As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    10 BYOC passes left

zerzhul on
  • moodboommoodboom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    10 BYOC passes left

Yeah I jumped the gun, in complete spaz mode. Those last ones are slow to fill - I thought I'd blink and they'd be gone.

I don't think I'm gonna survive the PAX anticipation this year, my head may explode.

moodboom on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    moodboom wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    10 BYOC passes left

Yeah I jumped the gun, in complete spaz mode. Those last ones are slow to fill - I thought I'd blink and they'd be gone.

I don't think I'm gonna survive the PAX anticipation this year, my head may explode.

They also could already be filled... by people who paid by check or bank account and have to wait X amount of days for the payment to be processed. Are those people just going to be added in at the end again? Or are those last 10 seats on hold for them? Or what?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, I was gone all weekend for GiveCamp... I *think* I got a seat for me and my wife... we paid, but when we go to select a seat the screen is all black. Does that mean it's too late?

There is no select a seat. You pick your seats at the event.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there going to be a Casemod contest this year?

bitterfun on
  • Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Only 5 left!

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    <snip>

Thanks. Is there a reason why there are fewer seats this year? Did they expand Free Play or something?

No idea, we'd need someone official to give a response.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    edited May 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    <snip>

Thanks. Is there a reason why there are fewer seats this year? Did they expand Free Play or something?

imo I think it was because there were lots of empty spaces last year. I also believe they even did "at-the-door" availabilities for badges? Wut?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    <snip>

imo I think it was because there were lots of empty spaces last year. I also believe they even did "at-the-door" availabilities for badges? Wut?

ummm.. no, BYOC at PAX Prime 10 was sold out.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited May 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    <snip>

ummm.. no, BYOC at PAX Prime 10 was sold out.

Then I must be thinkin' East '10. So yeah, that is a good question, why are there less seats?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • MordoredMordored Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have purchased my BYOC ticket!!! I am concerned about seating though due to physical issues that I have. Will consideration be given for folks with physical issues for seating? For myself it would be best if I am in a aisle seat due to my use of a walking cane as it is sometimes difficult to move down a row of seats with a cane, not to mention if i am carrying a bag of swag :winky: I look forward to a response on this.

Mordored on
    I lick toads. Nuff said!
    edited May 2011
    Mordored wrote: »
    For myself it would be best if I am in a aisle seat...

My brother is a very large guy and has the same request. I realize it's hard to be fair with that kind of request.. but the bottom line is he wants to avoid taking up someone else's space, if it's possible.

moodboom on
  • VanusVanus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First time doing BYOC, and any real lan party really. It has come to my attention that I need new headphones; what are past attendee's opinions on Open vs Closed design?

Vanus on
    edited May 2011
    BYOC IS NOW SOLD OUT

BigRed on
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vanus wrote: »
    First time doing BYOC, and any real lan party really. It has come to my attention that I need new headphones; what are past attendee's opinions on Open vs Closed design?

Headphone selection is mostly personal preference based on what's comfortable for you. That said, I'd recommend Open, with full ear coverage. BYOC isn't that loud, but you do want to be able to hear what's going on, and full ear coverage is just more comfortable to me. One of the nice things about the expo hall is that there are usually a few audio vendors there, so you could always just wait until PAX, plan ahead with some extra money, and buy your headphones at the convention.

Last year I started off with a Sennheiser PC 151 headset. Good audio quality, but the small ear cups meant I was in serious pain after a few hours. I ended up buying a set of Turtle Beach EarForce Z2s in the Expo hall. Much more comfortable with a better mic. My only complaint is that the speakers are optimized mid-range delivery, which is great for hearing guild-mates on Vent, but loses a lot of richness in music.

shdwcaster on
  • VanusVanus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Vanus wrote: »

Headphone selection is mostly personal preference based on what's comfortable for you. That said, I'd recommend Open, with full ear coverage. BYOC isn't that loud, but you do want to be able to hear what's going on, and full ear coverage is just more comfortable to me. <snip>

Thanks! Yeah, I remember PC freeplay not being all that loud last year, except when BYOC was blasting the robot unicorn attack theme (Harmony! Harmony! Oh looooove!) at 1am... on repeat... I'm leaning towards the sennheiser hd555's right now (coupled with a clip on mic of some sort)

Vanus on
    edited May 2011
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    full ear coverage is just more comfortable to me...I was in serious pain after a few hours...

I love full-sized over-the-ear closed "cans". I'm in cubeville and I have to have my music. I can go all day every day at work with them without any discomfort at all. As shdwcaster mentioned, it can really hurt when your ears are pressed in any way for hours at a time.

That said, I've had a hard time finding large-enough closed phones (cheap ones anyway - they always skimp and my fat ears get clipped under them)... the ones I use at work are bluetooth, not what I want for gaming - I'd like to grab a good cheap wired set with mic - anyone have recommendations?

Also, over-the-ear may not be perfect if you're in a room and want to hear teammate chatter... but I'd say at PAX there is enough noise that the more you can cut out, the better.

Anybody have any in-ear advice to round out the discussion?

moodboom on
  • FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have purchased my BYOC ticket!!! I am concerned about seating though due to physical issues that I have. Will consideration be given for folks with physical issues for seating? For myself it would be best if I am in a aisle seat due to my use of a walking cane as it is sometimes difficult to move down a row of seats with a cane, not to mention if i am carrying a bag of swag :winky: I look forward to a response on this.

I don't know how the room will be set up this year, but in past years there has been a good five feet between the rows. Probably wouldn't even have a problem maneuvering a wheel chair into a row seat.

Also, it's rare that everyone in your row is there at the same time. So there's usually plenty of elbow room. If you're worried, probably best to be in line early to get the seat you want. :)

Fellina on
    edited May 2011

When I do group seating I make allowances for those with medical badges to reserve individual seats.

BigRed on
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I did the entirety of last year's Prime on forearm crutches and my BYOC seat was squarely in the middle of a row halfway up the room. I had no problems getting in and out. :)

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also, Rule #1 of PAX (Don't be a dick), applies. I feel comfortable in saying that most BYOC'ers would be willing to shuffle down a spot or two to accommodate them that need it.

Yuritau on
  • app87kapp87k Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Hi, sorry if this question has been already asked, but:

I purchased two seats at BYOC, I know this gives me two spaces, two seats and four electrical outlets. However, being as the limitation of a single seat/pass, is a 24 inch monitor, am I allowed to bring my 42 inch LCD since I purchased two seats? Please remember that if you take the single seat limitation of 24 inch LCD and multiply it by 2 you get 48 inches which falls above the 42 inch monitor I want to bring into the two seats I have purchased. I have also checked the power requirements of this LCD and they are not above a normal 24 inch monitors requirements. I, personally, don't see any issue. But I thought I should be safe and attempt to get a conformation of this.

Thanks guys!

app87k on
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ^Wow thats a big TV... Moving in are we? :D

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited May 2011
    LOL, why yes. That seems like a very good place to move into.

app87k on
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Personally I think it's a little ridiculous to buy two seats from a very limited (and now sold-out) pool just so you can have a 42" monitor for three days.

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I agree with algeria. I personally think we should remove the ability to do that since the idea was created when you could still buy BYOC passes at the door.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    edited May 2011
    Buying multiple passes for extra equipment is fine.

We dont do a raffle so having multiple seats doesnt give you a better chance at winning things. I make you people work for your free stuff :P

BigRed on
  • SHiZZAMSHiZZAM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow. I've missed BYOC somehow. Devastating, it was by far the highlight of PAX last year for me. Are there going to be any badges held for pick up the day before like last year? We had 2 friends miss out on the passes online but were able to buy them at the hotel the Thursday before PAX started.... Please tell me we can do this again! D:

SHiZZAM on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SHiZZAM wrote: »
    Wow. I've missed BYOC somehow. Devastating, it was by far the highlight of PAX last year for me. Are there going to be any badges held for pick up the day before like last year? We had 2 friends miss out on the passes online but were able to buy them at the hotel the Thursday before PAX started.... Please tell me we can do this again! D:

We have not saved BYOC passes for sale at the door previously. The past few years we have sold out far before the show. I believe last year, at the last minute, it was determined that we had a couple more seats than we previously thought, but that is probably a one time thing. BigRed would need to confirm that last bit though.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited May 2011
    Snickers wrote: »

We have not saved BYOC passes for sale at the door previously. The past few years we have sold out far before the show. I believe last year, at the last minute, it was determined that we had a couple more seats than we previously thought, but that is probably a one time thing. BigRed would need to confirm that last bit though.

I sure hope it happens again... or that you guys release some more tickets so we have 450 spots like last year (vs the 350 this year?). Still can't believe my friends and I didn't get tickets this year. Ugh.

SHiZZAM on
    edited May 2011

I sure hope it happens again... or that you guys release some more tickets so we have 450 spots like last year (vs the 350 this year?). Still can't believe my friends and I didn't get tickets this year. Ugh.

No harm in being hopeful! As long as you understand the chances are veerrryyy small that it will happen :)

Also, I know it sucks, but really, the news that they were live, and also selling out fast, was everywhere. It's the same with the 3-Day badges for PAX being sold out, you would almost have to be activly avoiding looking for the information, not to find it.

Just setup a text notification from the BYOC twitter account for next year, solves all problems!

Snickers on
    edited May 2011

No harm in being hopeful! As long as you understand the chances are veerrryyy small that it will happen :)

Also, I know it sucks, but really, the news that they were live, and also selling out fast, was everywhere. It's the same with the 3-Day badges for PAX being sold out, you would almost have to be activly avoiding looking for the information, not to find it.

Just setup a text notification from the BYOC twitter account for next year, solves all problems!

Yeah I just setup the twitter txt notification now in case anything else is announced... First time I've really logged in since PAX last year I think haha

Honestly I think I just thought i had more time. I didn't see any mention of the BYOC stuff on the PAX Prime page when I checked it, and the forums didn't have anything when I got my 3-day pass (1st day they went on sale) so I guess I assumed the announcement would be later and I'd somehow get a notification.... ass-u-me. lol :/

SHiZZAM on
    edited May 2011

Yeah I just setup the twitter txt notification now in case anything else is announced... First time I've really logged in since PAX last year I think haha

Honestly I think I just thought i had more time. I didn't see any mention of the BYOC stuff on the PAX Prime page when I checked it, and the forums didn't have anything when I got my 3-day pass (1st day they went on sale) so I guess I assumed the announcement would be later and I'd somehow get a notification.... ass-u-me. lol :/

Yeah, the BYOC not being on the main page makes it hard... And I don't think anyone expected BYOC sellout in less than a week :P

Snickers on
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Big Red, I will indeed be bringing my 42Inch LCD to BYOC then. See ya all there!

app87k on
    edited May 2011
    Ehh... BYOC has always just been on the forums and twitter. The only advice I can give is to just follow the twitter accounts and after PAX set it up for a text message alert for your phone if you want to know right away when it goes up for next year.

BigRed on
    edited May 2011
    BigRed wrote: »
    Ehh... BYOC has always just been on the forums and twitter. The only advice I can give is to just follow the twitter accounts and after PAX set it up for a text message alert for your phone if you want to know right away when it goes up for next year.

Or you can set everything up to text alert ALL YEAR! That way you'd be in the loop on most everything, but those darn IRC people can be super quick...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what the heck when did reg even go up for this???? Its usually way later. oh well, I was harsh flip flopping on going anyways since 09 was garbage in the lan. Oh well guess i'm going for a completely different pax experience.

ThePimpImp on
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BigRed wrote: »

BYOC suffers no fools.

Axon on
  • SkorMTSkorMT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh well.. :(. guess I missed out this year.. like first time in a few now ..

usually have my sites up and watching this .. but head cold last week.. put me in a stooper.. that and I seem to remeber it always landing around first week of June.. *shrug*

enjoy BYOC all .. at least I got my cool spec's and Nvidia blanket from last year to pull me through

SkorMT on
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    NVIDIA BLANKET? OMG Does want... 0.0

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
This discussion has been closed.