As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Line games

Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in PAX Archive
It's my first year at Pax, and I was thinking of bringing a few card games to play while we're waiting in line for various things. Thought it might be fun to have something organized or the like. Any suggestions for good ones? I was thinking of bringing Munchkin for sure, maybe Gloom, always liked that one.

Anyone else know of any good games that can be easily picked up and cleared out when the line starts moving?

FTC: honk.
FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
Ghostly Clockwork on

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As for card games when I went last year I brought one of my Magic decks. I am pretty new and noobish to playing so it was nice to have others to play with outside my little circle from home who could help me and tell me more about what I could do to play better.

Other popular and easy line things to do include:
    Zombie Dice
    Pokemon Cards (or nearly any other card game)
    Gameboys
    Spontanious acts of silliness including but not limited to...beach balls, singing, and dancing to someone's music off an ipod or smart phone
    Donating to Child's Play as the Cookie Brigade passes out cookies to the hungry masses!!!

There are a ton of other things you could easily do in a line that can be picked up quickly to get moving.

Overall doing stuff in lines isn't really organized since there are so many of them and you never know who is going to be next to you.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yah, I suppose. More wondering what kinda stuff people bring in line. Heh, just rather excited about being at PAX for the first time :)

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was wondering which of these games would also translate into playing well on a plane ... say a flight to PAX Prime that lasts about 6 hours.

Ricin

Ricin on
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One card game that I have seen regularly the past few years is munchkins.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm bringing one of the incarnations of Flux that I have. love that game.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fluxx of any variety.

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you want a quick game for playing in lines that's fun as hell, never gets boring and portable and easy to learn, I can't stress zombie dice enough.

The_Reflection on
  • ReedtekReedtek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As a third year PAX'er I will second the Magic/Pokemon/Yug' card games as typically seen as line games. I had Zombie Dice and Cthulhu Dice on me as well, since they are quick and fun games. I haven't seen Munchkin played in line yet, but tons of Gameboy/DS action. Don't forget the age-old art of striking up a conversation as well, 99.99999% of all the people in whatever line you are in are approachable and easy to talk to. Also note, Zombie Dice can also be turned into an after-hours imbibing game ;)

Reedtek on
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Citadels is a great card game that works well for lines as long as you use something like dice to keep track of gold instead of all the little tokens that come with the game

DeliciousTacos on
  • emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I second Citadels and third Fluxx. I also think you could do 7 Wonders, but that might be stretching it. I could totally see 7 wonders on a plane though. Zombie dice was what I saw most of at last PAX Prime.

Anything is good if it can be played quickly (especially if you can stop it whenever) and doesn't require lots of supplies/start up time/space. Unfortunately, games like Dominion require lots of space for the communal card piles, plus lots of set up time for each game.

Traditional deck of cards games that fit the bill:
    Tien Len (Vietnamese card game): http://www.pagat.com/climbing/thirteen.html
    Gin Rummy: http://www.pagat.com/rummy/ginrummy.html
    Cribbage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage. You don't need the board, just a piece of paper or a smart phone.

At the end of the day, lots of people just whip out the game boy. If there was ever an opportunity to get a full 4 person band together for Rock Band DS, this is it.

emimonster on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd like to add Uno to the list of "traditional" games to play in line. I hadn't played non-XBLA Uno with anyone in so long until PAX,E when I played with a few people. This girl pulled them out while we were waiting in line for a panel and I was like "wow, I never thought of Uno." It was easy because everyone knows how to play and you can swipe up your cards very quick if you need to move up.

Also, if you pick up the waterproof Uno cards, you can spray them with Lysol or hand held anti-bacterial spray once you're done. I really liked the idea of this and the cards are only around $7-8 at your local Target.

We tried to play Gloom in line and found it a little more difficult. We seemed to have to keep moving every 5-10 minutes and it was hard for us to play.

Some variant of Fluxx, Zombie Dice, Cthulhu Dice and Uno will probably be my go-to's for Prime.

MTSonic11 on
    edited April 2011
    I have Catan (w seafare's expansion) on my IPod. Up to 4 people can play so I'll bring that.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've never been that accustomed to boardgames/dice games/etc., and when I looked at Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, I just had to buy them. $10 bucks FTW!

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cribbage is great (saw it mentioned above, too). We've got a small folding travel board, and there're some good phone-to-phone apps out there as well. At East, when we were playing it in line, some guy came over to us and asked incredulously, "Are you playing cribbage? That's awesome! Nobody plays that anymore!". Nerdy warm fuzzy moment... If you haven't played, definitely think about learning!

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cribbage is great (saw it mentioned above, too). We've got a small folding travel board, and there're some good phone-to-phone apps out there as well. At East, when we were playing it in line, some guy came over to us and asked incredulously, "Are you playing cribbage? That's awesome! Nobody plays that anymore!". Nerdy warm fuzzy moment... If you haven't played, definitely think about learning!

I was going to say that was me, because I made that exact same comment when I saw someone playing Cribbage in line at Prime last year, but I didn't go East.

Generally speaking, card games make good line games because they are easily movable as the line compresses and inches forward.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    savagehart wrote: »
    I have Catan (w seafare's expansion) on my IPod. Up to 4 people can play so I'll bring that.

o_O there is an iPod version of Catan? I'm going to have to go buy that. I love Catan. Can never seem to find anyone else that wants to learn it though.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
    edited April 2011
    PinkRanger wrote: »

o_O there is an iPod version of Catan? I'm going to have to go buy that. I love Catan. Can never seem to find anyone else that wants to learn it though.

Yup search for "Catan". I got it because no one in my town had even heard of it. I never got a chance to learn/play last year @ PAX (I did buy the game tho).

Hope you like it as much as I do.

savagehart on
    edited April 2011

Yup search for "Catan". I got it because no one in my town had even heard of it. I never got a chance to learn/play last year @ PAX (I did buy the game tho).

Hope you like it as much as I do.

I do love it. I have the board game. Also I believe it is an XBA game you can purchase. And you can play online at playcatan.com.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Perhaps I should build a new Magic deck. Of course, the last set I bought anything from was Lorwyn and my main deck is a Saproling deck, so yeah, totally not portable.

tardcore on
    edited April 2011
    I do love it. I have the board game. Also I believe it is an XBA game you can purchase. And you can play online at playcatan.com.

What I meant to say was I hope you like the Ipod app as much as I do. Unfortunately I don't have an X-box :(

I've done Catan online a couple of times.

savagehart on
  • sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    im hoping some people in line got yu-gi-oh

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you want a quick game for playing in lines that's fun as hell, never gets boring and portable and easy to learn, I can't stress zombie dice enough.

I had so much fun with zombie dice and cthulu dice waiting in line for the Sat. concert and Sun. panel last year.

I also have a portable settlers of catan game for the longer waits. And M:TG with the free cards we got in our loot bags was pretty cool.

Ellthiteren on
  • DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zombie Dice, Zombie Dice, Zombie Dice. I cannot stress this enough.....so one more time Zombie Dice.

I brought my set with last year, along with Cthulu Dice, we got an impromptu game of Zombie Dice going while waiting in line for the Keynote last year. I think at it's height, my group of 5 people played a massive game with 12 randoms who were standing around with us. It was epic, and a great way to meet new friends!

DO IT....DO IT NOW!!

Dannicus on
  • eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will be bringing my Zombie Dice with me since not everyone has a DS/PSP but anyone can roll a die.

eMDee on
    The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ZD is the nice easy line game..exactly what its made for (and not just saying this cause of my love for SJ :) )

Also we didn't playtest this at all/either by asmadi games..you can easily do games of it while waiting in line.

Solelron on
  • AuroraAurora Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd recommend games that don't have a bunch of little pieces to deal with. Gloom is a good one. Tichu is a great card game for four. Bohnanza is another great card game that's easy to get people into. None of those takes up a lot of space or requires fiddly bits. I'll second Fluxx and Zombie Dice as well.

On my old phone, I'd downloaded a geek-themed mad libs app, but I can't find the name of it now. It got a lot of laughs. Don't forget the value of standard decks of cards. Bull$#!t, Egyptian War, Speed, Rummy, and the usual old stand-bys can still be fun, too.

Aurora on
  • RamokkRamokk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone ever try to get Twilight Imperium set up on the longer lines? (just kidding :lol: )

I picked up Zombie and Cthuhlu Dice and Zombie Fluux. Hopefully I'll encounter some new games that I haven't heard of before from other people in line.

Ramokk on
  • thekrunchyonethekrunchyone Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    I would actually like to learn how to play cribbage... and euchre... :P Sometimes lowtech forms of amusement can be way more fun than their high tech counterparts.

thekrunchyone on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would actually like to learn how to play cribbage... and euchre... :P Sometimes lowtech forms of amusement can be way more fun than their high tech counterparts.

I know jack about Cribbage.

Euchre however I love. If that becomes the pax standard card deck game, I think I'll be in heaven!

tsrblke on
  • Game Show ManGame Show Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How about Three-Dragon Ante? I have both the original 3E branded game and the newer Emperor's Gambit. I still remember seeing Rob Heinsoo demo the game at the last GenCon So-Cal. Would never have picked it up if I hadn't seen it played.

Game Show Man on
    "Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    captvangin@aol.com
    www.facebook.com/GameShowMan

"Go get my space-battlecruiser. I wanna go blow some shizznit up."
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll be bringing Zombie Dice as well as my DS, PSP, Ipod and maybe some ye olde Magic cards.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Kilo147Kilo147 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never go to a PAX without my Star Trek CCG (1e), POGs, or my Game Boy Pocket. If anyone's got a Pocket and the link cable we can get some hot multiplayer action on!

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking of bringing some of my Doomtown sets, but that definitely not a line game, heh, you need lots of space :-D

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited May 2011
    Also, anyone remember the old Sim City Card Game?

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
    edited May 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »

I know jack about Cribbage.

Euchre however I love. If that becomes the pax standard card deck game, I think I'll be in heaven!

If either of you want to play, let me know. I LOVE euchre, but can never really find anyone to play it.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am always down for a Game of Euchre. It is however, my first pax, so I'll be wandering around lost with my wife. I hear someone say use the terms trump and "left and/or right bower" in the same sentence, I'll be on the look out!

tsrblke on
  • XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kilo147 wrote: »
    ...or my Game Boy Pocket. If anyone's got a Pocket and the link cable we can get some hot multiplayer action on!

Where were people like you at Pax East this year? I walked around for three straight days with my Game Boy Color and a link cable in my pocket (along with a phone, a camera, a DS Lite, and assorted change--I had a very interesting configuration), but nobody wanted to play. What games do you have?

Xerlith on
    You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
    edited May 2011
    Xerlith wrote: »
    Kilo147 wrote: »
    ...or my Game Boy Pocket. If anyone's got a Pocket and the link cable we can get some hot multiplayer action on!

Where were people like you at Pax East this year? I walked around for three straight days with my Game Boy Color and a link cable in my pocket (along with a phone, a camera, a DS Lite, and assorted change--I had a very interesting configuration), but nobody wanted to play. What games do you have?

I may have fun toys, but there's no way I could make it to East. That, and I refuse to acknowledge the spin-off PAX. Prime or Nothing, baby.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • RedsfxcRedsfxc Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lunch Money is another card game that's fun and can be played quickly and repeatedly. It kind of reminds me of Munchkin in that you can screw people over constantly. It's even more fast paced than Munchkin too.
    Try it out!

Redsfxc on
    "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything"
  • colekicoleki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »
    I am always down for a Game of Euchre. It is however, my first pax, so I'll be wandering around lost with my wife. I hear someone say use the terms trump and "left and/or right bower" in the same sentence, I'll be on the look out!

Turn down the bower, lose for an hour!

coleki on