As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are USB Headsets better then dual prong ones?

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
Because I have no idea.

Magic Pink on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you have a sound card, you'll want to be plugging into that thing, but otherwise I don't think there are any downsides to going with a USB headset.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know but if I have the option of going either, which is better?

Magic Pink on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've found USB headsets to be fine. I have two and they work just as well, and sometimes better than the card based ones.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you have a sound card, then USB is bad, because it has its own little sound card in it, and you can't configure the equalizer or any options.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just to be contrary, I have This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104281&cm_re=logitech_usb_headset-_-26-104-281-_-Product

And I love it. it's comfortable, blocks outside noises, and the microphone sounds excellent. I like that muting is as simple as raising the microphone, that there's a volume rocker on the earpiece and it's loud.

belligerent on
    edited May 2011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104281&cm_re=logitech_usb_headset-_-26-104-281-_-Product

And I love it. it's comfortable, blocks outside noises, and the microphone sounds excellent. I like that muting is as simple as raising the microphone, that there's a volume rocker on the earpiece and it's loud.

Yeeeaaah... I'm looking to spend maybe 10$ on the thing. Not 99$. But thanks for the recomendation.

Magic Pink on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    $10 bucks? Then you're using your soundcard.

belligerent on
    edited May 2011
    Can you even get a pronged headset for $10 anymore? Cheapest I've seen is like $20 at wal-mart and the things fall apart in a week.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited May 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Can you even get a pronged headset for $10 anymore? Cheapest I've seen is like $20 at wal-mart and the things fall apart in a week.

Yeah, I was in some tumble down computer place last night and they had shelves of the things, some as low as 4.99.

Magic Pink on
    edited May 2011
    WOO!

bowen on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No offense, but if you're only going to spend $10 it's almost pointless to even ask about what's better or worse

Gaslight on
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeeeaaah... I'm looking to spend maybe 10$ on the thing. Not 99$. But thanks for the recomendation.

The headset I'm currently using I remember getting from Radio Shack and it's worked great for over a year now. Website says $40 but I remember getting it for cheaper. Might've been on sale.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3166831&numProdsPerPage=60

Aeyther on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    No offense, but if you're only going to spend $10 it's almost pointless to even ask about what's better or worse

Yeah, anything you're using for $10 is going to be shit. However, at that price point you definitely want to go with straight 3.5mm into your audio ports, because whatever they're spending on the USB circuitry (and amplifier circuitry) is coming right out of the mic/speaker quality. If you want it as cheap as possible, you want it to be doing as little as possible. No free lunch, and all.

I'll never, ever understand why gamers will spend $200 on a videocard and $200 on a monitor then balk at spending more than $50 for audio. Even if you're on a budget machine, you should still be allowing more than ten freaking dollars for sound.

mcdermott on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have to agree here. Especially if you have to use headset regulary then you should spend a bit more on it. I often have the urge to punch my WoW guildmates in the mouth, because some of them are using their crappy headsets for months while bragging about their tripple sli setup.

Dratatoo on
    edited May 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'll never, ever understand why gamers will spend $200 on a videocard and $200 on a monitor then balk at spending more than $50 for audio. Even if you're on a budget machine, you should still be allowing more than ten freaking dollars for sound.

Most people (myself included) are far less discriminating about sound than about visuals. I mean, it's really not hard to understand in a way: if you can't play a game for shit because your frame-rate is constantly sliding into single digits, that's a problem you're going to want to do something about, but not having rich, theater-quality sound is something most people can live with so long as they can hear well enough to process all the basic necessary audio cues.

But again, if a person's only going to spend $10 on any kind of hardware/peripheral purchase I have a hard time seeing why they're even worried about relative quality.

Gaslight on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »

Yeah, anything you're using for $10 is going to be shit. However, at that price point you definitely want to go with straight 3.5mm into your audio ports, because whatever they're spending on the USB circuitry (and amplifier circuitry) is coming right out of the mic/speaker quality. If you want it as cheap as possible, you want it to be doing as little as possible. No free lunch, and all.

Depends on what you're referring to as "audio". I won't bother buying a discrete sound card ever again probably because the on-board audio on most modern mobos are really quite good, and the last Creative card I had gave me so many damn headaches that it wasn't worth the time. Maybe if someone is doing things with sound editing they'd want more professional equipment, but even for someone like me who cares immensely about the quality of audio coming out of my machine, the onboard audio these days is really quite nice.

If you're referring to headphones/speakers then yeah, I understand what you're saying. It breaks my heart every time I see someone going and buying a $20 set of "speakers" (in quotes because they might as well be tin fucking cans) at wal-mart or a $10 pair of headphones.

Man...respect your shit. Respect your ears and respect the people making the music and sounds you're hearing. Shell out for a really nice set of headphones or speakers and enjoy it. I drive my wife nuts when I buy a new pair of headphones because I usually buy five and put them through the wringer to determine which I like best, fit on my ears the best, has the best clarity of sound and bass, and then return the rest. She claims she can't hear the difference in most of them but I don't comprehend how that's possible. I've bout headsets that are $100 a pop and even at that price range, some still sound like shit compared to others and to me, it's painfully obvious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a person who will argue about speaker wiring and whatnot, but I will go to my grave touting the importance of good speakers, be they headphones or desktop speakers.

Buck up and shell out the cash for something that will make your audio shine like a fancy graphics card or good monitor will do for visuals. Ears are too valuable a thing to waste.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, I meant to say this too; whether or not you'll notice a different in quality between a USB and 3.5 headset depends entirely on the quality of the headset itself really.

For example, on my PC I use a digitial 5.1 headset and then a USB headset when i want to use vent or something. The benefit of using a seperate USB headset, particularly for voice, is that your system (at least win 7) looks at that headset as a different device than your onboard/card audio so you can assign different audio to different outputs easier. I have it set up so when voice comes in through vent or steam, it comes in only through my USB headset speakers, my headset has a mic, and my game/movie/whatever audio will still come through my speakers. This works really well for me and I would recommend it. If I had a 3.5 headset, I don't know of any way to set up a system like this unless the software handling the sound is specifically set up to allow you to assign specific devices within the software without using windows settings (vent allows this, but steam doesn't do it correctly, so I needed a better option). It's just a bit more freeing.

Either way, whatever you use for audio be it onboard or card, should still do all the leg work for your audio regardless of where its being sent.

EDIT: The only potential drawback to using a USB headset is that supposedly if you're using a lot of active USB devices at the same time it can dick up your audio. How many you have to have running and what they're doing is up for debate, I've personally never ran into an issue with typical USB use (i.e. mouse/keyboard, headset, Zune and phone hooked up, but not actively transferring typically). I suppose if you were doing something like a backup to a USB device you might run into issues; but it seems like a non-issue enough to not let it sway you.

I guess, also, if it matters, your 3.5 headset can be used in pretty much any device anywhere. You're not gonna hook up a USB headset to your MP3 player or something. So if that matters, then I guess take it into consideration. But then what headset you're using for music....see my above post on my views there.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited May 2011

Because I didn't spend that much, I'll barely (if ever) use the thing and I'm deaf in one ear anyway. Audio all sounds the same to me.

But thanks all, I'll grab the two prong thingies.

Magic Pink on
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Because I didn't spend that much, I'll barely (if ever) use the thing and I'm deaf in one ear anyway. Audio all sounds the same to me.

But thanks all, I'll grab the two prong thingies.

You misquoted, I wasn't the one who said that. But if you're half deaf and everything sounds the same anyhow, then why do you care which type of headset is better?

Ah well.

Gaslight on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it was me he was quoting. I felt bad for a set, until I cqme to the same realization you did...if it all sounds the same, what's it matter? Mic quality will fluctuate, so I'd probably still go with a regular non usb option...no free lunch, and all. But really, it sounds like its all about the mic and comfort then. Try some on if you can, then pick.

In the $10-$20 range, though, it still won't matter much.

mcdermott on
    edited May 2011
    Because the headset I use now (on my 360 I mean) drops a lot of talk and I end up only hearing about 70% of every conversation. I figured finding out which headsets are better would be a step in making sure that doesn't happen on my PC.

There, happy now?

Magic Pink on
    edited May 2011
    Generally, if you're losing connection from other people and hearing 70% of the conversation, it's their end.

We have a person who habitually lets go of his button before he finishes talking and blames us for not hearing the last 2 words of his sentence.

bowen on
    edited May 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Generally, if you're losing connection from other people and hearing 70% of the conversation, it's their end.

We have a person who habitually lets go of his button before he finishes talking and blames us for not hearing the last 2 words of his sentence.

Or he's on voice activated (which on 360 will be the case), and his current headset is picking him up low enough that it cuts out for parts of his speech. Usually this just means moving the mic closer to your mouth. Though I know on the stock headset, you can be chewing on the fucking thing and still have problems.

mcdermott on
    edited May 2011
    Also true.

bowen on
    edited May 2011
    Ah, good to know. I'll give my old headset the finger then.

Magic Pink on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum