As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Say Hello to Halo Fest.

mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby.BaltimoreRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in PAX Archive
An event called Halo Fest will be happening at PAX Prime on the Annex' 3rd floor.

I don't like Halo and I tend to not like the 'bros' that only play Halo, but I think this news deserves its own thread.

Was I wrong?

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
mentok1982 on

• Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It does deserve its' own thread, even if I have the same opinions of Halo as you.

I wonder what they're going to be cutting out to make space for this - it was already crowded enough. If anything, this means PAX will sell out even faster...

Heleor on
  • Options
    LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As a Halo fan, I'm pretty excited for this.

Leevity on
    XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    even tho im no Console gamer, the original Halo is still by far one of the greatest games of all times. This event should be pretty epic. Just another great reason to go to PAX.

blAAAm!!! on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nice! If it's even half as cool as the Star Wars cantina I'll be happy.
    ^-^

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It'll probably add a few numbers to badge sales. Im not a big fan of the series, but I know quite a few people who are.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I for one am really excited for the event. Halo seems to be a rather loved or hated franchise, and most of the haters are the "I hate popular FPS games" crowd.

But most of those people don't seem to realize the Halo universe is just as in depth and diverse as Mass Effect, Star Trek, or Firefly. They just want to hate it because some of the guys playing it like to wear thier hats backwards I guess.

Anyways, as a guy that loves playing the games and reading the books I can't wait to see what 343 has for us. I'm rather expecting the official announcement of the remake of Combat Evolved, or if E3 gets that prize then even more info on it.

Clix on
  • Options
    ChaossebbaChaossebba Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sort of indifferent to Halo in general, it was one of the best games to play with friends online though due to all the custom game craziness. I'll probably go and have a look!

Chaossebba on
  • Options
    MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure it's something I'll check out while I'm there, but I'm about the most casual Halo fan there is. I certainly don't hate it, but I've never been filled with the sort of desire to play it online like some folks. But then, I'm a PC gamer at heart, so.

Mattaui on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It'll probably add a few numbers to badge sales. Im not a big fan of the series, but I know quite a few people who are.

How does it add badge sales to an event that has sold out the last few years?

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mentok1982 wrote: »

How does it add badge sales to an event that has sold out the last few years?

I meant add a few number to the DERIVATIVE of the rate of badge sales. Or the change of the rate of the change of badge sales increases. You know, accelerated numbers in badge sales? :S Yeah you get it *wink*

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sweet! another thing to check out!

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At least it will be in the annex.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    SmidgetSmidget Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm one of those that hadn't bought a ticket until this was announced.

I'm one of those people who had crazy LAN parties with the original Halo and have been playing them since so Halo is just one of those games that fills my head with memories of friends and good times when I think about it. 8v8 LAN with 8 in the house, CAT5's going out the top story window across the backyard for about 15 yards and into the window of a club house where the other 8 were. This was normal weeknight back then. I regret not having pics of it every time it comes up. After sitting at the "confirm purchase" screen for a while, I decided that this is one of those things that would be really nice to have a memory of as well.

I bought a ticket just to make sure I have one before they sell out but I'm waiting to hear more info on this to see if it is indeed going to be worth it. I'll sell the ticket on here if I end up not going. I went to East and wasn't planning on making the trip to Prime but because of what Halo is to me, this would be a pretty sweet capper to all those years.

Haven't been to a Prime since '08 and can't really remember what this space looks like. How much floorspace we talkin here?

Smidget on
    I read arrows
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We just updated PAXsite with a post on Halo Fest:

05-05-11 Halo Fest! Three-Day badges almost gone!
    We've been working closely with the folks at 343 Industries, and we're excited to announce that with a PAX Prime badge, you'll also get admission to Halo Fest! Packed with Halo tournaments, exclusive Halo panels, and sweet Halo prizes (yes, there might be some Halo there), the event being run concurrent to PAX Prime celebrates Halo's 10-year anniversary!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember the first time I played Halo. I looked at it, thought: shooting aliens? Sounds generic. Girlfriend's brother convinced me to play. The rest is history.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    At least it will be in the annex.

lolz ;-)

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can someone remind me which part is the annex? I'm familiar with the layout of the building, but don't know the names of the rooms and areas.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Only good thing that came from Halo, is Red vs Blue but that is my opinion.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can someone remind me which part is the annex? I'm familiar with the layout of the building, but don't know the names of the rooms and areas.

Wasn't it new last year? Where they had most of the tabletop stuff and local gamestore vendors? It was across the street from the main center (but accessible via skybridge). I could be wrong, I've been unsuccessful in finding last year's overworld map to confirm.

Vanus on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vanus wrote: »

Wasn't it new last year? Where they had most of the tabletop stuff and local gamestore vendors? It was across the street from the main center (but accessible via skybridge). I could be wrong, I've been unsuccessful in finding last year's overworld map to confirm.

In 08 and 09 the area over the skybridge was the expo hall, and where the expo hall was in 2010 was the queue room and main theatre in previous years. The expansion last year moved the main theatre to Benaroya.

The annex is over the street, I believe, but on a lower floor.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    In 08 and 09 the area over the skybridge was the expo hall, and where the expo hall was in 2010 was the queue room and main theatre in previous years. The expansion last year moved the main theatre to Benaroya.

The annex is over the street, I believe, but on a lower floor.

3 PAX Primes under my belt and I still confuse myself about the layout of the convention center... Yeah, the annex was across the street and labeled as the "hidden level" on the world map. Had to go through the expo hall, and down some stairs to get to it.

Vanus on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never played Halo much since I never owned an Xbox, always been a PS man, but from what I've played at friend's systems and seen on Rooster Teeth and such it's consistently one of the overall best FPS series out there, and it's high on the list of reasons I wish I got a 360 (XBLA being number one, Sony's shoddy business practices being number two). I'd never play it with strangers online, having learned my lesson from Black Ops, but it seems like it's the ideal splitscreen game for this generation, like the N64 James Bond games were for the late 90s.

I might check out this Halofest, unless it's just a big club party-type thing with blasting dance music or something intolerable like that. Not being a big fan already, though, it'll be low on my list.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking it's just going to be like a Microsoft booth but Halo only and in it's own location.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I'm thinking it's just going to be like a Microsoft booth but Halo only and in it's own location.

Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in its own theatre area, though.

Willeth on
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

So far they're promissing tournaments, special panels, give aways. It seems it'll be more than just a big booth.

tsrblke on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    HALO!!!!!!! I'm so excited. :D

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    Big_jonBig_jon Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    As a Huge Halo fan I say yes! And this will be my first year so man, what a good year to show up!

Big_jon on
  • Options
    TeknoRed10TeknoRed10 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i'm sure the vendors that market to the halo people in general like gunnars, astro gaming, and mlg may like this whole idea too...

love or hate halo, its still kind of a cool idea for bungie to do their 10 year anniversary at PAX

TeknoRed10 on
    "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule everything."
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    TeknoRed10 wrote: »
    i'm sure the vendors that market to the halo people in general like gunnars, astro gaming, and mlg may like this whole idea too...

love or hate halo, its still kind of a cool idea for bungie to do their 10 year anniversary at PAX

I would guess that since 343 Industries is the Halo custodian now that bungie might not have much of a presence (if any).

zerzhul on
  • Options
    cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well, it would be cool if bungie collaborated with 343 or did a little something for halo fest, they may no longer own it but they are synonymous with halo until their next big game imo

cedelacruz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I would expect Bungie folk to make an appearance but not in a big way. 343 are the guys behind this and Bungie are moving away from Halo pretty damn earnestly.

Also: All you huge Halo fans who I've never seen before? Come play Halo with the Penny Arcade Forums Halo group!

Willeth on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would expect Bungie folk to make an appearance but not in a big way. 343 are the guys behind this and Bungie are moving away from Halo pretty damn earnestly.

Also: All you huge Halo fans who I've never seen before? Come play Halo with the Penny Arcade Forums Halo group!

When do you guys play? I didn't see any times or anything there.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011

gunnars/astro only sells to MLG, and MLG is an extreme minority of the Halo userbase.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »

I would guess that since 343 Industries is the Halo custodian now that bungie might not have much of a presence (if any).

I would imagine that they'd have a panel or something for the 10yr anniversary of their biggest franchise.

Leevity on
    XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Leevity wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

I would imagine that they'd have a panel or something for the 10yr anniversary of their biggest franchise.

Bungie won't even have Halo forums on their site at that time anymore.

Their 'celebrate 10 years of Halo panel' was pretty much the one they had at PAX Prime '10

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    p0rtugalviip0rtugalvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Big halo fan and love the community. (minus the 12 yr olds and d-bags obviously.)
    Hoping for some awesome Grifball, MLG, Zombies, customs and especially some awesome swag.

p0rtugalvii on
    PSN: p0rtugal_VII
    XBL: DJBlackMage
    Youtube: p0rtugalvii
    Twitter: @p0rtugalvii
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Relativiox wrote: »

When do you guys play? I didn't see any times or anything there.

Whenever. We usually get a few people on and then invite more people and all of a sudden whoops impromptu BTB!

Willeth on
  • Options
    TeknoRed10TeknoRed10 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I stand corrected on a few things then...

GRIFBALL... That's what

TeknoRed10 on
    "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule everything."
  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will admit most of my halo days, came with 2. I played a bit of halo wars, did a whee bit of reach. Don't get me wrong.. I am in love with the lore behind it all. (As per my halo tattoo) And cannot WAIT for halo fest. Can we say.... Sploosh?!

Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Did you guys watch the latest PATV episode featuring the PA's trip to Bungie? You know the part where Bungie made everyone walk through dingy secret tunnels because Bungie is working on something secret?

Well I think that is only half of it. I think Bungie is working on something secret and they're using something secret to work on that secret thing. I think Bungie has the initial dev kits for the next Xbox console! The very ones that EA was rumored to have!

You can turn off your monitor so people can't see your secret game, but it is much harder to cloak all your dev kits from prying eyes.

DUH! DUH! DUH!

mentok1982 on