As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Judgement Day and We Can Know: What the hell?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    I've been staring at one of these billboards on the highway for months now. I thought it was just some revival thing until I read an article yesterday.

There was one of these billboards on my commute to work for the past few months, but recently it was taken down in place of a McDonald's billboard.

I guess they weren't willing to pay for the whole month?

edit: also, Dennis Ritchie has the world ending January 19, 2038 (at 03:14:08 UTC) and I trust him way more than I trust this "Family Radio" asshole.

Is this the one where a massive bug or something within programming code will effectively lead to a real y2k? :P

Too bad we will still be using all the same computers in 27 years. If only technology advanced faster...

Tomanta on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Melkster wrote: »
    I really hate how right-wing Christian extremists think that 'family' is a synonym for straight, right wing traditional Christian nuclear family.

Just you wait, the Rapture will prove to all of us that this way of family life is the right way!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maybe its the disillusioned catholic/christian in me, but I'd love to see the math/science that goes into this theory.

Wikipedia to the rescue!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio
    Camping teaches that the world will end May 21 2011 1 using the following reasoning:

1. According to Camping, the number five equals "atonement", the number ten equals "completeness", and the number seventeen equals "heaven".

2. Christ is said to have hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.

3. If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days (the number of days in a solar year, not to be confused with the lunar year), the result is 722,449.

4. The time between April 1 and May 21 is 51 days.

5. 51 added to 722,449 is 722,500.

6. (5 x 10 x 17)2 or (atonement x completeness x heaven)2 also equals 722,500.

Now I want to see the math that led him to believe that Sept 1994 was the end times.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Maybe its the disillusioned catholic/christian in me, but I'd love to see the math/science that goes into this theory.

Wikipedia to the rescue!

Camping teaches that the world will end May 21 2011 1 using the following reasoning:

1. According to Camping, the number five equals "atonement", the number ten equals "completeness", and the number seventeen equals "heaven".

2. Christ is said to have hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.

3. If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days (the number of days in a solar year, not to be confused with the lunar year), the result is 722,449.

Now I want to see the math that led him to believe that Sept 1994 was the end times.

That's some whacky maths.

EDIT: And the awesome thing about that math is that if they're wrong, they can just say "Oh woops, atonement actually equals the number 8! Silly us" and the cycle repeats itself.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Squared? What is he, some kind of flat-earther?

Everyone knows that time is a cube.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I couldn't get past point 1 without pausing to digest extra crazy. Points 2-6 don't even matter really. They're like Crazy Gravy.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Thus lending credence to the otherwise apocryphal story that Jesus' first words after his resurrection were "APRIL FOOLS!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

Thus lending credence to the otherwise apocryphal story that Jesus' first words after his resurrection were "APRIL FOOLS!"

And just look at the mess that caused. This is why etiquette demands that all April Fools joke be resolved on April 1st, and not drug out until Easter.

[e] I've been looking over his formula, and I think he's got it wrong. Those numbers (5, 10, 17) clearly correspond to the elements that God himself designed. My research has led me to the conclusion that the rapture can be ushered in by breathing a mixture of Boron, Neon, and Chlorine. Go heavy on the Cl for extra heaven.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There was a stupid movie with Nick Cage where the plot revolves around people doing random maths on random numbers they see until it comes out to a particular number, which of course proves apocalypse/doom/sadness etc. etc. etc.

It was honestly one of the worst ideas for a film ever.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Wikipedia to the rescue!

This guy's path to apocalypse prediction looks a lot like me trying to bullshit my way through an E&M test.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually Nic Cage was in a similar movie called Knowing.

Which is to say that it dealt with numbers and the apocalypse. I haven't seen The Number 23 to know if there's more or less of a connection than that.

It was pretty bad, though it does have a pretty horrific plane crash half way in.

Forar on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Although it's not at all like asking why all the matter in the universe doesn't exist in a giant clump?

If there is an equal amount of mirror matter, since the start of the universe, then shouldn't that be randomly spread out the same way regular matter is. Is what I'm saying.

If entire mirror galaxies were to exist then something would have had to favor attracting large quantities of only mirror matter together, and that is what I think sounds hella silly.

As far as galaxies, you are reading into it more than it says. It doesn't say exclusively mirror galaxies. Although variations in the early universe could favor one or the other regionally. Random doesn't mean uniform, for regular matter there are area with extremely high densities of visible matter and area with none, due to variations in the early universe. On a large scale it balances out, but in this case large scale means an area of space encompassing thousands of galaxies.

Plus mirror matter could exist concurrently with normal matter. Say an earth sized planet existed in the solar system, it would only be noted by wobbles in the orbits of other objects, or by something randomly running into it and suddenly shifting direction.

As to why mirror stars, planets, etc, electromagnetic, weak, and strong forces would strongly favor like matter to collect with matter of the same type on a local level. Remember, mirror matter only interacts via gravity with normal matter. Chemical bonding, magnetism, even physical occlusion are all determined by electromagnetism. An object with no em interactions would be intangible.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually Nic Cage was in a similar movie called Knowing.

Which is to say that it dealt with numbers and the apocalypse. I haven't seen The Number 23 to know if there's more or less of a connection than that.

It was pretty bad, though it does have a pretty horrific plane crash half way in.

I was probably getting Knowing and The Number 23 mixed up in my mind. Knowing was lousy, but 23 was exceptionally bad.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought 23 was about how stupid all the bullshit surrounding the number 23 is, and not an actual application of that numerological nuttery.

Carey stumbles upon a #23 conspiracy theory, then begins seeing the number, or convoluted permutations of the number, everywhere and goes insane trying to unravel the clues to its meaning; because there is no meaning to it.

Or did my memory edit the film's ending to something less terrible? Because that movie was awful, and I tend to do that with movies.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought 23 was about how stupid all the bullshit surrounding the number 23 is, and not an actual application of that numerological nuttery.

Carey stumbles upon a #23 conspiracy theory, then begins seeing the number, or convoluted permutations of the number, everywhere and goes insane trying to unravel the clues to its meaning; because there is no meaning to it.

Or did my memory edit the film's ending to something less terrible? Because that movie was awful, and I tend to do that with movies.

There was some repressed memory thing where it turned out he was the one who started the #23 thing, and then he jumped out a window and was brain damaged, and his manuscript drove other people insane, and then later he drives himself insane (again) trying to unravel it. I barely remember it, and don't remember the end. it was extremely dumb.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

There was some repressed memory thing where it turned out he was the one who started the #23 thing, and then he jumped out a window and was brain damaged, and his manuscript drove other people insane, and then later he drives himself insane (again) trying to unravel it. I barely remember it, and don't remember the end. it was extremely dumb.

Ugh, so clearly I forgot on purpose. See, I remember it as a poor guy distraught over his wife's death who got duped into believing in it as a coping mechanism to give her death meaning. His friend tries half heartedly to help him, but he resists and ultimately gets institutionalized and/or kills himself. The End.

Like a Tragedy/PSA about believing everything you read on the internet, and the importance of emotional support structures during traumatic periods in your life.

I think I'm going to hang on to that version of it and forget what you just told me.
    DynaS.jpg

[Edit 2]
    And as long as I'm rifling through my photobucket account, the OP needs more doom-sayin'
    cthulhu02.jpgcthulhu03.jpg
    cthulhu04.jpg

Mankind
    ? - May 21, 2011

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I was talking with my boss about these guys, as they have a sign near our office.

I've decided I'm going to listen to them from now until just after the 21st, I want to see how the react and how it contrasts with their current message. I've had it on for like 5 minutes already and Camping was on, talking about how the May 21st thing is guaranteed.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Please keep a running commentary in this thread that chronicles your slow descent into madness, kthx.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shit, I hope they're right if it means Cthulu's coming. Wouldn't that be a conundrum for Camping? On the one hand, totally fucking called it, in your faces doubters! On the other hand instead of eternal paradise, you get tentacle raped by a monstrous being of eldritch horror.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey everyone! I just scored this bad ass new job at a physics lab here in town. I'm going to be lab assisting some big experiment with a meteorite they found. I start next Saturday -- I'm really excited!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Shit, I hope they're right if it means Cthulu's coming. Wouldn't that be a conundrum for Camping? On the one hand, totally fucking called it, in your faces doubters! On the other hand instead of eternal paradise, you get tentacle raped by a monstrous being of eldritch horror.

... holy shit, C'thulu Saves The World just got accepted for distribution by Steam. (edit: CSTW is an indie release by some guys from the forums, there's a thread in G&T and everything)

I take back my earlier statement about finding the anti-christ, the true prophet hath revealed themselves, and lo, they are Valve! Praise be unto the Newell!

Forar on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Considering that Terraria was announced to be on Steam I think yesterday and is going to be out on the 16th, what are the odds that CSTW comes out on the 21st?

jothki on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Considering that Terraria was announced to be on Steam I think yesterday and is going to be out on the 16th, what are the odds that CSTW comes out on the 21st?

Valve's ARGs are getting out of hand

Green on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Didn't one of the people who left his job work for the Dept. of Homeland Security?

That's terrifying.

That's Nothing!

Read The Family, Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power

Then google The Fellowship(Christian Organization)(These are the guys Garriot was talking about.)

Then you can shit yourself.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    endtruck.jpg

Deebaser on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "The Bible Guarantees It".

Awesome.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it was parked outside my office yesterday and I took a picture. I was going to upload it to photobucket, but Curbed already had a pic up.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Come May 21st and a million hits, at least their website will be raptured up to that great big server in the sky.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    endtruck.jpg

Yeah, there were about 6 of those things all tooling around downtown Minneapolis a few days ago accompanied by swarms of plackard bedecked crazies.. Was what inspired the thread.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I was talking with my boss about these guys, as they have a sign near our office.

I've decided I'm going to listen to them from now until just after the 21st, I want to see how the react and how it contrasts with their current message. I've had it on for like 5 minutes already and Camping was on, talking about how the May 21st thing is guaranteed.

I'm pretty sure I know how this ends: with your posts becoming less legible and less frequent until the 21st when you make a final post: "THE EYE IS UPON YOU I SERVE NONE BUT KORROCK."

All I'm saying is listening to these people is kinda like the 21st century version of staring into the abyss and having it stare back at you all slack-jawed.
    Tomanta wrote: »

Awesome.
    I only take my billboard-based guarantees from one man: George Zimmer. He's the only one who's come through for me so far.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just find it odd that the sign refers to the End of the World as "awesome news".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just find it odd that the sign refers to the End of the World as "awesome news".

Good_News_Everyone.jpg

Edit, found a better one.

Forar on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, how many of these people will be involved in murder-suicides on May 22?

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's awesome news if you assume you are going to heaven (and conversely, all those people who aren't like you will suffer and eventually go to hell. Take that, heathens!)

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Ideally; zero.

Realistically; more than zero.

:(

Which always struck me as weird, since in many of these religions/cults/whatevers murder and suicide are wrong. Far as I know, even when you're trying to prevent little Timmy from witnessing the end times.

And as noted above, it's the innocent children I feel for the most, be they victims or just those who lose their parents or their standard of living over their parents actions.

Forar on
  • Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The thing is, if memory serves (and I could very well be wrong), the Bible is very specific in Revelation that you should not a.) try to predict when The End will come and b.) you should NOT be welcoming it and treating it as some kind of wonderful thing. The idea being that both things are basically trying to put oneself in God's shoes by deciding when it will happen and who will be in the Rapture (similar to "Judge not, lest ye be judged."). So yeah, pretty stupid even from a believer's perspective...

Kongo on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm pretty sure I know how this ends: with your posts becoming less legible and less frequent until the 21st when you make a final post: "THE EYE IS UPON YOU I SERVE NONE BUT KORROCK."

All I'm saying is listening to these people is kinda like the 21st century version of staring into the abyss and having it stare back at you all slack-jawed.
    Tomanta wrote: »

Awesome.
    I only take my billboard-based guarantees from one man: George Zimmer. He's the only one who's come through for me so far.

Listening to the May 11 show right now. It is basically a mix of people asking that Camping read and interpret a bible verse and people calling in to argue about specific things such as why numbers can be reduced to a number of prime factors (Oh and every prime means something! Surely it can't be a coincidence that every number they bring up can be factored in this way!) or what exactly constitutes a "church" (Camping is very big on the idea that he doesn't represent a denomination or church).

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    The choice is easy- praise Chtulhu and he will show you the mercy of eating you first, and giving you a quick death in his horrible maw.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Probably a few?

But if you read and listen to a lot of the folks who are buying into this crap? A lot of them are of the mind that if they're still here on May 22nd, then they weren't good enough to go to heaven and they're in hell already. I suspect rather than commit suicide, a lot of them are just going to wake up and say, "Oh, no. I'm in hell."

Pretty much like a normal monday morning. Only a sunday.

Nucker on