As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] Beta testers at war

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    So when I joined up on the Columbia server I spawn inside a block, I can't get out and I keep dying. Somebody help?

I'm at work but will take a look tonight when I get home.

DeShadowC on
  • The Future SoonThe Future Soon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to be whitelisted. I've played/helped on pretty much all the PA maps except N@W. Minecraft name The_Future_Soon. Big surprise, I know.

The Future Soon on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Laserval wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand what the f I just heard playing single player?

I was mining and I've gotten used to hearing the typical growling, but this time I heard what sounded like the start of an ambulance siren. It started low and reached the high point and then just stopped. Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention before, but this sound was awful. I guess you could also describe as the sound you hear in Psycho, that dun dun dun, only higher pitched and slower.

I think that is the wailing sound in the caves you mean? It doesn't happen very often (I've only heard it a few times). And yeah, it is terrifying.
    Yeah, wailing sounds about right. I seriously just quit the game after I heard that.

It didn't help that it was a new game and I was digging in the dark desperately trying to find some coal.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Laserval wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand what the f I just heard playing single player?

I was mining and I've gotten used to hearing the typical growling, but this time I heard what sounded like the start of an ambulance siren. It started low and reached the high point and then just stopped. Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention before, but this sound was awful. I guess you could also describe as the sound you hear in Psycho, that dun dun dun, only higher pitched and slower.

I think that is the wailing sound in the caves you mean? It doesn't happen very often (I've only heard it a few times). And yeah, it is terrifying.
    Yeah, wailing sounds about right. I seriously just quit the game after I heard that.

It didn't help that it was a new game and I was digging in the dark desperately trying to find some coal.

I think that sound marks midnight, and there's another (happier?) sound that marks noon.

Fleeb on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey someone else just asked, but I'd also like to know. What are some cool mods. I've been playing minecraft for a few months now and I want to try out some new stuff.

edit: What's with all the people asking about Columbia. I thought that was down? Is it back on a server somewhere?

anoffday on
  • GrainGrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Occulus wrote: »
    So, I just got Minecraft. It's digital crack.

What's essential to download? I shall trust in the forum's opinion on this.

I really love the John Smith texture pack. It retains the spirit of the original sprites, but just makes them look so much nicer.

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
    edited May 2011
    Hey someone else just asked, but I'd also like to know. What are some cool mods. I've been playing minecraft for a few months now and I want to try out some new stuff.

edit: What's with all the people asking about Columbia. I thought that was down? Is it back on a server somewhere?

Second post of the thread. On a side note I'm not ignoring the white list requests just at work right now. Ween I get home tonight I will go through the thread and do them.

DeShadowC on
    edited May 2011
    Grain wrote: »
    Occulus wrote: »
    So, I just got Minecraft. It's digital crack.

What's essential to download? I shall trust in the forum's opinion on this.

I really love the John Smith texture pack. It retains the spirit of the original sprites, but just makes them look so much nicer.
    I've always used this http://painterlypack.net/

I love how you can choose what you want each item to look like.

anoffday on
  • CptnNickCptnNick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TripKMA wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    So many goddamn cool mods coming out.

Dual-wielding, with left-click for left and and right-click for right hand! And zip lines! Mo' Creatures for 1.5_01! Game of Life! Sloped blocks! Revamped tree generation! Have the entire world contained in glass spheres!

I can see this ending up like how Bethesda games always do for me; more time spent trying mods than playing D:

That last also has a mod that turns creepers into cluster bombs D:

C'mon now, you can't leave out AdventureCraft. It's the most ridiculous shit ever. Except for, you know, all the other ridiculous shit ;-)

I also REALLY like the Millénaire mod. Just be sure you have a decent rig because it can cause a lot of lag on older pc's.

Letting those guys build a village is pretty awesome to watch, but helping them out and upgrading the city yourself is pretty awesome as well. I have an awesome village on a coast on a save of mine.

CptnNick on
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not spawning in a block anymore, I'm spawning in lava. This is annoying.

Edit: Now when I spawn I'm just floating in nothing and then the game crashes.

Edit 2: Now I'm spawning in some tiny space, deep underground. It looks like someones been here before, cause there's a torch here.

dbrock270 on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Edit 2: Now I'm spawning in some tiny space, deep underground. It looks like someones been here before, cause there's a torch here.

Ouch. When I loaded up the two Col/Rap server backups posted in the last thread, I spawned in mid-air on one (falling to my death), and inside leaves on the other :P (luckly the leaves decayed pretty fast before I suffocated)

Speaking of which, my God there were so many cool things on that server (many of which I didn't see when I originally visited). The entranceway of that snow palace was freaking amazing!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited May 2011
    Ok, I just spent ten minutes digging up to the surface, and now I have no idea where I am.

My XYZ coordinates are:

x:-136
    y: 66
    z: 647

The fact that the place I spawned had a torch in it makes this much more interesting. Who was there before me?

Edit: Now I'm dead.

Edit 2: Now I spawned back in that same underground room.

dbrock270 on
    edited May 2011
    Grrrr I keep spawning there. But I did find my way back to the city, but then I always die trying to get into the city.

dbrock270 on
  • Yosemite SamYosemite Sam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Ouch. When I loaded up the two Col/Rap server backups posted in the last thread, I spawned in mid-air on one (falling to my death), and inside leaves on the other :P (luckly the leaves decayed pretty fast before I suffocated)

Speaking of which, my God there were so many cool things on that server (many of which I didn't see when I originally visited). The entranceway of that snow palace was freaking amazing!

It was posted on last thread? Can someone hand me a link? I've always wanted to return to the old Col/Rap. I miss it.

And hey, dbrock, have you tried /warp spawn?

Yosemite Sam on
    edited May 2011

It was posted on last thread? Can someone hand me a link? I've always wanted to return to the old Col/Rap. I miss it.

And hey, dbrock, have you tried /warp spawn?

Voila:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19177409#post19177409

These are in the old map format so you have to sit through a fairly lengthy conversion process to play. Also strongly recommend swapping to peaceful - I'm pretty sure SMP didn't have mobs at the time so I doubt things are lit well enough to prevent spawns :P

P.S. - Since I'm exploring them in SSP, it's fun to ninja stuff from the chests with big "DO NOT STEAL FROM THIS CHEST!!!!" signs over them :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so I'm building a pretty massive library.

My reed farm is so big I think I've unlocked a Vietnam biosphere.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Batmantis wrote: »
    Can I get whitelisted for Columbia too? Minecraft name is Batmantis.

Done
    I'd like to be whitelisted. I've played/helped on pretty much all the PA maps except N@W. Minecraft name The_Future_Soon. Big surprise, I know.

Done
    Grrrr I keep spawning there. But I did find my way back to the city, but then I always die trying to get into the city.

Fixed

DeShadowC on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Should add Aza's Arid Texture Pack to the OP list.

Beautifully done and has a great theme, plus its being regularly updated.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also requesting a whitelist for columbia.

Minecraft name is caridin. I actually worked a little bit on Columbia when you guys were first making it, but then school got in the way.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Knight Of AwesomeKnight Of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday, would you like to commandeer a apartment in new-Columbia perhaps? :lol:

Just as long as you don't light something on fire... or other horrible things

Knight Of Awesome on
    lastfm_red_small.gif 4jGb8.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can anyone recommend some "best practices" for building larger structures, especially floating structures? I tried my hand at it a couple months ago, and found the process of maintaining scaffolding dynamically around a moderately complex project was incredibly tedious.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2011
    Can anyone recommend some "best practices" for building larger structures, especially floating structures? I tried my hand at it a couple months ago, and found the process of maintaining scaffolding dynamically around a moderately complex project was incredibly tedious.

Not really a way around scaffolding unfortunately. Personally I usually make myself a nice pillar of dirt and when I'm done, remove all of it with a shovel to get back down (and also make everything look nice again). Remember you can hold Shift to "sneak" which will prevent you from falling off. This is useful for placing scaffolding (or any block you are standing on really) sideways.

Sand/Gravel also works well for creating a make-shift pillar to get down from high places since you can drop it and have it fall to the ground until it stacks enough that you won't take fall damage.

Either that, or intrinsically know the amount of fall damage needed to kill you, and carry many, many porkchops :D

Warlock82 on
    edited May 2011

Building up in the air sucks dude, that's all I can say.

Using gravel or sand for the scaffold pillars can make taking them down easier though.

Best thing to do is plan ahead, know where your building is going.

EDIT: or flip it over to peaceful when you're building then just make sure the fall won't one shot you.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you should add dokucraft to the op if you haven't already.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=224969

constantly being updated and has wild grass support!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fair enough. I appreciate the advice. Mostly glad to know I'm not "doing it wrong." I keep on wondering if the amazing structures I see are the product of shrewd planning or merely obsessive dedication.

Aside from scaffolding, is there anything else I should be considering for large structures? I just can't see how people can create some of these elaborate (and sometimes rather exact) structures just by eye.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2011
    A lot of people use blue printing tools and 3rd party programs.

Personally I'd rather be the architect than just the construction worker, so I usually spend a lot of time building shells and frames in dirt first.

Pulling up photos of buildings that have features you're trying to mimic can help.

Keep in mind that 1 block = 1 meter, which can help get proportions right.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited May 2011
    anoffday, would you like to commandeer a apartment in new-Columbia perhaps? :lol:

Just as long as you don't light something on fire... or other horrible things
    ha, NO.

Knight, you have been banned from any of my future minecraft apartments, condos, lodges, or any other living quarters.

edit: AdventureCraft looks awesome. Has anyone ever created a dungeon and posted it in here to share? DokuCraft also looks awesome. I'm liking the dark version.

anoffday on
  • Knight Of AwesomeKnight Of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Knight, you have been banned from any of my future minecraft apartments, condos, lodges, or any other living quarters.

On the contrary, I'm the one offering you a apartment this time... and your room doesn't even exist yet, or rather... existed 8-)

(The whole thing is a shell at the moment)

Knight Of Awesome on
    lastfm_red_small.gif 4jGb8.jpg
  • overnightfutureovernightfuture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

On the contrary, I'm the one offering you a apartment this time... and your room doesn't even exist yet, or rather... existed 8-)

(The whole thing is a shell at the moment)

who needs apartments when you good ol' park benches

(im a hobo)

overnightfuture on
    edited May 2011
    Moridin wrote: »
    Also requesting a whitelist for columbia.

Minecraft name is caridin. I actually worked a little bit on Columbia when you guys were first making it, but then school got in the way.

Done

DeShadowC on
    edited May 2011
    Ok. I just punched a creeper to death with my bare hands and didn't get an achievement.

anoffday on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    < Requesting whitelist access to the Columbia server. I've been a builder on it before.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just installed the Biosphere mod and started it up. I spawned in a snowy biome with a massive lake of lava directly in front of me. Now I get to watch the lava's heat burn-up all the trees!

Hexmage-PA on
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Was it this one?
    lobby.png

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As we continue to develop the next iteration of Nations at War, we're filling the time by resuming work on an older PA community project...

COLUMBIA: CITY IN THE SKY

What is Columbia?
    Columbia is a flying city which we are constructing as a 1:1 recreation of the one found in Bioshock: Infinite, in a manner similar to how we built the underwater city of Rapture. Because the game is not out yet, we are creating our version by referencing the gameplay trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0fDEA0BFSM

You can download the above video in HD at this link.

Our city of Columbia has somewhat of a storied history behind it. We initially began the project back in September, prior to the release of the above gameplay trailer. Our impression of Columbia was informed only by a handful of screenshots and a short promotional trailer. As such, the Columbia we constructed bore little resemblance to the one in the video above:

greetings.jpg

While charming in its own way, we realized how much we had missed the mark when the gameplay trailer debuted. Accordingly, we started the project over with the goal of literally recreateing the trailer, in as close a fashion as possible, in Minecraft. When we are done building the city, I intend to film a frame-by-frame recreation.

Unfortunately, Notch threw a wrench into our plans around Halloween. The patch he released on October 31st introduced a dire lighting bug into the game that caused the map to become essentially unplayable - any players in the area were subjected to 2+ minute clientside lag as the program engaged in what appeared to be an infinite lighting recursion. We brought the issue to Notch's attention, but it remained unresolved for many months, and the project passed into obscurity as something that could have been awesome.

However, with recent changes to the game - including a new file format for maps - Columbia appears to work once more. As such, we have decided to resume work on the project and finally complete this god damned white whale of a dream.

columbiacomparison.jpg

While we are somewhat limited by the restriction of 128 blocks of height to work with, we've managed to accommodate and scale our designs to fit within the required dimensions while still allowing for a field and terrain beneath the city.

What can I do to help?

Firstly - study the trailer. We have put a lot of work into making an accurate recreation so far, and your efforts in furthering this goal will be greatly appreciated - and will also spare us the heartache of having to redo areas.

Focus on completing what's already there. Many of the buildings actually involved in the trailer have already been built. Some are reasonably complete on their exterior, but are empty and lack any interior furnishings. Others are little more than a building front or facade, like what you would see on the set of a movie, placed only so that we had spacial reference points while laying the city out. It is our eventual intent to see our Columbia as a fully completed city, which means we will need to flesh all of these details out. For now, however, priority should be placed on finishing areas up that are vital to recreating the trailer. One important thing we have completely neglected thusfar are the platforms upon which the buildings are actually located. Part of this is due to the fact that the buildings themselves were more necessary in helping figure out spacial relationships; the other part is that we don't really have a clear idea of what's down there. A close look at the trailer will indicate that there seems to be additional buildings constructed into the sides of the damn platforms:

colref008.jpg

I think it's a foregone conclusion that those balloons are involved. :P However, we're going to have to figure out what we can do with the undersides.

Some players have decided to create their own, original flying buildings, rather than assist with the trailer-centric ones. This is perfectly fine, though the more people that help with the 'vital' buildings, the better. The plan for these original buildings is to put them in the 'outskirts' around the trailer area - they will essentially be the nondescript buildings you see off in the distance, for filming purposes.

Note, however that if you plan on creating an original building, you should not do it in the city itself. We have a large, open field that has plenty of space, and we can easily move buildings that have been constructed around, so put that shit out of the way. Most players treat the field below as a testing / conceptualizing area, and that's fine. If it's an actual building from the trailer, however, you're allowed to build it in place - otherwise, you're unlikely to get the scale right.

I want to pause here and just warn you guys: The fact that you've built it does not mean it's going to be incorporated into the city. The admins retain discretion on making the call here - if you've built a flying brick shithouse, we're going to pat you on the head, smile knowingly, and ignore it.

As mentioned, a lot of the buildings already on the map date back to before the Halloween patch, which means there have been a lot of new blocks introduced in the interim - for example, we now can use all manner of colored wool, different half-blocks, nether materials, note blocks, etc. This means we might want to revisit some of these original areas with an eye to improving them.

Here are a number of reference photos, taken from the trailer, that you may find helpful while working on Columbia:
    colref001.jpg

colref002.jpg

colref003.jpg

colref004.jpg

colref005.jpg

colref006.jpg

I have tasked Cilantr0 (Molybdenum on the forums) with figuring out the 'skyline' - those neat flying railways you see everywhere. In addition to the parts that obviously feature in the trailer, I hope we will be able to fully incorporate a working citywide transit system.

THINGS TO HELP YOU WORK ON COLUMBIA:

Firstly, we've decided there's no point in trying to do this 'legit' anymore - not after all these months. Accordingly, we've given players access to the /item command. You can give yourself blocks by typing /item [data id], where the ID number represents the block you wish to obtain. You can find a big damn list of data values here. If I find individuals abusing this - say, by dumping lava buckets everywhere - I will both ban them and laugh at how easy the plugins we have on the server makes cleaning up such shenanigans. You are encouraged to use whatever materials are required, but the moment this starts straying into griefing territory, your ass is gone. We log everything.

If you're smart enough, you can install a clientside flight mod - I recommend Zombe's at the moment, as it's the most versatile by far. We have enabled it on our server so that it doesn't kick you if you're zooming around. The installation instructions are available at that link.

For those of you without a clientside flight mod, or who can't get it working, we have enabled compass teleportation. Left clicking with a compass will warp you to where your cursor is; right clicking will warp you through where your cursor is. The distinction is basically that right clicks go through walls, whereas left clicks drop you ontop of them.

I will eventually be making a texture pack specifically for use in Columbia so that we can better approximate some of the things in the trailer. For now, though, if you're looking for a good 32x pack, I'm going to pimp my own thing out and point you to a version of the Nations at War pack I've updated for 1.5. You MUST use the HD Texture Patcher to make this work - if you don't, we're going to have a good laugh at your expense when you log in and start asking "WHY DO GOLD BLOCKS LOOK LIKE THEY'RE ON FIRE!?"

Things of note:

Weather is still enabled on the server atm, so you may get a thin coating of snow here and there. Don't worry about it, it's not the end of the world. I'll disable it later.

Fire spreading is disabled. Lava will not start fires. Lightning will not start fires. If you're trying to set a fire for some effect, use netherrack and a fire block - item 51 - and it should still work fine.

Ein on
    edited May 2011
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

Was it this one?
    lobby.png

Yes, that room is awesome :D

Warlock82 on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is the Diannaochong server down? D:

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited May 2011
    Talith wrote: »
    Talith, you should check out the SE+ server. Ask to be whitelisted in the thread.

anoffday on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Talith, you should check out the SE+ server. Ask to be whitelisted in the thread.

I just wanted to add the finishing touches to my home and tree. :(

I kind of want a copy of the server now, in case it ever goes down permanently I can always run through it in single player.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • GrainGrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I just wanted to add the finishing touches to my home and tree. :(

I kind of want a copy of the server now, in case it ever goes down permanently I can always run through it in single player.

That is also my biggest concern with multiplayer. My friends and I have been discussing renting a minecraft server, but I don't want to put all of this time and effort into something and then when our subscription ends we've lost it all.

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720