As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Troubleshoot - New Video Card causes sysetm to random shut down during boot

Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
I just bought a Radeon HD 5770 to replace my X1950PRO. I have a Asius PK5 SE with a Core Duo 2.6 and a 450W PS. When I installed the 5770, the computer would randomly shut down without warning when booting up. It did sometimes give an error I hadn't seen before saying it could not overclock the processor. It managed to stay on long enough (it did take 3 attempts) to reset the bios to standard settings. That stopped the error but not the shutdowns. I pulled the battery and cleared the cmos. No noticeable effect. I replaced the X1950, it is still having the same problems.

Sometimes it stays on for about 4 seconds, not even getting through the POST. Sometimes it gets to the windows loading screen. It doesn't give any error beeps, just the one after the POST saying all is well.

Any thoughts? The only thing I can figure is that maybe the lack of video horsepower could of been my PSU going out, and the new card pushed it over the line.

Alkey42 on

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The same thing happened to my PSU after upgrading the video card. I had a 350w though, and it would randomly shut down or sometimes not even boot up (like physically not turn on).

Replaced it with a 600w one and it's running fine. May not be your problem, though.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Brought to a friends house, he claimed he needed to clean out his case anyway so tried his PSU/Videocard. It wouldn't even boot with his card. It wouldn't boot using a linix disk he had. Tried pulling the memory and video card. It gave the expected error codes, but still shut itself down. We ended up deciding it was either mobo or processor. New i5 combo ordered from newegg.

Alkey42 on