As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Infection rules?

LoneGunmanLoneGunman Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in PAX Archive
I don't know about you but I loved the Infected meta game that started up spontaneously...anyone know who started it? Anyone think we should add some rules and make it go nuts this year?

LoneGunman on

• Options
    ChaossebbaChaossebba Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At first I thought this would be a thread about horrible diseases being passed along, but since I know nothing of this since its my first PAX - Carry on.

Chaossebba on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At the very least, some clearer information for people playing would be useful. Last year I asked 6 different people who had sheets what it was all about and they were like "I don't know, someone gave me these stickers and told me to put them on badges."

Nullzone on
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I believe it started with the Enforcers in the Handheld lounge a few years ago during the PAX Pox outbreak. I didn't see it at East though...

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yep it started with the enforcers in handheld at Prime '09 and then MIT made a similar sticker game for East '10 (I don't think they were aware of the enforcer game the previous year, they were just playing off the h1nerd1 theme)

I don't recall seeing any stickers at Prime '10 or East '11 but I was pretty busy so I easily could have missed them.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had one of the stickers put on my badge by a ninja last year at Prime and had no idea what was going on but only knew the story behind it. I would like to know the rules more so if it happens again this year then I can actually participate instead of only reply with an "I don't know" when people ask what the hell is the sticker on my badge for.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was infected on Day One of Prime last year by a Sticker Ninja as well. I had no idea what it was for, but I figured "Eh,That's PAX for you." Then on Day Two a cute girl in a rather fetching Cortana costume "Re-infected" me by writing RE in front of my infected sticker. At that point I asked about the game. As I recall, once you are infected, you are to be told you can go to a predesignated location for your own batch of stickers to Infect/Vaccinate/Immunize other PAX Attendees.

I never got that far, however I spoke to more than one person who was not so happy that sticker ninjas got their badge without them noticing. So that being said, if some sort of official rules should surface, I think there should be an added note stating you must ask before applying a sticker to someone's badge.

Dannicus on
  • Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This year the rules are simple: Like in 09, if you have the PAX plague your goal is to not wash your hands for the entire weekend while simultaneously attempting to touch as many people/objects/controllers as possible. Sharing your cheetos/ramen with strangers is encouraged, as it has historically proven to speed up infection times.

// What are we talking about?

AGlassOfMilk on
  • Options
    silverback1138silverback1138 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Chaossebba wrote: »
    At first I thought this would be a thread about horrible diseases being passed along, but since I know nothing of this since its my first PAX - Carry on.

Yeah, I got PAX flu during 2009 and my friend that I went with got it 2010. I thought this would be about that too.

silverback1138 on
  • Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rabies, the deputy HH manager, was running it last year. We were handing out stickers from the 4th floor handheld lounge. Rabies made a big sign with all of the rules, but people who were infected tended not to notice it, or noticed but forgot to tell people they infected to go to the 4th floor HH lounge for stickers :P

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One of the biggest things about the game was that a lot of people weren't told the rules. It took a bit of asking to really find out what was going on. I admit, part of the information gathering was pretty fun and it kept us occupied in the later hours on Saturday. One thing though, it's kinda cheap to hand out stickers to people on opposite sides of the escalator. (You know who you are, hah)

eMDee on
    The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • Options
    VivaldiVivaldi Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    I'm super happy this was brought up in the threads, because this was probably one of my top 5 things from last year and '09 :D

Basically, the infected people passed out stickers infecting other PAXers with instructions to go to handheld and complete a series of tasks to receive a prize. Rabies, the enforcer running the show, was a great sport and super fun with some great hints as to what the next part was :D

Ultimately, to get the prize we had to find Patient Zero, a predesignated target somewhere in PAX.

It was the best scavenger hunt ever, and amazing fun.

The part which probably made it more enjoyable for me was that I already knew Rabies, and the Patient Zero happened to be a good friend of mine who was doing it again this year. Also, I got a fiendishly awesome prize of the generosity of Rabies's heart :D

If this happens again this year, and it really should, I will be the first in line and most enthusiastic disease ridden zombie once again :3 Woot!

God I love PAX...

Vivaldi on
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vivaldi wrote: »
    Ultimately, to get the prize we had to find Patient Zero, a predesignated target somewhere in PAX.

Somehow I doubt my background in epidemiology would be useful for this. But it sounds fun!

tsrblke on
  • Options
    DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I seem to recall that having your badge encased in some sort of badge holder made you immune. I had several people run up to me with stickers in hand only to turn away looking disappointed. Finally, a very nice lady explained to me that I was immune from infection since the sticker couldn't actually touch my badge.

-DW

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    my only fear durring it was that someone would sticker my signed badge like they did my roomates :( They failed to mention anything about the rules to it though.

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    Could we get someone who is running this to update and tell everyone (possibly in a new thread if allowed) the current and up to date rules. And let people know if this is happening again this year for 2011?

The more people know about this before PAX starts the better. I know that if I had any idea what to do then I would have followed instructions and probably had a grand old time and would have been able to pass along the fun. However, beacuse I knew nothing and someone simply stuck my badge and ran away I sat flabergasted and only found dead end answers when I tried to inquire about it.

Also a suggestion for this year: If possible is there a way that when you get a sticker you also get a card or slip or paper that tells you what to do and the rules? Possibly stuck to your badge by the very sticker? (I for one did not ever see the rules on a single sign in a large convention)

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    edg2000edg2000 Registered User regular
    im sure if you find the nice enforcer Rabies wherever she may be this year (good chance she will be in handheld again, as she is a deputy and all) and she can infect you then explain all the rules.

in short, 3 different classes-
    Infected- you got it.
    Carrier- you dont got it, but you can spread it
    Immune- you cant get it, or spread it

If you are one of the first two, you go see her, and she gives you a sheet of stickers. You then go around infecting others, explaining the rules and sending them to her to get stickers of their own. Immunes are rare, so choose wisely who you give them to.

Also i believe the official name is CONSars.

Enforcer Years: P10 P11 P15 W16 W17
    7 PAX veteran
  • Options
    Project TUROProject TURO Denver, CORegistered User regular
    yeah last year a lot of people freaked out when i put a sticker on their badge. Like I was going to steal it or something.

• Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    yeah last year a lot of people freaked out when i put a sticker on their badge. Like I was going to steal it or something.

You weren't being ninja enough! :-P

So question though. I don't have a 3 day pass, i have 3 single day passes. Do i have to get re-infected each day?

• Options
    pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    See I found a cure to the infection...3, 1 day badges lol :P

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • Options
    Amy.LukimaAmy.Lukima Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Could we get someone who is running this to update and tell everyone (possibly in a new thread if allowed) the current and up to date rules. And let people know if this is happening again this year for 2011?

The more people know about this before PAX starts the better. I know that if I had any idea what to do then I would have followed instructions and probably had a grand old time and would have been able to pass along the fun. However, beacuse I knew nothing and someone simply stuck my badge and ran away I sat flabergasted and only found dead end answers when I tried to inquire about it.

Also a suggestion for this year: If possible is there a way that when you get a sticker you also get a card or slip or paper that tells you what to do and the rules? Possibly stuck to your badge by the very sticker? (I for one did not ever see the rules on a single sign in a large convention)

I searched the forums and didn't see anything further on this. This was one of my favorites things last year. I'm working on a couple other PAX meetups but if this hasn't been fully organized yet I'd love to help. I might even be able to get my company to sponsor it. But that's a big might as we are a tiny company and I'm on the bottom of the totem pole.

Amy.Lukima on
    <a href="http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=35369">I'm participating in Extra Life. Please consider donating to help kids in need. </a>
  • Options
    edg2000edg2000 Registered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote:
    So question though. I don't have a 3 day pass, i have 3 single day passes. Do i have to get re-infected each day?
    -if you want to, yes. if you dont, transfer the sticker to the next pass

]
    -totally up to rabies on that one. she makes up the rules.

Enforcer Years: P10 P11 P15 W16 W17
    7 PAX veteran
  • Options
    My only problem with "making it known" is it dulls it. The coolest part was that it was random and you had no friggin clue what was going on. But, granted, it would help if there were clues. Instructions would be boring. If we could've organized it earlier, a small desk or booth somewhere acting as a "first aid" station would've been a great way to spread the word and give people a chance to figure it all out. Bit late to organize this and I don't know if we'd be able to get a table set up somewhere busy enough to get people to notice but not in the main Expo hall or off in the middle of nowhere.

• Options
    OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    How about a couple people running around with med kits that have all the info? You can get them pretty cheap and it would be an easy way to carry around extra stickers and a nod to Left 4 Dead. I would be willing to volunteer to be a medic

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Options
    oO Wallace OooO Wallace Oo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Why not have a QR code on the stickers that links to the rules/blog post about the game?

I'm carrying a QR tag that links to my about.me page for easy contact info sharing with people I meet and want to keep in contact with.

EDIT: Something like this perhaps;
    YH6Yv.png

oO Wallace Oo on
  • Options
    Why not have a QR code on the stickers that links to the rules/blog post about the game?

I'm carrying a QR tag that links to my about.me page for easy contact info sharing with people I meet and want to keep in contact with.

YH6Yv.png

That would end up excluding people who don't have a qr reader/smart phone. It should be easily accessible to as many people as possible.

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Options
    NWPhilPhanNWPhilPhan Registered User new member

YH6Yv.png

Also you'd most likely your 4G/3G connection will be very very slow at the conference.
    Pro-tip: Turn off 3G and use Edge/2G

If you don't want to play the meta-game it's actually ok to tell the people with the stickers that you are not playing.

• Options
    oO Wallace OooO Wallace Oo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Optimusbry wrote:
    That would end up excluding people who don't have a qr reader/smart phone. It should be easily accessible to as many people as possible.

I agree that doing QR Codes exclusively would cause this, the idea for it was to supplement people explaining the rules to new players. If you were walking around and someone sees the sticker on your pass that you didn't even know you had and asks what it is, instead of both looking dumbfounded they may recognise the QR Code.
    NWPhilPhan wrote:
    Also you'd most likely your 4G/3G connection will be very very slow at the conference.
    Pro-tip: Turn off 3G and use Edge/2G

If you don't want to play the meta-game it's actually ok to tell the people with the stickers that you are not playing.

QR Codes don't have to contain URLs, the one I included in my previous post just had text embedded in it that stated;

"You have been infected !!!
    This is a PAX Community Meta-Game running throughout the three days of PAX Prime'11. If you want to get involved visit the booth on blah blah for instructions and to get your kit"

EDIT: Typos :D

oO Wallace Oo on
  • Options
    Ok, I see what you mean now. That could be cool. Really up to whoever is getting the stickers made.

• Options
    I'm almost tempted to just print up a bunch of stickers...not exactly an artist here so they'd be pretty plain...

• Options
    I can make some designs for you, having an art degree and all. What size and shape would you like and what designs? Can have them done by the weekend.

• Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    It would be pretty confusing for attendees if people were running their own infection game with their own stickers separate from Rabies's game. If you're actually going to make something, you should make sure the game is totally distinguishable so that people don't just get confused and give up on both.

• Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    The stickers in '09 were really simple, which is fine by me. I still have mine on my badge. '09 was my first PAX (and my first con ever) so I never made to get stickers. Too overwhelmed by everything else. The thing that made it really funny for me though, was that I ended up sick at the end of the weekend.

I'd be down for playing this year this year though. I will have to infect all of my friends. Mwa ha ha ha!

(Last year ('10) one of the girls I know was handing out stickers that said, "PAX Plague Surviver" to people who had been there in '09 when "Swine Flu" made an appearance.)

• Options
    Well, if someone wants to pipe up and take the lead, that'd be great. I'm just trying to push things along since I'm not sure anyone's really committing beyond saying it'd be great. :)

@Optimusbry I was just thinking about picking up a bunch of Avery sheets from OfficeMax or something and printing a bunch off before I head out. I'm flying into Seattle on Monday so I don't have a ton of time...At the same time, if it's just a simple "Infected!", I think I can handle that with my paltry biology degree. :p

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Guys, I'm pretty sure the enforcer in handheld who has done this every year is doing this again and would appreciate not having her toes stepped on by other people doing the same thing in an unregulated manner. Perhaps if you guys are curious, somebody can contact her to put your fears to rest.

E6LkoFK.png