As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From the time I've given it that wasn't messing around with my config file and the console (i.e. a couple half-assed single player maps and a couple of short and terribly laggy multiplayer matches), this game has "wait 3 months and hope it gets patched or modded" written all over it.

Also, worst scoreboard ever. Can't see any stats, can't even see my ping. And the demo feature is buggy as hell. Every time I play back a demo it crashes. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, though.

Everything else I have to say about the game would probably be too personal to make a difference to anyone else.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God i hope they never add a K/D stat...i dont want that shit in a game that isnt about kills. It will just perpetuate camping and kill whoring CoD style, no thanks.

It is a game about kills.

A lot of people miss the point that, so long as you are killing people properly, "Kill them all and let God sort them out," is a highly valuable teamplay technique. If half the enemy team is in the spawn queue, they aren't disarming your charges, are they?

It's possible to have a high K/D and be a shit player, but that's what other stats are for. But I cannot remember any team based FPS out of hundreds (been playing since 14.4) where a person could honestly say, "Killing people in this game isn't important."

programjunkie on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game greatly, greatly needs a K/D stat. Or more specifically, a Kill / Knockdown / Fell Down / Deaths stat.

I understand why they don't have it, and it's still a fucking stupid idea. It plays to the lowest common denominator. Fuck, at least show people their own K/D so they can have some conception of how they are doing. The Exp field does very little to assess the actual performance value of a player.

This is a shooter. At any given time, most players will be shooting bad guys. That is the majority of the game. The objectives are very important, but when you get stuck behind a wall of enemies, only good shooting is going to save the day.

It's really infuriating to get locked down and not know who is fucking up and how so. You cannot tell if enemies are shooting straighter, rezzing more often, etc.

How would ten snipers help this though?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    The objective system definitely needs an overhaul. And a map.

It's annoying getting something like 'guard door' as your objective, because it may actually mean 'the door needs to be destroyed but you aren't the right class' or 'the enemy team is trying to destroy this'.

Yes, this exactly is my biggest problem with it so far.

Also I think it's fair that the game is catching a lot of flack for the "singleplayer" and "coop." I strongly disapprove of what they did in that respect: playing a multiplayer game like this against bots has never constituted singleplayer or coop in the past, and they shouldn't get away with trying to pass it off as such now. The game they provided is a great deal of fun, but it's one third of the game they spent all that time talking up. I wouldn't even be disappointed if they had just told us that straight up. I bought and loved TF2, and that's basically what this is.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Strangely, there are cvars in the game for a "command map," but I haven't found a way to access the map itself.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes but having the stat there discourages teamwork and encourages kill whoring, camping, and just generall CoD style gameplay. Its the reason they dont have it in this game, to emphasize team play over kill whoring. A k/d ratio in this game in no way shows someones value as a player, which you stated specifically in your last post. Capturing objectives and buffing team mates is far more important. K/D matters i guess if you're the soldier arcatype, but not really for much else. A medic who runs around reviving and buffing his dudes and rescuing people wont have as high of a K/D ration at all, and probably more deaths than kills because it isn't the focus of the class, for example.

It is a stat that i am very happy the omitted, its a stat that has no use in this game at all. Only way i could see them doing it is if they had a kill stat, heal stat, objective stat, and maybe a buff score stat, and not a death stat at all since deaths dont make a lick of difference in this game. (And often you can go a long way without dying with decent medics.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess fine well, lots of people are hating this game based off what seems a very limited experience of multiplayer/wanting to kill the hype? Thats fine, let them have those thoughts I suppose.

Meanwhile, I am going to be having what is to me, one of the funnest multplayer fps's I've played since BC2. Plenty people on these websites and these forums are more than willing to look past a games rough edges if a game is fun, which this game is. For those on the fence I will say this, I have the game for PC. The single player is basically nothing more than the multiplayer with terrible bots. The multiplayer is super fun and reminds me (of course) enemy territories + unreal tournament for some reason. It's fast paced, intense and a blast to play.

Maybe not worth the 50$ for those of you on ps3 as well, you cant play the online goodness and I cant really speak of how it plays on the 360 (I would assume decent minus the graphic issues which I believe are to be fixed in a future patch) but on the PC its Mirrors Edge + Team and Objectived based fps goodness.

I don't understand this attitude. Anyone who dislikes this game must be wrong? Is that what we're saying here? God forbid someone have a different opinion than you.

It's like people need to not only enjoy a game, but have someone else justify their tastes in order to enjoy it.

You shouldn't enjoy a game less just because some guy on a website somewhere doesn't like it as much as you.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    I don't understand the complaints about eight maps. People are complaining already about how complex the maps are, and you want more?

And Valve, with TF2, just came out and said that there's little point in launching with a ton of maps since the community with find 2-3 that they like and play little else. Sure, there's a ton of maps now but the majority is just community stuff that got an official nod.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm glad it doesn't show k/d on the scoreboard, but it would be nice if there was a detailed stats page that had it (along with every other imaginable stat, obviously).

hatedinamerica on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jaunty wrote: »

It's annoying getting something like 'guard door' as your objective, because it may actually mean 'the door needs to be destroyed but you aren't the right class' or 'the enemy team is trying to destroy this'.

Also I think it's fair that the game is catching a lot of flack for the "singleplayer" and "coop." I strongly disapprove of what they did in that respect: playing a multiplayer game like this against bots has never constituted singleplayer or coop in the past, and they shouldn't get away with trying to pass it off as such now. The game they provided is a great deal of fun, but it's one third of the game they spent all that time talking up. I wouldn't even be disappointed if they had just told us that straight up. I bought and loved TF2, and that's basically what this is.

While I get what you're saying, and I certainly wouldn't play a game like this expecting ground-shaking singleplayer, Splash Damage did talk up the single player quite a bit. It's only fair to grade them on it when they're using it to hype up the game, as many people would be interested to see if that part of the game is any good.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Brink's singleplayer is also self-defeating. You're 1/8th of the team. If the bots are too good, you feel like you have little impact in the game. If they're too bad, you feel helpless. Without any sort of control over the bots, the singleplayer feels very unsatisfying. Despite that, I played single-player for four hours straight. The core gameplay IS quite fun.

I am, however, questioning the point of heavies. Apparently mediums can use all weapons a heavy can? So it's a matter of speed and maneuverability for a fairly small amount of extra health. I feel like being more mobile is going to save your more effective HP than whatever Heavies get over Mediums.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    heavies have access to heavy weapons

T4CT on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jaunty wrote: »

While I get what you're saying, and I certainly wouldn't play a game like this expecting ground-shaking singleplayer, Splash Damage did talk up the single player quite a bit. It's only fair to grade them on it when they're using it to hype up the game, as many people would be interested to see if that part of the game is any good.

Yeah, exactly.

Pretty pleased with how the game plays against other PA folk so far, already managed to get a medium and a lightweight class set up to a decent degree. Also there was way more class fluidity than I'd expected, so experimentation is a good amount of fun. Haven't tried changing character while connected to a server yet, not sure if it's possible.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It is 7:30pm and no sign of my "release-day delivery." I am definitely bitching out Amazon for this.

Gaslight on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so for those getting shafted by amazon forgetting the PC preorder bonus pack. i stoppped by Gamestop on my way home and according to the guy there the codes for the preorder stuff is created and tied to individual copies so they don't have a stock of them. whether that is completely BS is another thing

but at least it is installing now

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do not understand Gerstmann's reviews.

I haven't got BRINK yet, but some of his criticisms when crosschecked with games he liked seems weird. My previous go-to FPS was BC2. It got 4 stars and absolutely no complaints about weapons/grenades feeling weak or weapons generally having little diversity or poor sound.

But I can see from gameplay VODs that the weapons in BRINK have much better designed sounds and graphics, and about the same lethality (actually killing people at a distance seems much easier in BRINK for a newer player). The same can be said about grenade power.

There is just such a disparity in reviews, it seems like reviewers hold brink to a completely different standard. For example in the giantbomb quick look Gerstman says the only statistic you get on the weapons are bars, and there's no mechanic for comparing them to other weapons. This is the industry FPS standard, actually the weapons menu looks smother than some games. Yet this game gets nailed for not having this feature none of the mainstream FPSs have. Where's all the complaints about Halo games having "weak/lame weapons"? Not to mention halo guns look and sound much less powerful than BRINK guns.

And lets not get into IGN telling us a baby party game has longer "lasting appeal" (who ever started up a party game more than once?) than this team based multiplayer FPS.

Vic_Hazard on
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I got a message from my game store that my pre-order is ready for pick-up.

Odd.

I thought it was released on friday. Too bad I was more then an hour away at work to go actually pick it up. -_-
    Sending the GF to go get it during working hours in my stead. And hopefully I'll be playing by tomorrow evening.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game is nothing like BC2, Vic.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • SlickMcShineSlickMcShine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    It is 7:30pm and no sign of my "release-day delivery." I am definitely bitching out Amazon for this.

Steam:
    Available: 13 May 2011
    This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 1 hour

Hush you.

SlickMcShine on
    tf2_sig.png
  • PhantomSCSIPhantomSCSI Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    I'd love an invite to the steam group when someone gets a chance.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/phantomscsi

PhantomSCSI on
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game is nothing like BC2, Vic.

Oh I know. But it's dishonest to complain about the guns in BRINK if he doesn't complain about the ones in BC2 as well, which had a lot of the problems he tell us BRINK has yet he never mentioned them in his BC2 review.

It's completely acceptable to complain about vague bars as weapon statistics. It's not to single this out as a BRINK problem when both CoD and Bad Company's bars basically lie to the player and shows you little value is what I'm saying.

I think you can compare these features and mechanics between both games seeing as they work in the same way, even though they're radically different FPSes.

Vic_Hazard on
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just in case anyone's keeping track, ATI "tricks" I've heard (and tried) so far:

1. 11.5a Hotfix (Brink specific drivers!) -> No change from 11.4 or 11.5. Low FPS in open areas (teens).

2. The "Default Trick" - Open CCC, Go to 3D Performance, Reset to Defaults -> Nada, same.

3. Roll back to 11.2 - Uninstalled. Driver Sweeper. 11.2 -> Same piss poor performance.

4. Disable Shadows - in console type r_shadows 0 -> Fugliness, but another 10FPS. Hrm.

I've seen reports of players running 8800GTs and pulling solid 30 FPS on medium settings. I'm running a 5870 and open rooms drop me into the 20s, even teens (Container City). I seriously hope this isn't just ATI sucking on OpenGL right?

If anyone's heard any other "tricks", post em :/

no worries on
  • EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp

http://www.giantbomb.com/brink/61-26694/reviews/

I can't accept this review because Jeff Gerstmann hasn't proven to me that he has working thumbs.
    Bots will run up against objects you're interacting with, as if they can't see you and are trying to complete the objective that you're already completing.

Well, for starters, multiple people make capturing objectives, building stuff and hacking things go faster.

I hate that man. His Brink quicklook was really aggravating to try to watch. "How did I not kill that guy?? That's ridiculous!" Well Jeff, you didn't point the bullets at the man, so that's likely your problem right there. All he does is to bitch about how any FPS is not Call of Duty.

EggPuppet on
    edited May 2011
    mts wrote: »
    so for those getting shafted by amazon forgetting the PC preorder bonus pack. i stoppped by Gamestop on my way home and according to the guy there the codes for the preorder stuff is created and tied to individual copies so they don't have a stock of them. whether that is completely BS is another thing

Its BS, Splash Damage even stated that all pre-order bonuses are steam keys and they can all be used on a single account if you wanted to.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Uh, BC2 had amazing weapon sounds, which is why they've won awards for it and why Bioware sought their help on ME3's weapon sounds.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, my pre-order bonuses from Direct2Drive were in the form of a CD-Key, which I put into Steam.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, my pre-order bonuses from Direct2Drive were in the form of a CD-Key, which I put into Steam.

Mine as well.

Elimination on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    amazon said they're putting the keys on paper in the box with your order I thought

initiatefailure on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My only complaint so far is that the engineer turrets take so long to Target people. Seems like nearly two seconds before it starts. To fire.

Otherwise the game is fun. A lot like shadowrun, with the announcing system and run and gun. And if you are a light body type, the smart button limits you so much. I've been walljumping and climbing places so much easier now that I've held back in pressing

Moridin889 on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah, I'm really hoping I get release day delivery. Bad enough being 3 days behind all the folk I play with (all North American) nevermind having to wait extra because amazon screwed me. Time to cross my fingers for the next 3 days.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Steammmmmm!!!!

Why won't you connect for me.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Welp, the game runs like a slideshow for me. I think its my processor, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E8400. Its the only thing that keeps me from meeting recommended specs.

I've dropped all settings, and dropped resolution to 1400x900 windowed, and it behaved no different.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Chadzilla1983Chadzilla1983 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

may want to call them. They forgot to ship mine all together!

Chadzilla1983 on
    XBOX Live GT: Chadzilla1983
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Welp, the game runs like a slideshow for me. I think its my processor, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E8400. Its the only thing that keeps me from meeting recommended specs.

Doing the cvar stuff to turn off Shadows may help you, they are fairly processor intensive in most games.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm almost level 15. So close to that sweet silent running and extra health pip buff.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »
    i am getting a weird graphical glitch with this

looks like the lines between polygons are visible, so there are grids of aliased white lines running everywhere

this is a driver thing probably?
    I'm having a really odd graphics issue that the 11.5a hotfix did not fix. Screenshot in this spoiler:

Anyone have this and fixed it?

for anyone else that's having this, apparently all ATI 4xxx cards are getting it: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24811

I guess I'll have to wait for a fix because of this and the fact that I can't get more than 30 frames a second (mostly 20 on 1280x720 and low everything)

ffffffuuuuuuu

Evil Multifarious on
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey look, a thing-
    banner_560x95.png?random=169273

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am running a 3.4 Ghz Phenom II X4 965 BE and a Radeon HD6850. If I have any frame issues when and if this thing finally arrives I am going to be pissed.

Slavdan, not sure if it was your idea or not but I whole-heartedly approve of the server name.

Gaslight on
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Server banners for the banner god!

b_160_400_1_ffffff_c5c5c5_ffffff_000000_0_1_0.png

b_560_95_1.png

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mts wrote: »

Its BS, Splash Damage even stated that all pre-order bonuses are steam keys and they can all be used on a single account if you wanted to.

No, I remember something about gamestop switching to printing the codes on the reciepts. Which would make it so there wouldn't really be extras laying around

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.