As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Preggo-Gamers at PAX

JenocideJenocide Registered User new member
edited June 2011 in PAX Archive
Hola community!
I have never been to PAX, or any other convention, and was hoping for some advice...
I was going to buy tickets for this years PAX for my husband, as a birthday gift; he's been dying to go. However by the time it rolls around I will be 8 months preggo.
Besides the obvious, bring snacks and a water bottle, is there anything else you could think of that might help me out? I'm really anxious to go myself, but I don't want to be a drag to him.
I know most of the day will be spent on my feet, but are there places for people to sit and relax?
Thanks for your help ^.^

Jenocide on

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can use this forum (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=139422) for those questions for many helpful paxers. There are summo pillows on different floors and mattering where your at in the building chairs. Test and have comfy shoes, take breaks, and food and hydrate yourself all day.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks much, I'll do that.

Jenocide on
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The summo pillows are not going to be 8 months preggo friendly - too close to the ground!

There were some chairs and love seats on the third floor behind the escalators. I hung out there quite a bit last year, it was pretty quiet. I'd take breaks frequently, make sure you're eating enough protein, and if you need a place to sit and can't find one - ask an enforcer!

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Get a med pass. At east, there was an expectant mother who told me that she didn't know that she was eligible for one. It had been a tough weekend for her but when she finally got one, it made a huge difference for her.

NeuralLink on
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One of those little tripod fold-up chairs and whatever the heck you need to make SURE you get a good night's sleep. If you're tired or sore from an uncomfortable night's sleep in a strange hotel bed, there's really nothing you can do to compensate for it.

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    While I haven't been to PAX itself pregnant, god knows being on my 5th kid now, I've been pregnant enough to have picked up some basic tips:

Console freeplay and tabletop are awesome places to sit if you need a rest. You can try out some new games, hang out with people, and get off your feet for a while. Other nice and pretty places to sit are in the adjacent park outside on the 4th floor (I'd stay stay from the area right outside the door however as thats the smoking area) and the area outside the little coffee place on the first floor. There are also all kinds of little nooks and cranny places if you just need a few minutes to be away from the crowds.

Pack as light as humanly possible. It's tempting to want to bring your ds, camera, netbook, snacks, etc so you are ready for anything, but doing some serious thinking about if each thing is really worth it to you, in the long run will save you some backache. Personally I'm chatty enough that I do fine even in long lines, with just my wallet, phone (with camera in it) and maybe a water bottle.

Dress in layers. Depending on the area you are in you might be chilly or sweltering, and pregnancy only makes it 10 times worse.

Wear the most comfortable shoes you can get your hands on. Even if they are those hideous leopard print ones with the green paint splorked on them from that time you redid the garage. You will be walking a LOT, and it will make the difference of you having fun or being utterly miserable by the end of the day.

At 8 months, you will likely be pretty round, and you may want to invest in one of those baby support...belt...things. I haven't used them personally as I had never even heard of them till a while ago, but I know several women that swear by them if you have to do a lot of walking around during the end months.

And congrats on the new little one! :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cannot stress this enough!!! you totally should email and ask for a medical badge.
    SmallLady wrote: »

I'm disabled/ have a mobility impairment/ use a wheelchair, how easy will it be to get around PAX?

No problem, apply for a medical pass, and you get special accommodation getting into panels and the like. You can apply for a pass for yourself and a +1 so you can have someone help you. To register, email pax_questions@paxsite.com

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SmallLady, I sent a private email with the medical pass info to Jenocide. I don't know why I didn't think about it since I get one.

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for all the advice!
    I'm definitley looking into getting the back support belt through my OB. I'm 18 weeks atm and already have back strain. At PAX I will be 35 weeks, so actually more like 9 months.
    The fold up chair might be too bulky to carry with me but the spots you guys mentioned sound great. I'll keep any eye out for them!
    And the medical pass sounds like a great idea! Not to mention sure the hubby will enjoy the perks as well...
    Is it all really fast pace, super busy convention... or do most people kinda meander through and take their time at each display? I understand there will be alot of walking but if it's a slower pace I'm sure I should do fine.
    How many floors does this convention take place on? Elevators or escalators for attendees to use?
    Again thanks for your time!

Jenocide on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are both escalators and elevators aplenty.
    The convention utilizes the whole convention center, all six floors, and most likely other venues nearby.
    PAX is definitely crowded. Especially the exhibition hall. Though I'd say there is plenty of meandering. And lots of lines.
    Protip: PAX is not just the exhibition hall! The panels, freeplay areas, etc. have a much larger abundance of chairs.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    Fengie The NinjaFengie The Ninja Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There is going to be a lot of walking involved. If you are experiencing swelling in your legs, it might be good to invest in some compression stockings, also called TED hose. They can be purchased at medical supply stores and man did they really help me out when I was seven months pregnant at PAX three years ago! Not only did the swelling go down, but they also kept my legs and feet from hurting.

Also comfy shoes are a must, though those were listed in the FAQ. XD

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this is a big never mind on this reply. Nothing to see here, droids and all that :)

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    SrenaebSrenaeb Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hi Jenocide!

If you don't already have a World Map from previous years,
    there's one here

tabletop gaming areas usually come with seating
    all theatres seem to be permanently packed with people inside and/or people lining up outside
    go to the expo hall super early: I got some rare swag that way last year, AND it's not as packed

Srenaeb on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Uh... I came in here expecting some combination of gaming and spaghetti sauce...

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pax would be a great place for some future gamer baby shopping! Grats on the babeh

pillarofdawn on
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This thread title sounds like some crazy fetish. Who's up for cosplaying preggo?!

Clix on
  • Options
    olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jenocide wrote: »
    Besides the obvious, bring snacks and a water bottle, is there anything else you could think of that might help me out?

I say this only half-jokingly, you should probably check out the hospitals and figure out where you would prefer to go, just in case...

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    olanmills wrote: »
    Besides the obvious, bring snacks and a water bottle, is there anything else you could think of that might help me out?

I say this only half-jokingly, you should probably check out the hospitals and figure out where you would prefer to go, just in case...

Nah, do it on stage during a G&T Q&A. That's where everyone else has their major life events happen.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    GoldElfGoldElf Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Unless you're local and plan to drive/bus in each day, you will also almost undoubtedly want to stay at the Sheraton. It's about half a block from the convention center and the closest hotel to the goings-on. Some of the panels even take place in that hotel, so you can always rest in your hotel room before those panels while your husband waits in line for you.

GoldElf on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well just found out we will be expecting #2. I will be about 16 weeks by the time PAX comes assuming nothing untowards happens. We are leaving the 10 year old (Holy crap its been a decade since I did this last!) home with grandma and grandpa. We knowit would suck to bring her plus this trip is our Honeymoon (4 years after wedding)/His 30th b-day present and well we want to go damnit.

What I am wondering from all of you who have done this before, is are there many places to sit? While I will not verry perggers and if this is anything like the last because I am tubby you won't be able to tell, but I do know I won't be moving as fast a usuall and will not be sleeping that well, but not nearly as bad as decemberish!

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some good advice (and some silly goose commentary) on this topic has already been given here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=141283

To address your specific concerns, there are lots of places to sit if you count the ground, and the sumos (which are beanbag chairs on the ground). Otherwise there's a fair number of chairs scattered around, especially near the dining areas and tabletop. While it's likely that they'll be crowded, one can usually find a spot. In any case, most folks are nice enough to offer a seat if you explain the situation.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Damn me for not reading further before posting! And thanks for the info, As I said I will only be 4 months so its not going to be to bad or even noticable, and hey I sould be past morning sickness!

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jenocide: Congrats!

I too am going to be preggers at PAX but only 16 weeks and only baby #2, but it feels like my first, since my daughter will be 10 a few weeks before PAX and is pissed that she can't come and maybe meet the Tested/Giant Bomb Guys!

I am planning on ressurecting my old diaperbag/backpack because it had some nice features that i think will be handy. The 2 insulated side poscktes to hold water, and the fact that the fron opens flat and has spots for the all important stuff like Camera, extra batteries, DS, and Ipods. The big inside is roomy enough for snacks and a light shirt if I need a spare as we are staying about a mile away at a Best Western.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jonxp wrote: »

Nah, do it on stage during a G&T Q&A. That's where everyone else has their major life events happen.

And then get the crowd to name the child.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »

And then get the crowd to name the child.

make sure when you hold it up you do it like this
    http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/t/the_lion_king_cartoon-5070.jpg

tokyodove on
  • Options
    MortonStromgalMortonStromgal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My wife was 7 months pregnant last year (hopefully she will post a response). Your close to Sweedish First Hill which is the hospital with the great NICU so thats good. I recommend a close hotel, good walking shoes, water, power bars, and a fishing chair. Also if you can go as a group and have someone always sitting at a table be it you or someone else from the group so you'll always have a place to go and sit.

MortonStromgal on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Other thing is too (MortonStomgal), if you ask for a seat usually people will be kind and considerate. I have a spinal problem and even I would get up for a pregnant woman. So don't be afraid to ask for a seat, we are mostly sweet people.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Be sure to become acquainted with the COOKIE BRIGADE. They will help you with all your sweet cravings!

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX