As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    The bots are better players than the actual people I've played with. Skill-wise, they're about the same and they seem to have exactly the same habits when it comes to where they go and where they bunch up (at the top/bottom of stairs and on the opposite side of the map from an objective), but the bots are much better about feeding ammo, healing, revives, and damage buffs to people that aren't themselves.

I have to say i've had a pretty similar experience so far. Many players (not all though.) focus entirely on healing and buffing themselves and never really touch anyone else.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    K/D stat.

As much as burying a K/D stat somewhere in the menus will spawn some KiDies I agree it's useful. A High K/D can mean nothing, but a low K/D is valuable info. Yeah sure maybe he's all about the objective. Doesn't mean I'm gonna trust him to have my back. It might mean I'll have his instead.

Plus there's a point where "all about the objective, screw the KD" is just as bad an attitude. Team players don't do half as well (in pub matches) without team slayers. An accesible K/D stat, along with all the other indicators - such as score per minute - might help me suss out how killtastic I should be to fit the team I'm in.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As a medic mainly, its hard to run out of supplies. I have all the supply increases and the recharge rate increase. Unless a protracted firefight breaks out with a lot of deaths I sit pretty well padded. If half your team are medics? Hard for everyone to eat that. Many bullets so they have to heal that much

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Medics get way too much XP. Reviving is so easy and nets you soooo much.

NotYou on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    As a medic mainly, its hard to run out of supplies. I have all the supply increases and the recharge rate increase. Unless a protracted firefight breaks out with a lot of deaths I sit pretty well padded. If half your team are medics? Hard for everyone to eat that. Many bullets so they have to heal that much

Yeah, as an engie it's easy though. Damage buff plus the Kevlar buff. The way people die in this game, I'm constantly getting more and more chances to buff them.

The supply/recharge increase abilities are great. Dare I say required for people who main Eng/Med.

Decoy on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Holy shit. D:

Amazon already answered my message with a very polite e-mail offering me a $10 promo credit to make up for not getting my copy of the game here on time.

I am floored, honestly. My top hat is off to them. I am more than placated.

Amazon has pretty good customer service, in my experience. I once had a pair of books from them that came with an unexpected big gold star sticker proclaiming some award the books had won, and which peeled away some of the cover when removed. They sent a fresh pair of books without the stickers and paid postage for the return of the first pair. :^:

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I preordered this at Gamestop and picked it up today, trading in some old games.
    Was going to redeem my Doom pack, and noticed that the receipt didn't have one. So, just to make sure, I check the sales listing, and yep: no mention of the $20 I put down for the game at all.
    Sort of pissed.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Goddamn homework taking away my Brink time.

Played a few hours today whilst slacking and it's really all I was hoping for, although the parkour SMARTness is a bit too sloppy at times, at least during the "don't fall off this shit" challenges.

Well, the server browser seems to suck at the moment, and the lack of subtitles continues to irk me, but the core "do shit, shoot mans" Enemy Territory-style gameplay seems to be there.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've also made a point of always trying to secure and upgrade the Supply Command Points.

Just wish some Operatives would take the chance to firewall them too.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just got home from work. Gonna slip into my comfy clothes, grab a beer, and fucking...

play some brink 8-)

Just gonna run through the single player stuff, get a good feel for everything, before hopping into games with real people.

Vee on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so i am digging this. i ran into no issues so far with video on my ati 5770. games runs nice and smooth. i went in and turn on all the advanced settings except vsync since i am not sure what that does anyway. will have to see how it effects it next time.

ran through a lot of the challenges. i had a hard time withthe 2 star objective one, i just kept getting slaughtered on the operative section.

have unlocked the majority of weapons i think, i stil haven't touched the tower defense challenge so whatever you might get there is still locked for me.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It sorta seems like the 5770 is the lucky ati card to have.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ah wait this is where the PSN being down thing pisses me off.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skibo8826skibo8826 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So how many Xbox peeps are getting unplayable lag? I really want to get into this game, but it just wont let me. Based on my brief single player experience with the bots, I am hesitant to just play that.

skibo8826 on
    GT: mashbaugh67
    SCII: Sain.437
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love this game, but I love the setting even more. I'm kind of sad that the story mode is all we get. I'd love to play an RPG or more developed single player campaign based on the Ark.

edit: Also, is there any way at all to enable cutscene subtitles?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    rRootagea wrote: »
    It sorta seems like the 5770 is the lucky ati card to have.

I have that card and the game runs pretty poorly for me.

Then again, my CPU is worse than the shit from a butt (Core2Duo e6750), so that could be a factor.

Lemming on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    er, as a medic I run out of supplies in about 10 seconds. Health buffs, metabolism and revives on nearby team mates will leave me flat in seconds, and that's with two upgrades and increased recharge.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've only played a few hours, and spent most of my time on the challenges, but so far I am diggin' it. Haters to the left, reviewers to the right, because I'm going right down the middle to play some more Brink.

I typically play medic in any class based game, but there just seem to be so many medics right now, it's kind of silly. I'm thinking I'm going to switch to operative preferentially, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the mechanics. Does anyone have any tips for how to play an effective operative? One who's going to benefit your team the most, more than anything? I'm still not sure how to effectively use disguises, or what's best to do once you're in one. Probably because I keep having a knee-jerk TF2 spy reaction. I really need to break myself of that.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Have not been able to find a server that isn't lag central. :/

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Refuel needs to be taken out of the map rotation until that sound bug is fixed. Server clears out everytime it comes up.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Resistance menu music makes me want to shoot some mans.

edit:
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Refuel needs to be taken out of the map rotation until that sound bug is fixed. Server clears out everytime it comes up.

It's a pretty fun map, but not so much when you keep getting ganked because you can't hear the fact that you're getting shot from behind.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Operatives are sort of weird. While most of the team is going to be focusing on a specific area, the operative focuses on creeping around the edges (Barring a hack objective). The disguise is mainly used to facilitate sneaking; the map design makes it so players won't think too much of a teammate up on a rooftop somewhere, or running in an odd direction.
    The first thing you need to do as an Operative is to find a dead enemy. You can either comms hack him, which I've found to be moderately useful, as long as you're on the defending team, or just disguise. Once that's done, run around, spot mines, hack turrets, grab and upgrade command posts, and call out enemies to your team. You can also pick off lone enemies, but since you loose your disguise if you shoot, you have to be sure that you'll be able to kill them. Being a light body type can help here, since you can run up and slide tackle a medium or heavy that's running away from you. You won't do so well against a group of enemies, unless you have a grenade launcher/minigun.

Basically, the Operative is the lone wolf who runs around the sides of the map, grabbing non-combat, secondary objectives.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The context sensitive buff button is the worst thing. The way it will suck you across a room into an animation you can't control drives me crazy.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    a K/D ratio would be nice, or more experience put on kills or something

it seems like being a medic nets you about a bajillion times more XP than being a soldier

i want something for acing half of a team with headshots from the LR.

recognition will do in a pinch :p, so k/d plzzz

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can someone send me an invite for the 360? Canadianllama is my gamertag. Can't seem to find a multi game that is not a lagfest.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Operatives are sort of weird. While most of the team is going to be focusing on a specific area, the operative focuses on creeping around the edges (Barring a hack objective). The disguise is mainly used to facilitate sneaking; the map design makes it so players won't think too much of a teammate up on a rooftop somewhere, or running in an odd direction.
    The first thing you need to do as an Operative is to find a dead enemy. You can either comms hack him, which I've found to be moderately useful, as long as you're on the defending team, or just disguise. Once that's done, run around, spot mines, hack turrets, grab and upgrade command posts, and call out enemies to your team. You can also pick off lone enemies, but since you loose your disguise if you shoot, you have to be sure that you'll be able to kill them. Being a light body type can help here, since you can run up and slide tackle a medium or heavy that's running away from you. You won't do so well against a group of enemies, unless you have a grenade launcher/minigun.

Basically, the Operative is the lone wolf who runs around the sides of the map, grabbing non-combat, secondary objectives.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I haven't had much of a chance to skulk around as a operative yet, so this will help out a bunch. From what little I have experienced, though, it doesn't seem like you even have your weapon up while disguised, so I take it you can't tag people or mines with your iron sights while disguised? Or am I mistaken, and you can pull up your weapon but just not fire it? Still feels like a good way to mix up gameplay, though, in that you can provide support to your team without being on the front lines all the time.

Firewalling command posts sounds like something that ought to become routine, too.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can I get an invite to the Brink group, please?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/diamondgfx

DiamondGFX on
    ain't got one
  • Options
    edited May 2011

it seems like being a medic nets you about a bajillion times more XP than being a soldier

Refill ammo for people as a Soldier instead of worrying about KDR, 75XP per Supply pip. Not as good as reviving, but you can basically do it all the time.

Nothing says you need to be killing mans all day erryday.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Or, as a soldier, you could buff your teams' ammo so they can feel like special kill people to
    Also speaking of soldier ammo buffs I just cannot figure out the bullet HUD that appears when you are a soldier
    Is that the amount of bullets currently in their gun? Or the amount of bullets, total, that they have?
    Also a way to see who is most in need of ammo/health/damage buffs would be nice. I can hear them yelling for ammo but I don't know which one of them is yelling at me! It is very stressful.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I haven't had much of a chance to skulk around as a operative yet, so this will help out a bunch. From what little I have experienced, though, it doesn't seem like you even have your weapon up while disguised, so I take it you can't tag people or mines with your iron sights while disguised? Or am I mistaken, and you can pull up your weapon but just not fire it? Still feels like a good way to mix up gameplay, though, in that you can provide support to your team without being on the front lines all the time.

Firewalling command posts sounds like something that ought to become routine, too.

Your weapon is basically invisible. The switch weapon button still switches weapons, the iron sight button will still zoom in, but there's just no weapon model up. It's sort of disorientating at first, but you still function as though you are holding a weapon.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

Refill ammo for people as a Soldier instead of worrying about KDR, 75XP per Supply pip. Not as good as reviving, but you can basically do it all the time.

Nothing says you need to be killing mans all day erryday.

i've been forgetting tooo lately, but that refill thing is on a timer

it's not that hard to roam around refilling ammo and killing people, and i still feel like you ain't making as much as a medic, but maybe that's just my perception. seeing a medic literally have 6x my XP (1000xp versus 6000xp) makes me go zoomg, wtf!

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    I get annoyed by people who got shot five seconds out of the spawn.

You're right there. Don't make me waste a pip right out of the gate.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, they gave medic more XP because they wanted to incentivize healing people, but perhaps they overdid it a bit.

I was planning on rolling medic first, but reports being that teams are heavy with medics I might try out operative (even though I was a terrible spy in TF2) or an engi.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    completed my computer today and went ahead and grabbed the new drivers first thing. The game runs pretty flawlessly for me so far. That being said this game is tremendously fun :|

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A turret paired with a minigun is win. 8-)

That is all.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Medics get one more supply pip than Soldiers, and only their revive gives more XP. The health buff gives the same xp as other buffs.

Also the revive gives 50 XP to the person being revived, to give them an incentive to wait their ass there for a second and wait for heals.

I mean, you can say "Medics get too much XP!", but it's a fabrication. Maybe it feels that way, but they get roughly the same as anyone else.
    I was planning on rolling medic first, but reports being that teams are heavy with medics I might try out operative (even though I was a terrible spy in TF2) or an engi.

Engineer is a lot of fun. Their buff is really potent, and they almost always have something to do aside from killing mans.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Musicool wrote: »
    K/D stat.

As much as burying a K/D stat somewhere in the menus will spawn some KiDies I agree it's useful. A High K/D can mean nothing, but a low K/D is valuable info. Yeah sure maybe he's all about the objective. Doesn't mean I'm gonna trust him to have my back. It might mean I'll have his instead.

Plus there's a point where "all about the objective, screw the KD" is just as bad an attitude. Team players don't do half as well (in pub matches) without team slayers. An accesible K/D stat, along with all the other indicators - such as score per minute - might help me suss out how killtastic I should be to fit the team I'm in.

wtf does that even mean?

how the hell did people ever cope before the stat craze

Estilo on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My operative success has been as a Medium

I don't find that light is enough of a bonus when you lose shotguns because shotgunning point-blank out of disguise will one hit most people.

T4CT on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Estilo wrote: »
    Musicool wrote: »
    K/D stat.

wtf does that even mean?

how the hell did people ever cope before the stat craze

You accused people of being noobs without anything at all to back it up.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    My operative success has been as a Medium

I don't find that light is enough of a bonus when you lose shotguns because shotgunning point-blank out of disguise will one hit most people.

have an LR and aim for the head

it's gonna one hit kill anybody

and you get to be light still.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
This discussion has been closed.