As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    there's a spectrum of disorders that describes just that

I was just going to blame my parents or the pediatrician I had until I was a teenager who spoke like Agent Smith from the Matrix.

Is it something I should be medicated for?

Better-yet, is there a way for me to experience that hypnotic, blank-minded contentment without having to seek these videos out? You seem to know more than I.

it was an autism joke

"autism joke"
    "transsexual joke"

though my joke was tasteless they aren't comparable even on a diagnostic level

autism is a disability

categorizing the enormously broad spectrum of autism as a "disability" is a pretty damn normative and restrictive way of looking at things

and it almost seems like you're suggesting that it's somehow more acceptable to disparage sections of the population if you, personally, believe that their unifying feature is firmly established as a negative, which is horrifying

is it only okay to make fun of something if it is an intrinsically negative aspect of their life?

Charles Kinbote on
  • GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    awhereitgoes.gif

somebody quote me

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    there's a spectrum of disorders that describes just that

I was just going to blame my parents or the pediatrician I had until I was a teenager who spoke like Agent Smith from the Matrix.

Is it something I should be medicated for?

Better-yet, is there a way for me to experience that hypnotic, blank-minded contentment without having to seek these videos out? You seem to know more than I.

it was an autism joke

"autism joke"
    "transsexual joke"

though my joke was tasteless they aren't comparable even on a diagnostic level

autism is a disability

Austism isn't a choice, Koshian. Stop contributing to a culture where autistic children are beaten and bullied everyday.

Man, while I thought an autism joke uncalled for, this is really just a road you don't want to go down. You are better than this.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I helped raise an autistic kid for several years during my second marriage. Say what you want about my posting. When things fell apart between his mom & I he was attending normal classes at school and had all the kids in the neighborhood wanting to play with him all the time.

I'm gonna go schrodinger's cry now

Weaver on
    edited May 2011
    i just literally said my joke was tasteless and wrong.

still mostly offended that you're conflating autism and gender incongruence tho

you're free to be offended

they're both things that people make entirely inappropriate jokes about, I don't think it's a very controversial stance to equate them in that regard and that regard alone

implying that people with autism are somehow lesser than "regular" people is a privileged and normative standpoint, the exact same sort that begets racism, sexism, genderism, etc.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2011
    my little brother's autistic. he's gonna go to middle school next year. he gets in a lot of trouble at school because he has trouble reading social cues so he doesn't really know what's acceptable at times, so I'm really worried about him.

GeoMitch on
    edited May 2011
    I have a little brother that is autistic too, he got some of the spooky genius genes from my dad

and I have spent an awful lot of time with a wide range of people that qualify as autistic as a result of school & life

and I know a whole lot of people that don't suffer from any "mental disability" that are a hell of a lot more disabled than folks that qualify for this term or that term

Charles Kinbote on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone give me professional sounding fake references for a fake resume I need to write for my school.

Muse Among Men on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Personal Assistant to J.D. Salinger
    Manager at a Circuit City

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Head Ball Buster at Buster's Ball Bearings.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I also have an autistic little brother.

He threatened a girl with a pizza cutter a few years ago. Now he mostly just picks fights with his little sister and refuses to bathe.

He's sixteen. His parents still expect him to be able to function well enough to go away to college and not die.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    Weaver you are being kind of a huge goose here

I've been topical, and following the direction of the conversation. If you have a problem with my observations then you better cough something up because I'll have you in front of the DA before-

whoops

too much LA Noire

Sorry dude but you just keep bringing out thing after thing that you half-remember from Sunday School and it's kind of annoying to me!

Centipede Damascus on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Weaver you're alright, man

don't let Pip and CD get you down

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

they're both things that people make entirely inappropriate jokes about, I don't think it's a very controversial stance to equate them in that regard and that regard alone

implying that people with autism are somehow lesser than "regular" people is a privileged and normative standpoint, the exact same sort that begets racism, sexism, genderism, etc.

I don't think you understand how this works

look

it is okay for me to make insensitive jokes about things you find offensive, because it's funny

it is not okay for you to make insensitive jokes about things I find offensive, because that's hate speech, and you're a bigot

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited May 2011
    t Toss thanks

t CD I never said half remember or barely remember. I spent roughly two years reading up on histories and doing my own introspective shit before dropping faith, and if I bring fuzzy child-hood stuff into things I'll label it fuzzy. Feels like you're trying to read something into to what I was saying that I wasn't saying. Which is ok. It's the internet. It's what tends to happen.

edit: I totally typed that in my head with a crap Irish accent

Weaver on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's that whole "Autism isn't a disorder" thing that's screwing over my brother.

Every time I tell him that knowing all of the Naruto hand gestures isn't something to go around bragging about, or flipping out because a song he doesn't like came on, or that it's best to just shut up when you don't know what's going on, he has the rest of society telling him to just go with what feels right and everything will be a bunch of fluffy, giggly puppies.

Not being able to relate to society is a disorder, a thing to be overcome. It's not "just different", and it's certainly not something to be proud of.

laughingfuzzball on
    edited May 2011
    Tossrock wrote: »

I don't think you understand how this works

look

it is okay for me to make insensitive jokes about things you find offensive, because it's funny

it is not okay for you to make insensitive jokes about things I find offensive, because that's hate speech, and you're a bigot

I am new America, still learn

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2011
    It's that whole "Autism isn't a disorder" thing that's screwing over my brother.

Every time I tell him that knowing all of the Naruto hand gestures isn't something to go around bragging about, or flipping out because a song he doesn't like came on, or that it's best to just shut up when you don't know what's going on, he has the rest of society telling him to just go with what feels right and everything will be a bunch of fluffy, giggly puppies.

Not being able to relate to society is a disorder, a thing to be overcome. It's not "just different", and it's certainly not something to be proud of.

see, autism being or not being a disorder in no way relates to how appropriate those things are. It relates to how appropriate he believes those things are, but it doesn't bear on how socially acceptable they actually are, or the extent to which he should be accepted to doing them.

It is just different, but people take a very poor approach to that, and they think that "just different" means that absolutely all behavior gets a pass. Everything that anyone does is the result of being different--whether or not that has a label affixed to it is totally irrelevant in determining how one should react to it. This shit exists on a greyscale.

My brother, for instance, is much worse off than most people in a lot of ways, but in some ways he is measurably better than almost everyone, so it's not fair to say that he shouldn't be proud of what he is and is just "worse."

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2011
    half the people on this forum are transgender, the other half have autistic brothers.

we should form gangs.

GeoMitch on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the classic rivalry

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    like the Jets and the Sharks

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guys, the apocalypse is being postponed until Sunday, because my getting laid got re-scheduled.

Mortal Sky on
    edited May 2011
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    half the people on this forum are transgender, the other half have autistic brothers.

we should form gangs.

What about dissociatives?

Weaver on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

we should form gangs.

Lots of much smaller gangs?

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

we should form gangs.

what about transgenders with autistic brothers?

Melding on
    edited May 2011
    BYToady wrote: »

we should form gangs.

Lots of much smaller gangs?

One man sitting alone in an alley.

Totally experiencing the full mental anguish of a gang fight.

Then he kinda wakes up and buys groceries.

Weaver on
  • FerryFerry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    seashells and bar room floors

its all an electric showroom

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is this thread still about evangelists being crazy nutballs?

Because I still think the rapture is the biggest cop-out ever.

Oh I don't really need to take good care of the environment because, well, God's gonna sort this out and stuff, you know?

What an awful, awful way to think.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited May 2011
    Well, really it's soft of self fulfilled isn't it?

Don't need to take care of the environment because the world is going to end and all that.

Melding on
    edited May 2011
    meat jampon

you're the one who signed for it

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like those companies that sell insurance for pet care in the case of rapture.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
    edited May 2011
    you ever wonder what a shark bee keeping would look like

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
    edited May 2011
    Ferry wrote: »
    seashells and bar room floors

its all an electric showroom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fga2KSFrNp8

Weaver on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you ever wonder what a shark bee keeping would look like

Like, a shark wearing a bee keeper's mask

All hovering over a nest of bees wearing diving suits

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited May 2011
    Only all the time.

Melding on
    edited May 2011
    its hard to explain

these sharks

they got desires too

you aren't the boss of them

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited May 2011
    you're an australian bastard, did anyone ever tell you that

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
    edited May 2011
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you're an australian bastard, did anyone ever tell you that

Who, me?

No!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
This discussion has been closed.