As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I fucking called it! Besides the touch screen, what does the Nook really have over the Kindle anymore? Loaning, library borrowing, and ePub support were the only solid benefits the Nook had, and the Kindle has appropriated all three now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I fucking called it! Besides the touch screen, what does the Nook really have over the Kindle anymore? Loaning, library borrowing, and ePub support were the only solid benefits the Nook had, and the Kindle has appropriated all three now.

Admittedly nothing, and I say that as a Nook owner, but I certainly don't regret my purchase last summer, because how else was I supposed to read all those free ebooks from the library?

B&N will really need to step up their game now. What could they possibly offer that Amazon doesn't/couldn't?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, if the article I posted a couple weeks back holds true, we should find out next Wednesday.

I'm hoping it's a hell of a reveal too. Competition between these two drove massive improvements in the Kindle, and dropped the price by $200. But things have been stale for a while now, and the competition could use a kick in the pants.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A color kindle would be fantastic. Not even a tablet really, like the nook color, but maybe a new-fangled color e-ink screen instead. The technology has to be just about ready for primetime by now.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's out there already. Hanvon is releasing a 9-inch colour e-ink reader out in China, I understand as a kind of iPad competitor. Engadget has a video, and it's okay, but not great right now. For one thing, it doesn't really look like it copes with glare that well.

e: Also, the colours can hardly be described as vibrant.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like I'll still be waiting for Amazon to do it right, then.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it's probably best to wait for E-Ink to release its second gen colour screens. First gen tech is never encouraging enough.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I figure I'll upgrade with this next Kindle, and then wait until the second or third gen color e-ink comes out.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still want to know what happened to that Mirasol stuff, and the factory they built to make it.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    A color kindle would be fantastic. Not even a tablet really, like the nook color, but maybe a new-fangled color e-ink screen instead. The technology has to be just about ready for primetime by now.

It's not. At all.

Colour e-ink is a real challenge. You end up having to layer four e-ink screens (so one black, and then one each for RGB), and then you can't really mix colours. I've seen bits and pieces of prototype tech, and while it's interesting and impressive, it's just not close to viable in a product.

I think the real challenge of the technology is the refresh speed on the existing monotone screens. Getting that an order of magnitude lower would really change the potential uses of the devices.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still waiting for my A4 sized e-ink screen that costs less than a house.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still waiting for my A4 sized e-ink screen that costs less than a house.

+1. I would have bought a Kindle 20 years ago if the idea of getting one in a size I actually want at a price I would actually pay wasn't a constant hope.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am really surprised that the DX hasn't dropped in price along with the all the price drops the regular Kindle has been receiving.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am really surprised that the DX hasn't dropped in price along with the all the price drops the regular Kindle has been receiving.

And I'm really annoyed by the same thing. It's like, come on, make a Kindle DX 2 already! It would be cheaper for me to buy 3 ad supported Kindles and duct tape them together than it would be to buy a Kindle DX. That's ridiculous.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    228069_1899233075271_1074972275_32166043_3310898_n.jpg

Main reason why I'm happy I picked the kindle over nook, really

well that and the pearl e-ink screen

Alegis on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right now the only "e-reader" I would buy is the nook color because it can play video. For a pure ereader it would be a Sony because last I checked they have a big one with a lot of memory that was expandable. So I could load it with books, manuals, & PDF files. I would consider the Kindle DX when a refresh is released.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Good luck finding the Sony reader. Stock has been non existent for a while now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah it's not high on my to do list. Which is why I haven't research them in at least half a year. I was actually looking at the sub $200 android tablets on Amazon to see what I could do after rooting them and loading a rom.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel like there should be a way, and maybe I'm just not able to find it, but is there way a add books that we have read to Amazon's Recommendation system? Like when I go into the Recommendation's for You tab and go to books there is a check box that says "I own it" or "not interested". However, that is the only place I have seen those check boxes. Is that option some place else or do I just have to go through the recommendations at random?

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you use the Amazon site, as I don't have a Kindle so I don't know if you can do it through that, you can sign in and click Rate these Items which is right under the search bar and it will let you search for and rate/click "I own it" for any item. If you're looking for items you've purchased on Amazon then you can simplify this by Improve your Recommendations which will bring up every item you've purchased and has a few options on the left for items you own and other things.

khain on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    khain wrote: »
    If you use the Amazon site, as I don't have a Kindle so I don't know if you can do it through that, you can sign in and click Rate these Items which is right under the search bar and it will let you search for and rate/click "I own it" for any item. If you're looking for items you've purchased on Amazon then you can simplify this by Improve your Recommendations which will bring up every item you've purchased and has a few options on the left for items you own and other things.

Awesome. I knew there had to be something and of course it was right there in front of me.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    refurbished 2nd gen kindle 3g is woots deal today for 89.99

pretty good deal, though for 20 bucks more you can get the new kindle with deals

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yea, but the Woot 2nd Gen Kindle has 3G

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the 3rd gen Kindle isn't so nice I'd give up 3G and accept ads for $20 more.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be fair it's not only accepting ads for the $114 Kindle. They also send coupons to the device which is the Special Offers part.

An example of the kind of coupons they send (these deals have expired):
    $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
    $1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
    $10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop
    Free $100 Amazon.com Gift Card when you get an Amazon Rewards Visa Card (normally $30)
    Buy one of 30 Kindle bestsellers with your Visa card and get $10 Amazon.com credit
    50% off Roku Streaming Player (normally $99)

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yea, I love the concept of the Special Offers.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alegis wrote: »

Wow! The Engadget article has a real usage video, as opposed to the slick PR. I was impressed with how well the touchscreen worked in real life. And the redraw rate is really, really impressive. Touch-dragging a zoomed-in PDF had surprisingly little lag. I had been under the impression that the redraw speed of eInk was a result of the technology, not the slow processors employed... interesting.

I'm plenty happy with my Kindle 3, for now... but this is the first thing that's sold me on touch-based eInk. Very cool.

Edit: oooh, and the touch tech is actually infrared-based stuff built into the bezel, rather than a screen layer... so zero effect on screen clarity. And the screen is Pearl, of course.

gilrain on
  • Options
    DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    ---

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Damn, this one flew completely under my radar. With the announcement of the new Nook tomorrow, I wonder if Sony has anything in the pipeline.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    gilrain wrote: »
    Alegis wrote: »

Wow! The Engadget article has a real usage video, as opposed to the slick PR.

I have to wonder what the dude was thinking filming that on a table with a glass, reflective surface though.

As a current Kobo owner, I was wondering what the next step would be for them, and I'm glad to see they are stepping up.

Edit: Wow, Kobo Touch comes out in JUne, will cost $20 less than my second gen Kobo did at Christmas time. And the 2nd gen is price dropped.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's a pretty impressive pan speed, but flick to turn pages? bleh.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right now the only "e-reader" I would buy is the nook color because it can play video. For a pure ereader it would be a Sony because last I checked they have a big one with a lot of memory that was expandable. So I could load it with books, manuals, & PDF files. I would consider the Kindle DX when a refresh is released.

If you want to play video on a device, then the device you're looking for isn't an eReader :)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New Nook announced today, $139 on June 10th.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/index.asp

Has a lot of nice features, but also has page turn buttons. Makes me slightly regret buying the kindle 3 last week, but touchscreen on an e-book reader is not a dealbreaker for me just yet.

Musan on
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Totally beaten. Was about to post about that.

I imagine the next Kindle announcement will be incoming in a few weeks.

The faster page turn sounds nice, with less screen flash. I half expect the next eInk kindle to have Android on it, along with a LCD Tablet media device.

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If somebody doesn't make an A4 e-reader that doesn't cost six million dollars very, very soon, I'm going to grow even more frustrated. We've seen 3 Kindles, a few nooks, some Kobos, and god knows how many Sony readers, but meanwhile there is only ONE Kindle DX model. Come onnnnnnn. I want to read PDFs on a screen the size of the PDF!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If somebody doesn't make an A4 e-reader that doesn't cost six million dollars very, very soon, I'm going to grow even more frustrated. We've seen 3 Kindles, a few nooks, some Kobos, and god knows how many Sony readers, but meanwhile there is only ONE Kindle DX model. Come onnnnnnn. I want to read PDFs on a screen the size of the PDF!
    I sort of agree, but it's a niche desire. Those things are big and hefty -- not really portable outside a book bag, or something. i can see them being well-liked by students, but I'm not sure it would gain traction in a larger market. A dedicated reader would need two devices: one for carrying around, one for larger format reading around the house.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jollus wrote: »
    Totally beaten. Was about to post about that.

I imagine the next Kindle announcement will be incoming in a few weeks.

I wouldn't count on it. Kindle 3 hasn't even been out a year yet. A price drop is a lot more likely.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    while I'm posting pictures, kindle works swell enough for normal PDFs IMO when you switch orientation (aA button)

IMAG0162.jpg

problem with multi-column pdfs is that you have to scroll down and back up, a page is usually 3 kindle screens when viewed in this orientation. I don't like to print all my papers and when reading on a computer screen I'm easily distracted so this works nice for me.

Don't get the same nice result for presentation slides unfortunately as those often have a lot of white margins, causing the text inside to appear small in fit to width. An automatic solution to cut the whitespace and only zoom in on the content portion would be nice.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    E-ink on phones... yay or nay? The on issue I see based on how I use my phone is with picture taking/showing. The battery life could be tremendous though.

Skoal Cat on