As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] - Where we talk about Electric Light Orchestra

CutfangCutfang Dancing BagelWalessssssssRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
personalTitle.png

League of Legends
Think of it as an RTS where you only control the heroic commander. You have your pick of the beefy, the sneaky, the kind that sets up turrets and hangs back. Your aim is to destroy the enemy's HQ and intervening towers. The AI sends out waves of minions to act as cannon fodder and will give you delicious gold when killed, which is used to buy items and customise your champion in all manner of ways.
It's free to play; but champions are unlocked with real money or in-game points.

The Tribunal is here! Now any level 30 summoner can decide the fate of trolls and bigots for prizes! Help Riot weed out the foul from the murky at http://www.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal

While Riot does not officially support a Mac version of LoL they have made a beta version of the client that you can download here.

Have you scored a Pentakill? Also in-game screenshots
I5r0s.jpg
2115f11.jpg
i4qxjt.jpg
Guuuys.jpg
ppppppentakill.jpg
pppppentakill.jpg

Get on ventrilo if you want to play games with fellow PA'ers. The details are in the stickied vent thread. We are more than happy to give advice and play games no matter how new you are.

Alternatively you can join the PA chat room.Click the chat rooms panel in the bottom right, click the speech bubble with a plus next to it, type in Penny Arcade. when the window opens, click the gear in the top right of the window and check the box "Autojoin on Startup."

Helpful links for those who wish to learn more
leagueoflegends.com, the game database provided by Riot (who make the game).
leaguecraft.com, there are a lot of fan sites out there with general information and builds. This is just one; and, it is slow and full of ads. Regardless of where you look for builds keep in mind, most of them make assumptions that are not clearly conveyed and there are a lot that are just plain bad. Tread lightly.
KillerCodeMonkey's wiki, add your brilliant shit to it.
Game mechanic shit, stuff like how attacks and magic and things work.
Rune break-dancing, good info about what runes you should buy.

Here is a list of live streams. They are quite nice for picking up tricks and build orders. My personal favourite is Guardsman Bob.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND REAL CASH DOLLA MONIES FOR CHAMPIONS
Zoelef wrote: »
Drop $20 for the Retail Box (Amazon, Best Buy, GameSpot, Newegg, Target, and Wal-Mart typically have this) It gives you $10 in Riot Points, take those, then buy $10 in Riot Points and $5 in Riot Points. Spend all of them on the second champ pack.

That's $35 for 40 champs permanently unlocked; none of the post-40 have ever been in a bundle AFAIK.
Cutfang wrote: »
Q: How can I get champions and save money?
A: You won't have to spend a cent if you simply play games and earn enough IP to buy them all. If, however, you wish to hasten the process you may buy champions with real money. The most cost effective way to buy champions is by purchasing the two bundles on offer.
For $45 you can buy 6380 Riot Points, which are used to buy champions and skins. 3900 of those points gets you the Digital Collector's Pack, which contains 20 champions and includes 1380 Riot Points (huh?). If you were to buy the champions individually it would cost 37800 IP or 9620 RP. The Digital Collector's pack can also be bought in stores or online as a boxed copy, which may save you a significant amount of money.
3410 Riot Points gets you the champions bundle. This contains some more expensive champions. Bought individually they would cost 60750 IP or 14350 RP (ish).
This leaves you with 450 RP, enough to buy yourself a single skin!

Here is a list of all the champions available. Not for the weak of bandwidth.

Valiantine has a lovely spreadsheet that you can add your summoner name to. It is horrifyingly large.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap5qFqD3oLKndHNfOGJ1VFNZVVZ6c1NtZVktdXpsTVE&hl=en&authkey=CJPuh4wG#gid=0

Dancing Bagel
Cutfang on

• CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guessing the picture goes - Mundo, Miss Fortune, ????, Master Yi, Taric, Kennen, Singed, Heimerdinger, Karthus, ???

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I'd taken a screenshot of my pentakill denial. Nidalee is at a triplekill soloing the enemy team in the bushes. Everyone else is dead and I'm at 5% heath.

The last enemies break and runs. I pop ghost, race after them. Nidalee heals herself back to half and chases in cougar form. Quadrakill!

The remaining enemy is past his inhibitor turret, but our minions are keeping it tied up. Nidalee chases into his base right as I race past her. Our quarry is almost home free.

A spear flies out, perfectly aimed. I flash in, harpoon, flamethrower and bring him down! A spear flies over his corpse as I'm cut down by the nexus turrets.

It was glorious.

zerg rush on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I should play some tonight. But with less meh play.

This is your only warning!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    fiddlesticks is there as well as veigar

i think you called veigar miss fortune

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    NEW THREAD is the best

Pacificstar on
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mmm. Fresh Thread.

Thanks Cutfang.

Priest on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not enough Yordles in thread

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hello, new thread.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited May 2011
    Ty Priest! But I pretty much copy pasted the last thread I made, which also got locked. Maybe MooMan's picture is cursed. Well, everyone is banned now and it is just 5 of us here so the thread is probably ok.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    amon amarth is the best alistar music

this pulverize gank is for odin, you heathen cunts

Liquid Ghost on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am trying to find a reason to not pick Vlad.

The reasons do not come with much speed.

projectmayhem on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I for one will be heartbroken when Miss Fortune gets rotated off the free champions list next week.

She is wonderful.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I should really get around to buying Ashe and learning her. She seems like one of those characters that you really need to know in this game. She's jus so boooooorrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggg.

Dark_Side on
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, Vlad has a weak early game. Lane against him at level 1 with a null mantle and a potion and just beat him up. At least that's what I'll often do

Pacificstar on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ashe is fun every 60 seconds when you get to shoot [and miss] an arrow

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    im going to do this because of new thread and because i'm done

(clicking it unravels big big pictures so careful0
    teemo__s_messed_up_trip_by_thanekats-d3bqp53.jpg

teemo__s_messed_up_trip_part_2_by_thanekats-d3cvba1.jpg

teemo__s_messed_up_trip_part_3_by_thanekats-d3dfftr.jpg

teemo__s_messed_up_trip_part_4_by_thanekats-d3eqv8a.jpg

teemo__s_messed_up_trip_part_5_by_thanekats-d3gqt8i.jpg

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I should really get around to buying Ashe and learning her. She seems like one of those characters that you really need to know in this game. She's jus so boooooorrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggg.

She teaches you really good habits.

Always last hit (her passive and E passive)
    Have good map awareness (E active)
    Kite enemy champs as a ranged carry (Q)
    Learn when and how to initiate properly (Ultimate)
    Be aware of how your teammates are doing elsewhere on the map (Ultimate)
    Keep yourself safe with positioning in teamfights (Q and her lack of escape spells)
    Don't over extend (lack of escapes)
    Do what you can to harass opponents while not pushing the lane (W)

Ashe is the ultimate trainer for ranged carries.

zerg rush on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We had Playeasy get a quad on Vayne yesterday. It was an ace so someone must have gotten a kill in there somewhere. Game before that he had a triple or two with Akali.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not that he's "op" or anything more than just plain annoying, but I'm putting the game down until Garen gets nerfed back into crappyville where he belongs.

Salut

Sokpuppet on
    edited May 2011
    Man, I think I'm done playing bots on intermediate to test builds and champs. They item cheat so fucking bad that it just makes the entire game frustrating and long. The ability for the entire lineup to suddenly show up with banshee's veils and guardian angels gets uber annoying.

Dark_Side on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    zerg rush wrote: »
    I wish I'd taken a screenshot of my pentakill denial. Nidalee is at a triplekill soloing the enemy team in the bushes. Everyone else is dead and I'm at 5% heath.

The last enemies break and runs. I pop ghost, race after them. Nidalee heals herself back to half and chases in cougar form. Quadrakill!

The remaining enemy is past his inhibitor turret, but our minions are keeping it tied up. Nidalee chases into his base right as I race past her. Our quarry is almost home free.

A spear flies out, perfectly aimed. I flash in, harpoon, flamethrower and bring him down! A spear flies over his corpse as I'm cut down by the nexus turrets.

It was glorious.

hah, you dick. i mean silly goose.
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Man, I think I'm done playing bots on intermediate to test builds and champs. They item cheat so fucking bad that it just makes the entire game frustrating and long. The ability for the entire lineup to suddenly show up with banshee's veils and guardian angels gets uber annoying.

annie bot is the only real problem. the bot games i've played last about 30-33 minutes because the bots mindlessly throw themselves at you once you're in the base and they will overwhelm you with numbers :P

seriously though, it is good practice to be able to deal with champs that have those items.

Feldorn on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is that a real complaint? you don't get to stomp the bots easily enough on intermediate?

unintentional on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Not that he's "op" or anything more than just plain annoying, but I'm putting the game down until Garen gets nerfed back into crappyville where he belongs.

Salut

Why does everyone hate Garen? All he does is run at people and hit them with a single target nuke ultimate.

Eve fucking terrifies me every game now.

edit: I mean it's not like you don't see him coming. Shrug.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is that a real complaint? you don't get to stomp the bots easily enough on intermediate?

I have never played a bot game, but I hate rubberbanding in racing games

this sounds like the same thing

skippydumptruck on
    edited May 2011

A minor complaint sure. But bot games don't follow the logic of the regular games. One would assume that if you were to win your lane and build a commanding lead over the annie or ashe bot, you could safely ignore them for awhile, then a team fight comes along and wait a minute, how the fuck did they afford those defensive items? Add that together with pug groups' penchant for blowing leads and playing incredibly stupid, you can find yourself getting your inhib turrets pushed with a 25 kill lead and the entire enemy bot team sporting top tier defensive items. It gets reaaally frustrating when you're just trying to dial in a build, but yes...it is good practice.

Dark_Side on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am trying to find a reason to not pick Vlad.

The reasons do not come with much speed.

Sometimes I get tired of winning 3v1's.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited May 2011

Salut

Why does everyone hate Garen? All he does is run at people and hit them with a single target nuke ultimate.

Because you can't actually DO anything about it.

You:
    A) eat the silence/spin/smack and die
    B) run away, probably getting your team aced because now you're out of position and not doing any damage
    C) blow one or more of your most useful cooldowns on him, forcing your team to either kite away or get aced

Garen makes setting up for a teamfight into a really boring chore. You are basically just stuck waiting for someone on his team to make a mistake.
    Unfun.

Sokpuppet on
    edited May 2011

For a long time Garen was OP. He was actually the poster child for OP. Imagine doing about double the damage with your spin, and having your shield protect twice as much while it was up. THEN add in the fact that you could stack sunfire capes and each one would do damage. You'd have Garens with 5 sunfire capes burning enemy teams to a crisp just by standing next to them.

He got nerfed to oblivion since then, and has only recently gotten back to balanced with the series of buffs he's receiving. You happened to start playing while he was at a balanced spot, but he's had an infamous history.

Feldorn wrote:
    hah, you dick. i mean silly goose.

Oh yeah. Both teams cheered for me afterwards, well except Nidalee. She ended up destroying the nexus on that push. The only shit talking the enemy did was boasting about how owned she had gotten by me.

zerg rush on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cutfang wrote: »
    Guessing the picture goes - Mundo, Miss Fortune, ????, Master Yi, Taric, Kennen, Singed, Heimerdinger, Karthus, ???

Mundo, Veigar, Master Yi, Heimer, Kennen, Singed, ? Star blob guy ?, Karthus, Soraka, Fiddlesticks.

And where are my ridiculous paints, Bebe?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited May 2011
    You'd better repost them!

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Garen makes setting up for a teamfight into a really boring chore. You are basically just stuck waiting for someone on his team to make a mistake.
    Unfun.

isn't this all team fights

Feels Good Man on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cock blocking tf ganks with teleport is pretty sweet

Jars on
    edited May 2011
    Luckily I'm switching to Xia Zhao tonight so I won't be playing the powerhouse that is GAAAAAARRRREEENNNNN! For a few games anyway.

Using this guide to try to jungle, I think... http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=1016

OnTheLastCastle on
  • CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How much do you want to bet that they'll make a clockwork orange reference skin for the new champ?

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't really touched Lee Sin since his first release week so I decided wtf. Late in the game our Renek is chasing down Lux along top lane. She's trying to run back to the safety of towers with a sliver of life left. I'm running in the jungle parallel to them, waiting for the chance to line up a good q over the bushline. Q, Q, E, An enemy has been slain, and Lux is all "OMFG". The Lee Sin shenanigans are some of the best shenanigans.

And his E is glorious. I've been favoring levelling E & W mid to late game and it's worked out so well.

I've checked out the builds you guys have been talking about. Someone mentioned a Sunfire cape and I've got to confess I just don't understand that. He feels very zippy in and out. I don't see how you'd be sticking to a group of people long enough for Sunfire to really do much difference. Even in teamfights I'll pop in, E, pop out, then try to pick people off with Q or help out with shielding and slamming E again.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    at the end of the movie

lee sin really isn't blind

and then he trips and falls over a rock

Liquid Ghost on
    edited May 2011
    Unfun.

isn't this all team fights

To a certain extent, I suppose it is.
    I still say Garen makes it unfun.

Sokpuppet on
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    at the end of the movie

lee sin really isn't blind

and then he trips and falls over a rock

I just thought of something funny, too bad i dont know what to do with it.

FlipprDolphin on
    edited May 2011
    i feel that way about my penis

Liquid Ghost on
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i feel that way about my penis

i play LoL with mine, i just slap it around and i win. Give it a shot.

ghostbandit on
    stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming