As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flashpoint : Age of Zoompocalypse

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    Captain Thunder!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seriously, S.H.A.Z.A.M. was totally boss.

I think the reason there isn't a mini for them is because Spencer was supposed to write it but then he jumped ship

It's a group of teen heroes and plays off of his T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents is what I am basing this off of.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked Flashpoint #1 a lot more than Fear Itself #1. The Barry stuff was probably the weakest stuff in the story, but the heroes in this world I dig, and come across a lot more likable in one issue than some heroes do in 10. The heroes are almost stunted, in Arrested Development because of a lack of a JSA or leadership that Superman would have provided, for instance. Like has been said above, Captain Thunder is pretty cool, and the Secret Seven (or the two we see) seem interesting too.

The art was good, but I really don't know how this Andy Kubert art looks any different than his Captain America/Thor stuff, and that the series can't really suffer any delays on his part. It's only 5 issues, so it would be nice if any Kubert not named Joe could get them done on time in the past 12 years.

I can see this series going down two paths, one very dark because this is Johns, but I see inklings of an optimistic end to the series that I hope becomes the reality as we continue on.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Johns has said it is really dark

so

it is probably the first one

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    remember how Barry said that he felt responsible for his mom's death?
    Zoom's going to make Barry kill his own mom by reverting the universe. Doesn't get darker than matricide.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The choice to change everything back will fall to Thomas. Who will decide that Barry's time line, where Bruce is alive, is the one worth existing

Algertman on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    The choice to change everything back will fall to Thomas. Who will decide that Barry's time line, where Bruce is alive, is the one worth existing

Johns really needs a new schtick.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know what tie-ins I should put on my pull list, and which ones I should just wait for reviews and general opinion to come out. Damn it DC, I dont have money to throw around at wannabe Elseworlds!

Dessart on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm grabbing Lois Lane and the Resistance, Batman Knight of Vengeance and Emperor Aquaman.

I'm also getting the Cantebury Cricket and Grodd of War one-shots.

Maybe Green Arrow Industries.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking Batman, Citizen Cold, and the related Booster Gold issues. Maybe Project Superman?

Dessart on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

Johns really needs a new schtick.

I don't get it

Algertman on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right now my list looks like:

Definitely:
    Flashpoint: Secret Seven
    Flashpoint: Project Superman

Maybe:
    Flashpoint: Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown
    Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengence
    Flashpoint: Lois Lane and the Resistance

Sure, Whatever:
    Flashpoint: The Canterbury Cricket

MastaP on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll be getting both the Wonder Woman and Aquaman minis for sure. It seems like those will be fairly essential if you want to know anything at all about what happened in Europe. I mean, sure, they talk about it in Flashpoint #1, but I wanted to actually see what went down.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    From the DC Blog
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of its impact on the DC Universe, FLASHPOINT #5 is the only title that DC Comics is currently soliciting to arrive in stores on August 31.

Interesting and I bet the Aquaman ongoing covers the fallout of it.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That

Is an interesting marketing stunt

Oh god I really hope we don't get an Aquaman who is distraught because the 100 Million people Flashpoint Aquaman murdered stay dead after the event.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Aquaman stuff was so strong in both Blackest Night and Brightest Day.

Mera, Aquaman, Jackson, and all of that was really quite compelling in both of those stories. If they can retain that magic when the ongoing starts, it should be fine.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Aquaman is pretty much my favorite DC character so I am happy he is getting a lot of attention.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Have they announced the creative team yet for the Aquaman ongoing? I'd be happy with Johns or Tomasi or Bedard. The whole Green Lantern team has been killing it and I'd put my faith any one of them for successfully launching a new ongoing for a character who has been mocked and ridiculed as much as Aquaman has.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Its Johns and Reis.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    next year's event is gonna be an aquaman event

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Then we get the Big 7 JLA with Johns

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ohh Johns and Reis. I like that.

Finch's cover with Aquaman on it in Brightest day... you know the one I'm talking about, was fantastic. Easily my favorite cover in the whole series, and among my favorite covers in general.
    brightestdayaquaman-1cfc9c.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i don't like the cover

I like the idea but I don't like finch's style on it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, its a neat concept but I do not like Finch at all.

I like the slight redesign the costume had, the high collar and new gloves look great.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Personally I like that cover a lot

Solar on
  • Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm guessing that Cyborg from Flashpoint carries over to the DCU proper along with a few other characters.

RedDelicious on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Cyborg definitely is. I bet Canterbury Cricket will too.

My wild card bet is Captain Thunder, but that's mostly because I want him to.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm guessing that Cyborg from Flashpoint carries over to the DCU proper along with a few other characters.

Yeah, it would be cool to see him take a bit bigger role. I've always felt like he doesn't get enough credit.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With the big push DC's been making lately to have Hal Jordan be the most recognizable Green Lantern, John Stewart has barely been getting any face time whatsoever which means that they have no real A-list black characters right now. This set up with Cyborg has been a long time coming (he's even in the trailer for the DCU MMO with people like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman when no other B or C listers are), and if there is a JLA reboot I would totally expect him to be a member.

RedDelicious on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, if they go with another big 7 JLA, it'd be cool if the 8th member wasn't just another white dude.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    God I really hope Captain Thunder and the S.H.A.Z.A.M. Kids make the transition to the DCU. As much as I like Billy, Freddy and Mary they have become stagnant. Billy has been a little kid forever while dudes like Jason Todd, Dick Grayson, the entire Titans roster and others have grown up around him. They tried to switch it up by having Billy become Shazam and Freddy Captain Marvel but no one really ran with the concept and it has gone nowhere.

Having a team of kids, each possessing a different power of Marvel's, creates an interesting contemporary ensemble cast and the fact that they all combine to form Thunder is pretty neat. It would be a team book where the team is one guy, almost.

Also Tawny being Battle Cat is awesome

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blank, I am going to smack the taste out of your mouth.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh shush

I love Billy and Mary and they are still a part of Captain Thunder.

I'd rather have a brand new take on the concept by someone like Sterling Gates than another failed attempt to recapture the Power of SHAZAM run

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That Shazam series where Freddy went around getting the powers was OK.

Actually thinking about it, it was pretty lame. Bad art plus the attempt to make Freddy all badass did not work at all. That tattoo? Ergh.

But it was a good idea.

Captain Marvel could totally work if someone good at writing actually said "OK this is what is going on right now with this dude no takebacks."

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think Captain Marvel has gotten stale, but I think there are better ways to revamp the concept than turning him into Team America.

I actually wrote a pitch for Captain Marvel in the Creator thread a few years ago, designed to change Captain Marvel into Captain Thunder, Captain Marvel Jr. into Captain Marvel, and Fawcett City into a small town filled with mythological refugees, with the whole thing being an examination of what it means to be a "grown up." Looking back on it, it wasn't great, but I think there were some good ideas in there.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't hate that pitch, but it isn't gonna happen. If anyone becomes a sherrif to mythological characters it would be Wonder Woman.

And it isn't the same as those motorcycle dudes. From what we know in Flashpoint 1, each kid has their own superpower. Bily has the Courage of Achilles, Freddy has the Power of Zeus and this Eugene kid has the Wisdom of Solomon. Presumably the other 3 kids have the other powers of Speed, Strength and Stamina. I think that alone would be a neat team book, because aside from Billy and Mary these kids had never met each other before their subway car was taken by the Wizard. The tension from that as well as the dual leadership of Billy and Eugene would be perfect for a teen book.

Throw in Tawny with his Cringer/Battle Cat role and Captain Thunder as their panic button and I think you have a solid series, or at least a mini.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My feeling is that, when you get away from the idea of a kid that gets to turn into an adult through magic, you lose the high-concept that makes Captain Marvel compelling. Without that basic wish-fulfillment element, Captain Marvel's just a magical Superman knockoff.

I'm not reading Flashpoint, so how does Captain Thunder work? Does one mind get to drive the body, or do the kids take turns? Or is he a separate Captain Planet-esque entity, with his own personality?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think it is a separate identity because they say stuff like "let's ask Captain Thunder!" "OK!"

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah he is a separate entity from what we can see. He refers to himself as a singular person and the kids ask for his advice.

For all we know they could all be voices in his head ala Firestorm though.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here is the transformation:

first page

second page

I like it, and if we can't have just a happy Captain Marvel and Billy ala Superman Beyond, this is at least trying to do something with the character, and more importantly it doesn't feel like a rape or murder is coming, outside of a WW beatdown.

TexiKen on