As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New keyboard?

kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
Sup Penny-Arcade. I am thinking about getting a new keyboard. Mine doesn't seem like it is giving me a enough feedback and my fingers get quite tired after typing after a long period(other keyboards I can type longer and feel no fatigue). I don't think I can really afford a mechanical keyboard. I am thinking of maybe getting a keyboard like a laptop where there is very little space between the buttons and the mesh, but I am not sure how long they would last.

Any suggestions on a good, cheap, keyboard?

kleinfehn on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I bought a $7 Logitech keyboard and liked it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Depending on how often you make use of insert / home / the arrow keys, you may hate the natural keyboards. If they sold a model based on buckling springs instead of whatever switches they use in them, I'd never use another keyboard.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is the most sensitive and responsive keyboard that I have ever used.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Aluminum-Wired-Keyboard-MB110LL/dp/B000V07N9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304871941&sr=1-1

I simply cannot use another keyboard anymore, they all feel so spongy and slow.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    seabass wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Depending on how often you make use of insert / home / the arrow keys, you may hate the natural keyboards. If they sold a model based on buckling springs instead of whatever switches they use in them, I'd never use another keyboard.

I use those keys more often than an average person probably (I use the CLI a lot at work). I guess I've just gotten used to them.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    DarkwyndreDarkwyndre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just picked up a Razer Lycosa and I have to say that it is phenomenal. My wife has my old Logitech G15 which was great, and I gave that to her when I tried the SteelSeries SHIFT keyboard, which was an unmitigated disaster.

I got the Lycosa to try out Razer's quality before investing in one of their mechanical keyboards... so I will probably step up to one of the Black Widow series soon.

I really enjoyed the Logitech G15 and so far the Lycosa. I use my computer nearly non stop and both were comfortable and very responsive.

I use a slim apple aluminum keyboard paired for my ipad when I'm on the go, and that keyboard is also great, if a bit minimalist.

Darkwyndre on
    Playstation Network ID : EasySleeze
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got a black widow ultimate a few months ago and I can say it is easily the best keyboard I've ever owned, it even displaces the model M I had on my 486dx as the top keyboard. It's pretty much indestructible and very responsive. Since money is tight I'd recommend the not-ultimate but that's still around $80 I think :(

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whatever you do, do not get a keyboard with all that media button bullshit.

My boss bought me one to replace my keyboard that he spilled coke all over and it's terrible. It's like twice the size of my old keyboard and has all those fucking stupid buttons that I will never use.

I'll usually end up hitting 'em by mistake and launch word by mistake, a program that's in trial/demo mode because I don't use it, and it asks me to register every fucking time. Or I'll launch Windows Mail, which again is something I don't use and it just pops up the HEY CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT BITCH screen.

On top of all of that, I tend to have my own typing style that's not based on the home keys, and it seems like due to the size of the keyboard, everything is shifted over to the right a letter or two.

Annoying.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop