As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Applejack's Wholesome Small-Town Apple Orchard

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gromril wrote: »
    That being said, back to our wholesome discussion about technicolor equines. What monsters do you want them to use next in season 2? I'd like to see a kraken, a roc, and Spike's parents just for starters.
    A Sphinx, maybe. Someone for Twilight to match wits with.

'Course, the problem with many mythological beings is that they're really just funny humans with maybe a few extra bits attached and the Sphinx is no exception. So perhaps instead of being half lion/half human (or one thirds lion/one thirds eagle/one thirds human), it'd have to be a half lion/half pony hybrid.

WotanAnubis on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That being said, back to our wholesome discussion about technicolor equines. What monsters do you want them to use next in season 2? I'd like to see a kraken, a roc, and Spike's parents just for starters.

'Course, the problem with many mythological beings is that they're really just funny humans with maybe a few extra bits attached and the Sphinx is no exception. So perhaps instead of being half lion/half human (or one thirds lion/one thirds eagle/one thirds human), it'd have to be a half lion/half pony hybrid.

Nagas could make for good villains.

Though that may just be my hatred of snakes talking.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hm, considering centaurs in Equestria makes my brain hurt. They're half horse and... half horse. They're horses. o_o

Bigfoot. Is he too human-like to be on the show? There was a spider monkey in The Best Night ever, and that really surprised me. Did that surprise anyone else?

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Isn't a sphinx pretty much just a gryphon with a human face?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The sphinx, in Greek tradition, has the haunches of a lion, the wings of a great bird, and the face and breast of a woman.

SabreMau on
  • GromrilGromril Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They have monkeys in the show, so apes and even hominids (bigfoot/sasquatch) aren't out of the question. Magical selection simply didn't nudge them in the direction of humanity.

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Stilts wrote: »

Why do humans consistently consider snake people to be the bad guys? It's worse than ponies and zebras.

WotanAnubis on
    edited May 2011
    I'd imagine that Judeo Christian mythology has something to do with that. If they did use Nagas, I imagine they would be revealed to be good guys after some confusion with the ponies, as the writers seem to like subverting tropes.

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like how they go for semi-obscure monsters

what other kids' show has a fucking manticore in it

Speed Racer on
  • The InfraThe Infra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Why do humans consistently consider snake people to be the bad guys? It's worse than ponies and zebras.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say that generally people consider snakes scary.

The Infra on
  • FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gorilla: So, uh, how is it being the dominant species?

Rainbow Dash (nonchalant): Eh, it's pretty cool. Can't complain.

Gorilla (sheepish): That's cool. That's cool... Hey, I used a stick to find some termites today!

My Little Pony is alternate prehistory fanfiction.

It would be cool to see cave-ponies, like in one of Twilight's history books or something.

FactorySquirrel on
    edited May 2011
    The Infra wrote: »

I'm gonna go on a limb and say that generally people consider snakes scary.

We have a winner!

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited May 2011
    That doesn't explain why many Eastern cultures revere snakes. While it's true that many people find them scary, cultural conditioning plays a large part as well. Back on topic, I'd be totally sold on Nagas if they had a two or three headed one that argued with itself. They sort of had something like that already with the one disinterested hydra head.

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Clearly the next monster to be encountered is centaurs.

5711574906_1162897d94.jpg

Oh yeah, fear my mad MS Paint skills.

LadyM on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Having sentient gorrillas in the style of the buffalo episode would be pretty damn wierd.

Blurbl on
    edited May 2011
    The centaur pony's cutie mark should be a bow and arrow.

FactorySquirrel on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone fixed Fluttershy's hair in her figurine. looks better now.
    fluttershy_custom_by_agirl3003-d3g2y25.png

halkun on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh HOW do you get it to DO that, halkun? My girlfriend got that exact Fluttershy and it came out of the package with hair resembling Pinkie Pie's.

In other news, I think next season's big nasty monsters should be displacer beasts.

Imperfect on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you know what you can just go to hell

Speed Racer on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be honest, I completely guessed on the One Piece one. In the course of 800 issues or whatever, I just assumed they'd eventually fought manticores.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited May 2011
    One Piece has everything in it.

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i apologize in advance.

can't we all just git along, little doggies?

e: nope, can't actually straight-face "bronies."

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alternative monster: fakies.

13f467881f07.jpg
    cpk_blue1.jpg

pegac2.jpg

LadyM on
    edited May 2011
    The face on the first toy is the creepiest thing I've seen in this thread.

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    about as unsettling as the actual toys, really

TheySlashThem on
    edited May 2011
    Aaaaaaaaaaa

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited May 2011
    It knows. D:

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Speaking of fakies, it would be cool if the main cast encountered a group of ponies who are a bizarro version of themselves. Like, Pinkie Pie's counterpart would be always trying to bring folks down instead of making them happy, and AppleJack's counterpart would lie a lot. Let's see...

Twililght's would be anti-intellectual?
    Rainbow Dash's... would be boring and never take risks?
    Rarity's would be a slob who just didn't care.
    Fluttershy's... um... would be loud and mean?

FactorySquirrel on
    edited May 2011
    Poachershy brings extinction wherever she goes.

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
  • RinzlerRinzler Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like that Seinfeld episode. There should be pony episodes based on Seinfeld.

Rinzler on
    edited May 2011
    Pinkie Pie tries selling just the tops of cupcakes at Sugarcube Corner. Twilight must use magic to make the bottoms go away.

FactorySquirrel on
    edited May 2011
    That doesn't explain why many Eastern cultures revere snakes. While it's true that many people find them scary, cultural conditioning plays a large part as well. Back on topic, I'd be totally sold on Nagas if they had a two or three headed one that argued with itself. They sort of had something like that already with the one disinterested hydra head.

Wotan asked why are they considered villains. Not why they are considered deities. That wasn't even brought up.

The Infra on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

With occasional, terrifying bouts of kindness?

Marshmallow on
    edited May 2011
    The Infra wrote: »
    Wotan asked why are they considered villains. Not why they are considered deities. That wasn't even brought up.
    Yes, I know, and my post was about the perception of snakes depending on the culture. Snakes are viewed in positive light in other places, and deification is just one expression of that.

With occasional, terrifying bouts of kindness?
    She cradles her dieing victims in her hooves while singing lullabies of absolution.

Gromril on
    23k283p.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I think there is already some kind of bizzarro pairings along the main cast, and this is actually the plot of many episodes, like Applejack and Rarity during that sleepover, Twilight and Pinkie Pie in Feeling Pinkie Keen, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy at the beginning of Sonic Rainboom...

I'm sure we can find "bizzarro pairs" with each of the main six, and this is something that makes the characterization so good

The Infra on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fluttershy likes snakes.

See: Winter Wrap-Up

PS:
    aeb8l2.png

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rarity is comedy gold

Jintor on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Those ponies probably wouldn't look so strange if their heads matched their bodies. The bodies are just so tiny.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • TetraTetra The Grumpiest Baby Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

PS:
    aeb8l2.png

I see your Rarity, and raise you
    dashblingbling.jpg?t=1305160147

Tetra on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why is the rolex not drawn on?