As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will a separate sound card improve my wire USB headset's quality?

Mattitude87Mattitude87 Registered User regular
I have a G930 that suffers from some crackling occasionally. I also noticed when I turn up my speakers I can hear the same thing (albeit less noticeable since the speaker isn't a cm away from my ear like when wearing the G930), making me think it's the onboard sound card fucking up.

My question, does the G930, as a wireless headset that hooks up via USB, still use the sound card to process sound? Or does it have it's own sort of software-based system, rendering the purchase of a new sound card ineffective?

League of Legends: Mattagascar
Mattitude87 on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a G930 that suffers from some crackling occasionally. I also noticed when I turn up my speakers I can hear the same thing (albeit less noticeable since the speaker isn't a cm away from my ear like when wearing the G930), making me think it's the onboard sound card fucking up.

My question, does the G930, as a wireless headset that hooks up via USB, still use the sound card to process sound? Or does it have it's own sort of software-based system, rendering the purchase of a new sound card ineffective?

All USB headsets have built in soundcards, and getting a new soundcard will do nothing to address the crackling problem on your headset.

If both your onboard AND your USB are doing the same thing, I suspect there is an OS level problem, or you are a very unlucky person to have two pieces of tech fail in the exact same way.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah USB audio devices don't interact with other sound hardware connected to the computer.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Mattitude87Mattitude87 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's what I suspected. Thanks guys!

Mattitude87 on
    League of Legends: Mattagascar