As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney Princesses

2»

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I get the impression it's down with the foot touching the ground inside the dress skirt
    but then I guess the shadow on the beginning of the lower section doesn't make sense

Tam on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I assumed her knee was fully bent and her foot was drawn up under her, because then the legs hint at frogginess.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oooh hey that makes lot of sense
    it makes sense like the federal mint

Tam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love this pikktar, but I think her left upper arm (facing us) is a bit too thin, and a bit too curved.

Still, it's effing beautiful.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this is really good wak.

*poof dissapear*

PROX on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haha yeah the other leg just isn't in there yet. Wanted to render out the ground and dress without it getting in the way so its on a different layer.

Nightdragon, yup! I noticed that yesterday when doing the hands.

Prox, thanks :p

The picture is almmmmmost done. I'll have it finished today hopefully.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey wak. You have another livestream channel? The one I could find didn't have any videos and I'd like to learn about your technique.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Welp, still working on these.

Trying to make the fishy bits bend more realistic.
    merm.jpg

Also, for some reason I just cannot get this picture to look better
    frogs2.jpg

Same thing with this one. There are just a few things I know look off but can't quite seem to fix them.
    silentworld.jpg

(our right) eye on this one is weird
    zemotion.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heres a quick crit off of what I see at first..

The 'fish' side of ariel doesn't feel weighted on the rock. Its almost in-between like she's either sitting or leaning but not committed to either. I think emphasizing a little more compression where she's leaning may help. Its tricky cause the overall pose is very vertical, which I think is also going to make it hard if not possible to get her tail fins in the picture without running them off the page. The nearest arm is borderline long as well, as least to where you've sorta indicated the hand. I'd also maybe pinch her in a little at the waist on one side give or take as both side feel a little too symmetrical. Face and hair are great though. I'd probably find a way to introduce a few more cools into the picture as overall its a bit too warm.

The princess and the frog one(didn't see it, don't know the name, throw away disney film imo) has too many diagonals in it which make it feel like she's about to tip over. Without some sort of counterpoint on the right hand side of the picture to balance it, thats what's happening. She also feels very tall, mostly because we don't have an impression of where her bottom is actually contacting a surface. If I imagine the figure underneath she's gotta have a super long torso. The near arm also feels a little noodly with having the elbow and/or a straight to balance out the curvature. The lack of environment also makes it tricky to place and balance some things.

The forest piece is nice and probably one of my favorites I've seen from you. The one thing that jumps out to me is that the brightest bright is behind her head.. which makes me look there instead of her. Its also surrounded by a lot of dark which sorta punches a hole in the composition a little bit. Maybe play that brightness down? I think even if you did that a little it would help play up the strong diagonal of light you have in the rest of the piece.

All of these comments are based of quick first impressions that jump out at me so take them with a grain of salt. I'm surprised I actually typed this much lol.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    My instinct on Tiana (the frog) is to turn the knee/foot on the ground out a bit, they seem oddly in profile and flat. Ariels tail maybe is getting hurt by getting so squashed in the corner. Some fish cant bend quite a bit, so it depends on what you are going for, but I think you could bend the section before it enters the water back to the left a bit.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ariel: The rock looks too dry, likewise I think Ariel could benefit from some slick, wet detailing on her tail at the very least. The seashell bra needs some darker shadows where it is pressed up against her skin though, it looks a bit painted on.

Can I tell you how much I love her hair though? Like, hells of soft, silky and shiny.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Aye thanks all. I agree with all the points made and will try to fix them. just at that point where no matter how long I paint I just can't seem to get anything done. Frustratingggggg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also since its a new page

wet.jpg

gonna work on the weight shifting right now though.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    looks pretty damn snazz

i might suggest making her fin a bit scaley, cause fight now waist down looks more like a serpent

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the knee and ankle could use a little work. The knee seems a touch rounded on the cap, and the ankle needs a touch more wrinkling in the back.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mulaaaaan!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Widow Tweed! Widow Tweed!

No! Penny the orphan. Oh! You could do Jenny Foxworth, Penny, and Lilo, with Olive, Rufus, and Stitch in tow.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    Ok, I cleaned out all of that Australian nonsense and the Wolverine stuff too. I think we trampled on Wakkawa's thread enough there. To be clear, Wolverine is Canadian. Hugh Jackman is Australian. Kylie Minogue is hot and so are all of these pictures of the Disney princesses that Wakk has been making.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mulaaaaan!

Tam on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wakka, just wanted to add that I'm pretty damn impressed. My daughter really liked the one of Ariel.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Mulaaaaan!

F87 on
  • Options
    ImriayldeImriaylde Registered User regular
    So I'm going through my google reader, and this pops up, and I'm all "...I swear I've seen these before..."

http://www.geekologie.com/2011/10/realistic-disney-princess-digital-painti.php

Awesome work, Wakkawa, probably shoulda said that ages ago :).

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    don't read the comments. My god.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:

1> i came in here hoping for more sweet sweet wakka arts(despite his recent update in the doodle thread), they make me want to draw (albeit poorly)
    2> yeah they are approaching youtube levels of intelligence in those comments

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:

That's the equivalent of saying "Don't push the red button".

So I read the comments and D:

I swear 80% of the internet came from areas where school was really more of an optional thing.

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    Arials' fish part is looking really realistic, almost disturbingly so. Great lighting on her too, that big highlight on her belly really blends the human/fish parts well.

Awesome work as always.