As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was raised Baptist(Southern) and during my late teens attended a Nazarene church, became generic Protestant during my Army time, and the last couple of years of that time went agnostic. I'm effectively atheist. I can appreciate the need to have something to believe in. I believe in thermodynamics.

Weaver on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    If Jesus and God are the same person how can God know when the end of the world will happen but Jesus can't.

Had his corpus callosum severed.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    or "hey we've just been tacking story on top of story ever since Zoroaster and now we're kinda fucked because keeping several thousand years worth of lies straight is really hard."

Weaver on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Collaborative fiction was still a new thing back then.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    BYToady wrote: »

They tots needed a wiki tablet.

Seriously religion does not work in the presence of open information access.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    If Jesus and God are the same person how can God know when the end of the world will happen but Jesus can't.

let me explain how the trinity works

You see, you've got God, right?

And then you've got Jesus, his begotten and only son.

But they're both God.

Then you've got this ghost, he's a Holy ghost.

But it's also God.

It's all GOD. GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD.

basically, yeah!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keith wrote: »

let me explain how the trinity works

21nfxno.jpg

Dogma this

:^::^::^::^::^::^::^::^:

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    or "hey we've just been tacking story on top of story ever since Zoroaster and now we're kinda fucked because keeping several thousand years worth of lies straight is really hard."

nononono do not bring that stupid zeitgeist shit in here

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I remember a Sunday school teacher telling me, when I maybe five or six, that every married couple that gets to heaven gets their own place to live near god, and near all of their Christian friends from life.

*read bible* This makes no fucking sense hell no I don't want to spend eternity floating around the throne of god singing his praises that is ass.

Christianity has the worst afterlife myth of all time.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    BYToady wrote: »

They tots needed a wiki tablet.

Seriously religion does not work in the presence of open information access.

nah, it just evolves the same way it has with every new cultural upheaval for the past ten thousand years

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    best afterlife myth: mahayana buddhism

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

conflation of the divine vs. god

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I never saw that flick.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This Rapture and Tribulation shit is all a ruse to keep our attention away from the real issues.

Like Swamp Apes and Alien Human farmers.

Don't you see, people? America is the world's largest feed lot and the Swamp Apes are the secret Muslim middlesquatches who have sold out humanity to the Greys.

This shit isn't ending. It's too goddamn profitable for them.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I don't know what you mean by zeitgeist shit but its petty much common knowledge that early Judaism borrowed heavily from Zoroastrian mythology. I mean its not even that controversial - this is stuff you learn in basic ancient world history classes.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xehalus that was a good disclaimer you put in the OP. Pity it won't make a lick of difference.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    t Pip, I really don't want spend my night looking up everything from the last time I talked about this a couple years ago, but it's basically very very early Judaism pilfering from Zoroastrianism and then doing their own thing and then pre-Christ stuff then the shit hit the fan in Europe and they invented hell and the devil and it really takes a long time to go through. It's a thousands of years long fan-fic sold as truth. Believe it if you want. I'd love it is Tzeentch was real. I'd become some fiery bird abomination in an instant. It just isn't real.

edit: Firmskater knows what's up.

Weaver on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    This Rapture and Tribulation shit is all a ruse to keep our attention away from the real issues.

Don't you see, people? America is the world's largest feed lot and the Swamp Apes are the secret Muslim middlesquatches who have sold out humanity to the Greys.

Reptilians

They're living among us already

Fighting in our...tournaments

Scudo on
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    For most of my childhood I lived in constant fear of the rapture, because the people in my church were always like "we are in the end times! it could happen at any moment!"

I'm glad I'm not with that church anymore.

This was me also for the better part of my child hood. Being pastors son. Well, I learned some good lessons that I can say kept me from doing life altering stuff. But still, didn't like the whole. The end times are here. Then when the year 2000 rolled around we get "GOD IS SHOWING MERCY. OVERTIME! GRACE PERIOD"

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes I wonder if humanities "Rapture" is a subtle way in that we all wish some magical entity would put us out of our misery already.

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Jesus and God aren't the same person, unless you're a modalist.

You're not a dirty, heathen modalist, are you, Skater?

Also, if I don't have to work I'm totally throwing a rapture party Saturday.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    t Pip, I really don't want spend my night looking up everything from the last time I talked about this a couple years ago, but it's basically very very early Judaism pilfering from Zoroastrianism and then doing their own thing and then pre-Christ stuff then the shit hit the fan in Europe and they invented hell and the devil and it really takes a long time to go through. It's a thousands of years long fan-fic sold as truth. Believe it if you want. I'd love it is Tzeentch was real. I'd become some fiery bird abomination in an instant. It just isn't real.

what no

just

no

early judaisim borrowed from zoroastionism yeah that's corretc

but the council of nicea is when the bible was compiled, hell is described a few times(although it's described as either complete separation of the divine or a place where you are seared), and seriously you're doing the "atheism deal w/it" shit?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Love how phophets & such completely vanished when news reports became common between towns & cities.

You mean that crazy yelling guy is crazy?

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea what being a modelist is I just always thought that Jesus was God and God is omniscient so through ~the transitive property~ Jesus was omniscient.

I'm probably wrong but really I don't care.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Love how phophets & such completely vanished when news reports became common between towns & cities.

You mean that crazy yelling guy is crazy?

most prophets tended to also be in a leadership position and promised things like hope and change in various forms

sometimes they happened

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea what being a modelist is I just always thought that Jesus was God and God is omniscient so through ~the transitive property~ Jesus was omniscient.

you should probably not post then?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Weaver are you drunk

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    MUCH UNLIKE PRESIDENT OBUMMER

~end the fed~
    ~~!infowars.com!~~

vomitfrog.gif

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Sir, I'm under direct orders to never stop posting.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Sir, I'm under direct orders to never stop posting.

thetans only :emostern:

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

what no

just

no

early judaisim borrowed from zoroastionism yeah that's corretc

but the council of nicea is when the bible was compiled, hell is described a few times(although it's described as either complete separation of the divine or a place where you are seared), and seriously you're doing the "atheism deal w/it" shit?

I'm not doing any kind of atheism d.wi shit. I'm talking from the perspectives that led me to agnosticism, and now I'm at the point where heck, if there is some kind of behind the scenes force out there, I doubt it would give a shit about my differentiation between agnostic and atheist.

It's 10pm, and I don't want to spend the night arguing religious history. I would argue recorded history, you would argue belief history with selective recorded history. We did this once before about three years ago I think it was. It never ended. I don't want to do it again.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    goonfleet

which is even spergier I guess

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Scudo wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »

Reptilians

They're living among us already

Fighting in our...tournaments

Don't forget about the beetle warriors they will one day unleash upon the Earth.

As this secret training video demonstrates. They are not a thing to be taken lightly.
    Many brave agents of humanity lost their lives in bringing us this evidence.

Let us not forget their sacrifices.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I only care if it's bothans dying

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    islam wins

Ulises on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Modalism is the position that the Trinity is a single person exhibiting three different aspects. Orthodox trinitarianism holds that God is three persons of a single essence.

Christ's omniscience is actually a controversial topic hinging on the question of whether and, if so, to what degree, did Christ forfeit his divine attributes in the incarnation. This controversy aside, the timing of the fulfillment of prophecy is the responsibility of the Father, not Christ. Whether the oft-cited passage has more meaning to it or not (it's also cited as evidence against Christ's omniscience and therefor for his at-least partial shedding of divine attributes), it at least says that much.

Would it be insensitive to serve kool-aid at a rapture party?

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I still don't get how following the recorded history of religions building on the corpses of previous religions is "zietgeist"

Sorry I'm still waiting for my Chinese delivery to show up I've had a single Dick's hamburger to eat today.

Weaver on
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    go for a walk

Ulises on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    the internet is never boring

go find one of those amateur cam sites and troll people in chat

Weaver on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    the one forum i read w/ any regularity on sa got shutdown like less than a week ago so whoops there goes my 10bux
    They closed down a whole subforum? That seems kind of drastic. Which one was it?

Coinage on
This discussion has been closed.