As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Daoc] Classic EMU server, Uthgard!

DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
So, I was rolling around the internets looking to see how vanguard was doing etc etc, and i stumbled across the FOH forums and found a thread dedicated to daoc classic EMU. Needless to say , free daoc ? F yeah. As far as i can tell this is legal they are using their own net code and are doing their own updates. i pm'd a gm but got no response so im going to assume this thread will be ok.

So the specifics of the server are its classic Daoc. Shrowded isles, Trials of atlantis, catacombs and labryinth of the minotaur are disabled, though you can still play the SI classes some of them aren't implimented and or aren't working right. There is no botting allowed, dont even log in a 2nd account to trans equipment they will ban you almost immediatly. So therefore there aren't any buffbots either. Pretty decent population too at peak times around 800+. this is a "German" server but there are tons of english speakers so its not a problem.

This is the how to connect guide.
http://www.uthgard.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=69&lang=en

this is the link to the Daoc Portal http://www.dolserver.net/products/daocportal/

Its pretty easy set up just download the 14day free trial file wich is the full game 4.5 gigs or so follow the instructions and it should be a pretty painless setup. You do not have to have an actual account with Mythic.
Once you log into the Daocportal app and choose a realm that login / password info will only let you log into that realm so you will have to set up another login / password if you want to play the other realms.

I am currently playing on the midgard side, i have a lvl 13 Thane, though im more then willing to play on any of the realms

PLAYERS
Draeven = Praetorian lvl 32 Thane, Crematorian lvl 1 berzerker(alt)
Korodullin = Melaide lvl 30 skald
CorriganX = Hypnotic Spirit master lvl ?? , Inspiring shaman lvl ??
Ninjapirate = Thrang Healer lvl ??
Players that dont post on the forums/
Hagriid lvl 30+ Warrior
Flyingrugg lvl 25+ skald
Rainfaill lvl 15 warrior

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Draeven on

• buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Brings back memories.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Any idea if the populations of the three factions are somewhat similar or is this classic in the sense that it is horribly imbalanced in that way?

I love me some DAoC, just curious how that's going or if they are addressing it in any way.

Karrmer on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Generaly all 3 sides have about the same population though it seems Albion is fairly popular. Though Midgard seems to have DF alot. I would say its a toss up, since you can make 3 accounts and play on all 3 factions so I think its pretty even.
    Though there are quite a few differences, thidranki is the 40 to 45 bg, the low level battle ground is braemar and th level range for that is 20 to 35 wich is just obscene, so I haven't actualy done any RVR action just been grinding camp bonus xps and equipment.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't remember, are the dragon zones still like they are now on live? I HATE that they did that

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Should be noted that the download link for DAoC Portal on the Uthgard connect guide is busted. Get it from here instead.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it goes down from time to time, though generaly it comes back up shortly.

Draeven on

edited May 2011
    No, I mean it's the wrong URL and has since been changed.

Anyway I started playing, first on a Friar to get back used to the controls and now on a Skald. I miss the old split but single window chatbox.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hm, must've set something up incorrectly, when I finish creating my character I'm returned to an empty list.

Glal on
    edited May 2011
    What class are you trying to roll? Also do you have the Classic patch installed?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited May 2011
    Was trying to make a Warrior Minotaur on the right-most realm. I take it that's an invalid choice?
    I did download the Classic patch and activated/applied it in the mod tool. Not watched the instruction video though, I probably should as they might've omitted a step.

Glal on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, you can't make Minotaurs here.

Some classes aren't implemented either, like the Necromancer Albion-side and the Bonedancer is broken according to general chat in-game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited May 2011
    Aww, I wanted to recreate my D&D character and be a large bullman smashing mens with huge hammer. :(

Glal on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    emu.JPG

Emu server, finally, what i always wanted in a game.:winky:

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited May 2011
    I'm in my mid 20s with my thane but have been considering rolling up a zerker, got some decent gear in the bank for him. Let me know some names and i can help you out with a bit of cash etc. Have some weapons etc sitting in my bank that i dont need anymore.

Draeven on

edited May 2011
    I'm on Melaide right now, a level 9 Skald.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited May 2011
    I have the next 2 days off, so ill be playing off and on all weekend for sure.

Draeven on

• The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's kind of funny, Draeven, I've been curious about Vanguard myself.

I'd try this out with you, but I have to set up boot camp on my Mac first, and I'm far too lazy to do that.

The Sneak! on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Daoc is one of the games I really regret not playing. How has it aged? I have no nostalgia for it so I'm wondering if its even worth playing when I'm currently into Rift.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    Its free so hell yeah its worth playing :d also its aged pretty good, this is classic in the loosest sense of the word. They ahve disabled some things, xps work a little differnt then on live, some mob spots aren't as packed as they used to be, dungeans are set up a little differnt. Battle grounds aren't the appropriate level etc.

Draeven on

edited May 2011
    Daoc is one of the games I really regret not playing. How has it aged? I have no nostalgia for it so I'm wondering if its even worth playing when I'm currently into Rift.

If you've played WoW, it borrowed a lot of subtle mechanisms from how DAoC controlled, along with a couple of the mechanics. But for the most part it's a pre-WoW game and it feels it. Aside from a few quests, the majority of the game is mob grinding. Most classes can solo, but few are good at it and grouping is still the fastest way to the top.

By modern standards combat's extremely slow and plodding, but the PvP/RvR was pretty much the best, since the game was designed around RvR being the end-game in place of raiding.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited May 2011
    Hey, mel if you see hagriid on tgell him my keyboard is borked, and i can't get a new one tell tomorrow, i don't have daoc set up on my wifes laptop. So can't play anymore tonight.

Draeven on

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was attempting to play, but every one of my old friends that used to play with me declined. :( I can't level my aug shammie solo. Guess its time to roll up a thane or spiritmaster.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited May 2011
    hell, ill roll a berzerker alt for you corriganX, toss me your name and ill help you level up. I prolly got some gear in the bank you could use. we have also been setting up a chat group to kinda use a our own "group" chat even if we aren't the same level. Of course not paying attention to what trainer i went to i manged to turn my zerker into a skald, so im going to have to reroll him so next time im on im gonna have to transfer gear again :(

Draeven on

edited May 2011
    Spoooo, we really need a healer, doesn't matter shaman or actual healer.
    we got a small dedicated group of people with a healer we would be wrecking faces.

Draeven on

• ErragalErragal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I might be interested in playing a bit(And I like healing). When do you guys usually play/how often?

Erragal on
    edited May 2011
    me and melaide play every day we got an ingame warrior named hagriid who is the same way, and then another skald from ingame who plays everyday. When i have nights off were usualy play at night, Say 5pm cst to 10pm , it all depends on the day really.

Draeven on

edited May 2011
    I'll try and get it installed/running t'nite and try it out.

Been a long time since I played, got to a level 28 or so Thane WAY back before even the first DAOC expansion. Wish the midgard healers weren't so lame sounding, maybe it plays better than it sounds :)

Erragal on
  • NinjaPirateNinjaPirate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay wow, This thread excites me. I used to play DAoC all the time before Warhammer came out. I always had thoughts about going back and playing but this seals it. I hope to see you all in game.

NinjaPirate on
    edited May 2011
    Just let me know what your names are, there are alot of differencs to actual classic , i would say its 10 times easier to duo / small group in this game compared to real classic, all the dungeons aren't as packed with mobs as they used to so are easier to navigate and clear.
    Honestly play what you want man, no big deal.

Draeven on

edited May 2011
    I'll prolly end up a Shaman or a Healer just because I like playing support classes. I was wrong though: I actually played a Champion back in the day. What is the Midgard equivalent debuffing class? Just curious if they even have a similar one.

Erragal on
    edited May 2011
    hmmm, id have to t hink about that for a bit, i don't know what classes cross over so to speak.
    for some reason when i play a skald it kind of reminds me of what a champion plays like

Draeven on

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wow, i totally miss DAoC. if i had time i'd fire this up without a second thought.

also, healers are very strong support classes that can solo pretty easy. they were one of the most popular classes on the co-op server mid side. which is the only side.

Feldorn on
    edited May 2011
    Gonna make a healer, but oh man do I wanna play a friar. Wish it were mid, that class is my perfect support class.

Erragal on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    friar is a damn awesome class.

i always liked the lore, landscape, and feel of midgard over albion and disneyland.

Feldorn on
    edited May 2011
    Is warlock a decent class? They get some heals and debuffs at the same time, could be neat. Trying to find if they work with the classic patch.

EDIT: NM found a list of non-allowable classes.

albion:
    necromancer
    heretic

hibernia:
    bainshee
    vampiir

midgard:
    valkyrie
    warlock

Erragal on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm playing Hypnotic, a spiritmaster, and Inspiring, my shaman. Almost level 5 on both! D:

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited May 2011
    Nice man, ill log in here in a second, i got some money on my thane i can hook you up with not alot of cloth though . Also as a side note you are playing those classes at seperate times right ? people get banned for two boxing / botting all the time.

Draeven on

edited May 2011
    My apologies guys: I'm going to pass on DaoC for the time being. I made my healer last night, then noticed the free Vanguard play time...and well I'm going to take advantage and try that out to get my MMO fix. I might still check this out if the Vanguard population is completely unviable though.

Erragal on
    edited May 2011
    Well at least this is free and should be going for a while, use your 45 days :d

Draeven on

• NinjaPirateNinjaPirate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are there any classes that you guys are needing in your core group? I know you mentioned a healer earlier but it looks like that a couple of people already made some. I love to play anything but casters. So Healer or Melee would be cool if you guys need something.

NinjaPirate on
This discussion has been closed.