As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Cata Profession information and discussion.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Procs for Shadowspirit Diamonds and Truegold are very profitable, though, and when you consider that you are probably doubling or tripling your money by transmuting cheap volatiles into expensive ones, it's not bad at all.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It used to be sometimes a proc of 14-16 (every 4-5 days or so) then it was 2-3 every day. now it's not. I have no idea why they're so stupid.

Stocking volatiles is a good move for 4.2... they're going to be in high demand for everything.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just go to uldum and convert to air, and make serious bank with no effort.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Procs for Shadowspirit Diamonds and Truegold are very profitable, though, and when you consider that you are probably doubling or tripling your money by transmuting cheap volatiles into expensive ones, it's not bad at all.
    Unfortunately he's a long way from 525 (that's what Truegold requires, isn't it?). I don't have the meta gem transmute yet either, and I haven't looked at what it requires, so I'm curious what the difference between the mat cost and meta gem value is.

On my server, about the best it seems I can get from cheap->expensive volatile is double, which isn't bad, no, but any alchemist can do this transmute. I'm talking about the transmute spec bonus here and the value added from it, which seems to be disappointingly low.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's not as if any of the other alchemy specs are any better.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    At least the others are consistent.

forty on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can Volatile Life's be converted by some profession in 4.2 or is that something that can be done now?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Alchemy can transmute 15 volatile lifes into 14-16 of one of the other types on a one-day cooldown. I'm not sure what else shares this cooldown aside from WotLK epic gems.

forty on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shares the truegold cooldown.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Do the other Volatiles sell for about the same as the lifes? Or are they significantly more expensive?

I was thinking of adding an alchemist to my stable.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Do the other Volatiles sell for about the same as the lifes? Or are they significantly more expensive?

I was thinking of adding an alchemist to my stable.

Air sells for a butt load.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Air has never been less than double life. Right now life is 8.5g, air is 20.2.

Start stocking up on trugold now. All classes (except tanks, I think) are getting a new MH weapon. Mats are 4-5 hardened elementium, 6-8 truegold, and 5 chaos orbs. I can already make 2 of the new guns.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What level of alchemy do you need for the transmute?

edit: in the middle of a 12 hour shift and can't look it up or I would...sorry for all the questions

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What level of alchemy do you need for the transmute?

edit: in the middle of a 12 hour shift and can't look it up or I would...sorry for all the questions

Requires Alchemy (485)

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does anybody know for certain what level JC you need to get the trinket items to drop? Is it 500?

Been at 475 for a couple days and haven't seen one yet, though I recall that being the level required.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    485 is for the volatile transmute, but I don't know what the meta gem or truegold ones are as I'm only at 490 now and haven't bothered to look them up.

forty on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where is the best place to farm crazy amounts of frostweave rapidly, that isn't the AH? :)

I want to finally level up my priests tailoring..

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I was just coming to here to speak on cloth.

As to your question, if you're 85, and depending on your class, you can solo Uthgarde Keep or Pinnacle(regular, not Heroic, although I have soloed UP on Heroic but it was a slog for me) and get a lot of Frostweave cloth drops.

Or just kill lots of humanoids in Northrend.

And on my server they sell for 20+ gold a stack.

And so does....

Wool....

I was looking through my characters and on my level 23 priest, who I haven't touched in forever, I found a bank full of Netherweave, Wool, Frostweave and Linen. I put it on the AH.

As I was finishing up posting the last bit of cloth, someone was buying up the first bit of cloth I posted.

It was a lot of cloth and every bit of it sold and I only undercut on the Frostweave.

Now, low levels drop wool...but what level?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    18-24 level mobs was pretty much the sweet spot for Wool back in the day. I don't know if that changed with the 1-60 overhaul.

forty on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wool is the best
    and I finally maxxed Tailoring.
    Spent all my 5k gold on it.
    Now no one is buying the crap I made on the way. So sad.

I've got 5.5K gold on the AH, just getting dusty.

I need to farm Embersilk to make bags.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So a couple runs through Deadmines might do it.

I wonder if I could pull the entire instance?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    forty wrote: »
    18-24 level mobs was pretty much the sweet spot for Wool back in the day. I don't know if that changed with the 1-60 overhaul.

That's probably about right, but I did notice that they expanded the level range of each tier of cloth, and have the tiers kind of weave into each other. So instead of "level 18 stops dropping linen and starts dropping wool, full stop" it's now more like 15 and up drops linen and wool, then 25-28 drops wool and silk, et cetera

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Javen wrote: »

That's probably about right, but I did notice that they expanded the level range of each tier of cloth, and have the tiers kind of weave into each other. So instead of "level 18 stops dropping linen and starts dropping wool, full stop" it's now more like 15 and up drops linen and wool, then 25-28 drops wool and silk, et cetera
    I think it's always kind of been that way. I remember soloing Deadmines on my tailor at 60 way back in Vanilla, and I'd end up with a bunch of linen and wool.

forty on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    485 is for the volatile transmute, but I don't know what the meta gem or truegold ones are as I'm only at 490 now and haven't bothered to look them up.

Truegold is 525.
    Metagems are 525.
    Blue gems are 500-525 range I think.

And yeah, all the old WOTLK stuff is still on the transmute timer.

shryke on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    shryke wrote: »

Truegold is 525.
    Metagems are 525.
    Blue gems are 500-525 range I think.

And yeah, all the old WOTLK stuff is still on the transmute timer.

Freaking TRUESILVER is still on the timer. That royally pissed me off the other day when I was making some for my wife's alt and got locked out of Truegold for the day.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    For you people with 525 alchemists, what is the best bang for your buck (highest AH value of output product vs. cost of mats) for now? Obviously there's not much profit to be had in the rare gem transmutes given the current prices of those things. Is truegold worth a good chunk more than its mats?

If not, I guess I'll just be doing the elemental transmute for the rest of the expansion since it's worth something like 150 gold per day, give or take.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Javen wrote: »

I think it's always kind of been that way. I remember soloing Deadmines on my tailor at 60 way back in Vanilla, and I'd end up with a bunch of linen and wool.

That's true, but it's definitely been accentuated in cataclysm. Though I'm not sure if this is a byproduct or not, but runecloth seems a lot more scarce than it was. Stuff was still dropping more mageweave than runecloth in the Blasted Lands, which is a 55+ zone.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like they hosed something up in that case. It used to be once you got to EPL or whatever, the humanoids/undead were dropping nothing but Runecloth.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    For you people with 525 alchemists, what is the best bang for your buck (highest AH value of output product vs. cost of mats) for now? Obviously there's not much profit to be had in the rare gem transmutes given the current prices of those things. Is truegold worth a good chunk more than its mats?

If not, I guess I'll just be doing the elemental transmute for the rest of the expansion since it's worth something like 150 gold per day, give or take.

Hands down it's Volatile life > Air. Easily double your investment every cooldown. I'm blowing mine on Truegold, though, in preparation for the new craft-ables for 4.2.

Just remember: go to uldum for air. Sometimes I forget and kick myself when I get 16 earths cause I stayed in SW.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's been two weeks and I'm still waiting to sell the Tsunami and Volcanic decks.

Hoping they sell the closer to Darkmoon we get.

I'm sitting on 400 Volatile Life's. Any point in holding onto them until 4.2?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I flew my level 80 alchemist down to Uldum as soon as he hit 485 skill and have just been logging on him once a day for life->air, leaving him parked at the inn. Too bad Uldum is a pain in the butt to get to, and even if I ever get him to 83 for the portal, it still requires wasting a hearth to get back. Of course this would have been even worse before they added the mailbox.

forty on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's been two weeks and I'm still waiting to sell the Tsunami and Volcanic decks.

Hoping they sell the closer to Darkmoon we get.

I'm sitting on 400 Volatile Life's. Any point in holding onto them until 4.2?

I don't have any statistical evidence, but I'd suspect that decks sell for more closer to the faire while the finished trinkets sell for more the further away from the faire you are. Food for thought.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On the subject of farming wool, I used the Wetlands spot in this guide:
    http://www.wow-professions.com/farming/wool-cloth-farming

Went pretty quick for me. Tons of linen and a spot of silk, too.

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ok, Uldum farming:

Stay in the south around Tol'vir(sp?). Just loop around the city.

I used to loop around it, go up the main river, head to the left along the lake and then up the river and then up and around that mountain for the cinderbloom and so forth and so on.

I filled my bags quicker and only with whiptail if I stick to looping around Tol'vir.

I now have all four decks and am still sitting on 400+ Volatile Life.

Now please tell me about Tauren's herbing abilities. I would land be half way through tagging a node, the Tauren would land, tap the node and then I would get the "this object is already being used" message.

WTF! Is this lag? This happened consistently. There were times I was more than half way through tapping the node and I would STILL get denied.

Again...wtf

It got to where I would follow him, watch him tag a node and fly past hoping there was another close by...which there usually was.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tauren herb in .5s compared to the normal 1.5s so if they gather within that 1s timeframe then they open up the herb first. You get the "that object is already being used" error when they've got the loot window open when you try to open your loot window.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ah...that explains it.

Super annoying!

At one point there was a Tauren Mage and a Tauren Warrior in the same area...I went where they were not.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's why tauren druids are the best herbalists in the game by far.

Similarly, worgen have a racial that lets them skin super quickly.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's why tauren druids are the best herbalists in the game by far.

Similarly, worgen have a racial that lets them skin super quickly.

I made one called....

Herbihore

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God I need so much Volatile Air for my tailor mage fuck

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've got four transmute spec alchemists across four characters on my main server. Makes farming airs so much easier.

Javen on