As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Friday, May 13, 2011

2»

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    faits wrote: »
    Unless it has hats.

Not sure how serious you're being here (I'm guessing not very), but I'm going to take this opportunity to talk up Brink's character customization: it's actually pretty darn good! There are a couple of quibbles (like scars/tattoos being permanent), but it's both possible and enjoyable to make a cool and unique-looking dude.

The game's character art style works better "live" once you're used to it than you may have expected from a few still still screens or YouTube clips. Someone described the characters as looking like action figures, and I think that's a pretty good description.

Gaslight on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I see no problem with developers focusing on exclusively on mulitplayer

I agree with this

is there literally a single human being on the planet that ever played through battlefields single player?

BFBC2's single player is a crime against humanity. I tried, I really did (my usual is to play through the entire singleplayer before touching multiplayer, because often some maps will be "spoiled" in multi). But it was unbearable, so I decided to "take a break" and hit multi for a few.

Never looked back.

mcdermott on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Unless it has hats.

Not sure how serious you're being here (I'm guessing not very), but I'm going to take this opportunity to talk up Brink's character customization: it's actually pretty darn good! There are a couple of quibbles (like scars/tattoos being permanent), but it's both possible and enjoyable to make a cool and unique-looking dude.

The game's character art style works better "live" once you're used to it than you may have expected from a few still still screens or YouTube clips. Someone described the characters as looking like action figures, and I think that's a pretty good description.

The bolded is, I think, the definition of a "sounds good on paper" feature. Because it does. Sound cool, that is. Like, I hear that and wonder why nobody else has done it (or I haven't heard of it if they have).

Then I realize that if I actually played the game, that would probably piss me off eventually. A lot.

mcdermott on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »

I agree with this

is there literally a single human being on the planet that ever played through battlefields single player?

BFBC2's single player is a crime against humanity. I tried, I really did (my usual is to play through the entire singleplayer before touching multiplayer, because often some maps will be "spoiled" in multi). But it was unbearable, so I decided to "take a break" and hit multi for a few.

Never looked back.

I enjoyed BC2 single player and I played through it twice on 360 and PC. It was good fun stuff ya geese plus it looked gorgeous. The Bad Company games were meant to have single player compared to the other Battlefield games.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Unless it has hats.

The bolded is, I think, the definition of a "sounds good on paper" feature. Because it does. Sound cool, that is. Like, I hear that and wonder why nobody else has done it (or I haven't heard of it if they have).

Then I realize that if I actually played the game, that would probably piss me off eventually. A lot.

Consensus seems to be that the few permanent-once-chosen elements of character creation are a leftover from some earlier plan for the game with a more robust story-driven experience. As it is, it's just kind of annoying that you can't change that when you can change almost everything else. But since you can change almost everything else, it doesn't stop the character customization from being a really nice little perk of the game.

Gaslight on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Framling wrote: »

I agree with this

I played through Bad Company's single player and never touched multi.

I hate competitive multiplayer. I actually had some hope for Brink, but if there's no story and it's just fighting people because they're there, looks like I won't bother.

Yeah this.

And the multiplayer doesn't even sound that great to be honest.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I enjoyed the new perspective of the couch as well.

Also: Gabe's diet is working (here and here). He's skinny as fuck in this one.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    pure multiplayer games with an entire absence of absolutely any semblance of single player content are about the furthest you can possibly get from fun for me

in mmo's i can solo when i want and team when i'm lonely, but there's god damned nothing in brink, if i wanted to play an fps that was nothing but me running around shooting meat bots by myself all day i'd plug in perfect dark

I

I love Perfect Dark.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hell if it's anything like Wolf:ET you got me.
    been waiting for a modern update of that one.
    I enjoyed the hell out of ET:Quakewars a lot but nobody's playing that any more..
    they did release a new Wolfenstien but the multiplayer was like... wow they couldn't have made it any worse if they tried!

jwalk on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Multiplayer-only shooters with only 8 maps (and only one objective per map per side) should not be $60. I know there's no middleground for consoles between a $15 downloadable title and a $60 retail title but they'd get a lot less flack for the game's issues and limitations if they only charged like $30 for it.

As of right now they're losing sales because it's maybe $45 worth of game for $60.

So, I actually only paid $40 for it. Amazon immediately reduced the game to $55 after release and gave everyone that refund, plus I got some amazon thinamajig coupon for $15 off.

I still wish I could trade it back for the cash. The netcode is fucking awful, and the map design is pretty atrocious. They made this awesome "parkour" movement system, then built maps that are mostly killing tunnels where each side suicides against a single objective point for 10 minutes. It's not unfun, to the point where I won't even play it. I'm playing it and trying to get my $40 of enjoyment out, but I would undo the sale if I could.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    there is a good game here, but the bitch is locked in a cast-iron chastity belt of suck.

Vee on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Quoth wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    If I ever played pen-and-paper RPGs, I'd be a cleric. A cleric who sells complex and expensive healthcare plans to his comrades at the beginning of the campaign.

"Resurrection, huh? That's pretty pricey. Give me your fucking boots."

i am stealing this and writing a story about it

consider it THIEVED

You can't thieve that! Because I'm going to put in in a box with a ribbon and a name tag and hand it to you!

When will you learn that there is no plan, no matter how cunning, that I cannot foil?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If I ever played pen-and-paper RPGs, I'd be a cleric. A cleric who sells complex and expensive healthcare plans to his comrades at the beginning of the campaign.

consider it THIEVED

You can't thieve that! Because I'm going to put in in a box with a ribbon and a name tag and hand it to you!

When will you learn that there is no plan, no matter how cunning, that I cannot foil?

My plan is to get you to foil this plan.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

consider it THIEVED

fullsizepan.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited May 2011
    it's some kind of tin dish?

anyway this game is $42.99 for PC at amazon..
    it's also 49.99 for console(s) instead of the bullshit 59.99.
    it's also rated higher on the PS3 than the Xbox. so HA take THAT!... or something (I bought it for PC).

jwalk on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    foil this plan, not foil this pan

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jwalk wrote: »
    it's also rated higher on the PS3 than the Xbox. so HA take THAT!... or something (I bought it for PC).

because they haven't actually played it yet!

Burden of Proof on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Playing a Medic in Brink is loads of fun. You get into a firefight, you can duck around a corner, heal yourself and finish the other guy off. You go on the frontlines with other people and you keep propping them up when they fall over, and if you're speccing yourself well you've got like nine pips to work with so you never run out of heals.

DarkPrimus on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://youtu.be/_GtQWZadAeA

medic was beast in enemy territory too, heal yourself, heal your team mates

best class in that game (i want to play)

donhonk on
    edited May 2011
    lol
    medic!
    medic!
    medicmedicmedic!

god I miss that game

jwalk on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

consider it THIEVED

fullsizepan.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74GdZs2Ilk4&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_529246

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    donhonk wrote: »

Plus you got the resurrection syringes and you could run through a pile of bodies and everyone would look up at you hopefully.

KalTorak on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I like the perspective of this comic. It's a simple couch comic done differently and it looks good.

It does mix things up a bit. It used to be every couch comic had it facing either to the left of the panel or directly on. Lately it's been facing the right more often, and showing more of the floor and the doorway is useful too.

So that it doesn't become stale

That was fantastic by the way.

BlackDove on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Some of my favourite games were multiplayer centric

Tribes, Counter-Strike (mostly the old one), Team Fortress 1 and 2, Unreal Tournament, (again...mostly the old ones) the Battlefield series and the Quake games

A good multiplayer game lasts so much longer than a single player game for me

There just aren't that many good ones around I think

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Unreal Tournament (the original) is still my favorite multiplayer FPS ever. That game was pretty much perfect. I once placed 6th at a tournament held at Universal Studios. While there was certainly no reward for 6th place, I still feel pretty good about it to this day.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel so bad for people who jump in on day one or, hell, month one of any massively multiplayer sort of game.

It never ends well.

I'll check back in like August, after beating Catherine, when the game has been tamed into a playable state.

Until then, enjoy, pioneers!

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But the first month of WoW was full of memorable moments.

Sure, they were moments of watching queue numbers count down at the login screen, yet that was very memorable.

SabreMau on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    donhonk wrote: »

Plus you got the resurrection syringes and you could run through a pile of bodies and everyone would look up at you hopefully.

Then they start bitching at you because they're still lying on the floor but you only have so many supply pips.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Sure, they were moments of watching queue numbers count down at the login screen, yet that was very memorable.

The best moments in WoW were when people were just hitting 30ish and fighting back and forth on PvP servers for the hell of it, with no actual point.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The best moments in WoW were when people were just hitting 30ish and fighting back and forth on PvP servers for the hell of it, with no actual point.

I could not agree with this more. The world PvP in general was so fun (and pointless) until a lot of people starting hitting 60. My best memories were certainly around level 30 though.

Fandeathis on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fandeathis wrote: »

I could not agree with this more. The world PvP in general was so fun (and pointless) until a lot of people starting hitting 60. My best memories were certainly around level 30 though.

The last night before the beta test servers went down was pure calamity.
    All the beta characters were getting deleted so nobody had anything to lose and entire servers full of testers formed raiding parties and assaulted the opposing faction's nearest capital.

TankHammer on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I remember not being able to defend Stormwind for shit when that happened.

Fandeathis on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well, the single player is certainly... something.

the bot AI is pretty bad, but I can see this being fun with actual people.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I remember the first person on the server to get a mount, after like a week of the game being live. Fucker was a king.

I also remember someone being really snarky about doing Scarlet Monastery. They were all 'would love to chat, but I gotta go do SM. Don't worry, it's too hard for you people, you wouldn't understand' and then zooming off while we were all level whatever in Duskwood.

I remember when the Honour Kills patch first landed and participating in an epic PVP raid consisting of, not even exaggeration, four complete raids of players (160 total) storming the Orgrimmar gates all mounted. It was like that scene in Return of the King.

The best times in MMOs happen when things are new. If I ever get in on another MMO (which it looks like I will with The Old Republic), I'll be there day one, fucking hour one. Server lag, queues, not knowing where to go and all. Because though that technical shit the magic of those worlds comes alive. There's no online guides telling you exactly where to go, what to kill, where to turn it in, what loot drops with what percentage chance to five decimal places. Just a sprawling, open world to explore.

The more that was added to WoW, the more technical and 'gamey' it became, the less I held interest. I quit WoW right as we were about to open the AQ gates. That's literally where my forum name comes from, because I was Scarab Lord Scarab on my server. Going through that tedious, server wide grind and being the focal point of all that work soured the entire experience for me.

The_Scarab on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like the perspective of this comic. It's a simple couch comic done differently and it looks good.

It does mix things up a bit. It used to be every couch comic had it facing either to the left of the panel or directly on. Lately it's been facing the right more often, and showing more of the floor and the doorway is useful too.

So that it doesn't become stale

I'd give this post 5 stars if I could.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ooooh my gooosh.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I remember the first person on the server to get a mount, after like a week of the game being live. Fucker was a king.

I also remember someone being really snarky about doing Scarlet Monastery. They were all 'would love to chat, but I gotta go do SM. Don't worry, it's too hard for you people, you wouldn't understand' and then zooming off while we were all level whatever in Duskwood.

I remember when the Honour Kills patch first landed and participating in an epic PVP raid consisting of, not even exaggeration, four complete raids of players (160 total) storming the Orgrimmar gates all mounted. It was like that scene in Return of the King.

The best times in MMOs happen when things are new. If I ever get in on another MMO (which it looks like I will with The Old Republic), I'll be there day one, fucking hour one. Server lag, queues, not knowing where to go and all. Because though that technical shit the magic of those worlds comes alive. There's no online guides telling you exactly where to go, what to kill, where to turn it in, what loot drops with what percentage chance to five decimal places. Just a sprawling, open world to explore.

The more that was added to WoW, the more technical and 'gamey' it became, the less I held interest. I quit WoW right as we were about to open the AQ gates. That's literally where my forum name comes from, because I was Scarab Lord Scarab on my server. Going through that tedious, server wide grind and being the focal point of all that work soured the entire experience for me.

Holy fuck! You were a Scarab Lord? You poor, poor bastard!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png