As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW][Chat] 4.2 today! And there was much rejoicing.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I fucking hate Earth Elementals. I know Shamans drop them for bonus DPS but they fucking taunt everything like assholes. They completely fucked up Al'Akir for me last night. I couldn't control the adds because of fucking Earth Elementals.

Wait what? What shaman drops that instead of a Strength of Earth totem? That totem goes to helping the tank.

I play a shaman because aside from being awesomely self-sufficient, they fulfill my favorite role - general support.

Henroid on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Well it's 25 man, so the bonus from SoE is covered somewhere by someone else.

JustinSane07 on
  • JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I fucking hate Earth Elementals. I know Shamans drop them for bonus DPS but they fucking taunt everything like assholes. They completely fucked up Al'Akir for me last night. I couldn't control the adds because of fucking Earth Elementals.

Why in the hell is a shaman dropping the Earth elemental. If they are dropping an elemental for dps it needs to be fire. Or have I missed something the past 5 years with my shaman?

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Regarding the Cross-Realm Dungeon Finder thing - I don't know. I usually don't have a problem with Blizzard's microtransactions but this one just seems dumb. How many people actually wanted this enough that they'd pay for it? It doesn't feel like an "extra" in the same way name changing or server transfers do.

But eh, I wasn't going to use it anyways so I don't really care.

For company that basically can buy the US if it wanted too, I'm not really sure why they want to charge for these services.

Yeah sure, it costs money to do it... don't I already pay for the game and access to its features? Oh well I guess, I probably won't be paying $2 to do this, $2 to chat with my guild, $2 to access the AH or my mail with my phone, $2 per slot extra.

I never thought Blizzard would have the balls to charge $30 a month for a subscription for access to the game like Sony tried to do with FF online. $5 for an account fees per month, $15 for the subscription! :rotate:

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Stoneskin totem, then. Add some armor. It's not a lot but Jesus, it's beneficial and doesn't fuck up the tank's hold on enemies.

Henroid on
    edited May 2011
    Oh, I keep forgetting - So, I got my rogue to WotLK content finally. He was getting his ass kicked, and I figured it was just because he didn't have the gear appropriate for it. But even after I got him geared up, he's getting his ass kicked REALLY hard still. I mean, moreso than my mage was. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

Henroid on
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did the hate/hope/happy thread die a death? I'm failing to find it.

Ah, well, this is general waheyness anyhow:

Interesting last week of raiding last, uh, week. We've had iffy attendance thus far so we've been running two ten-mans periodically rather than a single 25-man. On Thursday we were able to just about scrape together 25 after our break, so we picked up halfway through BoT. Ascendant Council went... interestingly. My DK tank buddy disconnected right at the start of phase 2. Somehow I managed to pick up both of 'em, and after some great healing by the heal corps, I stayed alive and the boss went down.

The DK tank never returned that night. We pressed on clearing the Cho'gall trash wondering what to do (we were losing a couple more people in the process). Scraped together 24, but no extra tank; one of our DPS volunteered to swap to his tank alt. Someone in guild piped up that they were free to fill the 25th slot just before we pulled, so we said we'd pull to get a feel for it while they headed over here, since we were ready to go.

Unexpectedly, we downed him with 24. And it was one of our smoothest kills.

Finally, just to put the tin lid on all this, fast forwarding to Monday, where we had a full 25 near raid start, but still no DK tank to fill the third tank role for progression Nef attempts. One of our healers filled in and did adequately; we had a new phase 2 tactic which we were trying out, and it was looking effective, but the kill wasn't happening. The following day, though, we had ourselves that third tank, and we had ourselves those 25 people, and we *FINALLY* had ourselves that kill!

On a leeetle bit of a high now, but straight back into the thick of things today, with the reset; will probably be experimenting with Chim and maybe Maloriak heroics (Halfus we're unlikely to have a fourth-tank option available to us, which could alleviate the rush at the start of the fight)

mattclem on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh, I keep forgetting - So, I got my rogue to WotLK content finally. He was getting his ass kicked, and I figured it was just because he didn't have the gear appropriate for it. But even after I got him geared up, he's getting his ass kicked REALLY hard still. I mean, moreso than my mage was. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

What spec?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

What spec?

Combat. It's neat that Killing Spree is pretty much my auto-kill button (everything dies when I use it right at the start of a fight), but seriously I'm taking 700 damage per hit from mobs, 1k from spells, with barely 8k HP.

Henroid on
  • SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you are taking about the Hellboars.. they are a bitch when you first hit HFP, since they have a thorns sorta deal and its a pain. But now with recuperate, it shouldnt matter much anymore. Other than the hellboars tho, i didnt have much issues with my rogue and this was when it wasnt nerfed.

Sammich on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I did it on all three of my rogues I would just look for the loners and other wise avoid everything with stealth but then I did all three back at the end of wrath before the 4.0 patch hit

Brainleech on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah stuff hits hard at the beginning of Wrath content. It's not just you. Going back to opening from Stealth with CS helps a lot.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Also eat buff food if you're not already for the extra stam.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    So last night before I went to sleep I accidentally sold my tanking sword. Then I sold my shield this morning.

Both scrolled off of buyback due to gray trash.

Herp derp is me.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tried heroic chimmy again last night -- dedicated the whole night to him.

WHY THE HELL CAN WE NOT FIND DPS FOR OUR GUILD???

We got him to 5% three times... all three times with 24 people because our dps are the most unreliable things in the world. We are also having crap loads of tank deaths throughout the fight -- I am not one of the tank healers so I'm not sure what the problem with it is. I LoH the one that will get creamed right when feud starts so he is maxed and then I pop the occasional him on him while I am getting the raid healed up but we seem to lose at least one tank every other feud and then randomly in the normal phase of the fight.

I'm not sure if the tank healers dont know who to keep up when or what is going on

ToddJewell on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah stuff hits hard at the beginning of Wrath content. It's not just you. Going back to opening from Stealth with CS helps a lot.

Yeah, this. I had the same issue with my Rogue (who was also combat).

Start of Wrath can be rough on squishy classes.

shryke on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ToddJewell wrote: »

We got him to 5% three times... all three times with 24 people because our dps are the most unreliable things in the world. We are also having crap loads of tank deaths throughout the fight -- I am not one of the tank healers so I'm not sure what the problem with it is. I LoH the one that will get creamed right when feud starts so he is maxed and then I pop the occasional him on him while I am getting the raid healed up but we seem to lose at least one tank every other feud and then randomly in the normal phase of the fight.

I'm not sure if the tank healers dont know who to keep up when or what is going on

Its a tough fight. We still stack our raid to down him. We still have problems with that fight and we just roflstomped hmagmaw last night. P2 seems to just last forever and we usually have almost everyone dead when we do down him. If there is one fight for healers to understandably go Emo on its this one.

Jubal77 on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Attention moonkin: if you don't have whatever glyphed to get rid of the knockback and proceed to fuck up all my pulls, you don't get to complain about dying after you steal all of the aggro.

Oh, typhoon? I've got it glyphed. See, I'm a GOOD moonkin, Arivia.
    Until you're in a raid and you're asked to knock back Magmaw parasites, Cho'gall bloods, Poison Protocol slimes, etc.

forty on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The proc on Dragon's Wrath is pretty awesome.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Stoneskin totem, then. Add some armor. It's not a lot but Jesus, it's beneficial and doesn't fuck up the tank's hold on enemies.

Because surely a 25 man raid wouldn't have a paladin running devotion aura, that would be silly!

Not as silly as throwing down an earth elemental on a boss who isn't taunt immune and isn't in the process of wiping you, but silly nonetheless.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited May 2011
    Arkady wrote: »

Because surely a 25 man raid wouldn't have a paladin running devotion aura, that would be silly!

Not as silly as throwing down an earth elemental on a boss who isn't taunt immune and isn't in the process of wiping you, but silly nonetheless.

... I'll devote YOUR aura. :evil:

Henroid on
    edited May 2011
    Sammich wrote: »
    If you are taking about the Hellboars.. they are a bitch when you first hit HFP, since they have a thorns sorta deal and its a pain. But now with recuperate, it shouldnt matter much anymore. Other than the hellboars tho, i didnt have much issues with my rogue and this was when it wasnt nerfed.

Hellboars in Northrend?!
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, this. I had the same issue with my Rogue (who was also combat).

Start of Wrath can be rough on squishy classes.

Ah, okay. I thought I was doing something horribly wrong. Now I know I'm not alone! Thanks guys.

Henroid on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Not knowing who to keep up could be a problem, our tanks call it out even though it's fairly obvious. (The one without break should be eating double attacks.) They also 100% have to be cooldowning at the appropriate times; unmitigated double attacks during fued = tank asplode. They might also need a "stam set" just for this role depending on gear level. Do you have a WoL link you could post or PM to me?

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited May 2011
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0fgxnmah1x2zk1m4/

That is all 16 attempts from last night. We raid 2 nights a week 8-11 mtn [7-10 server]. Heroic Chimmy will be our second heroic kill, halfus went down a long time ago [nefarian we havent done on 25 man, but got him on 10 to open up heroics].

ToddJewell on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Not knowing who to keep up could be a problem, our tanks call it out even though it's fairly obvious. (The one without break should be eating double attacks.) They also 100% have to be cooldowning at the appropriate times; unmitigated double attacks during fued = tank asplode. They might also need a "stam set" just for this role depending on gear level. Do you have a WoL link you could post or PM to me?
    All this. Also, Todd, whom are you beaconing? If the issue is that you're losing the Feud tank, you might want to consider switching your beacon to the non-current tank during normal phases so that he gets a bunch of bonus healing from you during the Feud.

forty on
    edited May 2011
    I beacon the person in my group with the least amount of capable self healing. Some of the attempts I have switched at feud to the double attack receiver while I work on getting people up but I only tried it a few times.

My problem is that if I don't have it on a group member it makes triple group caustic and massacre recovery somewhat touchy for me.

ToddJewell on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hellboars in Northrend?!

Ah, okay. I thought I was doing something horribly wrong. Now I know I'm not alone! Thanks guys.
    I tried Dual-Specing to Subtlety but that only lasted about an hour 'til I switched back to Assassinate. It's too easy in the starter WRATH zones to pull multiple mobs by mistake, and if you do that in Subtlety you're in heaps of trouble. It's pretty much a spec intended to slaughter individuals in PVP but not fight 2-3 Undead Vikings. Luckily the cooldown on Vanish these days is nearly non-existent.

You'll start being able to wear the Green Rogue LW set by 71, and that will solidly boost your Stamina.

Fairchild on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, your tanks definitely aren't getting topped off during Fued; There appears to only be one Paladin consistently on the tanks. With your healing setup both Pallies should be on tanks, the Priests can each get an entire group and the Druids/Shaman can split up the last 7 people. (Ignoring tanks) Put a healy Priest in each of the ranged/healer groups and have their party spread out around them, they can watch the massacre timer and queue up a PoH off themselves. Disc Priests should automatically start a second cast since our throughput is a little lower and might not get everyone above 10k. One Paladin should be in the spot where you group up for fued so he never has to move, the other should be ~6 yards away so there's minimal movement for them.

Also, I see you're using 3 "real" tanks; you only actually need 2. Because the Main Main Tank will never be tanking when Bile-O-Tron is offline, you only need someone capable of holding threat: Ret Pally with Righteous Fury or DPS DK in Blood Presence both work well. Our Ret Pally is still pulling ~15k DPS while MT, so that's a big chunk of extra damage there.

Your Disc Priests also need to be bubble spamming harder in the end phase, since they're the only ones saving the raid from the dot. (We end up around 15k hps in that phase) Your Priests may just be running dry on mana though, see if anyone at all can feed them innervates, Mana Tide, rotate Hymn of Hope for the Mana Pool boost, etc. Anything at all to get a few more bubbles out. They should also ignore healers, and the folks highest on threat that don't have a threat drop, since a bubbles not going to save them from having their face bitten off by the boss. Also have the high threat people spread out to buy you a few more seconds of DPS, just little things.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I have a new PC on the way. What's the cheapest way to get into WoW and get all (or most) of the expansions? Can you buy used copies and still play the game?

Magic Pink on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was racking my brain trying to remember what I did with my Rogue at 68ish to help Henroid.. and I recalled I leveled via PVP battlegrounds with Heirlooms to 80. Whoops. :)

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was racking my brain trying to remember what I did with my Rogue at 68ish to help Henroid.. and I recalled I leveled via PVP battlegrounds with Heirlooms to 80. Whoops. :)
    Use Vanish a lot, would be my suggestion. Keep lots of bandages on hand.

Fairchild on
    edited May 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Hellboars in Northrend?!

I tried Dual-Specing to Subtlety but that only lasted about an hour 'til I switched back to Assassinate. It's too easy in the starter WRATH zones to pull multiple mobs by mistake, and if you do that in Subtlety you're in heaps of trouble. It's pretty much a spec intended to slaughter individuals in PVP but not fight 2-3 Undead Vikings. Luckily the cooldown on Vanish these days is nearly non-existent.

You'll start being able to wear the Green Rogue LW set by 71, and that will solidly boost your Stamina.

Yeah I've taken a trip to Outland to grind out some skinning for the mats to get myself to 350 LW (only needed 15 points to go). The last 20 points or so in any profession for the TBC phase are total shit. Then you spill over into WotLK and you can zoom well into it early on. Especially if you have enough money to buy your initial skillups. I did this on a recent warrior with smithing. Not only did he look rad with all the armor, but it held him through well and all those quest rewards helped make the money back I had spent.

Henroid on
    edited May 2011
    My Death Knight was wearing the crafted Adamantine Armor set when he hit Northrend, which looked pretty stupid since the chestplate only protects the nipples and he's running around the frozen continent not wearing much more than a cut-off t-shirt. He'd catch his death of cold if he weren't already, well, dead.

Fairchild on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So I have a new PC on the way. What's the cheapest way to get into WoW and get all (or most) of the expansions? Can you buy used copies and still play the game?

The game is free, subscribing and upgrading to expansion subscription levels is what costs money. I don't know what the going rate for upgrading your account online is offhand though, so it might be cheaper to just go for the Battle Chest right off the bat and then upgrade as you get to each level boundary.

Opty on
  • sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Opty wrote: »

The game is free, subscribing and upgrading to expansion subscription levels is what costs money. I don't know what the going rate for upgrading your account online is offhand though, so it might be cheaper to just go for the Battle Chest right off the bat and then upgrade as you get to each level boundary.

I would recommend just buying all the expansions right off the bat, which unlocks the catacylysm races, skills, and the ability to fly in azeroth. I did what Opty suggested right around when cata came out and felt kind of dumb not having access to archaeology (not that its fun), or the ability to fly in the "old world" (which is foolish not to have)

sassfactor4 on
    edited May 2011
    I just saw some poor bastard riding around HFP on a ground-mount. How do you not have the money to learn flying these days?

Henroid on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Flying in the old world is great for 80-85 but it's worthless for 1-60 since you can't even use it.

However not having access to 4 races and 1 class is a bigger deal.

JustinSane07 on
    edited May 2011
    I just saw some poor bastard riding around HFP on a ground-mount. How do you not have the money to learn flying these days?

Spent it on tradeskills instead?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I hit 60 and have no cash on my alt from leveling alchemy as I went (not that i spent money at the AH but didn't get it returned to me via herbalism)

sassfactor4 on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Opty wrote: »

I would recommend just buying all the expansions right off the bat, which unlocks the catacylysm races, skills, and the ability to fly in azeroth. I did what Opty suggested right around when cata came out and felt kind of dumb not having access to archaeology (not that its fun), or the ability to fly in the "old world" (which is foolish not to have)

So I can just download everything? I don't need to buy the discs at all?

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.