and would look odd with a large band on her finger). She wants to travel and has told me not to follow the 'two months salary' rule for the ring, as she'd rather we spend the money going on a nice trip or buying something we both need.

Now, I know she'd be happy with something in the .5 carat range, but I'm thinking I'm going to aim a little higher. Regardless, I'm not looking to spend 6,000+ on a ring as some people have suggested. With all that in mind, I've started looking online and in-store. A suggestion was made that the best course of action would be to buy a diamond through Bluenile or similar, and then buy a setting at a local jeweler.

With all that in mind, I need help. I've never even considered shopping for engagement rings before, so this is virgin territory for me. I'm wondering if any of you wonderful folks have any experience with online shopping, or, just as (or even more) helpful, in-store in Edmonton. Places to avoid, places to look at, etc. I've already read up extensively on the four Cs of diamonds, but I'm still a little clueless as to where to go and how to go about this whole procedure. Any thoughts, wonderful H&A forum people?

WATCH THIS SPACE.
vsove on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why would you get the setting seperately/locally?
    Blue Nile is pretty damn awesome.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Why would you get the setting seperately/locally?
    Blue Nile is pretty damn awesome.

I've heard some complaints about settings from Blue Nile being a bit problematic - the gem not being completely set, that sort of thing. Now, to be perfectly fair - most of the complaints along those lines that I've read have been from a while back, and from the lack of more recent complaints I'm thinking that perhaps that may no longer be a problem.

Otherwise, I've certainly looked at the settings on BlueNile, and for a reasonable outlay of money I can get pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. So it's certainly something I'm considering.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fair enough. I bought my fiancee's engagement ring with blue nile a few months ago and no one mentioned anything about the gem being improperly set.

I went with this setting with a princess cut, so I don't know if those are more stable easy to set though. (it came out beautiful)

blue-nile-diamond-rings-round-and-baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-in-18k-gold-12-ct-tw.jpg

If you do decide to go locally, you may want to make sure they can set it in front of you. I have heard stories of jewelers swapping out diamonds.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't want to be that guy, but have you tried Spence diamonds in the west end? They advertise a lot on the bear, and from what I gather, they let you pick up any ring they have in stock.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can also get specifically Canadian diamonds. Less connection to most of the Diamond industry's less savory practices.

http://www.diamondinfo.org/content/canadian-diamonds.php

Seems like blue nile sells canadian:
    http://www.bluenile.com/canadian-diamonds?gclid=COrY_I6G2agCFUMUKgodYmwIDQ&rf=pd

You could also look at antique jewelry stores. You can find some great stones for much cheaper. The only thing to make sure of is the ability to return so you can get it looked at by someone who will be able to tell you that its a diamond/and its quality.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got my fiance's ring from Brilliant Earth, which also does Canadian diamonds and were really great to deal with.

I was like you in that I knew nothing about these rings. I did a ton of reading. Blue Nile has great information for people who have no idea, as does Brilliant Earth.

Just do a lot of reading, I would suggest. Keep your budget in mind and that'll make things easier.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't want to be that guy, but have you tried Spence diamonds in the west end? They advertise a lot on the bear, and from what I gather, they let you pick up any ring they have in stock.

Spence is a good spot to look for what you / she likes but I would not buy there again.

Spence is a sales front, they actually don't have anything in stock / made at the store. They have thousands of rings on display, and then they ship your diamond to Vancouver, ring gets cast and mounted there and shipped back. I ordered our ring there and we had an issue with it and tried to return it. We only had it for about a week or so but since we ORDERED it over 30 days ago, they wouldn't take it back.

If you want something custom or something special, I recommend David Keeling Jewellery. It's not as expensive as you think and it gets you EXACTLY what you want. He ended up casting 3 rings for us to get it just right with no additional cost.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, that sucks.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My wife's engagement ring was in a cathedral setting, I love the way it looks and it helps prevent the stone from getting snagged because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, make sure you talk about marriage before you pop the question.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We got all our rings (her two, mine) from Blue Nile and have been very happy with them.
    I really should dig up my old posts about rings, but keep in mind there's more than just the 4 Cs.

1/2 Caret is a good size, take a look at the off-sizes too like .65, .58, etc.

Pricescope is like the AVS Forums for diamonds, but (usually) less douche. Their on-line estimator is pretty cool - only works with Round, though.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One and a half years... popping the question... wha?

Awk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My wife's engagement ring was in a cathedral setting, I love the way it looks and it helps prevent the stone from getting snagged because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, make sure you talk about marriage before you pop the question.

At this point, we've discussed marriage to a not-insignificant extent. It's certainly something where we both know where we stand on the issue. That part, I'm not too worried about. Honestly, the biggest thing by now is just knowing where and what I'm going to be buying. And we've looked at a couple of rings online (we put one together on bluenile that she really liked), so I have an idea what she likes. I think I'll need to figure out her ring size surreptitiously, though - that's the other part I'm not sure about. Though I've got an idea on that count.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A good way to find out her ring size is by asking her mom. If/when you talk to her father/parents about permission, you could probably get the ring size from her mom.

Getting engaged after a year and a half isn't a big deal. I got engaged after a year and a half, but we'd known each other for 3 years and had dated on-and-off for a year before we were official.

For many people it's a LOT less than a year and a half. Don't forget that there's always an engagement period before you get married. I was engaged for a year and it was a great idea.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finding a ring she wears and bringing it to a a store also works; they'll match it to their sizer.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Finding a ring she wears and bringing it to a a store also works; they'll match it to their sizer.

She -had- a ring that she wore a lot, but lost it when we moved in together.

She's in Italy for two more weeks, and I'll be home Friday so I have about a week to be sneaky. I'm going to talk to her parents and, specifically, her dad about this and see if they know her ring size.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How set are you on a diamond? There are a lot of more radiant and other beautiful/rare stones out there. Personally, I will never buy a brand new diamond because of how disgusted I am by the diamond trade industry. I understand that this isn't a universal opinion, but diamonds don't have to be the end all be all of engagement stones.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you want canadian diamonds, my dad went through this place to get my mom a new ring when her old one broke. He seemed pretty satisfied with it.

http://www.canadian-diamonds-wholesale.com/

Lorek on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got my wife's at Ben Moss in WEM, their staff are really helpful.

The best advice I can give is get her to go with you and have her help you pick the ring out. She has to wear it and their staff are great at matching a ring to a person style wise. As well, they tend to be very affordable and have extended guarantees, etc.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    How set are you on a diamond? There are a lot of more radiant and other beautiful/rare stones out there. Personally, I will never buy a brand new diamond because of how disgusted I am by the diamond trade industry. I understand that this isn't a universal opinion, but diamonds don't have to be the end all be all of engagement stones.

Unless she has specified that she wants a specific, different stone he should stick to diamond. You don't go nontraditional on a whim. Women who prefer other stones tend to speak up about it.

I would caution against asking her friends or family what they think she would like. Unless you think she has told them what she wants, they're going to tell you what they think she wants which could be completely off the mark. I tend to throw my hat in with the 'take her shopping with you' crowd.

Also, congrats Vsove! I remember you posting about wanting to propose before, I'm glad you decided to take the plunge.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I measured my fiance's finger in her sleep, but she sleeps like the dead. I also was so nervous I measured the wrong hand. If you're close it is usually not a big deal to have it resized afterwards.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You can get a dummy ring to propose with from most shops that you're planning on buying from.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keep in mind when you are looking at engagement rings that some day you will be buying a matching wedding ring that will sit right next to the engagement ring.

I did not think of this when i bought my wife her ring, and i picked one out that had a lot of architectural work on the sides of the band as well as some diamonds and it was a real pain to find a wedding ring that would sit flush against it, and much of the detail is hidden.

Something to consider.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not every bride wears two rings. I would propose with a stand in.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not every bride wears two rings. I would propose with a stand in.

I suggested one of the bridesmaids, but got slapped.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Unless she has specified that she wants a specific, different stone he should stick to diamond. You don't go nontraditional on a whim. Women who prefer other stones tend to speak up about it.

Whenever someone says something like this I wonder whether they actually know where the tradition comes from.

That said, talk it over with her. Find out how she feels about stones other than diamonds.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Six wrote: »

Whenever someone says something like this I wonder whether they actually know where the tradition comes from.

That said, talk it over with her. Find out how she feels about stones other than diamonds.

I make it a point to at some point in the first couple months of dating someone, to talk about how opposed I am to buy diamonds and will under no circumstance ever buy a new one.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There are lots of traditional things with commercial origins, doesn't mean I have to hate on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer because he's not of some noble origin.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If the Rudolph merchandise trade had any effects similar to the diamond trade, I'd hate it just as much :)

Six on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And that is entirely different than your moaning about the origin of the tradition.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The tradition is rooted in the diamond trade industry. Hell, diamonds aren't even that rare in the grand scheme of precious gemstones.
    But this is getting way off topic and getting into D&D territory. OP, I recommend looking for heirloom diamonds if a diamond you must buy. You can also ere on the side of a larger ring to be safe. Its easier to remove material than to add.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And that is entirely different than your moaning about the origin of the tradition.

You think so? Fair enough.

As noted, this is outside the scope of the thread, though :) Happy to debate it elsewhere if you feel that strongly about the tradition.

Six on
This discussion has been closed.