As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Judgement Day and We Can Know: What the hell?

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Green wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    NPR has a good article on this here.
    Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.
    Jesus, this is heartbreaking. So many people are going to be irreperably fucked because they bought into this, and their children are going to pay the price for their gullibility.

Family Radio, the organization behind all this, is estimated to be worth about $100 million. I'm sure that once they realize the error, they will liquidate their assets in order to make sure that those harmed by their ministry are able to get their lives back on track.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Modern Man wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I always thought the Rapture would be a pretty cool thing for God to do.

The leaving us secularists here to run things part.
    According to the book Soon, the global atheist dictatorship will cure cancer, develop telephones that can be implanted in the skull, be full of people willing to give to charity, value intelectualism and humanism and establish world peace (by, admittedly, outlawing religion).

It's written by Jerry Jenkins, the same guy who wrote Left Behind, so it must be true.
    I read one of the Left Behind novels on a plane flight once. It was pretty terrible.

But the thing that struck me about it is just how little effect that Rapture seemed to have on most people. Like, all the kids in the world disappear and their parents aren't freaking out and storming the Capitol demanding answers from the government?
    Everyone seemed pretty calm in the face of an event of Biblical proportions. And there's a really weird plotline about the anti-Christ conning the President into giving him Air Force One for some inexplicable reason. That storyline went on and on for pages. I'm pretty sure the President can't give away Air Force One, anyway.

I think thats one of the biggest plot-holes right there. If that happend in the real world, People would lose their collective shit so hard, 9/11 would be a picknic by comparison.

I am saying that one of the promises the anti-Christ would make would be "I can get your kids back" and people would sign up in droves.
    So many of the things in the book were shoehorned in without research just to meet some supposed Biblical prophecies.

The President unilaterally agrees to give away and destroy the US military arsenal, even though he has no power to do so. He binds the US to a treaty without getting Senate approval. You can apparently fill out a job application to be the pilot for Air Force One, even if you're a civilian.

It was pretty clear that the authors were pretty ignorant of a lot of things. They just wanted to write a book about the Rapture, but decided to forego any research on the real world aspects of their book.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    NPR has a good article on this here.
    Haubert says the Bible contains coded "proofs" that reveal the timing. For example, he says, from the time of Noah's flood to May 21, 2011, is exactly 7,000 years. Revelations like this have changed his life.

Bearing in mind that: 1 year = (From "way back" until "I say so")/7000

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Every dime these fruitcakes sink into publicizing this is money that isn't spent on Republican campaigns and anti-gay legislation.

So I'm all for it. Buy more billboards, please. It's not like there was any chance whatsoever they would have spent this money on something more worthwhile than keeping print/sign/billboard companies in business anyway.

Guess that's true - I'd rather have billboards full of this idiocy than anti-gay billboards.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It's a bit creepy how many Christians in America are so sure that Jesus is going to come back during their lifetime. Does it not occur to them that a huge portion of now-dead Christians in history were also sure that Jesus would be back during their lifetimes?

This particular brand of idiocy goes right back to Jesus himself. In the earliest Gospel, Mark, he makes it very clear that the Kingdom of God (which was not at all like modern ideas of the rapture. Jesus had nothing to do with that whatsoever) would arrive in power during the lifetime of people listening to him personally. As in, Jesus' own prediction is over 1900 years late at this point.

Later gospels, once the predictions of The Man had failed, started to fudge things a bit about when exactly the Kingdom would arrive. But they all are built around the idea that it is coming soon.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Thankfully, their pets will all be safe.

(Yesterday my boss pointed me towards the website of an atheist guy who has a network of volunteers who will rescue your pets in case of rapture for the low-low upfront fee of $135, good for ten years).

That is awesome! Capitalism, atheism and caring for pets all in one!

Yesssssssss

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The head honcho of this is doing it all wrong. Successful religious con-men keep making vague predictions that can either never be disproved, or easily shoehorned into any normal occurrence.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The head honcho of this is doing it all wrong. Successful religious con-men keep making vague predictions that can either never be disproved, or easily shoehorned into any normal occurrence.

Well his current track record of failed predictions hasn't really slowed him down

Green on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Post-rapture is not pleasent. It's pretty much God boiling the seas and killin all non-human life.

And I think there's a talking lamb. So expect a Lambchop revival at some point.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Post-rapture is not pleasent. It's pretty much God boiling the seas and killin all non-human life.

And I think there's a talking lamb. So expect a Lambchop revival at some point.

Ah yes. The real meaning of "hell on Earth" is "The Song The Never Ends"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Have you seen how old the guy making the predictions is? Whether or not there's a Rapture coming this time he seems like he's not going to make it past one more. In light of that, it makes sense for him to go for broke and see how many people he can bilk, by the time anyone can bring real suit against him he'll probably be long gone.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The rapture better not come

I'm not done restoring my car

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    People who suggest we will collide with an unknown planet are extra silly, where would this planet have been hiding all the time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_matter

Theoretically invisible, nearly undetectable matter may exist that only interacts with normal matter via gravity. The earth suddenly superimposing itself onto an earthsized planet sized or bigger chunk of it would be catastrophic to say the least.

Of course this is unlikely to the extreme even if mirror matter is prevalent at the same levels as non-mirror matter. It would be an interesting way to end the world though. Everyone suddenly crushed for no apparent reason.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Every dime these fruitcakes sink into publicizing this is money that isn't spent on Republican campaigns and anti-gay legislation.

So I'm all for it. Buy more billboards, please. It's not like there was any chance whatsoever they would have spent this money on something more worthwhile than keeping print/sign/billboard companies in business anyway.

Guess that's true - I'd rather have billboards full of this idiocy than anti-gay billboards.

Oh oh! We should keep doing this!

Let's just set traps for the religious right. After May 21st, let's start some other kind of nonsense campaign for them to sink their money, time and effort in instead of gay rights or education.

The end of the world was a good one. But what's a better one? Preferably one that won't end?

Melkster on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    A billboard that says "Jesus is returning tomorrow."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    People who suggest we will collide with an unknown planet are extra silly, where would this planet have been hiding all the time?

Theoretically invisible, nearly undetectable matter may exist that only interacts with normal matter via gravity. The earth suddenly superimposing itself onto an earthsized planet sized or bigger chunk of it would be catastrophic to say the least.

Of course this is unlikely to the extreme even if mirror matter is prevalent at the same levels as non-mirror matter. It would be an interesting way to end the world though. Everyone suddenly crushed for no apparent reason.

I hope it's highly theoretical because it sounds very silly.
    "Because mirror matter is analogous to ordinary matter, it is then to be expected that a fraction of the mirror matter exists in the form of mirror galaxies, mirror stars, mirror planets etc"

Now if it interacts with ordinary matter via gravity, why the hell would it segregate and form its own galaxies in the first place.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

"Because mirror matter is analogous to ordinary matter, it is then to be expected that a fraction of the mirror matter exists in the form of mirror galaxies, mirror stars, mirror planets etc"

Now if it interacts with ordinary matter via gravity, why the hell would it segregate and form its own galaxies in the first place.

Well look at what we're doing right now.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to associate with us.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

(Yesterday my boss pointed me towards the website of an atheist guy who has a network of volunteers who will rescue your pets in case of rapture for the low-low upfront fee of $135, good for ten years).

God damn, I wish I'd thought of that before.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

Hey, come on now. Repeatedly predicting the rapture unsuccessfully didn't stop the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

God damn, I wish I'd thought of that before.

Pfeh. For the low, low introductory price of $99.95 each, I will approach one atheist after the Rapture and remind them, "Nyah, nyah, [YOUR NAME] Told you so!"

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder the exact reasoning of expecting it to be that date. I think people are just trying to cram as much end of the worldisms together at this point. Or maybe its some crazed social experiment to see how many people they can get to follow along. The educated have nothing to panic about. We still have dolphins and they'd have warned us if the world was coming to an end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojydNb3Lrrs

...well fuck.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Gravity isn't that strong of a force nonlocally, that's like asking why all the matter in the universe doesn't exist in a giant clump. There's a lot of empty space, and variations in the early universe might favor formation of one form over the other in certain regions.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder the exact reasoning of expecting it to be that date.

They're claiming it's the 7,000-year anniversary of Noah's flood.

And that 1,000 years literally equals one day to God.

And that, when God told Noah "The flood will come in seven days," he meant a whole different flood, which wasn't really a flood, would come in 7,000 years, because Noah needed to know that.

And that God was just kidding when he said he wouldn't do it again.

And, of course, that the whole story of Noah's flood happened in the first place.

And that we can accurately trace the entire chronology from the precise date of the flood onward, by, um, JESUS HALLELUJAH!

Grombar on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Grombar wrote: »

And that, when God told Noah "The flood will come in seven days," he meant a whole different flood, which wasn't really a flood, would come in 7,000 years, because Noah needed to know that.

And, of course, that the whole story of Noah's flood happened in the first place.

And that we can accurately trace the entire chronology from the precise date of the flood onward, by, um, JESUS HALLELUJAH!

Maybe its the disillusioned catholic/christian in me, but I'd love to see the math/science that goes into this theory.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been staring at one of these billboards on the highway for months now. I thought it was just some revival thing until I read an article yesterday.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This kind of thing produces two reactions in me, one worse than the other.

1. Sigh. Decide between rolling eyes and pointing/laughing.

2. Hope there IS a God, and He decides to "just happen" to off the idiot at his appointed time. "I'm sick of people claiming to know the end. Anyone else predicting it gets to be right- its THEIR end."

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God, the story about the 27 year old and her husband who have a 2 year old and another one expected in june (although one wonders what they believe will happen to that child) made me so sad that they were so gullible and stupid. They literally budgeted their life savings so theyd have nothing left after may 21st. Ugh, those poor kids have to grow up in poverty now because of their stupid gullible parents.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Gravity isn't that strong of a force nonlocally, that's like asking why all the matter in the universe doesn't exist in a giant clump. There's a lot of empty space, and variations in the early universe might favor formation of one form over the other in certain regions.

Although it's not at all like asking why all the matter in the universe doesn't exist in a giant clump?

If there is an equal amount of mirror matter, since the start of the universe, then shouldn't that be randomly spread out the same way regular matter is. Is what I'm saying.

If entire mirror galaxies were to exist then something would have had to favor attracting large quantities of only mirror matter together, and that is what I think sounds hella silly.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Drakeon wrote: »
    God, the story about the 27 year old and her husband who have a 2 year old and another one expected in june (although one wonders what they believe will happen to that child) made me so sad that they were so gullible and stupid. They literally budgeted their life savings so theyd have nothing left after may 21st. Ugh, those poor kids have to grow up in poverty now because of their stupid gullible parents.

The only sad part is that children are involved. If there weren't children involved I'd say that the parents were about to learn a valuable hard lesson.

But then I also know that they won't learn anything, and it'll be the same when the next prophesy comes.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Drakeon wrote: »

The only sad part is that children are involved. If there weren't children involved I'd say that the parents were about to learn a valuable hard lesson.

But then I also know that they won't learn anything, and it'll be the same when the next prophesy comes.

The only reason the rapture didn't happen was because Jesus Christ and The Battle Pope were able to stop Alexander Luthor from merging all the alternate Earths together thus negating the need for God to summon the chosen to heaven. Maybe next time there is a Crisis of Infinite Beliefs.

I imagine on May 22 there will be tons of reasons why the rapture didn't happen but I think the excuse I created is the best. One can only hope child services intervenes if that family really is destitute after this.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I imagine these doomsday scenarios as some sort of deep underground ring of christian conspiracy theorists working a pool. Like, they all promote their day, hoping that will somehow usher in some sort of apocalypse.

And then when Jesus comes back, he's going to look at them and be all, "Okay, who had December 23rd?"

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Grombar wrote: »

Maybe its the disillusioned catholic/christian in me, but I'd love to see the math/science that goes into this theory.

doomsday >= x / n pi (3 + lh - c) X m2 x e2 x d2 + 3

See. Very simple.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    I've been staring at one of these billboards on the highway for months now. I thought it was just some revival thing until I read an article yesterday.

There was one of these billboards on my commute to work for the past few months, but recently it was taken down in place of a McDonald's billboard.

I guess they weren't willing to pay for the whole month?

edit: also, Dennis Ritchie has the world ending January 19, 2038 (at 03:14:08 UTC) and I trust him way more than I trust this "Family Radio" asshole.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Dennis Ritchie has the world ending January 19, 2038 (at 03:14:08 UTC) and I trust him way more than I trust this "Family Radio" asshole.

What's this now?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »

There was one of these billboards on my commute to work for the past few months, but recently it was taken down in place of a McDonald's billboard.

I guess they weren't willing to pay for the whole month?

edit: also, Dennis Ritchie has the world ending January 19, 2038 (at 03:14:08 UTC) and I trust him way more than I trust this "Family Radio" asshole.

Is this the one where a massive bug or something within programming code will effectively lead to a real y2k? :P

WMain00 on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

That'll be my 50th birthday.

I think I was born real early in the day too (like 2 or 3 am).

Scary.

Igort on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Saw a fleet on Winnebagos with signs for this drivin down the street this morning

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really hate how right-wing Christian extremists think that 'family' is a synonym for straight, right wing traditional Christian nuclear family.

Melkster on