As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Shaman], Enhancing your PVPs like crazy

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think it's pretty clear what he meant.

JAEF on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mastery has always worked on Healing Rain.

Earth Shield, Earthliving and the HoT part of Riptide were unaffected.

Grobian on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So does anyone use that Ask Mr Robot site to check out optimal gear combinations for Resto Shamans? Because there's a neat bug right now, where it calculates the effective Spirit from trinket procs and counts it as permanent Spirit in regards to the cap it has set. So most people are *way* over Spirit cap and it tries to have them forge all of it off.

Very annoying.

Dranyth on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bumping because shamans are king. And also, I've started to pick up resto as my enhancement OS since my guild seems short healers often enough. I guess I have a couple of questions about it though. Are there any good add-ons I should have? I already have grid, and it's set up to monitor riptide and earth shield and whether some jerk is cursed or magic'd. I also have my heals set up with mouseover macros and the odd spell in clique. Am I missing anything?

And the other thing, is Telluric Currents worth losing a point in Nature's Blessing and Acuity with no hit? I will mainly be healing the odd heroic or 10 man.

And lastly, I did some reading on EJ. Apparently Int > Haste to soft cap (915?) > spirit > ???? There didn't really seem to be any consensus over whether crit or mastery was better. Opinions?

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arkady wrote: »
    Bumping because shamans are king. And also, I've started to pick up resto as my enhancement OS since my guild seems short healers often enough. I guess I have a couple of questions about it though. Are there any good add-ons I should have? I already have grid, and it's set up to monitor riptide and earth shield and whether some jerk is cursed or magic'd. I also have my heals set up with mouseover macros and the odd spell in clique. Am I missing anything?

And the other thing, is Telluric Currents worth losing a point in Nature's Blessing and Acuity with no hit? I will mainly be healing the odd heroic or 10 man.

And lastly, I did some reading on EJ. Apparently Int > Haste to soft cap (915?) > spirit > ???? There didn't really seem to be any consensus over whether crit or mastery was better. Opinions?
    Telluric current isn't worth getting once your gear is decent. Healbot Continued is probably the best healing addon, with all heals bound to variations of mouse clicks it makes movement during fights much easier.

That stat tiering is correct. I go 1/3 crit 2/3 mastery because mastery is fucking amazing, but having assloads of spirit is key.

JAEF on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mastery is amazing? Since when? It started off pretty crappy and now since they're buffing the hell out of it it's probably acceptable.

Xeddicus on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mastery kind of sucked. Then they buffed the Hell out of it, so now it's decent-ish (I have +40% heals in crappy resto gear), with the potential to be really amazing in certain fights (like Chimaeron).

Now that they're buffing it to effect ALL heals. And that's even awesomer.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited March 2011
    People are arguing about haste vs crit vs mastery all the time. And they won't stop ever. Just take what works for you.

Grobian on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arkady wrote: »
    You might want ShieldsUp or something to help make your Water Shield buff (or more importantly, lack thereof) more front and center.

forty on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Needtoknow is good at tracking simple timers like tidal waves and your cooldowns, and I guess you could set it up to show water shield charges if you wanted.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, while I love resto healing, I'm finding myself not a huge fan of elemental dps.

Works fine while solo, but in groups I'm not doing so well. Single target is pretty simple, I guess my question is what tricks do you guys have for AoE fights? I really wish elem aoe damage didn't focus on a) running into melee to drop a damn totem and b) a channeled aoe with a huge mana cost.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

As a secondary question, anyone have any recommendations for enhancement? Will probably put together a gear set for it at some point.

Ender on
    edited March 2011
    Ender wrote: »
    Just wait a few weeks for 4.1 when elemental AoE will be a lot better.

forty on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, while I love resto healing, I'm finding myself not a huge fan of elemental dps.

Works fine while solo, but in groups I'm not doing so well. Single target is pretty simple, I guess my question is what tricks do you guys have for AoE fights? I really wish elem aoe damage didn't focus on a) running into melee to drop a damn totem and b) a channeled aoe with a huge mana cost.

As a secondary question, anyone have any recommendations for enhancement? Will probably put together a gear set for it at some point.

It depends on the situation, but generally current magma totem isn't worth it unless you're already where the adds are.

Make sure to never cast Earthquake without getting clearcasting. Usually I use chain lightning for this, since it restores a decent amount of mana if you have it glyphed and have a decent amount of mastery, and with it hitting 10+ times, it's likely to crit at least once. EJ suggests using lava burst for getting clearcasting, which is a great option if you still have a flame shock on the boss and are in range of it. Either way, clearcasting will drastically reduce quake's mana cost while also increasing its damage to almost respectable.

Do you mean AoE DPS in raids, or 5 mans?

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I was talking 5-mans. I'm not into raiding yet.

That being said, I was impressed when I hit 85, and already had 333 item level for both resto and enhance. Wheeeeeee heroics!

Incidentally, pugs in heroics are dumb.

Ender on
    edited March 2011
    If you're doing heroics, and at heroic gear levels, earthquake is a trap. A giant, mana-destroying trap. Just focus fire.

This will somewhat change next patch, though, since then you can quake while also doing your single-target, but just absolutely make sure to never cast it without clearcasting.

Kainy on
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I was talking 5-mans. I'm not into raiding yet.

That being said, I was impressed when I hit 85, and already had 333 item level for both resto and enhance. Wheeeeeee heroics!
    If you're looking at your character tab item level, that doesn't change based on your current equipment. It's based on the highest levels you can wear in each slot with all the gear in your bags or bank.

forty on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    While we are talking elemental, I had a couple of questions about glyph of flame shock.

1. How significant of a DPS gain is it? I'm assuming the main dps gain is from running a third earth shock in the shock sequence, so it basically comes down to the difference in an earth shock vs flame shock instant damage every 20 or 30 seconds, which doesn't seem like a huge amount.

2. Fulminate - if I'm reading this right, it's dps neutral to fulminate based on whenever earth shock is ready, provided I'm not hitting 9 charges (at which any additional charges accumulated is wasted). Is this right, or is there some mechanic I'm missing that encourages building up charge? Edit - or maybe it's just that 7 charges is the level at which it's a better use for a gcd than just casting a lightning bolt? I know I see that 7 number thrown around a lot.

Jealous Deva on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AFAIK, Earthshock is a DPS loss compared to the Lightning Bolt you could be casting unless you are at like 7+ charges.

shryke on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, you don't use shocks unless 1) flameshock needs to be refreshed or 2) earthshock has seven or more charges.

The flameshock glyph doesn't increase your dps very much at all. Lightning bolt, lava burst and flametongue are all better.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, you don't use shocks unless 1) flameshock needs to be refreshed or 2) earthshock has seven or more charges.

The flameshock glyph doesn't increase your dps very much at all. Lightning bolt, lava burst and flametongue are all better.

How is fire elemental glyph for dungeons/heroics? I can't see it really helping on boss fights, but dropping a FE every 3 or 4 pulls on trash seems like it would be very helpful.

Jealous Deva on
    edited March 2011
    I guess it'd probably be pretty useful for increasing your trash dps in five mans.

It might be better on boss fights long enough that the glyph lets you use the elemental twice, but that probably depends.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited April 2011
    So the new Fire Nova is like the 'old' Mind Sear- it doesn't hurt what your flame shock is on, but everything around it. Yay for the redesign, but that aspect seems a bit silly.

Xeddicus on
    edited April 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So the new Fire Nova is like the 'old' Mind Sear- it doesn't hurt what your flame shock is on, but everything around it. Yay for the redesign, but that aspect seems a bit silly.

It's done that way because if it wasn't, fire nova would work it's way into our single target rotation, once again making enhancement complicated. Which I think would be cool, but Blizzard does not.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I've had two expansions of enhancement being complicated.

Cata is like my retirement. Lemme relax and focus on calling out boss abilities. :(

Dac on
    edited April 2011
    Wait, so enhancement is "easy" now?

forty on
    edited April 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Wait, so enhancement is "easy" now?

Compared to wrath? Yes. Compared to other specs in cata? Not sure.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I've played some Fury, Frost DK, Unholy, Beast Mastery, Sub, and Combat in heroics. Enhancement is really the only guy that gets into raiding. Most of them are around the same level of difficulty, minus Sub, which is actually pretty involved, and Combat, which is balls easy.

Enhancement actually has some dead GCDs, which is welcome, and has a much simpler priority list.

1 - Is Lava Lash up? Hit that shit, regardless of anything else.

2 - Maelstrom Lightning Bolts. See the giant blue lightning proc indicator up above your character? If you can't hit Lava Lash, hit this.

3 - Keep Flame Shock on target. If Flame Shock is on, Earth Shock instead. Probably the only technical thing we need to worry about, but is derp easy considering we've been doing this for like three expansions now. It's second nature by this point.

4 - Unleash your goddamn weapon.

5 - Stormstrike. Not much to say about it other than its damage is balls but the debuff is sweet.

(I like to Unleash before re-apping FS if they're both off CD. Been a while since I've looked at EJ, though, so that might not be optimal.)

Apart from that, the only other thing you have to worry about is babysitting your cute searing totem and making sure it's doing its thing. The AI is relatively good on it now, though. I rarely need to redrop totems to force it to attack, and even when I do, it's not like it's expensive.

Enhancement also flat out does not run out of mana. If you go below 90%, it's because you're spamming Purge or something.

Dac on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, Shaman thread resurrection!

We've got some Resto changes in the works so far... a re-tool for Water Shield and a Mana Tide nerf.

Personally, I don't feel that the Mana Tide change is as much of a nerf in the long run--given our current Spirit levels, 400% would be insane after one or two more raid tiers.

I am concerned about having Water Shield regen procs tied to the randomness of Crit, and whether that will be our go-to gem/reforge in the months ahead. I rather like my mixed bag of Haste/Crit/Mastery, and would hate to see our little class that could pigeonholed into a particular area.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited May 2011
    For the people behind work filters:
    * Lightning Shield and Water Shield can no longer be dispelled.
    * Unleash Elements is now in the Nature school, and thus can no longer be used if a shaman's Nature school has been locked out.
    * Water Shield has had its internal cooldown reduced to 3.5 seconds, once again matching other shields. The amount of mana restored when Water Shield procs has been reduced by 50%.

Elemental

* Lava Flows now grants a 30/60/90% haste buff when a Flame Shock effect is dispelled, up from 10/20/30%.
    * Thunderstorm now reduces the movement speed of players it knocks back by 40% for 5 seconds.

Restoration

* Improved Water Shield has been redesigned and renamed Resurgence. When Water Shield is active, Resurgence causes critical direct heals to restore mana (Resurgence rank 2 is roughly equal to 150% of the old Improved Water Shield value when a Healing Wave or Greater Healing Wave critically hits, and scaled down accordingly for faster or multi-target spells).
    * Mana Tide now grants 200% of the caster's Spirit, down from 400%.

Glyphs

* Glyph of Unleashed Lightning (new Prime glyph) allows Lightning Bolt to be cast while moving.

Elemental seems to get some buffs, but someone else would have to say if this really changes anything.

IWS was always going by crit chance, so the only change there seems to be that the amount of mana is no longer tied to Water Shield. This makes sense, because they nerfed WS orbs. Also it looks like every crit will proc Resurgence which makes it more consistent.

Crit will definitely be huge for Resto Shaman. I mean, it's already quite good, due to IWS (then Resurgence) and AA, but we also get 100% healing crits with 4.2

WS orb nerf, Unleash nerf and Mana Tide nerf are probably aimed at PvP. I will definitely feel those.

Grobian on
    edited May 2011
    PvP buffs for elemental, but I'm sad to see no movement on our retarded new AoE. 4x as much work and mana cost for the same damage we used to be able to do! Yay!

Kainy on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You haven't got quite all the elemental changes in the most recent patch
    The 4-piece Elemental shaman PvP set bonus (Gladiator's Thunderfist set) has been redesigned. It now causes Lightning Shield to generate an extra charge, rather than consuming one, when it is triggered by receiving damage, up to a maximum of 3 (9 with the Rolling Thunder talent).

The glyph and that set bonus are pretty nice, in addition to the haste buff when flame shock is dispelled.

Mana tide; well it's in line with the Invenerate nerf druids have gotten. It's getting pretty close to the point that it might as well be a baseline shaman spell (I doubt it will be, because stacking shaman would still probably cause balancing problems) and replace where Mana tide is, with the Spirit Link Totem.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    edited May 2011
    They're making Innervate basically useless to cast on other people, lets hope they don't make Mana Tide as pointless.

Xeddicus on
    edited May 2011
    Oh, good. We needed healers running out of mana more often.

forty on
    edited May 2011
    I blame PvP. Because it's always PvP. I'm sure Mana Tide was being abused somehow.

Xeddicus on
    edited May 2011
    I still posit that Blizzard is making the change now in anticipation of higher Spirit levels over the next few tiers. Haven't done much PvP thus far, but I can't imagine how Mana Tide would be useful.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited May 2011
    It's really difficult to predict what will happen in future tiers of raiding based on partial patch notes and only the barest amount of public testing. Like somebody pointed out, spell costs won't be increasing, but we'll have increasing amounts of mana and spirit. Any ability based on proportionate amounts of either is going to be more and more powerful as time goes on.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited May 2011
    tier12shaman.jpg

Could be worse, I suppose.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited May 2011
    It just needs to be more red like the warlock set (minus the spiderman theme maybe), otherwise it's fine.

Xeddicus on
  • SledSled Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maybe its the female orc, but that helm looks awful. I can barely tell what it even is besides maybe a mass of flames hovering above her head. Otherwise, like somebody else said .. could be worse. :P

I still love the Shaman T8 set the best.

Sled on
    edited May 2011
    I think it's the female orc making it look awful.

I'll wait to see what it looks like on a race that isn't universally hideous, but I have to say it's definitely not in the god-tier of sweet looking t12 with paladin.

Kainy on