As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Judgement Day and We Can Know: What the hell?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    You can't remain on a date forever by traveling westward, and I don't think the international date line has a width.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    You can't remain on a date forever by traveling westward, and I don't think the international date line has a width.

Troll geography begs to differ sir

On a side note, if Jesus really is coming one time zone at a time, and we assume news anchors are all going to hell for lying (this shouldn't really be a stretch), are we going to hear some reports on the Rapture before it reaches us? If so, we should have a good few hours at least to repent and feel really bad about our sins before he makes it to where we live.

joshofalltrades on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    These billboards are littering all of san diego.

It is actually kinda impressive, just to coordinate such signage. They even took down the san diego zoo billboards to put some of these things up.

I for one cannot wait for the world to end, one time zone at a time.

I want those billboards to stay up until at least 6/21. Preferably of 2012.

Tomanta on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My guess would be if it's set to happen at a certain time, when it's that time in Jerusalem, it will happen everywhere at once.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ego wrote: »
    If I didn't like my car, I'd start collecting judgement day bumper stickers for it. Then I'd add a new one and leave the old one on every time one of the predicted days passes.

Sadly, I don't think the type of folk who believe in that sort of thing would get the point.

The best would be if you just kept slapping the new one slightly askew over the old ones. Or put a big line through the old one. Keep telling everyone "god changed his mind".

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fuck this, man. May 21st in my birthday. I'm going to be so pissed if my birthday is the end of mankind.

So pissed.

edit: I'm also in China, so I'll try to post here and let you guys know how it goes. Unless, y'know, my flesh is being ripped from my bones by hellhounds or something.

An-D on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd watch out for those people on may 21st, who's to say they're not going to faciliate their own little apocalypse/shooting spree? Fucking lunatics

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd watch out for those people on may 21st, who's to say they're not going to faciliate their own little apocalypse/shooting spree? Fucking lunatics

I'd posted about this a couple times recently. I'm not afraid of the world ending, but I'm afraid of my perception of the world ending when one of the born-again nuts at my job arrives with a gun to set us all free or some shit. I've got video games to play, man, go kill everyone else away from me.

A teacher I had in highschool just posted this on the FB:
    You know how many End of the Worlds I've lived through?

Henroid on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

there is that, (look at what 19 religious crazies did on 9/11) but I worry more that one of these days their prediction will coincide with an actual natural disaster and you will end up with another Ed Creffield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Creffield

Foolproof on
  • witchwaywitchway Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    IF IT IS THE RUPTURE, WHAT HAPPENS TO MY CAT?

witchway on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    witchway wrote: »
    IF IT IS THE RUPTURE, WHAT HAPPENS TO MY CAT?

http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/

Daedalus on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jothki wrote: »

What happens if you board a jet travelling west, or heck, just sit on a ship on the International Date Line? Can you skip the whole thing?

8Ilwx.jpg

Turkey on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

What happens if you board a jet travelling west, or heck, just sit on a ship on the International Date Line? Can you skip the whole thing?

8Ilwx.jpg

Somehow I always knew the end of the world would be Bronson Pinchot's fault.

Taramoor on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So on today's episode, Camping goes into a long rant about how everything bad that happens is part of "God's judgment". Obviously the first thing he goes to are relatively recent events in the U.S., because 9/11 and tornadoes are the worst things that have ever happened to anyone anywhere. Also everyone needs to do more praying (Praying! Praying!). People spend too much time watching TV and thinking about nonsense (heh). He also goes on a rant about some one who claims to have read the Bible seven times, like it's some sort of feat no one could possibly accomplish unless they were "speed reading". The whole thing comes across as incredibly smug.

The interesting thing is that right now we're at 5 days left, according to the much publicized date. However, he has switched to saying two or three weeks. Either he's really bad at math (but he seems to know the first 12 prime numbers) or he's going to have a couple of weeks of backpedaling and defending his insane crap before he either admits he was wrong or, more likely, refuses to admit he ever made any sort of prediction. I guess he probably got an estimate on how long it would take to take down the billboards and repaint the vans over the weekend.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This whole thing reads like an onion article. I can't believe it's actually a thing.

xraydog on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Unfortunately, it's not. I've seen one of their billboards in my neighborhood. At least the city's getting some money.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There actually have been a few Onion articles that dealt with end of the world scenarios and the people who propagandize them, but I can't find any that outline this specific scenario.

Taramoor on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's not. I've seen one of their billboards in my neighborhood. At least the city's getting some money.

Yeah, I've got one that I drive by on my way to work and school almost every single day.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In the latest judgment day news, an Australian couple believe themselves to be Jesus and Mary Magdalene.

The main thing I got from that article was why can't we have a Cult Awareness and Information Center?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    In the latest judgment day news, an Australian couple believe themselves to be Jesus and Mary Magdalene.

The main thing I got from that article was why can't we have a Cult Awareness and Information Center?

They'd just wind up being acquired by the totally not a cult Church of Scientology.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tribulations and rapture are pretty close, right?

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-palmdale-woman-attempted-murder,0,3939586.story

Apparently tribulations make you want to slit throats and also do a really bad job of it (fortunately).

Scooter on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Always liked this quote from Good Omens re: Rapture
    "Well, nice try, only it won't be like that at all, not really. I mean, you're right about the fire and war and all that, but that "Rapture" stuff, well, if you could see them all in Heaven, ranks of them as far as the mind can follow and beyond, league after league of us, flaming swords, all that- well, what I'm trying to say is, who has time to go around picking people out and popping them up in the air to sneer at the people dying of radiation-sickness on the parched and burning Earth below them (if that's your idea of a morally acceptable time, I might add)?"

KalTorak on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »

Troll geography begs to differ sir

On a side note, if Jesus really is coming one time zone at a time, and we assume news anchors are all going to hell for lying (this shouldn't really be a stretch), are we going to hear some reports on the Rapture before it reaches us? If so, we should have a good few hours at least to repent and feel really bad about our sins before he makes it to where we live.

In the end times, Jesus just fucks with everybody and picks random timezones.

Also, I wonder if Palin or Beck buy into any of this. They're talking a lot about Israel on their Twitter accounts recently, but I bet that's mostly tied to the anniversary of their declaration of independence.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My girlfriend is begging me to stay home on the 21st. Not because she believes in the Apocalypse, or whatever - she's afraid what sort of shenanigans other people might get up to that day. End of the world, right?

Although they've made predictions like this before, right? Probably within my lifetime? That did mean that I got to say to her, "Baby, this ain't my first Apocalypse".

Point is, I live in NYC and have to go through the big subway station every Friday and Saturday, walking by all the crazies with the signs telling me I'll burn in hell. Think they'll give their money to me, since they won't need it if they're right?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited May 2011
    You get these predictions every couple of years. I'm 31, and I think there's probably been half a dozen or so in my lifetime, not counting the ultrafringe that are predicting these things every other day.

The Jehova's Witnesses alone predicted one about every 15 years at the beginning of the 20th century.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited May 2011
    What's the time it's supposed to happen?

I kind of want to shove a watch in someone's face and count down with them. Or say I'm Satan and that I will choose when the world ends and they won't be able to calculate it, or something.

Of course, I'll probably be murdered instantly and this is a terrible idea.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's the time it's supposed to happen?

I kind of want to shove a watch in someone's face and count down with them. Or say I'm Satan and that I will choose when the world ends and they won't be able to calculate it, or something.

Of course, I'll probably be murdered instantly and this is a terrible idea.

I think 6pm, but im not sure of the timezone.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    6 PM in every timezone. By the time 6 PM hits any US timezones, it will have moved through 16 or 17 timezones already. Surely the rapture would have been noticed by then.

juice for jesus on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    6 PM in every timezone. By the time 6 PM hits any US timezones, it will have moved through 16 or 17 timezones already. Surely the rapture would have been noticed by then.
    No, it won't. The Rapture is nearly a complete US-only thing. Since one of the conditions for getting Raptured is believing in the Rapture, this means almost nobody is going to vanish until 6 PM hits the US.

Oh, there'll be a few disappearances, I have no doubt, but not nearly enough for people to really sit up and take notice (or connect their disappearance to the Rapture).

Unless all children get Raptured (due to them not having reached the age of accountability or some such thing). In which case, people won't notice the Rapture, as such, they'll only notice that their children are gone.

WotanAnubis on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So that's the plot to Children of Men

huh

override367 on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No, it won't. The Rapture is nearly a complete US-only thing. Since one of the conditions for getting Raptured is believing in the Rapture, this means almost nobody is going to vanish until 6 PM hits the US.

Oh, there'll be a few disappearances, I have no doubt, but not nearly enough for people to really sit up and take notice (or connect their disappearance to the Rapture).

Unless all children get Raptured (due to them not having reached the age of accountability or some such thing). In which case, people won't notice the Rapture, as such, they'll only notice that their children are gone.

Camping and his cultists believe it is pre-destined, nothing you do will affect your rapture or non-rapture.

At least, that's how I understood it.

juice for jesus on
    edited May 2011
    So now we're bringing in that Calvinist predestination nonsense? That is the worst kind cause it allows dicks to be dicks and makes some people feel helpless.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2011
    Ah, they're Calvanists?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Worse.

Calvinandhobbsnist.

E: I regret nothing. I have 5 days to live anyways.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Unfortunately I can see this sort of stuff increasing as we get nearer to 2012. Indeed, I fully expect the possibility of some sort of mass suicide on Saturday, and more towards the end of next year.

The reality of it though really is that Revelations specifically says that nobody will no the day of judgement, and anyone who tries guessing isn't getting upstairs.

WMain00 on
    edited May 2011
    Revelation also specifically warns against false messiahs and prophets.

It's almost like these morons have never actually read the bible.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can see this sort of stuff increasing as we get nearer to 2012. Indeed, I fully expect the possibility of some sort of mass suicide on Saturday, and more towards the end of next year.

The reality of it though really is that Revelations specifically says that nobody will no the day of judgement, and anyone who tries guessing isn't getting upstairs.

I doubt there will be mass suicides. A few perhaps, but I thnk the faithful will be too busy figuring out what went wrong to bother with kool aid. Also, suicide is a sin, this no go rapture might simply be proof of gods sense of humour.

Caveman Paws on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Talk of Iowa (Iowa Public Radio program) had a show about this last week.
    Wednesday May 11, 2011
    May 21 "Rapture"

Some Christian groups are claiming that Saturday, May 21 is "Judgment Day," or "The Rapture," when God's "Elect People" will be taken up into heaven. They base their beliefs on the book of Daniel and claim that 2011 is the end of "the 23-year Great Tribulation." We'll talk to a believer of the prediction, Stephen Brooks of Boone Bible Ministries and a detractor, Jason Kelley of Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers. Also participating in the discussion will be Iowa State University Religion Professor Dr. Hector Avalos and Des Moines Register columnist Kyle Munson.

Stream/Download here

Had quite a few good points about end of the world crazes in general, as well as some snarky comments from skeptics. And some views from the other side of the looking glass, of course.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2011
    Hmm... "23 year great tribulation" huh?

Let's see here, 2011 minus 23 years equals... 1988.

Yep, that's what I thought. Reagan no longer being President triggered armageddon. 50 years from now, I would seriously not be surprised to see these people literally worshiping Reagan as the second coming of Christ.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They're certainly working towards that. Have you seen the revisionist history that's been coming out about Reagan?

DarkPrimus on