As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ACROPHOBIA - And the winner is...DARRIC!

TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses.But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
Welcome to Acrophobia.

For those of you not familiar with Acrophobia, you can check out the Wikipedia page, but long story short it was originally an IRC game based on the creation of backronyms for random letter strings. I am here to conduct a forum version of it, which I'v played on some other forum, and now want to carry it on. Along with the modified OP.

HOW TO PLAY
Acrophobia is a very simple. It is composed of 5 rounds of play, each with two phases. During the first phase, I will announce a set of 3-7 random letters. You then have to create a backronym for those letters, and PM it to me. I cannot stress that enough. PM. IT. TO. ME. Do not post it into the thread. Any backronyms (hereby referred to as "acros") posted in the thread will not be counted, even if you PM it afterwards. The reason for this is to try to prevent any sort of bias towards or away from certain players. (ie, if the person with the most points accidentally posts instead of PMs, then during the voting phase, some players will deliberately not vote for them because they're in the lead)

After the creation phase is the voting phase. I will post everyone's acros (without the creators' names, of course) and everyone will PM me their vote on the best one. After the voting period has ended, I will post who wrote what, and tally up the points as follows:

- Each vote gives you 1 point.
- Whoever got the most votes earns a number of bonus points equal to the number of letters in the acronym. (ie, if the acronym is FKWT, then they would earn 4 points)
- Each person who voted for the number 1 earns a bonus point. (This is subject to change if the majority of the players reject this idea)
- If you make an acro, but then don't vote, you forfeit any points you would have earned that round. Obviously, you cannot vote for your own acro.

Once the votes are tallied, I'll post another acronym, and we begin the next round.

Any questions/suggestions, just post in this thread. I'll be giving about 24-48 hours for each phase.

Additional notes:
- You do not have to announce ahead of time that you're playing. You can join or leave the game at any time. If we're on round 6, you can post an acro. You don't have to make an acro to vote, but if you DO make an acro, you MUST vote or else you forfeit your points for the round.
- At the end of each phase, I will edit the post below with all the information you need to play the current phase. During creation, I will have the acronym posted. During voting, I'll post all the acros. This will be in addition to the post I'll add to this thread to help bump it.
- You can only make 1 acro per round. If you send me a new acro after you already sent one, your new acro will replace whatever you already came up with.
- IM talk is forbidden, as is deliberate misspellings of words to make them fit the acronym. If the acronym is "URAC" then "U R A Cheater" is disqualified. However, common abbreviations for things ARE permitted. For example, if the acronym contains a W, then you could use "WoW" to make an acro that refers to World of Warcraft. However, you may NOT split up the abbreviation to fit the acronym. So if the acronym contains "WW" then you cannot use "Wo W" or "Worldof Warcraft"
- One word per letter. Contractions (ie, you're, we're, etc.) are fine.
- Punctuation is permitted. If the acro is long enough, multiple sentences are permitted, as long as the first letter of each word still fits. If the acronym is "AFM" then "Ahh....Fresh meat!" is permitted.
- I will accept anything, but keep in mind that other people are voting, and that their opinions matter. If you attempt to submit something like the "Wo W" example above, don't expect any votes.

Really important note: All PMs to me must have the submission or the vote in the Title of the PM. This will save me the trouble of having to open all of them.

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Do you miss playing or have never played real-time Acrophobia? Well, mully's got something special for ya!
mully wrote: »
www.acrochallenge.com

i just downloaded this
after that, you sign up through the little program
seems to be about the same thing

e: yep i just played a round - pretty much exactly the same - 60 seconds to play, 30 seconds to vote, themed. SUPER FUN.

maybe it could be added to the OP?

b1ehrMM.gif
TrippyJing on

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Current Acronym: KIEJFWA

Round 1 - KUC
    Round 1 Results - Link

Reginald, MNice got points, but they didn't vote, so they lose those points. Let this be a warning to the rest of you!

#pipe gets 3 extra points for winning the 3-letter round.

Peen, Rikushix, Darris, and facetious get an extra point each for voting for the winner.

*all bonuses and penalties are counted on the scoreboard, not on the individual round sheets

Round 2 - USFT
    Round 2 Results - Link

John Zoidberg gets 4 extra points for winning the 4-letter round.

facetious, Larlar, #pipe, Darric, Aneurhythmia, and TDOT get an extra point each for voting for the winner.

*all bonuses and penalties are counted on the scoreboard, not on the individual round sheets

Round 3 - BNGRH
    Round 3 Results - Link

Skittlebrau gets 5 extra points for winning the 5-letter round.

#pipe, moleface, Rikushix, and Hunter get an extra point each for voting for the winner.

Round 4 - LAESHW
    Round 4 Results - Link

Daric gets 6 extra points for winning the 5-letter round.

Larlar, Skittlebrau, Aneurhythmia, Captain K, The Geek, John Zoidberg, Rikushix, and Raijin Quickfoot get an extra point each for voting for the winner.

Round 5 - KIEJFWA
    Round 5 Results - Link

facetious gets 7 extra points for winning the 7-letter round.

Skittlebrau, moleface, John Zoidberg, and Peen get an extra point each for voting for the winner.

Captain K gets no points for not voting.

Scoreboard - Link

And the winner is...Darric, with a total of 24 points! Larlar and facetious both slide into second place with 16 points each.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This sounds pretty ok.

Peen on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    wait i dont get this at all

Kusuguttai on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Let's play

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    I am looking forward to failing miserably at this.

Question that is not really a question: I'm assuming prepositions and articles can't be thrown in, and have to use up a distinct letter given to us (e.g.: if we're presented with WW, we can't turn that into World of Warcraft; we would have to have been given WOW).

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Let's do this. Sounds like fun.

Reginald on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Used to play this on EFnet. I'm down.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I might participate. Depends on when the letters go up.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    post the acro already so I can relive the glory days

Captain K on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I would like Larlar's question to be answered.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited May 2011
    If we're playing it the way the old Acrophobia worked, yeah, you have to have an actual letter to use a word for it, regardless of its part of speech.

Captain K on
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The first acronym is: QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQBBQ
    This is not the first actual acronym

Reginald on
  • Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This sounds pretty fun, I may try to jump in on this

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Larlar wrote: »
    I am looking forward to failing miserably at this.

Question that is not really a question: I'm assuming prepositions and articles can't be thrown in, and have to use up a distinct letter given to us (e.g.: if we're presented with WW, we can't turn that into World of Warcraft; we would have to have been given WOW).

TrippyJing wrote: »
    However, common abbreviations for things ARE permitted. For example, if the acronym contains a W, then you could use "WoW" to make an acro that refers to World of Warcraft. However, you may NOT split up the abbreviation to fit the acronym. So if the acronym contains "WW" then you cannot use "Wo W" or "Worldof Warcraft"

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This sounds fun, count me in.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am awful at spelling but why the hell not. Every game needs a guy to be the first eliminated.

Bucketman on
    edited May 2011
    Okay, your first acronym is...

KUC

Submission phase ends at midnight EST on May 14th.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited May 2011
    IT HAS BEGUN

Captain K on
    edited May 2011
    whoa that's a long submission phase! i mean, it's a phrase, not a painting.

Reginald on
    edited May 2011
    Gotsta get those participants.

Also, server busy message, I'm not on allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time, etc.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited May 2011
    The version of the game I originally fell in love with, something like 14 years ago, was the ad-supported one with its own client. Each phase lasted about a minute and a half, so you had to be really quick. Doing this game on a forum, with people popping in and out according to their schedules, with an actual human handling all the behind-the-scenes stuff... it makes more sense to allow a long while for each phase.

As much as I wish I could snap my fingers and have the original version I played just come back to life, it's not gonna happen. Eventually that version dropped the 6 and 7 letter rounds, too, which sucked balls.

Captain K on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Isn't there supposed to be a category or something for the acronym, so it's not a random mess and the voting is done on relevance to a theme?

Hunter on
    edited May 2011
    Now that you mention it, categories were part of the original client-based game, yeah. IIRC there were also rooms where you had no categories at all, and there were several rooms that used "couch rules", where the winner of the previous round just came up with the category for the next round and chatted it to the other players.

Captain K on
    edited May 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Isn't there supposed to be a category or something for the acronym, so it's not a random mess and the voting is done on relevance to a theme?

That's a variation, and one which I'm not going to try just yet. Gonna see how this first game goes first.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I look forward to reading all the entries that are better than mine.

Stew_Stick on
    edited May 2011
    Hmmmmm...six submissions so far. Not bad, not bad.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited May 2011
    I've got a few ideas...I'm dancing them around in my head right now.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited May 2011
    36 hours left to submit, I'm not in a hurry to settle on anything yet

Captain K on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are these supposed to be believable or funny, or does asking that question mean that there is no way in hell I'm going to win?

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited May 2011
    it's a please-the-audience game

submit what you think will get the most votes from the people playing the game/reading the thread

Captain K on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kansas Under Crows

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And you already lose. Congratulations.

Peen on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Question: What happens if two people submit the same thing?

Bedlam on
    edited May 2011
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Question: What happens if two people submit the same thing?

THUNDERDOME!

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited May 2011
    in the client-based version that situation usually regulated itself--if two people submitted the same thing and it wasn't really competing to be the best submission, usually neither of them got any votes. If two people submitted the same thing, and it was the best submission, whichever one was formatted the best usually won. (punctuation, spelling, capitalization, etc)

Captain K on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Knife Umbrella Cover

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, man... 36 hours is gonna yield a ton of entries. This should be good.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
    edited May 2011
    posting a bunch of crummy ones right here in the thread

are you just trolling this game now

Captain K on
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Knife Umbrella Cover
    Kansas Under Crows

RTFM
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I cannot stress that enough. PM. IT. TO. ME. Do not post it into the thread. Any backronyms (hereby referred to as "acros") posted in the thread will not be counted, even if you PM it afterwards.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif