As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItLgYuDaqMQ

It was Witwicky, but Bumblebee was right there so partial credit?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The first Transformers movie was cool because:

a) Bumblebee throwing out an s-bomb for no real reason made your parents wonder what the hell you were watching to begin with.
    b) Stan Bush and The Touch
    c) a kid sees Optimus die, it really stays with them.

"Dare" is a better song than "The Touch".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAESo2uv-po&feature=related

And it was Spike who threw out the s-bomb (and Ultra-Magnus dropped a dammit before he got smoked on the Junk planet).

1986 was a fucked up year for animated movies - I remember crying when Optimus died, and then I cried for most of American Tail. The Transformers animated movie is the first movie I remember watching where characters I loved were just getting killed left and right.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh, and Unicron was maybe the best villain I'd encountered up to that point (outside of comic books).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just hope that they keep the racist twin-bots to a minimum, not that I found them to uncomfortably racist, I just found them to be uncomfortably awkward to watch.

And what exactly do you dig about the Transformers movies TLB, I'm not criticizing your taste but I am curious as to what you see in it?

you would not be the first person to criticize my taste

I do not take offense to it because I got the most eclectic taste of anyone you will ever meet and doggies who know me can attest

as for the transformers movies?

I love them because they are astoundingly dumb.

Almost so that they reach the brink of genius in how dumb they are.

They take the basic conceit of robots that turn into cars and planes and also fight each other, and instead of leaving that dumb kernel of an idea alone, they add like a billion more layers of even stupider things to it. It is comedy gold. And the bad comedy is even funnier because the unintentional stuff is even funnier than that, if it makes sense.

They are masterpieces of ineptitude.

Ed Wood couldn't do them better.

And in between the rampant idiocy, there are giant robots fighting each other.

There is nothing not to love for me in these movies.

They are just so fun.

But impossible to watch twice.

I ashamed to admit I feel the same way. I really hope a better writer/director takes this series up after the 3rd. So much potential. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make an action movie with a decent plot..

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    fun fact, Duke was supposed to die in the GI Joe movie first, and then Hasbro thought it was a great idea to kill Optimus Prime on Christmas

so, after reports of sobbing children and complaining parents, they removed Duke's death from the GI Joe movie, even though it was targeted towards and older audience

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ellis should have used Cobra-La as part of GIJOE:Resolute.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Transformers animated movie is the first movie I remember watching where characters I loved were just getting killed left and right.

Seeing Wheeljacks corpse being dragged aside in the battle for Autobot City stayed with me for years. And the death of Optimus, obviously.

But I am so close to giving up on the movies. I mean yes, I will fork out cash to go see it, but if the racist twins say more than two words in a row another small piece of soul will whither and die.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I cried for most of American Tail.

Ohgod, the suppressed trauma has been brought back in full force.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

have you read any of the Devil's Due Publishing GI Joe/Transformers books? They are fantastic and the fourth book uses Cobra-La AND the Pretenders.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ebert just doesn't get this stuff, his inability to recognize comics and videogames as a legitimate source of art all but prove this. Since he has no method of comprehending these things I simply just don't listen to him when he talks about them.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    But he liked Shadow of the Colossus, and his review of Thor indicates that he liked Iron Man and TDK.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't like Roger Ebert

But even if I did, I would have to say that his Thor review was stupid

The big robot didn't go to New Mexico to kill Thor because it does in the comics, you dumbass. It went there because Loki sent it to kill Thor and Thor was in New Mexico.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »

have you read any of the Devil's Due Publishing GI Joe/Transformers books? They are fantastic and the fourth book uses Cobra-La AND the Pretenders.

I haven't seen those books - I'll have to take a look next time I'm at the shop.

And Ebert's THOR review....eh, I don't know. The only movie critic I really trust anymore is the Motion/Captured guy over at Hitfix (he used to be at aintitcool).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I haven't seen those books - I'll have to take a look next time I'm at the shop.

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Vs-Transformers-v/dp/1932796096
    http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Transformers-Graphic-Novels/dp/1932796320/ref=pd_sim_b_2
    http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Vs-Transformers-Graphic/dp/1932796649/ref=pd_sim_b_1
    and it turns out the fourth one, Black Horizon, was published as two double-sized issues

it was collected in an omnibus with the other three volumes, but that appears to be the only option besides singles

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'll be honest, if I want a good opinion about comic movies I would come here first, since everyone here has a better starting point for understanding the films.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the problem is that thor wasn't complicated or hard to follow at all. if you were never to have heard of roger ebert before and his thor review was the first review he'd ever put out you would swear he's a fucking idiot for not being able to follow the clearly laid out plotlines.

for the most part i like ebert reviews but he does come out with some incredibly dense opinions and is never willing to accept the fact that he might have been wrong.

Angry on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    there's no point in getting angry at critics

unless they don't like Death Wish 3

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Death Wish 3 is the cinematic equivalent of a stinking pile of poop straight from my butt. I didn't even wipe. Thats how awful it was.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that is not a true quote!

he still hated it though

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He didn't even wipe!

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't find anything wrong with his Thor review or response to it. Other than the inaccuracies (which are not really a big deal/explained in the response) most of what he has to say are legitimate flaws that don't place it in the top tier of super hero movies. I don't think it even aspires to that.

The difference is that those flaws don't carry as much weight in my mind, so I enjoyed the film.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I disagree.

He mentions several times that details such as Asgard being another world are "explained in the comics"

yet these were explicitly stated in the film

so he backpedals by saying any details he missed were due to the film being so boring he can't remember anything

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I think he just didn't care about Thor, then assumed nobody would care about the review.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw Thor with my girlfriend and really loved the movie. I have only read small pieces of the comics so I was open on what to expect. I don't think anything of it was hard to follow or even remotely flawed in pacing or buildup. My girlfriend really enjoyed it too, and even said that the actors in it would be hard to assemble if they felt the material was that bad. It was tasteful, to say the least but gave plenty of nods to comic fans with the easter eggs here and there. All in all, anyone who reads the GV forums would enjoy it, and if you don't I'd be truly surprised.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw it yesterday and felt let down by it. It wasn't a terrible film by any stretch but I'd certainly place it near the bottom of the list for Marvel flicks.
    Something I thought they did quite well was show how powerful Thor is. In terms of film-making qualities though it was severely lacking. None of the characters were very interesting and everything felt quite shallow. Loki's motivations in the film were quite unclear as well.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thor is starting to sound like it gets the same sorts of reactions from people that Tron Legacy did.

Which probably means it's gonna be all right by me.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »
    If it helps his parents aren't in the new one.
    Pretty sure I saw John Turturro in the new trailer, though.

Great actor, but his character's been awful in both movies.

Really? I absolutely loved his character (or, at any rate, his portrayal of the character) in both movies. He's the highlight of those movies for me!

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wonder how much money Transformers would make if it was done without any human characters at all. I assume that the franchise needs them to attract a wider audience and justify the CG and special effects expenses.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    dreamworks has the license to it, they should just make a completely cgi film with simpler animation models and characters

Antimatter on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    dreamworks has the license to it, they should just make a completely cgi film with simpler animation models and characters

I'd go see that.

They could do one between Bay's last film and whoever gets to do the next live-action blockbuster one. It'd be more similar to the original 86 film, but in CG. That'd be pretty sweet.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Liberty Meadows rights go back to Frank Cho

I didn't even realize he had something planned a la Family Guy for the series.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apparently the embargo was lifted on Green Lantern set visits. Joint collider and /film walk through, and interviews and the such

http://collider.com/green-lantern-set-visit/91189/

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow... the Thor: Tales of Asgard movie was really damn good. One of the highest quality marvel animations I've ever seen, and perhaps the best of Marvel's animated films. I would say it's on par with the DC animated movies, not in terms of animation (that was merely ok), but story wise it was surprisingly awesome.

And I'm not saying this because I'm a huge Thor fan (my inner Thor fan is actually a little peeved at some of the movie's odd departures from the comics).

I was expecting some lame Next Avengers like movie, but Tales of Asgard was surprisingly deep and surprisingly dark. Darker then even the darkest episode of Justice League... I certainly didn't expect this since they went with the teen Thor approach.

If this is a sign of Marvel animated movies to come, DC better make room for a for another top dog.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Glad to hear it's good. I was not going to get it but decided to tack it onto my Emerald Knights order for free shipping awhile ago. I've never had as big a problem with the Marvel efforts as some people though they always seem to fall short of DC's stuff (except for Apocalypse cause that was terrible).

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Wow... the Thor: Tales of Asgard movie was really damn good. One of the highest quality marvel animations I've ever seen, and perhaps the best of Marvel's animated films. I would say it's on par with the DC animated movies, not in terms of animation (that was merely ok), but story wise it was surprisingly awesome.

And I'm not saying this because I'm a huge Thor fan (my inner Thor fan is actually a little peeved at some of the movie's odd departures from the comics).

I was expecting some lame Next Avengers like movie, but Tales of Asgard was surprisingly deep and surprisingly dark. Darker then even the darkest episode of Justice League... I certainly didn't expect this since they went with the teen Thor approach.

If this is a sign of Marvel animated movies to come, DC better make room for a for another top dog.

It is the final Marvel DTV video arranged to be produced, this far.

It's 8/8 contracted through Lionsgate animation. So, the bad news is that it's the last one. The potential good news is that if they've been successful enough to warrant more, or if they need them to compete with DC's offerings, any future ones would be done directly through Disney, so the animation would probably be much, much better than it has been. And all the writers and stuff are Marvel Entertainment guys, so they would come along for the ride.

It blows my mind how Kyle/Yost/Johnson have done the fantastic Wolverine and the X-Men, EMH, and the later seasons of X-Men Evolution, but have also done all of the Marvel DTVs, which have mostly been terrible. Another thing to note is that the directors on all the DTVs are work-for-hire, and many of the people behind the later Marvel DTVs are the same storyboard artists and directors that do all of the DC films.

So it's really crazy how shitty some of the Marvel DTVs have been when you consider the talent behind them. Although, I really enjoyed the two featuring Hulk. And Next Avengers wasn't terrible.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dr. Strange wasn't bad

Wasn't fantastic, but wasn't bad

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I enjoyed Dr. Strange a hell of a lot more than I did the Iron Man animated feature. And yeah, the two Hulk VS. films were fun.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Dr. Strange wasn't bad

Wasn't fantastic, but wasn't bad

Yeah, the biggest problem is that it was totally unremarkable. Also, I wish we had gotten to see more of Strange in action. The focus was almost soley on his training, and the confrontation at the end was really rushed and anti-climatic.

The second Ultimate Avengers and Invincible Iron Man were totally awful, though. The rest suffered from mediocre stories, poor pacing, and terribly stale animation. The only one that I thought of as essential viewing was Planet Hulk, which was actually pretty kick-ass.

HadjiQuest on