As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadians Are A Coming

KhorinKhorin Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in PAX Archive
Hows it going band of like minded individuals, my names Chris and my buddy Curtis and I are gonna go through some big descision making on getting to Washington. Pre-Reg tickets have already been bought because clearly that was the first move to make. Now all we have to worry about is the fact that we live in Canada. :shock: So far we have two options, bus or plane. Driving is out of the question because the 3 days it would take, frequent breaks and places to stay in between don't allow for that fun of a ride. Bus also takes 3 days but atleast we are not the ones driving. The bus ride it quite reasonable in price compared to the plane, to throw out some figures it would cost use about $700 cnd each for a round trip ticket or around $300 round trip for the bus. Substantially lower i know. But the on going battle in our minds of sitting next to that fat guy eating chips for the entire time and asking you if he can try out that new sleeper hold that he just learnt on you doesn't seem that appealing when it lasts for 3 days. Then i thought how about mixing it up, bus their plane back. Cuts the price and only half the chance of being set asleep by the sleeper hold. The main argument is how much does an extra $400 buy you? What would you do? Regardless were coming it's just were weighing out the Fun:Money ratio. Let's hear what you guys would do in this given situtaion.

-Khorin

p.s. We live in Montreal,Quebec :D (not french)

Khorin on

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2006
    Ahh, so you guys are way out East- i know there are other Montreal folk coming out, you should definitely try to coordinate with them to see how they're making the trip.

edit: oh and you may want to check out this thread:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=210444

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    :D Canucks!!!

It seems like more and more of our fellow contremen and countryladies are coming to PAX :D

We should plan some sort of activity!

Anyone with me?

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    It seems like more and more of our fellow contremen and countryladies are coming to PAX :D

OH GOD ITS AN INVASION!

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • KhorinKhorin Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    haha sure we'll through a bash

Khorin on
    edited March 2006
    BigRed wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

OH GOD ITS AN INVASION!

We're in ur base. Drinking ur Bawls.

Trillian on

• flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

OH GOD ITS AN INVASION!

We're in ur base. Drinking ur Bawls.
    damn, you win the thread.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Well as soon as you start donating to my "Get Bryse's Ass to PAX" Fund...

Actually I hope to raise about 800 bucks with around a $620 flight. I dunno where else to ask this but does that seem alright?

Bryse Eayo on
    edited March 2006
    Bryse Eayo wrote:
    Well as soon as you start donating to my "Get Bryse's Ass to PAX" Fund...

Actually I hope to raise about 800 bucks with around a $620 flight. I dunno where else to ask this but does that seem alright?

While we're on this topic, let's start a "Help send Trillian to E3 so she doesn't have to rape a bank account on a plane ticket" fund!!

PAX is a cheap sell for me. It's gas money :)

Trillian on

• jandrewsjandrews Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Khorin,

Me and a couple buddies are essentially in the same situation as you, however, we are a bit farther east...namely St. John's, Newfoundland. Here's our plan..keep in mind we are trying to balance time, money and fun.

We're going to drive to Boston (including ferries to the mainland and such) then grab an Amtrak to Chicago (spend a day in Chi Town) then continue on the Amtrak to Seattle. PAX it up, then grab a flight back to Boston. Spend some time in New England then drive our way back to Newfoundland.

We think it's a nice mixture of planes, trains and automobiles that will not totally bankrupt us and not drive us crazy in a small car for 45 hours at a time :D

Jeremy

jandrews on
    edited March 2006
    What's a rough price you guys came up with if you've gotten that far in the planning :P

-Khorin

Khorin on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2006
    I still vote you join the Cross-Country Supertrip. I ALWAYS vote for the CCST.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2006
    Hmm, let's see, the last I checked this is what it looked like:

>Travel:
    >Train: 280 Can
    >Flight 200 Can
    >Car: Gas to Boston and back (split 3 ways)
    >
    >Accomodations:
    >Night Truro 30 CAN
    >2 Nights in Chicago 80 CAN
    >3 Nights in Seattle 100 CAN
    >Nights in b/w Boston and halifax: around 100CAN as well
    >
    >Booze:
    >Don't even want to think about it
    >
    >Food:
    >See above
    >
    >Entertainment:
    >See above
    >
    >:D

Yeah, so we're looking at around 700-800 before factoring in food, booze and entertainment...obviously that will be a huge expense but the one cost that we can mitigate depending on the circumstances. That being said this is for over two weeks of travelling, drinking, partying and having an awesome time with good buddies...so i consider it a great investment :P

- jeremy

jandrews on
    edited March 2006
    PAX Pre-reg - $35
    Gas - Cost to Washington
    Hotel - $85/night
    Fatburger Combo - $10
    Subway if they don't run out of food again - $5
    Matt's Chili Dogs - $0 (because it got tore down, yo)
    Safeway non-perishable munchie goodness - $20
    Pre-PAX dinner extravaganza - $??
    Pre-PAX movie *fingers crossed for Clerks II* $8

Travelling with a huge super-convoy, gaming all the way with a following of fellow geekness... Priceless, and so much cooler than a plane

CCST-route.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Couple of friends and I are also coming down from Canada. We decided to buck up and just pay for the airfare, though It's only running us $400 CDN for a round trip since we're from the west. Just need to get the hotels booked, which's happening next weekend. Anyways, we northerners should get together for some sort of thing during PAX.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited March 2006
    What airlines are you guys flying with, and where did you get your price quote?

-Khorin

Khorin on
  • TorrenTorren Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    we should do adinner again the last one was a blast

Torren on
    edited March 2006
    If some people wanna get together sunday night after PAX Curtis and myself don't plan to leave till monday afternoon, we'd have to get some coordiantion of some kind, man if i use my cell phone theres gonna be all kinds of awful roaming charges :P

-Khorin

Khorin on
    edited March 2006
    Khorin wrote:
    If some people wanna get together sunday night after PAX Curtis and myself don't plan to leave till monday afternoon, we'd have to get some coordiantion of some kind, man if i use my cell phone theres gonna be all kinds of awful roaming charges :P

-Khorin

You can probably find a group to join for dinner. I know we're booked until monday too, so let's co-ordinate

textmessages?

Trillian on

• leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    lol liek u culd txt mi phone trill!

I was however hoping that the canadian dinner would be before the event, I almost enjoy the sleep deprived drive back the day it ends.

I'm sure the small animals I ran over didn't enjoy it as much, but you can't win them all...

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited March 2006
    I am definitely up for a Canadian dinner, and the associated drunk wanderings around Seattle afterwards complaining about horrible American beer and lack of foreign policy :P

- jeremy

Oh yeah, and the airline prices I get are from a variety of sites; travelocity, expedia..all do the trick.

jandrews on
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    yeah, i haven't been to one of them canadian dinners and i wanna join this year :)

degreesplatinum on
    edited March 2006
    leaf wrote:
    lol liek u culd txt mi phone trill!

I was however hoping that the canadian dinner would be before the event, I almost enjoy the sleep deprived drive back the day it ends.

I'm sure the small animals I ran over didn't enjoy it as much, but you can't win them all...

olololol sexual innuendo

Stay the extra night, and don't run over the bunnies. That way everyone wins!

Trillian on

edited March 2006
    My god man your brilliant txt msging is such a good idea, now now a question to previous paxers. when in washington do you have to put the canadian area code before the number(Im 514) or something else???

-Khorin

Khorin on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2006
    Khorin wrote:
    My god man your brilliant txt msging is such a good idea, now now a question to previous paxers. when in washington do you have to put the canadian area code before the number(Im 514) or something else???

-Khorin

I think that calls to Canada work the same way as calls to other area codes within the US.

Doc on
    edited March 2006
    When time is running closer we should open a thread for phone numbers and pictures so we know who were meeting and how to reach them. For all i know this could of been done last year but i wouldn't know :P

my two cents

-Khorin

Khorin on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Khorin, I got my tickets directly from the Air Canada website. Believe it or not, they were actually cheaper. O.o

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited March 2006
    Air CAnada?!? Boo-urns! They weren't cheaper than of the other multitude of options? That seems odd...oh wait, they make you pay for peanuts and pillows on the plane, nvm.

- Jeremy

jandrews on
    edited March 2006
    Dodge that bullet. Bring your own food :)

No meat or oranges, but last time I checked, everything else was ok.
    Just say you require a special diet.

Trillian on

• degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Khorin, I got my tickets directly from the Air Canada website. Believe it or not, they were actually cheaper. O.o

That's because Celine Dion will be there singing right next to you :P

degreesplatinum on
    edited March 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Dodge that bullet. Bring your own food :)

No meat or oranges, but last time I checked, everything else was ok.
    Just say you require a special diet.

Damn, I was hankering for a nice big piece of cow ass when I was in air..oh well, guess I'll have to deal with pringles XD

And degrees, if that were the case, Air Canada would actually BE out of business not teetering eternally on the edge.

Why does everyone bring up Dion when we talk about Canada, OHWHY!! :P Why not beavers, or moose...or dare I say...seals? :shock:

- Jeremy

jandrews on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Khorin wrote:

-Khorin

I think that calls to Canada work the same way as calls to other area codes within the US.

that would be true. at least its true for trills number.

Shade on
    edited March 2006
    Shade wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Khorin wrote:

-Khorin

that would be true. at least its true for trills number.

Yep, that's right. You don't get charged long distance for text though, and no roaming either. Roaming is SUPER expensive, so avoid it at all costs!!!

(and btw Khorin, I'm female ^_~)

Trillian on

edited March 2006
    Don't let her lie to you, she's a WITCH!
    A WITCH, BURN HER!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• EskoEsko Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Yep, that's right. You don't get charged long distance for text though, and no roaming either. Roaming is SUPER expensive, so avoid it at all costs!!!

gotta love the nationwide network....and now its only 20cents (just realized theres no cent symbol on the keyboard) to call canadian numbers from my cell... :D ...i think the number swap will be good as we get closer.....also im guessing the PAX rooms are all on floors together, room numbers would be good to exchange as we check in too....

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
    edited March 2006
    The PAX rooms are the whole of both hotels for the most part.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2006
    oh yeah, for some reason i always forget exactly how many people will be staying out there....what ever ended up happening with that restaurant you were gonna try to book til midnight...

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
    edited March 2006
    I'm hoping to find somebody a little more local to the area to set up the reservation. Any takers? :P

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2006
    Esko wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

gotta love the nationwide network....and now its only 20cents (just realized theres no cent symbol on the keyboard) to call canadian numbers from my cell... :D ...i think the number swap will be good as we get closer.....also im guessing the PAX rooms are all on floors together, room numbers would be good to exchange as we check in too....

Yeah, we need to find out a bit in advance where the parties will be and ...you know...pick and choose ^^

Trillian on

edited March 2006
    the official PAX party is on saturday night right? im thinking of hitting the bars for a bit then to room parties friday night and hanging in the hotel bar on thursday night after i get in....

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
    edited March 2006
    I don't think I'll venture out to any bars, since I have a really bad habit of getting lost. That and the US has a really stupid drinking age. I can drink legally anywhere in the rest of the world!! Why not the US???

Trillian on

This discussion has been closed.