As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

• HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Complete with cast and crew? And cameras?

"...and this is the musical score I've written for the introduction of the ship..."

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That goes along with your sig nicely.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Interviews are out detailing what's going on with the contest judging:

http://www.justin.tv/jupiterbroadcasting/b/283130264
    Skip to 8 minutes and 22 minutes.

Highlights:
    • CBS isn't happy with any of the entries.
    • Biggest thing cryptic is struggling with is "there is no consensus on who should win. Everyone has their favorite ship but there is no clear, obvious winner." This is contradicted by the second interview which states that they have a design selected that they are pushing on CBS.
    • Hope to be able to announce something in the next week.
    • The winning design will be considered canon by CBS. This is also part of the hold-up as they are being very particular about the selection.
    • Many of the entries have "the wrong number of nacelles" or "a different kind of configuration" than what they believe the fans will accept as a new, canonical Enterprise.
    • Cannot wait to get some of the "awesome, awesome ship designs" that are nevertheless "just not an Enterprise" into the game, suggesting that submissions other than the one ultimately chosen as the new Enterprise may be used as well.
    • Hope to announce the 25 top prize winners, top 4 and, presumably, the grand prize winner within the next week.
    • Lots of emails going back and forth "all day long" to determine those winners.

"a different kind of configuration" sounds like mine, so I'm now rather skeptical about my chances.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • The FoolThe Fool Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno man, I think yours is pretty classic. While you were designing it, I was worried that fact might stop yours from getting noticed as much. But based on the new information, the classic look might just be what saves ya.

The Fool on
    edited April 2011
    All the entries they appear to be considering have something in common in that they go saucer-> neck-> engineering-> pylons-> nacelles, as does every other Enterprise except the NX-01 and the J.

Mine goes saucer-> neck/pylons-> engineering/nacelles. That's why I think "a different kind of configuration" may refer to mine, but I've been thinking, and I wouldn't go back and design her differently if I could. This is the ship I wanted to make. The judges decision won't change that, and that makes me feel okay.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited April 2011
    If I were to pitch my design to CBS, I would say this:
    The ideal “Next Enterprise” is both unique and recognizable, and should look like the next logical step into the Star Trek future.

An Enterprise is composed of a saucer, an ellipsoid, and two cylinders connected by struts.

Over Star Trek’s history, circles have become ovals, first wider now longer, and the individual components have begun to merge.

The “Next Enterprise” should continue this trend. Her saucer should be stretched further forward than her predecessor’s, and her components should be more integrated.

I believe my design best meets these qualifications. Thank you for your consideration.

So if anyone at CBS happens to be listening... ;)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited April 2011
    Eagerly awaiting contest results.... hope you win! Or at least get something good (like getting your bad ass ship included in the game)

Hamju on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hamju wrote: »
    Eagerly awaiting contest results.... hope you win! Or at least get something good (like getting your bad ass ship included in the game)

Seconding this. Your design (IMO) hits the perfect spot of "It's an Enterprise, but not the one you know". A lot of the other designs looked either completely out of the Federation Cruiser aesthetic, or looked like the Enterprise-E with some minor modifications.

Of course, if it is added to the game, it'll likely be a c-store item requiring me to spend actual money on it in addition to the subscription. That would make me a sad space panda.

see317 on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah this new enterprise looks like a huge battle-cruiser type ship rather than rinky dink little explorer type ship. About time for the federation's trademark vessel to be the one that beats all the other ships up and takes their lunch money.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2011
    Bird of Prey? More like Bird of Gay m i rite

Hamju on
    edited April 2011
    This was posted in today's engineering report over at StarTrekOnline.com.
    p.s. The Fan Enterprise contest finalists are being notified and we should be able to announce and show everyone the winners (hopefully) next week!

Now on to the report!

So, good luck Fuzzy. Keep an eye on the mailbox.

see317 on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bunch of new Enterprise F pics:

bridge_01_s.jpg
    ent-f_battle_s.jpg
    More and bigger here :)

This whole thread is full of beautiful ships. This one I would want to see just for the bridge alone. Maybe not for the Enterprise but another featured ship. And that lost shot is just awesome.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited April 2011
    Any word? I'm really curious to know how this turned out...

Hamju on
    edited April 2011
    Hamju wrote: »
    Any word? I'm really curious to know how this turned out...

I haven't seen any announcements on the website for the game.
    I'd go into the forums over there and check for any updates, except for the fact that that would require me to read the forums over there...

see317 on
    edited May 2011
    The winners have been notified and I am not among them.

I'll have something to show you when they release the official announcement. Until then my forum activity is likely to be rather minimal.

Thanks for all your help along the way. I'm still very proud of what we made together.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited May 2011
    That sucks Fuzzy. Wish you better luck in whatever future contests you get in on.

see317 on
    edited May 2011
    That is pretty shitty. The only other thing I remember seeing that was halfway decent besides yours was pretty much a clone of the excelsior.

bowen on
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

The winners have been officially announced. http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2415

ent_f_wip_anim_long.gif

1701-f_ultimatefinaldraft_small.jpg

8192 x 2048: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/bonus/big/1701-f_ultimatefinaldraft_big.jpg

As my design didn't even warrant an honorable mention, I have no compunction with sharing it, and it will soon be available for free on Turbosquid in Maya format. Eventually I'll also get it converted to Max and maybe Lightwave too.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited May 2011
    Before I go... like, fucking camping or something... I did want to say that I emailed Cryptic and they emailed me back. To summarize, some of them liked it, but it sounds really unlikely that it will ever make it into the game, without them having said "no" flatout.

Also, by way of a source who will remain nameless for the sole purpose of inviting speculation, I was able to contact Scott Herbertson: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0378643/
    He did me the amazing favor of giving me his thoughts on my design, and I've found his words quite comforting.

I'm really hoping he won't mind me quoting him here:
    I think it is pretty cool and streamlined while still paying tribute to the original architecture. I am not a vehicle guy but I have seen alot of re-works of the Enterprise and yours is just as good as many quite honestly... You clearly have a love of the genre and a strong skill-set. Keep working hard, you never know where it can lead.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man. Really tough break there fuzzy. The response really makes it clear how tough it can be choosing winners from a crowd as dedicated and notoriously obsessive as trekkies; I do hope he's right and that you'll at least have gained a sweet portfolio piece out of this.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited May 2011
    What's funny is I think his was leading the voter board from what the public wanted.

Also, to me, it sounds like the dude is saying, "Uh, apply to be an art guy for us, this looks amazing and we can put you to good use as you seem dedicated."

bowen on
    edited May 2011
    Jesus Christ dude, why aren't you employed by CBS right this second?

bowen on
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure it was CBS that nixed my design out of the top 25, so I rather doubt they'd be inclined to hire me :p

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited May 2011
    The winner offered them orthos and they declined?!?

They've taken control now... It's the ability to improvise they wanted, not a finished product!

Fuuuuck...

The Eve contest was the opposite. They didn't care about the perspective, their only requirement was all 6 orthos. THEY wanted a finished product but Cryptic just wanted a doodle to inspire them to create their own design.

Even more ironic is that those artists in the Eve contest created BEAUTIFUL perspectives too, even though they weren't required!

How could I have misread what this contest was so badly? The website design alone should have told me. Of course they only wanted thumbnails. You can do ANYTHING with a reference that small. I thought I was so clever by figuring out the maximum vertical area...

I could have given them flex room if they'd told me that's what they wanted!

I killed my chances by working too hard. I really just can't believe it.

>sigh<

I'll be fine. Already better than yesterday, and tomorrow is the weekend. I gotta get out of town... go out to the hot springs or up to the hills...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm generally very picky about my starships, but I do really like yours, Fuzzy. I like the cut of your jib.

Delta Assault on
    edited May 2011
    I'm generally very picky about my starships, but I do really like yours, Fuzzy. I like the cut of your jib.

Well I'm raring her for turbosquid right now, so if you have Maya (I believe there is a free student version) you can take her for a spin 8-)

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nooo... I'd rather not peek behind the curtain with such a thing of beauty. Or fly too close to the sun, to use another metaphor. I prefer to view greatness at a distance.

Delta Assault on
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure it was CBS that nixed my design out of the top 25, so I rather doubt they'd be inclined to hire me :p

I'm now beginning to wonder if CBS ever saw my entry. If you were Cryptic, and you wanted to design the Enterprise yourself, begrudgingly holding a contest and using the winning entry as "inspiration"... would you show a complete, polished close-up to CBS?

Maybe CBS wanted something more concrete and didn't see it, maybe that was why it took three months to find a winner.

But then I'm probably just grasping at straws to stop the mental hemorrhaging... It's a dumb theory... and it's arrogant and egotistical, and I don't wanna be "that guy"...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • KouhakuKouhaku Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Sorry, I have to wretch at that design that won the contest. At best it looks like a bad mashup up of an excelsior & oberth class with the nu-enterprise. I'll say this for sure, Fuzzy you got screwed badly imo. =(

Kouhaku on
    edited May 2011
    I don't think it's that bad Kouhaku. At least they didn't go with a sovereign clone.

My Enterprise F is now available for free download: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/603090

Maya for the moment, Max and Lightwave formats to follow.

Please take the time to rate her, and let me know if you have any problems :)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited May 2011
    This quote from dstahl confirms my suspicions about the true nature of the contest.
    The winning ship seemed to inspire the team to make an enterprise that will be both beautiful and new. It inspired the most discussion and the most debate. For some judges, it was a clear winner, for others it was not their favorite by a decent stretch, but in all it was the most talked about and inspiration ship. There have already been numerous concept sketches done internally that were inspired by this ship to help flesh out directions this ship could go.

Just note that we are in contact with CBS hashing out details to make the winning ship fully realized - inspired by the winning sketch and the concepts I've seen that have more detail than the drawing are really beautiful. I can't wait to share them with you.
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3524149

So I really did work myself out of the running. banghead.gif

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited May 2011
    That's silly.

Fuck that shit, load it up on reddit.

bowen on
    edited May 2011
    I heard Cryptic might be hiring. In what may have been a fit of insanity, I've burned my last fumes of optimism (I didn't get that art grant) by revising my resume and sending it in to Cryptic.

Can't hurt right?

Fuzzy Modem on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    You've done very amazing work here. Hopefully you won't be too hard on yourself for not winning. It seems that a lot of these internet contests never end well, whether it be too much drama, fixed results, the winner not being anywhere near worthy, or the people running the contest only do it to get free work from a community while giving little in return as compensation (basically spec work with a "prize" for the chosen winner).

If you continue to do great work then you'll get noticed. I don't think contests are really the best avenue to achieve success.

bombardier on
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Bombardier. Yeah, I've done 3 1/2 of these contests now, you'd think I would have learned.

Their was just something so romantic about the idea that I could say "I've designed an Enterprise" and it seemed the type of thing that would open doors for me in the future. For some reason I got it in my head that I could effect the outcome of the contest by working the hardest, but I should have known better.

I'm still better off now that I was 6 months ago, as I have some new portfolio pieces and a better grasp of how to unwrap UVs in Maya. I just have a giant hole where my optimism used to be, and that'll take a while to heal, if it does at all. Still, there are worse things in life than being jaded.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Really, nothing but good came from this. Don't take contest judging personally, its a really easy way to set yourself up for disappointment. I'm looking forward to your next project, I hope you keep on truckin'

Iruka on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah some of those stills you made are fucking amazing artwork themselves.

bowen on
    edited May 2011
    Andrew Probert was kind enough to have a look at my 3D model, give me some notes, and exchange doodles, which I hope he won't mind me posting here:

probertassist01.jpg

His primary suggestions were struts in a U shape rather than a V shape, a larger deflector, and a rounder saucer.

I'm toying with the idea of whipping up a new model based on these changes, this time with actual saucer separation.

Thanks for the assist Andrew :) It felt like jamming with Bruce Springsteen :D

Fuzzy Modem on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ... WOAHFUCK That's neat! Talk about time NOT WASTED AT ALL on that model. Dayyuum, congratulations (I guess?), that's really cool.

m3nace on