As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kronus vs. the Image Dump (Page 8)

• KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alright I'm finally back at it after taking a break during exams. I went back and played Portal in preparation for Portal 2 and came up with a couple of really simple designs. I actually ended up finished Portal 2 in one sitting last night, I took loads of screenshots for ideas but I think it's going to take a day or two to let my brain settle.

5650497389_624ff47c14_z.jpg5650817129_02c6c78571_z.jpg

My goal is going to be to churn out something every day or two while I'm not working for the next month. Every bit of practice helps!

EDIT: I updated the second one with the Portal cursor in the center, I knew it needed something else but I didn't think of it until just now as I was loading up TF2. For reference, it was just the circles before, with a couple more smaller ones instead of the cursor.

Kronus on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aww man those are sweet. I hate those though, it's the kind of simplicity that slaps you in the face and you go AWWWW why didn't I think of that. Just as Olly Moss' stuff does. I love it!
    (clarification: I don't hate them they're awesome)

m3nace on
    edited April 2011
    Thanks I appreciate it, that's definitely what I'm going for! His work is probably my biggest influence, his style has always appealed to me ever since I saw his stuff on PA a few years ago.

Kronus on
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I normally hang out in the photo thread but I wanted to pop in to say I love the stuff you're doing. Keep it up.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited April 2011
    Opened up Photoshop with only a vague idea of what I wanted to do, which I have again learned is not a great idea. Spent the better part of the night just messing about with random things until I ended up with this. Probably wouldn't have come up with this if I tried to plan it beforehand, but I wouldn't have been at it for 6 hours either. Totally lost track of time.

DarkSide.png

I think I have a thing for concentric circles.

Kronus on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Good luck on the daily challenge thing!
    The deathstar looks great! but i think the vader in the back perhaps unbalances it a bit.
    Does it really need the vader?

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited April 2011
    Do you think this helps?

DeathStar.png

EDIT: Yeah I like this a lot more, thanks!

Kronus on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this would look beautiful as a nice big print in a pictureframe. Seriously digging this.
    i understood why it was tempting to put the vader in, but for me it's almost perfect now.

i think this could even have some success as a t-shirt (threadless?)

your minimalist stuff is heaps better than your "busier" designs.
    20070322oliver.jpg
    Can i have some more?

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited April 2011
    I actually wanted to try to come up with some submissions for Threadless this summer but I hadn't considered this piece as a possibility. I'm going to sit down later today, clean it up a bit, and see what I can do about turning it into a shirt! For now I have to finish up yesterday's picture that I didn't quite finish, but I think this might be my project for today.

Kronus on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The portal ones don't do much for me but the death star is fucking great. Ingenious design.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
    edited April 2011
    I couldn't think of anything clever to do with the stems, but it turned out okay for thinking it up on the spot. Three other ideas failed throughout the day (somehow I made a poster for the Captain America movie that seemed to imply that he was a Nazi D: ). Just wanted to have something finished for the day! I have thoroughly messed about with the circle/line stuff, I don't think I can push it much farther than I did with the Death Star piece so I'll leave it be for a while.

Pac-Man.png

I started in on my Threadless submission earlier today, I'll finish it up and see what you guys think tomorrow.

Kronus on
    edited April 2011
    How does this look?
    ThreadlessEntry.png

I also need to come up with a name, hrmm

Kronus on
    edited April 2011
    Is your intention for it to have that smirk because of the one curved dark line? I'm not a fan of that but maybe it's just me.

saltiness on
    edited April 2011
    There's supposed to be a line going across that isn't built yet, that's what I was trying to do there. I'll see if it looks better with a few more lines to try to get it to look the same as the picture, but if that doesn't work I'll probably just shorten that one curved line a bit so it doesn't stand out as much. As it is, I definitely see what you're saying about the smirk (it's particularly noticeable on the shirt).

EDIT: Adding more curved dark lines gives it a Joker-style smile D:

EDIT 2: Got rid of it instead!
    ThreadlessEntry3.png

Kronus on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would buy that.

acadia on
    edited April 2011
    Much better!

saltiness on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    You should make a maternity version with the image over the belly.

Bagginses on
    edited April 2011
    Neat, my Two Towers picture made it onto someone's tumblr and was well received! :) I am very pleased. Here's my stuff for yesterday and today. Sorta similar in theme, I thought of the Pac-Man one months ago but never got around to it, which eventually led to the SMG idea which I think is a bit better in execution.

5669748369_113e80cafd_z.jpg

5670675904_54c48fcf67_z.jpg

Kronus on
    edited May 2011
    Awesome, the shirt is up for voting!. Please ignore the lame name, I was a bit worried about it getting rejected for copyright reasons so I had to think a little outside of the box.

EDIT: I haven't forgotten my goal of making a few designs a week, but I got an email on Friday asking if I could start my research a few weeks early so I've been a bit busy the past few days. I was working on something for Wind Waker over the past couple of days but it didn't turn out all that great so I decided that I'll revisit it a little later (and then the rest of my night was spent doing stuff for the Threadless entry). I hope to come up with something decent tomorrow night! :)

Kronus on
    edited May 2011
    that tee looks amazing!

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited May 2011
    Finally managed to finish something, can't wait to see this on the weekend

5692404260_796452c4ac_z.jpg

Kronus on
    edited May 2011
    Changed it up a bit with a dark green background :P

5694862691_f8fc2897a5_z.jpg

Kronus on
    edited May 2011
    Kronus wrote: »
    Changed it up a bit with a dark green background :P

5694862691_f8fc2897a5_z.jpg

I'd suggest adding a couple of triangles to make a ricasso with parierhaken for a more distinctive appearance.

Bagginses on
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's missing...something that I can't quite put my finger on, but holy crap I'd buy that t-shirt everyday.

Edit: this could completely go against the style you're going for, but maybe make the empty triangles the colors that match the Master Sword itself, like blue cross-guard, silver blade, etc. Just a thought.

JLM-AWP on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I see what you're saying, I tried it but I think where I used few triangles as possible it doesn't seem to lend itself well to that picture.. I'm going to try it with the Hylian Shield though, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Kronus on
    edited May 2011
    I gave it a shot but the shield didn't turn out so well, I'll leave it for a while and revisit it when I come up with a fresh idea. Been a little sparse on the arts the past week, my work schedule is getting a bit more structured so hopefully I won't be as worn out in the evenings. Here's last night's project:

5724750633_66abaf65db_z.jpg

My goal this week is to make something a little more dynamic than just a small, centered image with lots of blank space.

Kronus on
    edited May 2011
    Okay I branched out a bit, maybe not as dynamic as I had hoped but I'm slowly moving outside of my original comfort zone.

raiders.png

Kronus on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the painterly stuff coming out of the exploding Ark, but the texture in the background could be either toned down or put to better use. Right now, it's just kind of blank back there, and the texture doesn't do much for it. You could allude to the canyon-y setting that this actually takes place in, and use that texture to help define that stuff (a simple lighter or darker color would suffice to create the canyon silhouette).

acadia on
    edited May 2011
    I gave it a shot but it looked a little wonky perspective-wise (it looked like the arc was sorta floating there) and the more I tried to fix it, the more layers I had to add. After a while it looked like I was trying to recreate the scene exactly, which I wasn't really digging. I think I'll leave this one as is, it was an idea I had a few months back but never got around to it. I tried a few different things with it, adding a bit of depth to the ark and such, but I didn't account for it in the planning stages so trying to change it at the end wasn't yielding great results. Oh well, now I know!

5753060693_2ecf3db5ec_z.jpg

Kronus on
    edited May 2011
    Try making the background a bit more angular and stretching it vertically.

Bagginses on
    edited June 2011
    Had a bit of a creative block for a week, during which I substituted photoshop for rewatching six season of How I Met Your Mother (worth it).

5809246119_88873ebff3_z.jpg

Kronus on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Flip it upside down, so the frets are on the bottom.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I actually did try that, but I thought it looked pretty awkward. The bottom of the guitar is fatter than at the neck, so if you flip it in this perspective it gets all weird and looks like a spider. Moreover, if I move the guitar any closer to the bottom, the foreground gets rather small. Here are a couple of mockups, thoughts?

guitarzero.png

EDIT: To be honest, the buttons at the bottom were a pretty late addition so I didn't really thoroughly think through the logic of having the frets continue below the body of the guitar. But I really like the perspective and colours, and would totally do a Rock Band one if I can think of a better way to do it.

Kronus on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I would put it at a more extreme perspective, making the guitar smaller and less squashed

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    The flipped one?

xtremeperspectiv.png

Kronus on
    edited June 2011
    however you flip it, i still think it's rad, WITH buttons and all. _really_ enjoying page 3 of this thread.. Keep it up dude.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    thats essentially what I meant, yeah, but thats a little faint. I don't know if theres a way to give it a little more boldness without making it weird.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    okay, you posted something as i was posting my comment, i actually prefer the earlier ones over this (the guitar's body all squished like this)

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited June 2011
    I like the positioning of the guitar in #3 but I like the size of the buttons in #1. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot I should be aiming for.

Kronus on
    edited June 2011
    Been working on this for the better part of a week now, along with similar ones for Prime 2 and 3, but it just isn't sitting well with me overall. I think I'll cut my losses and come back to it if I get any better ideas. At the very least it was fun to make the planets for each game (I actually did Zebes as well).

metprime2-1.png

Kronus on