As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Warriors, Heroically Leaping into your Hearts

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Makershot wrote: »
    Good news, everyone!
    Colossus Smash now ignores 50% of a hostile player's armor (PvP), but continues to ignore 100% of a non-player character's armor (PvE).

From the PTR notes. It's about time they implemented different effects for PC and NPC combat.
    I wonder who died for this change. You see, every time Blizzard makes an ability work differently between PvE and PvP, a Blizzard employee dies. That's why they're apparently so loathe to do so.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Buddies, he's referring to this:
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Magmaw's mace is 3.6, Cho'gall's axe is 3.6, but Nef's sword is 3.8 (probably to maximize its homage-ness to the original Ashkandi).
    the rage normilization tied to sta
    ?

Oh, and after last night's raid, it seems fury is back to being a high tier DPS spec. So... Kalgan is happy and all is right with WoW again.

Rage generated by damage taken will be based on the health of the player

So the way I see it getting hit by whatever boss aoe ability will give you less rage in TG than in SMF. As dps you will not be hit as often but it still is a source of rage.
    Err, what are the mechanics behind this, exactly? I guess I've never seen anything that says you get less rage per damage taken if you have more stamina.

Here you go forty:

http://www.wowhead.com/blog=151357/rage-normalization-in-cataclysm
    But I don't see how he gets that idea from that post. All I found on it is:
    2) Rage from damage taken will no longer be based on a standard creature of the character’s level, but instead will based on the health of the warrior or druid. Again, there is a constant that is multiplied by the rage generated in order to allow for fine-tuning. This calculation ignores all damage reduction from armor, absorption, avoidance, block, or similar mechanics, so improving your gear will not reduce Rage gained.
    It doesn't say anything about more stam->less rage, though. It even specifies "improving your gear will not reduce Rage gained."

forty on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is strange. Thanks Forty.

Edit: My most recent post on this is after a jump in 6k unbuffed health. It seemed very noticable but according to the blue it should be but to me it has been. Dunno.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Might just be unlucky or coincidental miss/dodge/parry streaks. I assume your hit and expertise is pretty low as it is with most tanks? When you've got a ~20% chance for a failed attack, it's not out of the question that you might just be missing a bunch of auto-attacks early on and ending up with shitty TPS for the pull.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I actually kept those pretty high for that initial 1min. Once the interrupts come off the hit then I will probably swap out of those two for more mit etc.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dunno what causes it. All I know is that I spend most of Magmaws fight wishing his attack speed was higher, because I go through that whole fight rage starved.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I dunno what causes it. All I know is that I spend most of Magmaws fight wishing his attack speed was higher, because I go through that whole fight rage starved.

For the initial pull it can be a pain. I usually keep vig on the highest dps so I can taunt off thier threat but one trick I use is when the head is down and its my turn on the rotation I charge, shout, lifebloom to fill the old rage bar right before he goes back up. Also I have removed Heroic Strike from my rotation almost entirely.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »

For the initial pull it can be a pain. I usually keep vig on the highest dps so I can taunt off thier threat but one trick I use is when the head is down and its my turn on the rotation I charge, shout, lifebloom to fill the old rage bar right before he goes back up. Also I have removed Heroic Strike from my rotation almost entirely.

Oh I don't have threat issues, aside from the fact that I have to taunt him when he comes out of a head phase since I lose all aggro when he starts nomming me. It's just the entire fight all I hear is 'need more rage need more rage need more rage'

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nevermind. Looks like what I was whining about isn't true any longer?

Buddies on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so I was wondering about Fury vs. Arms current patch. There have been arguments.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My understanding is right now all three Warrior dps specs (Arms, TG, SMF) are all very close to each other.

Feels good man, feeeeeeels good.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, warrior DPS specs have never all been as close together in viability as they are now/were in 4.0.6.

We have a DPS warrior with both an arms and fury spec that he switches between depending on encounters, and I literally wouldn't know it from Recount without hovering over his name to see his top attacks.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So i played around last night with Arms. My gear has improved significantly since the last time I was Arms and I didnt play around with Fury yet but I was doing a bit over 2kdps more to the training dummy than I did the last time I did TG Fury. I also was just messing around and didnt play the spec to its fullest potential as well. The best thing about the quick test was it was consistant dmg. Right at 14kdps. Happy Days!

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I got two 1h str weapons from the Troll heroics over the last few days and decided to switch from TG to SMF. I was swinging Cho'Galls axe and a Wyrmbreaker.

How screwed am I now? Did I just ruin my dps?

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apparently none, since TG and SMF are apparently really close in dps right now.

I imagine it depends on your weapons. If your 2 1h'ers are vastly better than your 2h'ers, you should see a dps increase with SMF.\

Rock on!

Ender on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Why would you go from 359s to 353s?

forty on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well there may be times where it would be beneficial e.g. to replace a piece of haste gear for arms. I would not downgrade weapons though. Weapon damage is too important.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Especially with the upgrade to weapon dmg for Fury in the patch. Although one of the 2handers he had was for Arms.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes, we're talking about weapons here.

forty on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is a weapon's swing speed ever taken into account when calculating the damage of a particular swing, or is it purely the actual damage range? I ask because I just picked up the 3.6 speed Jeklik's Smasher which has higher DPS than my previous 3.8 speed Blade of the Fearless, and the damage min/max on the Smasher (hehe) are just a bit higher than on the BotF. So if it's purely the damage range then JS should be better, whereas if it's not then it gets more confusing.

Smasher on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    there used to be some weird AP coefficient with swing times, but I have absolutely no idea how that sort of thing is calculated now.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, that was a big part of the reason why the Arcanite Reaper was so amazing back in the day. I know they changed it so the AP contribution was normalized to a particular swing speed by weapon type (so all 2Hers were considered to have the same swing speed in that regard, and similarly for 1Hers and daggers); I'm just not sure whether there's some other effect I'm forgetting that would make a difference.

I suppose I could go back to grinding archaeology to try to get a Zin'rokh, but it was painful enough doing the 30-50 I've done so far that I'm not sure whether I really want to bother.

Smasher on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At least for auto attacks, weapon speed is used to translate AP into weapon damage.

IIRC, it's +1 DPS per 14 AP. For example, 7000 AP provides an additional 500 dps.

Smasher: 500 dps * 3.6 sec delay = 1800 bonus dmg.
    BotF: 500 dps * 3.8 sec delay = 1900 bonus dmg.

Yet, the Smasher's increase in min/max dmg and STR makes up for the lower AP bonus.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smasher wrote: »
    Is a weapon's swing speed ever taken into account when calculating the damage of a particular swing, or is it purely the actual damage range? I ask because I just picked up the 3.6 speed Jeklik's Smasher which has higher DPS than my previous 3.8 speed Blade of the Fearless, and the damage min/max on the Smasher (hehe) are just a bit higher than on the BotF. So if it's purely the damage range then JS should be better, whereas if it's not then it gets more confusing.

Actual damage range is what matters. Weapon speed used to be a big deal but it was normalized a long time ago.

Weapon speeds were normalized thus:
    * Dagger: 1.7
    * 1H Melee: 2.4
    * 2H Melee: 3.3

So all weapons of that class are treated as having that particular weapon speed for purposes of determining damage. It simplified which weapon to use. When you have a choice always use the one with the higher top end damage.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Unless there's a ridiculous speed difference, ilevel pretty much always wins out at this point. Yeah, a 346 3.8 speed like BotF or the TB rep sword might beat a 353 (possibly even a 359) with 3.3 speed or something, but there aren't any that exist. Besides the pre-endgame, you pretty much never see a strength two-hander with a speed below 3.5 or 3.6 anymore.

forty on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did they do something to prot warrior rage? I was sitting at full rage the whole damn night and could not spend all of it even spamming devastate and heroic strike. Usually I'm able to starve spamming HS and devastate when SS, revenge aren't up but tonight it was like being on my wotlk paladin again. The bar was just red. It never really dropped below 80.

It's anecdotal but it certainly felt different.

danx on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Switching from TG to SMF and downgrading my weapons from 359 to 353's turned out to be a huge success. The SMF playstyle seems to fit me better. I had dps increases on every fight we did, in some fights by 2k+.

Really hope we have the people on to do Heroic Magmaw tomorrow night. I want some heroic Lava Spines!

The ptr notes are up, and I know everything is speculative, but I was really underwhelmed by the 4pc bonus. I'm sure it'll be great for Arms and TG, but it seemed pretty meh for SMF.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Personally, I think I'd rather end up with a shitty 4 piece bonus so I don't feel shackled to using (potentially) inferior set pieces just to hang on to a bonus that's pushing my spec up.

forty on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkson wrote: »
    Switching from TG to SMF and downgrading my weapons from 359 to 353's turned out to be a huge success. The SMF playstyle seems to fit me better. I had dps increases on every fight we did, in some fights by 2k+.

Really hope we have the people on to do Heroic Magmaw tomorrow night. I want some heroic Lava Spines!

The ptr notes are up, and I know everything is speculative, but I was really underwhelmed by the 4pc bonus. I'm sure it'll be great for Arms and TG, but it seemed pretty meh for SMF.

dual heartless'?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm relatively new to warriors in general; I just finished levelling mine up to 85 and have been running dungeons mostly as prot. However, last night I got pulled into a 7-heroic marathon session, and I realized that I totally have no idea how to properly DPS as a warrior. It was a guild group, so everyone else's DPS was 15k+ (and mine at a not-even-comparable 7k). This was in an arms spec that I was trying out (despite having leveled TG Fury the whole way).

Not wanting to be a scrub, I decided to hit up the target dummies and practice, trying out all sorts of specs. I tried out my arms spec, which was a standard spec I grabbed off of talentchic. I was able to average about 6.5k DPS on the raid dummy, and closer to 7k on the regular 85 target dummy.

I then swapped to TG Fury, using another standard talent build. I believe I had 914 hit rating. My dps was on the low end of 6.2k on the raid dummy and 6.5k on the regular 85 target dummy.

I then swapped out again to SM Fury, using the same talent build, but with SMF instead. Hit rating dropped to about 800 hit (since one of my 2H had about 100 hit on it), but my DPS shot up; I was approaching 9.5k on the raid dummy and 10k on the regular dummy.

My two 2H weapons are about item level 316 each, and my two 1H weapons are 346 and 333 (so I realize this will likely contribute to DPS differences).

TL;DR, at my current gear level (admittedly low, a mixture of greens, 333s, and 346s), SM Fury > Arms > TG Fury. My questions for you warrior gurus are as follows:
    1. What sort of hit rating should I be trying to achieve for DPS in heroics with TG Fury and with SM Fury?
    2. What rotations should I be using for each? What about stance-dancing? Is that something I need to do in any of those specs to maximize DPS? I wasn't really stance-dancing at all. Hell, I hardly know what stance I'm supposed to be in for DPS when not tanking :)
    3. What's a good DPS spec for someone with relatively low gear? I realize it'll be pretty subjective to playstyle, but I hate to be "that guy" in the heroic. If I'm going to participate, I'm going to at least work to be adequate.

Any responses are appreciated! I realize I'm asking a lot of questions all at the same time (and fwiw, I know my tests in DPS were hardly scientific).

DiamondGFX on
    ain't got one
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you only care about heroics, you only need 6% hit, which is something around 720 hit rating. You'd also want to get up to about 6% (24) expertise as well if you can, but not at the cost of any strength.

forty on
  • Options
    DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it's pretty unlikely that I will ever be DPSing raids on this character, as my main is a Holy Paladin and I've been tank healing with the same raid forever now. For the record, I totally think every tank healer should be forced to roll a tank at some point; it's already given me a nice bit of insight on when to prepare for big heals and cooldowns-unavailable sort of situations.

DiamondGFX on
    ain't got one
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you only care about heroics, you only need 6% hit, which is something around 720 hit rating. You'd also want to get up to about 6% (24) expertise as well if you can, but not at the cost of any strength.

Won't he only need 361 hit rating since we get 3% hit from precision?

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's true. I guess it seemed like he hadn't quite settled on a spec yet. Either way he needs 6% hit, but if he's getting 3% from being Fury, then you're right, only 361. Otherwise 721.

And I guess if he's Arms he doesn't actually want to aim for expertise.

forty on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So am I right in thinking Vigilance is pretty useless in 5-mans and not something I need to take while levelling?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking Vigilance is pretty useless in 5-mans and not something I need to take while levelling?
    It most definitely shines in a raid setting, where you can slap it on the other tank and reap the sweet, sweet Vengeance. But the free taunts can come in handy in a five-man if you've got issues with stray mobs gunning for the healer.

Then again, holding down big groups in the leveling dungeons is a piece of cake. Skipping Vig until later ain't gonna get you laughed out of the Warrior club.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Reasons Why Heroic Leap is AWESOME case #37:

You can Heroic Leap over the maze on the Venoxis encounter.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You can heroic leap over all sorts of stuff... the latest use for me is puddles on HMaloriak.... that combined with rocket jump = awesome. It is also very helpful if you "accidentially" get hit with a knock up spell and need to not take fall dmg.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I have License To Slay, Crushing Weight, and Heart of Rage.

I think I should use the Wright and Rage, as arms. Figured I would get you opinions.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is haste decent for Arms? I'd think the Crushing Weight proc would be kinda lackluster for Arms. Do you have too much hit elsewhere and that's why you're avoiding the License?

I guess the only way to be sure would be to hit up a sim site and see what they say.

forty on
This discussion has been closed.