As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah that Shereton Rate is crazy low. I may keep my eyes open for an opening.

tsrblke on
  • PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PinkRanger wrote: »
    FYI: In about an hour, I am cancelling 6 rooms at the Sheraton for the 24th-30th. So if you are still looking for a hotel, that will be your chance to grab one. I will edit this post right before I go do that.

Yeah, sorry. I tried to get back on here to post that they were gone, but the servers were busy. They went really fast.

So I guess you are the one I should thank for canceling :-)

Been checking constantly the last couple weeks for Sheraton openings and could never find the entire block open at once. Checked yesterday morning and there were 3 available across the entire range, snagged me one QUICK!

The other two were not far behind as I searched a little bit later and they were already gone.

Yeah, you are welcome. I booked those right off the bat and then was looking for a hotel with a government rate. The sheraton won't do one that weekend, so I looked elsewhere. Found a great price at the Homewood, which I have heard is pretty decent and not too far away, and booked my rooms there.

Anyways, cancelled my rooms and watched them go in like an hour. hehe

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I felt a little silly for getting a hotel room as I live in Kirkland, however I am hoping I get accepted to Enforce this year, and I wanted to be close in case there was a need for me to be on site early/late. I got a room at the Hotel Max, 5 blocks a way, a bit of a hike compared to others but as long as there are clean sheets and a shower I'm good to go.

Dannicus on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's also a really good sushi place attached to Hotel Max, so that's a plus.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SilverspudSilverspud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Staying at the Grand Hyatt. 1st time at PAX, 1st plane ride, and 1st time staying in a hotel rated higher than 2 stars.

Silverspud on
  • AndymanAndyman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Starting looking for a hotel room WAY to late so i had to try other venues of hotel searches. Found a deal at the Red Lion that included breakfast buffet and free parking. It's a little more expensive than it would have been with the PAX discount but the breakfast and parking more than make up for it. I'll take it!

Andyman on
  • ElspethElspeth Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Glad I am not the only local getting a hotel for the weekend. Hubby and I decided that since we have a Sounders game on Saturday and would be going on Sunday that it was better just to stay in Seattle for the weekend. I snagged a room at the Sherton before we had our 3 day passes, glad I did when I saw how fast they were going.

Elspeth on
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.
  • smallz74smallz74 Sunnyside, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First Pax event for myself and staying at the Hilton Hotel would have booked the sheraton but i delayed a bit to long :P. Looking forward to a great time 8-)

smallz74 on
    Twitter: @smallville74
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elspeth wrote: »
    Glad I am not the only local getting a hotel for the weekend. Hubby and I decided that since we have a Sounders game on Saturday and would be going on Sunday that it was better just to stay in Seattle for the weekend. I snagged a room at the Sherton before we had our 3 day passes, glad I did when I saw how fast they were going.

Ya, I didn't want to deal with having to catch the ferry

skettios on
  • polencepolence Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I guess, I'm that thrifty to stay at Sixth Ave Inn :P They gave a room for less than $120 a night, for a double queen bed (can be quadruple sharing) room. So I guess spending $70 less at least a day, compared to the other closer hotels, for that price, I'd preffer to walk 10 mins to the convention center. :P

Rooms are pretty decent for its price, it's clean, quiet, free wifi and afforadable. I don't mind site seeing, it's a bit closer to the Space Needle, Pike Place Market and the cheaper restaurants.

polence on
  • NickDynmoNickDynmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Had a reservation for double occupancy, one bed at the Sheraton, just changed it to two queen beds at the Red Lion. It's cheaper (especially since you don't have to pay for internet in the room), looks very nice, and is still only one block farther away.

For anyone who has stayed there before, is the wifi completely bogged down and slow during PAX, or is it actually not that bad? I would imagine everyone's trying to use it at once...

EDIT: Sorry for apparently killing this thread :(

NickDynmo on
    edited June 2011
    For people still looking for a decent, clean and cheap place for PAX. James Mann the social media master of Sixth Avenue Hotel and it's sister hotels is going to hook you up for a PAX forum special rate of $140, as long as rooms are still available.^_^ Just "like" the Sixth Avenue Inn and message James about the PAX forum special.^_~

Rooms for Friday and Saturday PAX days are almost gone, so I hope you guys can still get a room.^_^

polence on
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We will ba staying at the Best Western Loyal on 8th Ave and Bell, because we are doing this a cheap as possible and they were the closest that I could use my air miles at. Looking at a map they seem to be only about 8 blocks from the Convention Center. However I am wondering if locals could tell me if this is easlily walkable, or if there are handy busses that run near both, or should we just cab it? I beleive we are planning on cabing in the evening as we will be to tired to walk. Well my husband might not be but I will be starting the 5th month of being knocked up and I am betting I am going to be TIERD!

thanks all I am so looking forward to this trip!

Mom2Kat on
  • murdocmurdoc Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a room booked at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel that had rooms blocked off for PAX, but don't see anyone else saying that they are staying there.

Poor choice, or just not a popular one due to price (I did book it rather late)? It looked like a good location to me, only a few blocks from the convention center.

murdoc on
    ...it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
    edited June 2011
    @Mom2Kat

I stay at the Sixth Ave Inn (the sister hotel of Loyal) pretty much yours is a lot further away than my hotel is to the WSTCC, so if I were to stay there, I'd cab it. ^_^; That would be a waste of money though, considering it's just a very long walk around 20-25 mins, my hotel Sixth is 10-15mins.

polence on
    edited June 2011
    err... it double posted sorry ^_^;

polence on
  • NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    murdoc wrote: »
    I have a room booked at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel that had rooms blocked off for PAX, but don't see anyone else saying that they are staying there.

Poor choice, or just not a popular one due to price (I did book it rather late)? It looked like a good location to me, only a few blocks from the convention center.

I stayed at the Renaissance at PAX East. The hotel is nice enough, but I was shocked to find $450 in extra fees reserved on my credit card from them.

Apparently they put a $50 per person per day hold on your card for incidentals that took over a week and a half to come off.

Be aware.

NeuralLink on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    We will ba staying at the Best Western Loyal on 8th Ave and Bell, because we are doing this a cheap as possible and they were the closest that I could use my air miles at. Looking at a map they seem to be only about 8 blocks from the Convention Center. However I am wondering if locals could tell me if this is easlily walkable, or if there are handy busses that run near both, or should we just cab it? I beleive we are planning on cabing in the evening as we will be to tired to walk. Well my husband might not be but I will be starting the 5th month of being knocked up and I am betting I am going to be TIERD!

8 blocks is a LOOOONG way over PAX weekend! Plus Seattle is known for it's hills. You should hop onto Google Maps and plan out your bus routes/times. I wouldn't cab it - the bus system is amazing, cheap, and runs constantly. There are at least 10 buses that go near the WSCTC from all over.

eye-shuh on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People staying in the Sheraton! I full plan on having a pool party in their indoor pool area. We should take it over.

Also, if the Sheraton isn't full yet, it is awesome. The staff are super nice and very generously tolerant of all the crazy gamers running around and pulling random shenaniganz. They have never over charged us for going past check-out time even though we miss it by an hour or so every year. Plus you get to keep your video game themed key card!

eye-shuh on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    People staying in the Sheraton! I full plan on having a pool party in their indoor pool area. We should take it over.

Also, if the Sheraton isn't full yet, it is awesome. The staff are super nice and very generously tolerant of all the crazy gamers running around and pulling random shenaniganz. They have never over charged us for going past check-out time even though we miss it by an hour or so every year. Plus you get to keep your video game themed key card!

Yeah stayed there last year and it was awsome! Unfortunately it sold out before I could book anything :-(
    Instead I am staying at the Homewood Suites which I stayed at last year... it's pretty good too. I like the suite setup and it comes with free hot breakfast!

I wonder if they would let me in to the Sheraton pool area if I am not staying there ;-)

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Mom2Kat wrote: »

8 blocks is a LOOOONG way over PAX weekend! Plus Seattle is known for it's hills. You should hop onto Google Maps and plan out your bus routes/times. I wouldn't cab it - the bus system is amazing, cheap, and runs constantly. There are at least 10 buses that go near the WSCTC from all over.

Thank you both.

About the 6th ave inn it is not part of the best western group so unfoutunatley I could not use air miles to pay for it and we could not go without useing them for the hotel. I did try to use some of the other Hotel companies that offer Airmiles conversion but the others did not have space/ were in the high season I would have had to pay too much.

Thanks for the info about bussing! I was hoping it would be as good a Vancouver or Victoria. And as for hills, I live in a coast town and used to live in New Westminster, As long as they aren't huge I can do hills.

Mom2Kat on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After staying at the Red Lion & the Sheraton I agree that the Sheraton is the superior of the two personally.

Pool party at the Sheraton? I'm liking where this is going....

Gameshark on
  • sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    is anyone else staying here?

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
    edited June 2011
    the kings inn

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
    edited June 2011
    anyone staying at the kings inn or know anything about it I should say?

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • RaynieRaynie Vancouver, BCRegistered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I've been going to the Sixth Avenue Inn for several years now. It's not really the best hotel, but it's cheap, clean, and walking distance to the hotel. They give you a free newspaper and don't seem to mind if you cram extra people in there. :)

The Green Totoise is nice too, but I heard a rumor that they had bedbugs from a friend of mine, so now I'm too creeped out to go there.

Raynie on
    brigadebanner2013.png
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OK, I have a question:

I have an Amtrak ride that leaves at 5pm but the hotel's check-out time is 11am (the same day) and now I have a 6-hour gap and I don't want to be walking with luggage for that time where i could be doing last minute checks/buying stuff. Can I pay for an extra day but check out earlier to catch the Amtrak?

eg. the train is for the 11th of september @ 5pm. The original check-out time of 11am on the same day. So there's a 6 hour gap where i have to sit and mind my luggage. Will a hotel allow me to book my stay till the next day (12th) but check-out on the 11th?

Suggestions please!

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • drspacemonkey2drspacemonkey2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    OK, I have a question:

I have an Amtrak ride that leaves at 5pm but the hotel's check-out time is 11am (the same day) and now I have a 6-hour gap and I don't want to be walking with luggage for that time where i could be doing last minute checks/buying stuff. Can I pay for an extra day but check out earlier to catch the Amtrak?

eg. the train is for the 11th of september @ 5pm. The original check-out time of 11am on the same day. So there's a 6 hour gap where i have to sit and mind my luggage. Will a hotel allow me to book my stay till the next day (12th) but check-out on the 11th?

Suggestions please!

I'm not sure what hotel you're staying at, but as long as you tell them ahead of time, I haven't stayed at a single hotel that wasn't willing to hold on to your bags for a few hours after checkout while you did some last-day touristy stuff before your trip out. In fact, that's exactly what I did at the Fairmont Olympic last year - they held on to my luggage for 3 or 4 hours before my train ride out. Just make sure you tell them when you check in that's what you plan to do and you should have no problems.

drspacemonkey2 on
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure what hotel you're staying at, but as long as you tell them ahead of time, I haven't stayed at a single hotel that wasn't willing to hold on to your bags for a few hours after checkout while you did some last-day touristy stuff before your trip out. In fact, that's exactly what I did at the Fairmont Olympic last year - they held on to my luggage for 3 or 4 hours before my train ride out. Just make sure you tell them when you check in that's what you plan to do and you should have no problems.

I am staying in a motel in Eugene while I visit there. I hope the same applies though I don't mind paying an extra day to have a secure room and sleep in :)

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    I am staying in a motel in Eugene while I visit there. I hope the same applies though I don't mind paying an extra day to have a secure room and sleep in :)

You should be fine. Just make sure to let them know ahead of time that's what you plan to do and you're gold. The rule I follow is to give them a heads up as soon as you know that's what you plan to do (ie: send them an email now), then remind them at checkin time and you should have no problems.

drspacemonkey2 on
    edited June 2011

You should be fine. Just make sure to let them know ahead of time that's what you plan to do and you're gold. The rule I follow is to give them a heads up as soon as you know that's what you plan to do (ie: send them an email now), then remind them at checkin time and you should have no problems.

there online reservations page has a space for comments so I was going to book and leave a comment saying will check out early then when i go to check in i'll say again that I am checking out on xxx date?

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    there online reservations page has a space for comments so I was going to book and leave a comment saying will check out early then when i go to check in i'll say again that I am checking out on xxx date?

No, I mean you just tell them when you book that on the day of checkout, you would like to leave your luggage behind for a few hours before you leave town. Then, when you check in, tell them the same thing as a reminder.

I've been told it's not necessary to do that ahead of time (ie: just tell them at checkout that you'll be coming back for your bags in a few hours), but when it comes to travel and hotel arrangements, I prefer not to leave things to chance.

drspacemonkey2 on
    edited June 2011

No, I mean you just tell them when you book that on the day of checkout, you would like to leave your luggage behind for a few hours before you leave town. Then, when you check in, tell them the same thing as a reminder.

I've been told it's not necessary to do that ahead of time (ie: just tell them at checkout that you'll be coming back for your bags in a few hours), but when it comes to travel and hotel arrangements, I prefer not to leave things to chance.

so pretty much book the original amount of days but say you want to leave luggage for a few hours.

i am waiting on the hotel's reply and see what they say before i make that booking for Eugene.

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    so pretty much book the original amount of days but say you want to leave luggage for a few hours.

Exactly.
    i am waiting on the hotel's reply and see what they say before i make that booking for Eugene.

Good idea.

drspacemonkey2 on
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OK, I have a question:

Suggestions please!

I work for a hotel chain, and at our hotels, at least, you can request a checkout as late as 4PM. They may not be able to grant it, depending on what their room availability looks like on the day you're leaving, but it never hurts to ask. Worst case scenario, they can store your bags for you.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
    edited June 2011
    the place (Timbers Motel) got back to me saying they'll usually do a late check out of 1pm and then hold the luggage for a few hours. my assumption is that they'll hold it from the time you check out till you pick them up so i might just book the original amount of days and make a note when i book :)

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    Looks like the hotel will do it so I'll book them when I get the next chance :)

thegh0sts on
  • RaybdbombRaybdbomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Am I the only one at PAX staying at the Marriott Renaissance? We're squeezing 8 dudes in a double queen.

Raybdbomb on
    edited June 2011
    OK, I have booked my Eugene, OR hotel/motel for the original length...now I am waiting on UO to open the ticket sales to their games.

thegh0sts on
  • blaqueiceblaqueice Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I booked a room last year (for PAX 2011) at The Hotel Seattle.
    It was the cheapest hotel that was walking distance to the convention center....and a huge step up from sleeping in my car like I did last year...

blaqueice on