As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best PC RPGs?

anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it.Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
So I have a lot of time off starting this weekend and a couple weeks after now that the semester is over and work doesn't start until June so I'm looking for a good game, preferably a RPG to last me awhile. I'm looking at gog and steam, but can't really decide since I don't know a lot about PC RPGs. I have Fallout 1 already, and I've started new games multiple times but always end up dying in the first few minutes, realize I forgot to save in the rat cave, get pissed, and quit. Sometimes I've even died in that cave, so maybe some tips on how to not suck would help me with that and I'd enjoy the game more. I'm also cheap and still rocking the P4 so something like Dragon Age 2 is out of the question. I also don't like games like Morrowind or any other game that hardly gives you any indication or where to go or what to do next. I don't exactly need an arrow pointing the way, but I'd like a little help.

Anyway, please recommend away and help me waste many hours in front of my computer playing an awesome RPG.

Steam: offday
anoffday on

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mass effect 1 should be right up your alley, although you have to live with your RPG being a semi shooter as well.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Would I be able to run that?

anoffday on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Get Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

They're great.

Also, in terms of freeware there are some good stuff

Barkley's Shut and and Jam: Gaiden(The best thing)

Last Scenario and Exit Fate are two really good ones made by this one guy, as well.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dragon Age Origins.
    Honestly perhaps the best PC RPG of the last 10 years.
    Though I suggest ignoring DAII.... it's oddly a contender for worst RPG of all time.

Also tips on how not to suck at rpgs-

1. PLANNING!
    RPG's are all about building a character. If you take the time to plan ahead and think about how you're going to build before you get there you're going to be much better off than if you hadn't.

2. Learn to Min/Max
    This is also part of one, but it's a bit more complex. Min/Maxing is basically minimizing the stats and abilities which don't directly boost your play style or character. For games like fallout this means maxing out skills that you use all the time and ignoring the ones you don't. Also, it means boosting the stats that help that skill the most. Figure out what does what and what you like to do and then focus on those sections exclusively.
    In traditional RPG's this means diminishing the stats a certain character doesn't need to gain more points to spend on those they do (like BG where you have a warrior with 8 intell but 20 strength)
    If done properly your characters will be stronger at what you want them to do while also weak in what you never do.
    Be careful to focus on stats that actually give a bonus to your character. And example is that a friend of mine was putting tons of points into intelligence for a rogue he was playing. I noticed this and asked him why he was doing this. His logic was that intelligence would be required for the many things the rogue would be doing. However, when I showed him the bonuses that intelligence actually gave he was shocked to see it only really affected wizards. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU NEED AND NOT WHAT YOU DON'T

3. Learn how to use the "holy trinity" and then experiment with deviations.
    For most non-single player RPG's the trinity is: TANK/DPS/THIEf/HEALER or MAGE. Experiment off of this trinity to learn what parties you like best. This can become anything from all dps / 1 healer groups to mage tanks to even the infamous all white mage party from Final Fantasy 1 (still shocking to anyone who sees it for the first time).

4. Research like crazy
    You would be amazed at the detailed guides out there for every game on everything from how to make a competent group to where to find the gear you need to succeed. They are almost always free and can make all the difference when it comes to making a powerful party.
    However, remember that RPG's more than any other genre are open to interpretation and multiple solutions. So don't consider these guides to be a road map. Instead think of them as part of your work on understanding the mechanics of the game as a whole.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Planescape: Torment is pretty widely regarded as being one of the best RPG's of its time. Awesome story and characters.

Play a high Int / Wis character (so probably a mage). Just a suggestion since those stats govern dialogue choices IIRC.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not sure what a p4 means, best bet would be googling that or checking it out somehow. It might actually be a problem, so the above suggestion is even better.

If you can run fallout Baldurs Gate 1/2 are really really really good, and you should be able to run them as well.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pentium 4...

Damn, is my computer that old?

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Pentium 4...

That's, wow yeah that's pretty ancient.

But you should in theory still be OK with the Infinity Engine games, even the GOG re-releases.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's pretty much just me who don't really use computer jargong a lot more like it. A quick google says ME is dependent on the rest of the computer, BG or Planescape are both better alternatives in that case. Both are amazing games.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kotor 1 for story kotor 2 for gameplay (just ignore any text that pops up, it wont get resolved at the end anyways)

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Right now I'm looking at some sales on gog for Arcanum and Witcher, although I'm not sure how well the last one will run.

How are those?

anoffday on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Pentium 4...

But you should in theory still be OK with the Infinity Engine games, even the GOG re-releases.

should in theory

wow

youngins

yes, the infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate I and II will run on a P4 just fine and dandy

to the op: buy both BG1 and BG2 off of GOG and install EasyTutu to make your life miles easier

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Pentium 4...

should in theory

wow

youngins

yes, the infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate I and II will run on a P4 just fine and dandy

to the op: buy both BG1 and BG2 off of GOG and install EasyTutu to make your life miles easier

I say "in theory" because I have no idea whether GOG's reworking of the games to work on new systems might have upped the system requirements some as a result.

Personally, I remember playing PS:T on a 200 MHz processor. Ah those were the days...

EDIT: Arcanum is a love-it or hate-it kind of game. Personally I hated it, but that might be down to the fact that I wanted to play as a Dwarf technologist (with a top hat), and apparently the game's heavily skewed towards magic despite giving you that option.

I don't think the Witcher is likely to run for you.

subedii on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right now I'm looking at some sales on gog for Arcanum and Witcher, although I'm not sure how well the last one will run.

How are those?

I loved Arcanum, but yeah, I wouldn't even bother trying to run The Witcher.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    kotor 1 for story kotor 2 for gameplay (just ignore any text that pops up, it wont get resolved at the end anyways)

I'm playing through KOTOR 1 right now, and it's fantastic. Highly recommend.

After that, I'm planning of tackling Deus Ex for the first time.

I'm running on an Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz single-core, Radeon x1550, and 1GB of ram (I'm guessing we're pretty similar in regards to specs).

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »

I'm running on an Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz single-core, Radeon x1550, and 1GB of ram (I'm guessing we're pretty similar in regards to specs).

The thing that always amazed me about KOTOR is how much whiny vagina they could shove into a single character.

Side note: KOTOR was bioware's first attempt at an awkward sex scene right?

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Ha. Yeah, we are.

I've never thought to give KOTOR a chance only because I've never really been into Star Wars.

anoffday on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Planescape: Torment is the best RPG ever made.

Yeah, I'd find it hard to argue otherwise.

Anyway, good RPG's?

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
    akeso wrote: »

The thing that always amazed me about KOTOR is how much whiny vagina they could shove into a single character.

Side note: KOTOR was bioware's first attempt at an awkward sex scene right?

I think KOTOR does a "kiss". Bastila will kiss the PC as a metaphor for sex. Then they do the "Jedi shall know no love" cop-out to get out of having to portray actual human behavior. With the technology, it's hard to blame them.

Mass Effect was the first attempt at the sex scene as far as I know.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KOTOR is good mainly because it is decidedly not Star Wars. Well, in a weird way where it eschews the rehashed characters from the movies, but keeps the themes and ambience of the Star Wars universe.

It was a masterstroke decision really. Superb game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd stopped halfway through Planescape Torment and watched a Lets Play instead. The guy playing showed all the dialogue options so I didn't really miss out on anything. :)

Anyways, Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Baal and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer should be high to top priority. Skip the NWN2 vanilla campaign if you want to, it's really not all that great.

e: well, aside from the fact that NWN2 very likely won't run on your PC.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    NWN2 won't run on his system. NWN1 will.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    KOTOR is good mainly because it is decidedly not Star Wars. Well, in a weird way where it eschews the rehashed characters from the movies, but keeps the themes and ambience of the Star Wars universe.

It was a masterstroke decision really. Superb game.

KOTOR the First is very definitely a Star Wars game. There's good, there's evil, and very few shades of grey. The characters (that get development at least) are pretty archetypical and there's a lot of Big Damn Hero action on interesting setpieces. "Why is this better Star Wars than the prequels?" was a common question asked when it came out.

KOTOR II is decidedly not Star Wars, since it was a bigass deconstruction from the word "go."

But as for the topic at hand, the Baldur's Gates, Planescape, Icewind Dale (the first, IWD2 will probably not run well on your god damn why are you still using a Pentium 4?), both KOTORs, and I think Jade Empire can run okay on that as well.

For general Fallout help if you feel like taking another stab at it, ask in the Fallout thread. If you don't mind a bit of older-school-ness, try Wizardry 8. I think it generally tells you where to go and what to do, as long as you pay attention. You've gotta grind a bit though.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KoTOR II is best experienced through the amazing Let's Play in the Let's Play archive or downloading the restoration mod if you get it.

Jade Empire could work. Steam has a ton of older RPG gems on it if you care to sort through its massive catalouge.

Z0re on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really, really like the witcher. It's slow to get into. Really, really slow, with some big speedbumps. But it does grow on you, and then you realise that it is one of the best pc rpgs.

It's also good if you like rythmic games, rather than clickfests. I always found the combat to be nicely relaxing, especially with an upgraded group style.

And you can get it super cheap.

Edit: oh wait. I missed the part about the really old computers. Well, if you ever do get a decent computer, it's well worth it.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KOTOR for sure.

It's one of my most favorite games of all time.

Just a great story and a great game engine.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Most of the RPGs on Good Ole Games should run on your system, outside of the Witcher. I'd recommend just browsing and reading the comments to see something that interests you.

Gamersgate has a huge library too, with a lot of older RPGs, including some interesting obscure stuff that people have never heard of. Deus Ex would be a good place to start with there. It's the best RPG ever, not Planescape - by a hair.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ha. Yeah, we are.

I've never thought to give KOTOR a chance only because I've never really been into Star Wars.

I'm nothing more than a casual Star Wars fan. Don't let the source material scare you away. The voice acting (especially for the period) is absolutely brilliant.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seems like I'm recommending this game in every thread this week. :?

Divine Divinity

Think Diablo + Baldur's Gate. It's open world, has a very good story, lots of humour, a huge open world, Diablo-esque hack-and-slash gameplay with completely open skill trees, and an excellent sound-track. Plus it's at least 50 hours long.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pentium 4...

Single cores went out of style..geez uhh...6-7 years ago?

But yeah, should be fine with the majority of gog.com's infinity engine games, and you will NOT be disappointed with them at all.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you like action RPGs, Diablo 2, sacred, etc

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Black Isle Studios was basically Midas for PC games they made Fallout and Planescape and published Balduer's Gate for a little company called Bioware who has been making the best RPGs since Black Isle closed down in 2003. Since the P4 came out in late 2000 so your PC should be able to run anything those 2 made up to the mid 2000's. That is already hundreds of hours in game time add in Deus Ex and you should be good for a long time.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope you don't mind me asking this here, but any of the games on GoG have a problem running on a laptop bought within the last several months? It wasn't built for gaming, just general use.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't believe it took till the 2nd page for deus ex to be recomended

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope you don't mind me asking this here, but any of the games on GoG have a problem running on a laptop bought within the last several months? It wasn't built for gaming, just general use.

Off the top of my head, you won't be able to run The Witcher. But that's a new game compared to their regular catalog, and it's only on there because the guys who run GOG are the same who made it, if I recall.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bloodlines is the best PC RPG ever made, so that's my vote.

Torment has good writing, but is nigh unplayable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I can't believe it took till the 2nd page for deus ex to be recomended

System Shock 2 if we're going with that vein.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Planescape Torment has the best writing in a video game. BG2 is a huge classic as well. I'd say fuck the rest of 'em, they pale so much in comparison.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Get Torchlight. It even has a netbook mode.

And it's better than Diablo 2. Yes I went there.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Baldur's Gate II

Planescape: Torment

Vampire: Bloodlines

Play those three first.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No. Get Baldur's Gate Tutu and play that first, then play BG2 straight after with a continuous save. There's literally no reason not to. BG1 is every bit as good as BG2 when you have the updated engine.

The_Scarab on