As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harper Politics: Opposition Mustache, Iggy-popped

1575859606163»

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did I not post a thingy about how we recently fell to 20th in a corruption survey of 100 countries?

Anyways, it's not so much corruption as it is government's inability to defend its own interests. I think, in some ways, it's because we're so against privatization, because we're so pro-union. Privatization usually ends up being an act of desperation to save money or a move by ideologues to shrink government. In those situations, the notion that governments need to maintain leverage and control is abandoned for short-term $$$ projections, that often end up being deceptive.

I mean, if you're going to have private organizations provide governmental services, then you can't have the government oversight/regulatory/policy workers rotating to the private organizations. Which means that you need to pay those workers well enough that they're not enticed to jump ship. But since those go contrary to the goals of privatization (desperate need to save money / ideology), it never happens. Bids are taken based on the lowest bid, rather than a more holistic assessment of the "best" bid; companies are rarely punished for violating the terms of the contract; politicians rarely do their homework before committing....

Privatization, as it so often occurs in North America and western Europe, typically does not resemble a rational decision to me.* It seems, more often than not, we're just hoping that it will work out based on a wing and a prayer, with very little contingency planned if otherwise.

* See that loon who popped into the thread briefly after the election, suggesting that we privatize our health care system just like Hong Kong's. Hong Kong and Canada have about as much in common as I and Michael Jordan. You wouldn't pay me millions of dollars to play basketball; I don't know why one would think Hong Kong's model would somehow fix all our problems here in Canada, if not make things even worse because many of the base assumptions are different.

hippofant on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    Nope. Young Jews, in my experience, are as fervently pro-Israel as any old people*. The thing that pisses me off about Israel as a voting issue, is that it's insane. If Layton or Iggy got in, they wouldn't suddenly forward money to Iran and send our military equipment to Hamas.

Nobody in mainstream politics, especially party heads, would do anything negative towards Israel, and Harper/the PC aren't actually doing anything positive towards them. It's just God damned insane that people have chosen to put the imaginary protection we provide for Israel, is somehow more important than legitimate domestic issues.
    I think they are well aware of that, mostly it's just a convenient excuse so people can justify voting for parties that lower their taxes at the expense of the poor and vulnerable
    hippofant wrote: »
    I am, like, totally sure this is above board. City employee writes report claiming massive savings from the privatization of city services, low-balling the oversight costs; city employee then immediately leaves his job for one with one of the private firms likely to bid for these services.
    At least those overpaid union brats will be out of a job! Nothing makes me madder than the idea that someone makes more money hauling filth than I make pushing buttons behind a desk

Azio on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That is interesting. It appears from the data that "vote splitting" was not the cause of that region going largely over to the Cons' side.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So now that NDP MP from Quebec is in the news again. So retarded. When I looked up the Conservative MP from my riding the CBC had an article from last year that he was under investigation for massive mortgage fraud, but that's cool, I guess. Much worse that a young single mother become an MP than someone who is allegedly involved in fraud.

....This board needs a rolleyes emoticon.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So now that NDP MP from Quebec is in the news again. So retarded. When I looked up the Conservative MP from my riding the CBC had an article from last year that he was under investigation for massive mortgage fraud, but that's cool, I guess. Much worse that a young single mother become an MP than someone who is allegedly involved in fraud.

....This board needs a rolleyes emoticon.

TOUGH ON CRIME.

(I don't think I'm going to be able to resist doing this for the next four years.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    pdk01pdk01 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Based off that last post, I looked up my encumbant, Conservative MP. Wikipedia had one article on him, and his tax-evasion.

:-(

pdk01 on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Azio wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    I am, like, totally sure this is above board. City employee writes report claiming massive savings from the privatization of city services, low-balling the oversight costs; city employee then immediately leaves his job for one with one of the private firms likely to bid for these services.
    At least those overpaid union brats will be out of a job! Nothing makes me madder than the idea that someone makes more money hauling filth than I make pushing buttons behind a desk

Its funny, garbage collectors are very well respected here in Denmark. This is because they make a high wage and work their asses off for it. In the mornings you'll see them running around in track suits each lugging 2 heavy bags to their collection point while a third drives the truck and picks up the bags (they are paid provisionally).

It's not like Paris where bunch of poor black guys hang off the side of the truck and empty the public rubbish bins :p

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Now that the Insite issue is making its way into the news cycle more frequently, seeing Conservative MPs on TV defending the government's position makes my blood boil. The novelty of the election is wearing off and now it's really sinking in: the next four years are going to be very stressful.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011