As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tick! Tick?

FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts becomein that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was mushroom hunting today. Came home got naked, took a bath, got back into my dirty clothes. An hour later I had a bug crawling on my arm, it looked like a tick!

So I flicked the tick, it landed on my keyboard and crawled inside. So after literally debugging my keyboard for the last hour I have him trapped on a piece of tape. It looks like a male deer tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is the right size. There is a white tail deer back in the spot I was checking today, I saw it and it's tracks were on some of the same trails I was using.

Until I get my gf to look me over for bites I won't be sure it didn't feed on me. I've never had a tick before. How worried do I need to be about diseases from it? What symptoms do I need to look out for?

I live in NE Indiana.

Foolproof on

• RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Your risk is basically 0.

Ticks latch on for periods longer than a day. If you'd been bitten, the first indication you'd have had would be finding the tick and proceeding to have a hissy fit. Though I may be projecting on that last point, it's a completely reasonable reaction.

Do get your GF to look - ask her to check your scalp very, very carefully. Check your pubes, too.

Raekreu on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have had more than a few ticks feed on me for short periods of time (I lived in the woods and worked as a taxidermist assistant). I have never had lymes or any other tick borne disease. You are most likely fine even if the tick bit you (which the one you found didn't).

If you are worried, look up the symptoms of Lymes disease

Dunadan019 on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Edit: Thanks guys, I am kinda creeped out right now. I actually had a spider on me a few days ago and it didn't bother me at all once I made sure it wasn't a brown recluse (the only dangerous spider around here).

I've been reading up on it since posting but I'd rather hear from hunters or someone with real experience instead of wikipedia.

The bastard is a deer tick.

I bath and shampoo with tea tree oil and peppermint oils added to my soaps/shampoo because my gf is a teacher for troubled and neglected children and will inevitably bring home head lice (it is also really good for my skin and scalp). I think that is why this guy was crawling on me instead of feeding.

Aside from any other ticks or a rash or bite mark what else should I be on the alert for?

Foolproof on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Look for welts on your skin.

I think you're safe. The largest problem is people break the tick and leave the head or part of the head attached and viola, bacterial infection and/or lyme disease.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lyme's is on a steep incline (at least around here) (Maryland), but I wouldn't worry too much. Look for welts and rashes in the vicinity of a possible bite.

Odds are though that you're fine. If you get really bad flu-like symptoms that refuse to go away, get tested. Doxycicline is really cheap and 30-60 days later you're fine!

Xaquin on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you found the tick wandering it hadn't latched on yet. Therefore you have 0% chance of disease from that tick. Get your gf to check you over for other ticks. If you find one attached take it with you to the doctor's office.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »
    So I was mushroom hunting today. Came home got naked, took a bath, got back into my dirty clothes. An hour later I had a bug crawling on my arm, it looked like a tick!

So I flicked the tick, it landed on my keyboard and crawled inside. So after literally debugging my keyboard for the last hour I have him trapped on a piece of tape. It looks like a male deer tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is the right size. There is a white tail deer back in the spot I was checking today, I saw it and it's tracks were on some of the same trails I was using.

Until I get my gf to look me over for bites I won't be sure it didn't feed on me. I've never had a tick before. How worried do I need to be about diseases from it? What symptoms do I need to look out for?

I live in NE Indiana.

As a kid my family used to get ticks all the time since we lived on a farm. That tick did not get you he woulda been head deep when you found him if he got the chance to bite. Check yourself over really well for ticks in every area. As a kid I actually managed to get a tick on my junk so look everywhere. I don't know your experience with ticks but if you find one, and it's not in your hair or anything, have your girlfriend take a match or a lighter really close to the tick and it will cause it to withdraw it's head. This way you aren't ripping it out leaving risk of the ticks head staying in.

Ziac45 on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh god never do that.

If you do that it'll likely just throw up into the wound and get you sick. If you can remove it with tweezers at the head, do it, only, only only at the head. If you can't, get to a doctor. You won't die in a 2 hour span from lyme disease.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, don't do the match thing. It's a very common misconception that this is any kind of good idea, and anyway if you do it on your scalp you risk lighting your hair on fire which is a much more immediate problem than a tick biting you.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I have never seen so much discussion overs ticks...I have had tons of ticks on me. When I was a kid I went camping a lot, ran around in fields and woods where ticks live. Just pull the tick out, make sure the head comes out as well, normally a chuck of skin will still be attached to the tick so that is a good sign. No tricks, no bullshit, just pull the tick out carefully.

Fizban140 on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aside from any other ticks or a rash or bite mark what else should I be on the alert for?
    Nothing. Since you found it crawling around, and not head deep in you, swollen with blood, you know it didn't bite you and start feeding.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've always done the match thing, and I don't have Lyme's disease or anything.
    But I also don't really get many ticks on me per year. I usually find them when they're crawling around being the silly geese that they are.

L Ron Howard on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    It really depends on what part of the country you're in and what kind of tick it is. I actually know someone with two different species of Lyme disease, but then in my state (and those surrounding) it's a huge problem. It doesn't really matter though; the tick is probably not carrying anything beneficial and it's dumb to play tick roulette and risk one barfing into your bloodstream knowing the possible outcome.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the information everyone. I don't get freaked out by bugs but this tick is a new thing for me and I usually only worry about disease vectors and the rare venomous animals. Luckily my area has almost nothing really dangerous in it. The thing I don't like about traveling is that I don't know any of the local dangerous pests.

I was reading up on ticks, is it true that a female can produce hundreds of offspring that are so small that they can go undetected for a long time on horses and cows? I would be really grossed out to find a horse covered in ticks.

One time I had a very tiny baby leach on me after swimming in a lake. It was so tiny that it was almost cute, about the size of a grain of rice. My gf looked like she was going to barf when I showed it to her. The leach only freaked me out a little because it was small enough that it could have easily gotten up my ear or nose.

Foolproof on
  • GrizzledGrizzled Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you were able to flick him off, then he didn't even latch onto you, so you should be fine.

In the scheme of all things tick, this was a minor event; where I work in the summer there are so many ticks that we usually have a de-ticking session at the end of the day (no Lyme disease fortunately). Just everyone standing around in their underwear searching each other for ticks and removing them, awesome.

Grizzled on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was reading up on ticks, is it true that a female can produce hundreds of offspring that are so small that they can go undetected for a long time on horses and cows? I would be really grossed out to find a horse covered in ticks.

The babies are so tiny they look like a grain of dirt. I walked through a nest once, and I got a million of them on me. I dove in the river like I was on fire.

PolloDiablo on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The babies are so tiny they look like a grain of dirt. I walked through a nest once, and I got a million of them on me. I dove in the river like I was on fire.

D:

D:D:

Can they even bite when they're that tiny?

Finding a tick on a dog that's been there for quite awhile is a whole other kind of gross, too.

riz on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    riz wrote: »

D:

D:D:

Can they even bite when they're that tiny?

Finding a tick on a dog that's been there for quite awhile is a whole other kind of gross, too.

Yeah, one of the guards at my study abroad site had a dog that was fucking covered in them.

Anyway, I think the mods would be alright if I post this video to keep things in perspective (and I'll take it down if the mods tell me to):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NZUNlFo6Uk

Bagginses on