As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• Options
    weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lemming wrote: »
    Yeah but it takes like 2 hours, TOPS, to unlock everything.

is that so? hmm... i must be playing with my toes & blindfolded or something because i played 2 hours and i ain't seeing everything. closer to nothing than to everything.

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did you do the ATI hotfix that was released specifically for Brink?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1880283

i just uninstalled that - no difference.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Unlocking weapon mods is pretty quick. Unlocking appearance customization options and abilities requires XP and leveling up, which will take time.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lame.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    _Debaser__Debaser_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So far I haven't been having any problems with Brink running on my PC save for the pretty awful netcode. I do prefer to remain optimistic that Splash Damage will own up and fix the problem shortly.

I'm not about to go into a "you whippersnapper" rant but the day one jitters don't really shake my faith in the game. Back when I first got into multiplayer games almost twenty years ago, unstable releases and glitches were guaranteed. The console people have just gotten too used to polished products. :P

_Debaser_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    Another game "developed alongside PC" that doesn't have a fucking FoV menu option? Dammit.

In how many games released within the last 10 years can you change the FoV without using the console? The only one I can name off the top of my head is Team Fortress 2. And that had already been out forever when it was added.

I'm surprised at how some people want their FoV to be. Even at 90, which some people seem to treat as the minimum, gives a slight fisheye lens effect.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm watching videos and I'm seeing a lot of people skipping intros, then not knowing what to do. They keep doing it!

SvK on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So... anyway to stop random OpenGL crashes?

I'm on an nvidia 460 1gb with the most recent drivers. Played the challenges fine, did a quick match it crashed partway, played a full match fine, came backa little bit ago to play another round and this one crashed again.

Same error. Google search is only turning up forum posts for enemy territory

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm having a really odd graphics issue that the 11.5a hotfix did not fix. Screenshot in this spoiler:

Anyone have this and fixed it?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Checked that Morphological Filtering is off in your driver options? It's a longshot, but I've noticed that grid effect in a couple of games, and it seemed to be dependent on MF being on.

Suriko on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got a couple hours in and had a pretty good time.

With average settings the game was running perfectly smooth on my couple year old quad core w/ 8800GT. Sound still cut out a couple of times during matches and wouldn't return until I disconnected back to the main menu.

Bots are terrible and singleplayer is pretty much a waste of time.

Multi feels just like Enemy Territory though, which is an excellent thing. The whole smart system is fun too. It feels kinda quirky at times, but I'll chock that up to my unfamiliarity with it.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    _Debaser_ wrote: »
    So far I haven't been having any problems with Brink running on my PC save for the pretty awful netcode. I do prefer to remain optimistic that Splash Damage will own up and fix the problem shortly.

I'm not about to go into a "you whippersnapper" rant but the day one jitters don't really shake my faith in the game. Back when I first got into multiplayer games almost twenty years ago, unstable releases and glitches were guaranteed. The console people have just gotten too used to polished products. :P

Of course you could also look at it as old men clinging onto broken products as though there was any value in a product being unstable at release, and the PC market infecting the consoles with the idea of "day one patches" and releasing unfinished games for full price with the unfair, unspoken, usually untrue assumption that they will be supported longer than two weeks

I remember when you just put a disc into a drive and it would just fucking go and I didn't have to download or install nothin'

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really hope there will be a quick fix for this performance either from Splash Damage or from AMD with better Catalyst drivers. I'm not sure who's to blame here.

But either way, I'm feeling nervous about having dropped $50 on this.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Welp, looks like I can't play anymore until the game is patched.

Worked perfectly for the hour or so I played before, but now whenever I load it up, all text displays fine but all graphical elements are a solid blue field, both in menus and ingame. Not a fucking clue why.

edit: found a screenshot from someone else of what I'm seeing:
    20281D89894E63AEE8B6BAA21D31910698522FC4

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

Of course you could also look at it as old men clinging onto broken products as though there was any value in a product being unstable at release, and the PC market infecting the consoles with the idea of "day one patches" and releasing unfinished games for full price with the unfair, unspoken, usually untrue assumption that they will be supported longer than two weeks

I remember when you just put a disc into a drive and it would just fucking go and I didn't have to download or install nothin'

there's a valid point buried under all that cynicism and entitled bullshit but it's so damn hard to see

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

there's a valid point buried under all that cynicism and entitled bullshit but it's so damn hard to see

It's how I roll

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First impressions:

a) It is very pretty
    b) Saying this game can be played single-player is misleading: it has bots and about as much narrative as L4D2, although less effectively delivered.
    c) Seems to be good fun online so far
    d) It is very pretty

edit: looks like I'd been beaten to most of my points

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Had my first real 16 player game on a godo server. This game is awesome.

Also the Barnett Light Rifle is the weapon of the gods. One shot, one kill. My medic rampages across the land killing foes and healing friends.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where from the main menu do you even get to name your character / online username?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, at 20 frames per second on LOW and herky jerky servers, all I see is "potential".

Glad I didn't take tomorrow off. Hopefully the devs and AMD get the driver situation figured out.

Tried 10.4 and 10.5a on my 5870.

no worries on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so is anyone else at all getting that blue screen issue?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KungFu wrote: »
    Where from the main menu do you even get to name your character / online username?

shift tab, right click on change profile name. it uses your steam display name

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    no worries wrote: »
    Well, at 20 frames per second on LOW and herky jerky servers, all I see is "potential".

Glad I didn't take tomorrow off. Hopefully the devs and AMD get the driver situation figured out.

Tried 10.4 and 10.5a on my 5870.

You want 11.5a. Make sure to clean off your old drivers etc before installing, just like any other driver update.

If it's still not behaving, who knows.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game seems hella bad ass but man the bots are all over the place and it seems like it would be so easy if people just worked together more.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My performance observations:

On an nvidia card and I have everything cranked up EXCEPT ambient occlusion, and the thing is pegged at 85 fps (my refresh rate) 100% of the time. Ambient occlusion kills my fps though.

Now, playing single player I was shocked by the fact that fraps would show 85 fps, but the game felt like no more than 30. My eyes quickly got tired. I thought something crazy must be going on. I joined a multiplayer game and bam, smooth as butter! So something is wonky with bots or sp in general. Online it's perfect.

Sensational on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    port 27015
    p/w wang

For some reason the browser likes timing out but it will work if you do the direct connection.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    welp this is sounding like the Borderlands PC release

a game I ended up having lots of fun with despite the massive shortcomings

I think I'll be able to DEAL WITH IT

Senshi on
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    so is anyone else at all getting that blue screen issue?

OO oo, me. It sucks. It only periodically happens during games but man does it suck.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, that GiantBomb Quick Look actually calmed some of my fears for Brink. Can't wait to wake up in the morning to go pick it up. I just hope retailers don't pull a Portal2/MK9 and sell it for $40 next week!

Turkey on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got my refresh rate problems sorted out and the game is fun! Barely any teamwork at the moment of course, but it's just a matter of people learning the maps and roles.

Certain appearance choices being permanent struck me as a tad odd, as does having to go down a level to repick perks. I guess they want you to have several characters seperately.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The server is also being troubleshooted for the issues of joining from the browser. So if it gets reset, TOO BAD. DEAL.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, the first map is 100% unwinnable as Security... There is no way I can believe this was playtested extensively. We had them pinned in their spawn with 3 turrets just killing people as they rounded the corner into the only entrance to the rest of the map.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My performance observations:

On an nvidia card and I have everything cranked up EXCEPT ambient occlusion, and the thing is pegged at 85 fps (my refresh rate) 100% of the time. Ambient occlusion kills my fps though.

Now, playing single player I was shocked by the fact that fraps would show 85 fps, but the game felt like no more than 30. My eyes quickly got tired. I thought something crazy must be going on. I joined a multiplayer game and bam, smooth as butter! So something is wonky with bots or sp in general. Online it's perfect.

Same exact thing on my end. Buttery smooth in multiplayer and nothing else.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CripTonic wrote: »
    Oh man, the first map is 100% unwinnable as Security... There is no way I can believe this was playtested extensively. We had them pinned in their spawn with 3 turrets just killing people as they rounded the corner into the only entrance to the rest of the map.

and stuff like that never happens in well established and tested TF2 maps

could be the map is bad

could be the opposing team was bad

can't base a judgement on one match

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Had never heard about this game until people were talking about PSN being down possibly hurting it. Gonna read up on it and see how you guys think it is :)

Tommatt on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60202/Brink-Reviews-Are-A-Mixed-Bag-Some-Thoughts

Interesting read, and I have to agree, I've only spent maybe an hour with the game and Joystiq's review is absolutely terrible.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm really liking the game. I'm not sure it should be a $60 release on consoles, but I payed under $40 on PC which is about what I think it should be. The only way to play the game is in multiplayer. The "story" is shallow as heck and with dumb-as-rocks AI I don't think it would even be that fun in co-op, but get a bunch of people online and the game shines.

The game runs decently enough on my rig, which is not that much better than the minimum system requirements, so I'm kinda baffled at hearing a bunch of people having performance issues.

Only one crash so far and to be honest I was kinda asking for it. Alt-tabbing in and out on a game that taxes your system is never a good idea.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Been playing for the past 3 hours, for a whil eon figmint's machine and then on Sladvan's server.

game is fun, got to level 6, mostly been focusing on engineer.

but the server browser is a huge pile of crap. It badly needs the ability to use filters, most of all to be able to only show dedicated servers.

Also, and this should go into the OP, everybody should do the 1 Star Challenges. they unlock a bunch of new gear and are basically tutorials.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Played a round on slavadan's server. It plays much better on a dedicated server.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So how does this work; can people trigger the objectives? Are they linear (complete a then b triggers)? Can peopel trigger any map objective at any time? How many objectives are there per map?

ghost whistler on
This discussion has been closed.