As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SvK wrote: »
    speaking of awesome manuals.... original homeworld manual.

Oh man I got the edition that had the manual, the players guide and the soundtrack.
    Great package, even better game

What really happened to Sierra?

Snowblindvictim on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like to think they are cursed by demons for breaking up Dynamix.

Drake on
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dynamix may have been the source of Tribes, and we all love them for that, but can you really blame Sierra given that Tribes 2 was, bless its well-meaning heart, one of the most insanely bug-riddled games I've ever seen that actually had popularity?

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope we can do some base building. I loved that part of Shifter.

GuildNavigator on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope we can do some base building. I loved that part of Shifter.

Pfft. Bases are the little things you have until 3 minutes in the game when a skiing lance of heavies mortars your shit into oblivion.

Real men die with what they spawn with and consider energy packs, mines, or grenade launchers as gifts from the Gods.

zerg rush on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skab wrote: »
    So it looks like Hi Rez is at least in the right frame of mind with things. Again, from their facebook page:
    Hi-Rez Studios, developer of the upcoming Tribes: Ascend multiplayer FPS, will be providing prizes for the championship team in the Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament.

The project was initiated by a dedicated player and has blossomed into a full 240 player tournament. The tournament is currently in its third week and will continue for a total of eight weeks of Tribes 2 action. At the end of the eight weeks the winning team will be rewarded with Tribes: Ascend gear and an opportunity to participate in a private Q&A session with the Tribes: Ascend development team.

“This is a great opportunity to reward dedicated players of the Tribes franchise and gather valuable perspective from top tier players,” says Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios COO.

Hi-Rez representatives will be watching and attending games as the tournament progresses.

Adds Stew Chisam, Executive Producer of Tribes: Ascend, “We are excited to see how this plays out. We are preserving all the key elements of a Tribes game: most importantly frenetic pace and unparalleled maneuverability. And it will be interesting to see what nuances high-level players and teams most value as we continue to develop our successor title.”

“Despite being over a decade old, the Tribes franchise continues to have a dedicated following, and players both new and old are thrilled by the extent to which their passion is shared by the Tribes: Ascend team. We hope that this year will mark not just the anniversary of a legendary game, but the birth of a new one.” - Wormwood, Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament Administrator

Tournament updates and the winner will be announced so stay tuned and keep an eye out for Hi-Rez-tagged spectators in the upcoming weeks.

It'd be sweet if there were VODs or something of these matches, I'd watch it

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I played so many hundreds of hours of Tribes 1&2 my memories are all a blur of the various maps and mods. If they can just re-create the fun of being a sniper on the edge of the map, far from the action, headshotting guys who are just grey outlines in the distance while listening for the sound of someones footsteps/jetpack sneaking up on you, I would be more than content.

If they just improved the graphics and gave us the exact same game I would not be upset.

I loved camping guys like you. Jerk

Bigity on
    edited March 2011
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    Dynamix may have been the source of Tribes, and we all love them for that, but can you really blame Sierra given that Tribes 2 was, bless its well-meaning heart, one of the most insanely bug-riddled games I've ever seen that actually had popularity?

I think it's likely that Sierra had more to do with a buggy game getting released than a studio that had a pretty good track record for putting out stable products. Starsiege, for instances, was fine right off the shelves.

Drake on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »

I think it's likely that Sierra had more to do with a buggy game getting released than a studio that had a pretty good track record for putting out stable products. Starsiege, for instances, was fine right off the shelves.

yeah this was always my assumption, sierra pushed the game out too early which lead to the patches for 2 years, sierra pretty much earned my spite for life when they gutted dynamix, they definitely were and still are my favorite dev team

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skab wrote: »
    So it looks like Hi Rez is at least in the right frame of mind with things. Again, from their facebook page:
    Hi-Rez Studios, developer of the upcoming Tribes: Ascend multiplayer FPS, will be providing prizes for the championship team in the Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament.

The project was initiated by a dedicated player and has blossomed into a full 240 player tournament. The tournament is currently in its third week and will continue for a total of eight weeks of Tribes 2 action. At the end of the eight weeks the winning team will be rewarded with Tribes: Ascend gear and an opportunity to participate in a private Q&A session with the Tribes: Ascend development team.

“This is a great opportunity to reward dedicated players of the Tribes franchise and gather valuable perspective from top tier players,” says Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios COO.

Hi-Rez representatives will be watching and attending games as the tournament progresses.

Adds Stew Chisam, Executive Producer of Tribes: Ascend, “We are excited to see how this plays out. We are preserving all the key elements of a Tribes game: most importantly frenetic pace and unparalleled maneuverability. And it will be interesting to see what nuances high-level players and teams most value as we continue to develop our successor title.”

“Despite being over a decade old, the Tribes franchise continues to have a dedicated following, and players both new and old are thrilled by the extent to which their passion is shared by the Tribes: Ascend team. We hope that this year will mark not just the anniversary of a legendary game, but the birth of a new one.” - Wormwood, Tribes 2: Ten Year Anniversary Tournament Administrator

Tournament updates and the winner will be announced so stay tuned and keep an eye out for Hi-Rez-tagged spectators in the upcoming weeks.

It'd be sweet if there were VODs or something of these matches, I'd watch it

Theyre on Youtube

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man TRIBES, <3<3<3

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

yeah this was always my assumption, sierra pushed the game out too early which lead to the patches for 2 years, sierra pretty much earned my spite for life when they gutted dynamix, they definitely were and still are my favorite dev team

This happened after Havas/Vivendi bought Sierra. The company became a lot more corporate, apparently, and Sierra was torn apart, too.

Orogogus on
    edited March 2011
    Orogogus wrote: »

This happened after Havas/Vivendi bought Sierra. The company became a lot more corporate, apparently, and Sierra was torn apart, too.

That explains why Babylon 5: Into the Fire was cancelled at the same time. So much rage over that one too. That would have probably been my favorite Space Sim of all time.

Drake on
    edited April 2011
    New concept art from Facebook, from a map called Drydock
    198111_192433974132283_174337252608622_469594_4752410_n.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    looks good, whats the facebook page called? I tried searching tribes ascend and hirez but no real luck

TheKoolEagle on
    edited April 2011
    Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I loved the idea behind tribes, and played a lot of tribes 2 but it always felt like something was lacking. Looking forward to this

Tommatt on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As long as I can bob my Wildcat below the water to shake missiles/jump out at an angle, I'm okay.

Edith Upwards on
    edited May 2011
    Facebook page coughed up two new art pieces, this time for vehicles:

223236_198511310191216_174337252608622_505885_7322036_n.jpg

229276_198511576857856_174337252608622_505886_2539645_n.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Meh. Vehicles are for dicking around/pulling crazy stunts with. Real men ski.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I hope there are a good number of maps with no vehicles, and then a few massive maps made for vehicles.

Fizban140 on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Meh. Vehicles are for hovering over enemy bases while the Heavy passengers rain mortars downward..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

And let's face it, Sierra in that time period were a bit of dicks.

No, I'm still not bitter about the cancelled Mac version of Tribes 2 & Half-Life, why do you ask?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »

And let's face it, Sierra in that time period were a bit of dicks.

No, I'm still not bitter about the cancelled Mac version of Tribes 2 & Half-Life, why do you ask?

Wasn't Sierra having money problems at the time? They had Blizzard, but their main games were not doing so hot if I recall right. Adventure genre had flatlined, Starsiege was awesome but not getting nearly the attention Mechwarrior was, Tribes was awesome but not getting the attention Quake was...

It's been a while, but I don't remember things being super rosy for Sierra at the time.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sierra never had Blizzard. The two companies had the same parent organizations through several sales, mergers and the like (CUC, Cendant, Havas, Vivendi and Activision).

Orogogus on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, Shrike and the 'wildcat' are back. Look fundamentally the same, too. Do we think they'll actually do the series justice?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Meh. Vehicles are for hovering over enemy bases while the Heavy passengers rain mortars downward..

Which was surprisingly inneffective unless it was a 64 player map.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2011
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Oh, Shrike and the 'wildcat' are back. Look fundamentally the same, too. Do we think they'll actually do the series justice?

No. But nobody else is even trying (I guess Section 8: Prejudice and Firefall kind of count?) so really it's better that they try and probably fail as long as that means they have a tiny chance of success, because just imagine how amazing it would be to have another game that lives up to the legacy of Tribes.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2011
    SCREENS

kfWKC.jpg

Gu05d.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Screenshots are worthless, this is a game you have to see in action.

Fizban140 on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the jet streams off the packs and the little details...that looks fantastic. God i hope Hi-Rez doesn't fuck this up like they did Global Agenda.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited May 2011
    This is how you pregame for blue balls.

Fizban140 on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Almost seems like a shift back toward the Tribes: Vengeance visual style, which I am absolutely cool with.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    edited May 2011
    If that base in the upper right of the first screenshot is actually accessible and not just eye candy, that's a good sign. Otherwise Fizban is 100% correct about needing to see it in motion. Go skiing or go home, basically.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Those shots look sexy. Also totally loving to see a couple of the T2 vehicles making a return.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's so pretty, cant wait to see some video.

815165 on
    edited May 2011
    i approve of the screenshots, but as noted earlier tribes is a game you have to view in motion

TheKoolEagle on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I see large outdoor environments. I see jetpacks. I see hills.

Is it sacrilege to say I'd really like to see a grappling hook?

#ilikedtribesvengeance

Jasconius on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Screenshots are worthless, this is a game you have to see in action.

Or not see due to it being obstructed by a Spinfusor the size of a small moon, as the case may be.

Garthor on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nothing wrong with Vengeance. Would have been damn good if it got any dev support whatsoever. I had so much fun with it in the beta version, but it was dead within the month come launch. Grappling hooks were no doubt the best idea to come out of it. Those stupid little missile shooting orb vehicles were no doubt the worst.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
This discussion has been closed.