As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scroll [Buttoneers] so good, like the butter on a muffin (Discount GET!)

• Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, Snickers, woe unto you. Woe unto you for making me look upon the face of macarons. Now I have to see if I have almond flour and a spare four hours to make a batch of twelve cookies *iznotexaggeratingthatmuch*

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Menolly07 wrote: »
    Oh, Snickers, woe unto you. Woe unto you for making me look upon the face of macarons. Now I have to see if I have almond flour and a spare four hours to make a batch of twelve cookies *iznotexaggeratingthatmuch*

Macarons, huh? So that's what they're called. I've seen pictures of them and never knew what they are. Do they taste like marzipan?

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited May 2011
    Macarons, huh? So that's what they're called. I've seen pictures of them and never knew what they are. Do they taste like marzipan?
    They have a very similar flavour profile in that they have sweet and almond flavours. They have virtually the same ingredients: egg whites, sugar, almonds. However, marzipan is ground almonds and granulated sugar with egg whites. Macarons are almond flour (so finer grinding), confectioners sugar and whipped egg whites. Macarons are a super light cookie with a super thin, crisp outside and a moist, soft inside. You bite into them, and the outside MELTS on your tongue, the inside is chewy, and has just the right amount of sweet. That's just the cookie! I made some green tea macarons and filled them (they're a sandwich cookie) with a rose water, super light icing. I've made other kinds as well, and about any flavour can be introduced.

They're time intensive because you have to let the piped 'batter' rest for a couple hours before baking. The flour needs to hydrate. They're labour intensive because it's simply not a recipe you can multiply. You have to do one batch at a time, and my recipe only yields about twenty finished cookies. That's about forty cookies before they're filled. And we're talking about an inch in diameter cookies. They're delicious, but there's a reason they're not a common cookie.... And............
    This had NOTHING to do with buttons. So I'm putting it into a spoiler tag to not hijack.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • ThatyounghooliganThatyounghooligan Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    I'm looking forward to bringing some buttons this year, as I was wholly unprepared for the amount of button fetish that would await me last September.

Thatyounghooligan on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm in, I just need to think of something good...

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think I'll be trying for a few buttons based around some original characters of mine. I haven't found a good, official 'PAX Prime 2011' logo or anything of the sort yet, but I'm not sure how they'd feel about those getting used on these anyways. A work in progress, but here's the general idea so far.

Has anyone ever done a 'button men' style of game with these? Or has it usually just been about the collecting?

Mattaui on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pretty much just the collecting. A game makes things too complicated.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have my grunt and rainbow needle buttons from last year... and I will be adding just 1 more to the mix. I've not yet decided what. I'd like to get a rainbow dragon put on a button, but do I really want to mass distribute my tattoo idea, if I dont have the tattoo yet?

Sarahstrasza on
  • Chick BowdrieChick Bowdrie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mattaui wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done a 'button men' style of game with these? Or has it usually just been about the collecting?

I'm curious what ^this^ is.

Last year I thought Buttoneering was more about trading and meeting interesting people. I found it quite the adventure and I'm in again this year. Same button style, new chick ;-)

Chick Bowdrie on
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post, however a large amount of electrons were severely inconvenienced.
  • Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    VT needs to do some updatin before it gets out of hand

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
    edited May 2011

I'm curious what ^this^ is.

Last year I thought Buttoneering was more about trading and meeting interesting people. I found it quite the adventure and I'm in again this year. Same button style, new chick ;-)

Buttonmen is a button-based fast combat game produced by Cheapass Games that involves buttons of characters with stats on them, and dice. A fast paced and silly sort of game, and while there are official rules and official buttons, for a time people did their own custom ones. It won an Origins award back in 1999, which has suddenly reminded me how old I am. :)

Anyway, some links - http://www.cheapass.com/bpu/start.html
    And interestingly enough, seems like Cheapass has looked into revitalizing the line, must be buttonmania in the air - http://www.cheapass.com/node/40

Mattaui on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Psst!

Lookie!
    PAX11Buttons.jpg

106 of those to pass out. Oddly enough, no Oopsie-Buttons (defected) this time around.

Also received my bonus buttons as well (~50 of each, three different kinds) but those will be a secret!

I will also have buttons from last year for those that missed it/are First Years.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited May 2011
    CaptainTadpole, I just plain old LOVE those! But I think the avatar is SUPER cute. I may have to needlework that. It'd be precious in my nephew's room.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Buttons ordered today - 250 apiece for the [E] husband and myself. :)

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was going to do 250 buttons, 1.25", with a picture of a nipple on it.

Then I was going to do 100 bonus buttons with a pierced nipple on it.

Then you wear one on each side.

Purebuttons even approved the idea, but I don't think I have enough nerve to go through with it. I'm afraid I'd pay to make them and then someone there would tell me they were inappropriate and I couldn't give them out. Then I'd be out the cash AND uncool because I didn't have buttons to give out. :(

SpaceGhost2K on
  • DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I may or may not have just placed my order.....

I'm very excited to see them fully produced.

Dannicus on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sad to say that I have more buttons left over from '09 than I got for this year.

So. The following I have...

Button from '08 (Year One) - 13
    Button from '09 (Year Two) - 120ish
    Bonus Button Part 2 (Year Two) - 13
    Button from '10 (Year Three) - 30
    The Boyfriend's Button (Year Three) - 10

Here is what I am going to do. For those who are First Years this year have the chance to receive all five of these buttons. Remember, only 10 folks will be able to receive ALL five buttons.
    An additional three folks will receive four out of the five (no spoon) and 27 additional folks will receive the Daisy-Frog and Frog & Tadpoles. And then I will have an additional buttload to those who want the Frog & Tadpoles.

Now, for those who are asking for Part One of the Bonus Button. Somehow that got given all away by Frightfully English and 13 people did not come to me for Part Two. And it's been two years, so they go byebye.

Below are the pictures of the buttons in order from the list above.
    AllButtons.jpg

NOW. These buttons are NOT exclusive to First Years; but more of a First Come First Served format. I just want to get rid of these buttons so I can have room for the rest of you awesome kids! ^_^

CaptainTapole on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am pretty sure I can proudly claim to have all those already. <3

Btw, I should have the site up for buttoneer uploading and tracking soon.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited May 2011
    DIBS! I call dibs.....Dibs as a first year.....dibs..

Dannicus on
    edited May 2011
    So I made a preliminary design of a bonus button. Something that goes with Danger Mouse, but is somewhat PAX related.Thoughts?

OPTION 1:
    instc3.jpg

OPTION 2:
    2j4ybsp.jpg

I rather like option two. This is my limited run button, a public service announcement, as well as what I think is a pretty rad button.

Dannicus on
  • Cosmic HippoCosmic Hippo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Two years ago I had a Great Reaction to my first Button that I'm Bringing it back.
    hippobtn125.jpg

Along this a new Button yet to be determined.

Cosmic Hippo on
  • ReedtekReedtek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Last year, I was a bit on the shy side for my first time Buttoneering. That said, I plan to be a lot more vocal about it it this year ;)

And with that, I give you this year's design:
    minecraftbutton.png

Reedtek on
    edited May 2011
    Federal regulations require me to warn you that this next image...
    37Pswl.jpg
    is looking pretty good.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am new to PAX this year so I am so in for this.

On a side note... gonna need an avatar. To photoshop!

edit: ok I am thinking this.
    15_INCH_TEMPLATE_done.jpg

afipanic on
    Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • CalyaCalya Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Long time PAX attendee, first time buttoneer,

I'm so excited. I have to work on a design. I got permission from some of my favorite musicians to make buttons for them and I'm going to design my own. I'm going to be flush with buttons! Sooo many buttons!

twitter.com/bm0nies

Calya on
    edited May 2011
    Hey, afipanic.. I like your button and all... But maybe you should Photoshop him eating a bowl of Graeter's.... Mmmmmmm.... Graeter's.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hi guys! Sorry that I haven't been around: I haven't had much time to myself to actually catch up on things for a while now. =( I'm going to see if I can get up to date here today, while I have some time...

EDIT: Alright! The front page has been updated with all of the designs, final buttons, and bonus buttons I could find as I went through the list.

If I missed you somehow, please let me know! PM me or post here! I was looking for spoiler tags for button images... so I may have missed you if you just posted a link (or something like that), I'll make a second pass now just to check.

Also, just1legend - none of your images are loading, at least for me, for some reason. What are you hosting them from? Any chance you could post them somewhere like imgur by any chance?

My apologies for the tardiness of this update: I'll try to make sure to at least update weekly. Life outside of work kind of fell off my radar for a while there. =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited May 2011
    So, when using PureButtons, does anyone else pay the extra $5-$10 to get assistance or to get a digital proof? I wasn't planning on it, but after they warn you that they won't guarantee the art unless you pick one of those options, I hesitated. My plan was to just submit the .psd file, and I notice in their suggestions they say to hide or delete the template layer. Is that generally what others have done?

Thanks for the advice. My button design is further up in the thread.

Mattaui on
    edited May 2011
    So, when using PureButtons, does anyone else pay the extra $5-$10 to get assistance or to get a digital proof? I wasn't planning on it, but after they warn you that they won't guarantee the art unless you pick one of those options, I hesitated. My plan was to just submit the .psd file, and I notice in their suggestions they say to hide or delete the template layer. Is that generally what others have done?

What I do is either erase the lines or just recolour the lines to the background. That's what I did and my buttons worked out rather well.

Edit to Add: Most occasions--if asked right, the PureButtons folk somehow make the lines disappear as well if you accidentally left there. Or they will EMail you; asking for a correction.

CaptainTapole on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aye, Tapole's right: just use the template and erase those lines, and you're pretty much 100% sure to get what you're expecting. I don't think I've ever seen one that's gone wrong when they've used the template image Purebuttons provides.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited May 2011
    Sigh...I just saw that stuff about removing the lines...my order is already in...over a week ago...well I guess you all will be getting buttons with black lines...

Dannicus on
    edited May 2011
    Dannicus wrote: »
    Sigh...I just saw that stuff about removing the lines...my order is already in...over a week ago...well I guess you all will be getting buttons with black lines...

Go ahead and contact purebuttons about that. It may not be too late to fix

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Menolly07 wrote: »
    Hey, afipanic.. I like your button and all... But maybe you should Photoshop him eating a bowl of Graeter's.... Mmmmmmm.... Graeter's.

Haha maybe I should. I do love their ice cream...

afipanic on
    Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Brian4120 wrote: »
    Dannicus wrote: »

Go ahead and contact purebuttons about that. It may not be too late to fix

They mention that a real person looks at your order, and there have been many times in the past years that they've had to remove the lines for people. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you sent them the PSD.

EDIT: Not to say that contacting them isn't still a good idea...just saying they've been good about it in the past.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited May 2011
    Hey guys, would you like an easier way to keep up with everyone's buttons? How about a nifty way to track which ones you have and which you don't? Wouldn't it be nice if someone made some sort of app so you could do this?

Well I haven't, so go away.

OK, if you're still here, then I have a secret...I'm working on it right now and I'd like your help to test it! Head on over to http://buttoneering.heroku.com, create an account (and wait for the verification email), then upload your buttons. It is JUST a test at the moment and is undergoing HEAVY DEVELOPMENT, but it should work! I will likely clear the database one more time between now and the "official" launch date, so don't be scared to do something that you think might screw stuff up. I need to have that stuff happen now rather than later! Also, if you have any questions, suggestions, or criticism, please let me know.

Thanks!

jonxp on
    edited May 2011
    I e-mailed them on Monday hoping to catch them, still no word. I'm crossing my fingers though. :) Live and learn, I'm a Buttoneer rookie after all.

Dannicus on
    edited May 2011
    Ok, guys, I have all the functionality there, so even though I'm not done making it pretty, I'm announcing...

BUTTONEERING!.org

Features:
    • Upload your buttons and see everyone else's
    • Easily track the ones you've collected
    • Lots of cool filters and sorting to help you find the button you're looking for
    • Makes VThornheart's life easier by exporting the button list in BBCode format
    • Keep up with your collection from year to year, event to event, so you can see just how much awesome you've seen

So sign up, (make sure to use your forum name from here!), check your email for the confirmation, and then upload your artwork.

Click here for the shortcut to the button list for this year's PAX

I'm taking all feedback and suggestions, and if anyone wants to help with the design at all, please let me know! Especially if you have some idea for illustrations that work for the three points on the main page.

Enjoy!

jonxp on
    edited May 2011
    I have registered my button. If I end up doing a bonus button, I'll post that one as well. Still undecided on that one.

Dannicus on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What would be awesome is a way to put up my collection from the previous years, but I doubt we'll find all the artwork for em.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited May 2011
    Infidel wrote: »
    What would be awesome is a way to put up my collection from the previous years, but I doubt we'll find all the artwork for em.

Yeah, I tried to think of a solution for that, but really it would require us to make accounts on behalf of other people, which is a Bad Thing™.

Also, when you guys upload your art, remove the black guidelines so that it looks like what you would send to PureButtons. I don't have any way to do that since I can't accept PSDs.

jonxp on