As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Booty For Booty] The Journey of the Ten Tanks

simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a differencetoday, a differenceRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Critical Failures
BOOTY FOR BOOTY

pirate65b15d.jpg

Booty For Booty is the game of pirates travelling the seven seas, searching for treasure, drinking grog, and generally having a grand old time. Except for the sobriety-induced insanity. Oh, and the broken masts. Did I forget to mention the crazed captains chasing white whales to the ends of the earth, despite the problems such a chase can cause? Because that totally happens, as well.

HOW DO WE PLAY

It's pretty simple! Everything in the game is based on a d6 engine. The ship has a crew, the crew is assigned tasks, and if they fail in those tasks, bad things happen. If they manage to do well, however, there's always a chance they'll arrive at a port or island - and those can range from extremely delightful to incredibly dangerous. Anything goes in the madcap world of Booty For Booty!

You can read the full rules over here - the game was invented by a member of the forums, SUPERSUGA, and he's one classy fellow for inventing it. I really hope you don't read the event tables, though - part of the fun in Booty For Booty is never quite knowing what's going to happen next!

YOU DIDN'T REALLY ANSWER MY QUESTION

You're right! Sorry about that.

Here's how we play: every pirate is named by, and represents, a member of the forums. Whenever the ship recruits new crew, we add new people to the crew. Sometimes there'll be votes on what to do, and that's when the crew gets to weigh in on the way the ship's destiny will be shaped. The captain, though, that's the guy in charge - he determines where people will be working for the week, as well as being the final confirmation for a few events.

I handle all the dice rolls and post the weekly update whenever I think the time is right. We can usually get through one or two updates a day, depending on how schedules match up. Really, we're just watching this crew go slowly insane, and enjoying every second of it.

SO WHAT'S GOING ON NOW

Right now, we're following the adventures of the Ten Tanks, a ship created for fun as a side game within Infidel and DrKippy's phalla, The Salty [Phalla]: Curse of the Crusty Pearls. You can read all of the updates by clicking through these links:

WEEK 1
WEEK 2
WEEK 3
WEEK 4
WEEK 5
WEEK 6
WEEK 7
WEEK 8
WEEK 8.5

HOW CAN I JOIN IN

Why, all you have to do is sign up! Post your pirate name in the thread, bolded and in SeaGreen, and you'll be added to the list of pirates who'll be recruited from whenever the Ten Tanks adds a new matey. Considering we've lost eleven pirates in eight updates, there's generally a pretty quick turnover. Feel free to sign up again if you've lost a pirate - give them a new name, though! No duplicates allowed in these waters, bucko.

simonwolf on

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We're currently waiting on our noble and brave Captain Stoutsparrow to give the current crew job allocations. Once that's sorted, we'll set sail for port!

simonwolf on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I still alive?

romanqwerty on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As of Week 8.5, Bad Romance was alive, but seasick from tainted grog and unable to work any job during Week 9. A shame, indeed.

simonwolf on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I suppose I can post in this now!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ahoy! I, Scuppered Schuyler, seek sea-faring adventure! Shall I await ye at port?

wildwood on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Serge "SevenSwords" Salvage would be delighted to serve the infamous Stoutsparrow.

Egos on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, this game looks pretty cool. Can I play?

Conrad Corncob reportin fer duty.

And as a shameless plug those who are enjoying the game can find similar soogagames by clicking the image in my sig.

SUPERSUGA on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yarrrrr! Nottin be stoppin TEN TANKS!

SICK AS DOGS
    Wyldecatte (Wildcat) - Swashbucklin’
    Bad Romance (romanqwerty) - Swashbucklin’, Eyepatch
    Three Toes (Mr. Mojo Risin) - Shootin’, Blind
    Paprika (Zandracon) - Stealin’, Scaredy
    Max Powers (MaxFrost) - Swashbucklin’, Eyepatch, Beard

Helm
    Captain Stoutsparrow the Plunderer (Alegis) - Shootin’, Stealin’
    Tim (Phyphor) - Scaredy

Deck
    Rocky Grifterfellow (Rawkking) - Swashbucklin’, Two Hooks
    Shaka Moneymaker (Gandalf) - Shootin’, Beard
    Orokos (Infidel) - Stealin’

Sails
    Matthew (Capfalcon) - Shootin’
    Grog de Mode (godmode) - Stealin’, Peg Leg
    Jade Eye (MrBlarney) - Shootin’, Eyepatch
    Doc Gangrene (Void Slayer) - Swaggerin’

need ta 'trade' some good grog at the Port!

Alegis on
    edited May 2011
    spbristurn111.jpg

WEEK NINE

With a full third of the crew incapacitated from the tainted grog, the Captain rearranges the positions of the crew, moving Tim by his side to keep an eye on the wimpy bugger - can’t have him disappearing under the decks in a time of crisis, can we?

Rocky, Shaka and Orokos, some of the last of the original crew of the Ten Tanks, gather together to perform their duties on the ship’s deck and holds. They do their best to maintain the ship’s conditions, but things always end up distracting the best of men, and what washes up next to the ship that week is very distracting indeed... (Decks Check: 1 + 3 = 4, FAILURE)

THE PRETTIEST DRESS

Pulling the dress out of the water, Orokos is the first to admire it, commenting on how the delicate fabric is suited to his fair complexion. Shaka laughs, insisting that the dress belongs to him, because it was he who spotted it first. Rocky disagrees, pointing out how he was the one with the bright idea to fish it out of the water, and the other two can shove their arguments up their arses.

All this noise attracts the rest of the crew, including Captain Stoutsparrow - except Tim, who disappears under the decks as soon as he hears voices start to go from gruff to angry. Every pirate, except those seasick or scaredy, begins arguing why they should get to own the dress, which leads to shouts, which leads to violence. It’s unknown who threw the first punch, but it only escalated from there. Swords and knives were pulled, all in the name of who would become the sole possessor of the prettiest dress any of them had seen in all their lives.

The battle is fierce and deadly, as if every man in it were fighting for everything they believed in the world. Of all the men, though, it is Jade Eye who convinces the rest of the crew that he has the greatest claim to the dress, through the tried and true method of debate and rebuttal. Those are the names of his pistols, of course, as Grog de Mode discovers, shot in the chest and kicked over the side of the ship. The rest of the crew back away, and Jade Eye takes his prize down to the crew quarters for... safe keeping.

Jade Eye has gained the prettiest dress.

With the brawl having knocked a lot of sense from the men, they work hard to get the ship into sailing order, though they often have to look sideways at Jade Eye to make sure the man isn’t going to shoot them down for thinking about his dress. Even with their fear, they don’t let it get the best of them, and don’t have any trouble keeping the ship in the proper winds. (Sails Check: 4 + 3 = 7, SUCCESS)

“Smoke on the horizon,” comes the cry from the riggers, and Captain Stoutsparrow fishes around the brawl-damaged deck for his spy glass. When he finally gets it in place, what he sees is far from the inviting sights he has seen before...

SMOULDERING RUIN

The port is a wreck, burned out buildings in black, smoking piles. Women and children wander between the husks of what used to be buildings, bloodied and blackened. The port itself has been destroyed, there’s nowhere to dock. Someone - nay, something - has already come and obliterated this port. There’s no reason to stop here, there’ll be no goods for sale, no men to recruit. With little choice, the captain calls out to the men, “Change of course! We’ll have to find another port!”

Back on the seas, the week ends, and the crew finishes their tainted grog rations. Orokos, Three Toes and Paprika all quickly come down with the same illness that had afflicted their crewmates throughout the previous week. Jade Eye, too, expressed the same symptoms, though most assumed he had simply come down with a desire to stay in bed with his dress all week. Lucky son of a bitch. -13 Grog

CURRENT TALLY
    BOOTY: 97
    GROG: 17
    BANK: 30

Well guys, Jade Eye is now, vicariously, the prettiest crew member on the ship. I assume you’re continuing to head to port, so I just need to know your job assignments for next week - the following people are seasick from the grog, and thus can’t be assigned to any job:
    Jade Eye (MrBlarney) - Shootin’, Eyepatch

THE CREW
    Captain Stoutsparrow the Plunderer[/b] (Alegis) - Shootin’, Stealin’
    Tim (Phyphor) - Scaredy
    Jade Eye (MrBlarney) - Shootin’, Eyepatch, Owns the Prettiest Dress

THE LOST ONES
    Skyler the Killer (wildwood) - Shootin’, Swaggerin’ - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Jack Burnhart (Matev) - Stealin’ - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Salty Bob (Diorinix) - Swaggerin’ - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Rusty Iron Fist (Gumpy) - Stealin', Tattoos - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Seacrest (The_Reflection) - Shootin', Toothless - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Skullgutter the Terrible (Egos) - Swashbucklin', Swaggerin' - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Anthony Anchises (Teurican) - Scrapper - Slain by Huffington in an act of sober-blooded murder.
    Huffington (Extermatott) - Shootin’ - Lynched by the crew after murdering Anthony Anchises.
    Blaine Dread (mEEksa) - Shootin’, Eyepatch - Abandoned ship and was never seen again.
    Bandalor Grieg (Lucedes) - Scrapper, Beard - Forced to walk the plank after an attempted mutiny.
    Grom, the Pet Parrot - Sold to a governor for thirty gold.
    Grog de Mode (godmode) - Stealin’, Peg Leg - Killed by Jade Eye in a fight for the Prettiest Dress.

simonwolf on
    edited May 2011
    Jade Eye ye scurvy dogg! ye look mighty fine.

Helm:

Captain Stoutsparrow the Plunderer[/b] (Alegis) - Shootin’, Stealin’
    Tim (Phyphor) - Scaredy

Deck:

Sails:

Alegis on
  • ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can I come back as Zombie Pirate Huffington?

Extermatott on
    edited May 2011
    Huffington was a ninja dressed up as a pirate! We no be invitin ninjas om me ship

(I assume you can sign-up as a different pirate)

Alegis on
  • MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xheo qual mook mook !chorn.

(I can finally do something useful for my new captain!)

MaxFrost on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blackmon the Armless Sailor reporting for reporting?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Broadside Throckmorten will adding his name to the crew roster once there's an opening

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yarrrr! We be takin' over a thread of our own?

Wildcat on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We're never gonna catch a break, are we captain?

Capfalcon on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I feel pretty, oh so pretty...

Quite lovely indeed.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Avast! That do indeed be a mighty fine dress, ye think ye can hold on to it fer long?

Phyphor on
  • ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Secret Ninja Zombie Pirate Huffington 2 wants to join your crew!

Extermatott on
    edited May 2011
    Soo what do you dogs think concernin explorin the islands with the entire crew or a subselect adventure crew

be gettin fewer booty but probably risk less losing more people all at once during a bad event. Not having enough people on deck/sails can be baddd

Alegis on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I ain't got no arms, but I kicks real good?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dunno cap'n, do ye want to live longer or get more booty?

Phyphor on
    edited May 2011
    BOOTYYY!

we be gettin more hands on deck ta compensate

Alegis on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd say send the away team over and let them prod buttock.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2011
    boulder.jpg

WEEK TEN

“What are you all waiting for,” shouts the noble Captain Stoutsparrow, plunderer of the seven seas, “We’ve got a dock to get to! Hurry up and splice the mainbrace, hoist the subsail, and Tim - tell me a story, I like stories. Maybe one about a whale.”

With no more dresses washing up along the side of the ship, the trio working the decks manage to keep everything ship-shape, swabbing and clearing refuse with the best of them. Nothing exciting really happens, unless you count Rocky Grifterfellow’s bizarre incapability to understand why people won’t trust him with any task requiring fine motor control. (Decks Check: 4 + 3 = 7 SUCCESS)

The crew on the sails also manages to work without any real hassle or significant event hampering their progress. After last week’s series of unfortunate events, the crew finally has a chance to breathe easy - surely they’ll get to a port this week where they can switch their grog over, grab some wenches, drink until oblivion overtakes sense and maybe, if all goes well, leave without a fuss. (Sails Check: 3 + 4 = 7, SUCCESS)

“Civilisation in sight,” comes the call from the rigging, and the Captain chortles. Surely this time they won’t have to leave without a fuss, will they? No true port would ever turn away the mighty Ten Tanks!

OLD ENEMY

Heading down the docks, it is Rocky Grifterfellow who stops in his tracks, eye to eye with someone he thought he’d never have to see again - his arch-nemesis and man responsible for one and a half of his hooks, Boulder Congent. They do not exchange words, for they both know that the time as come for them to fight to the death. Rocky readies his hooks into his signature “fishing sweep” fighting position, while Boulder Congent readies his twin peg legs to battle with a style of wooden peg boxing that he learned in the mysterious Orient.

Hook to peg, the battle rages across the docks, each man able to control the tide of battle for nary but a moment before it equalises again. It is Boulder who makes the fatal mistake, however, his leg sweep predicted and countered by Rocky, who digs his hooks into his foe’s chest and throws him into a pile of barrels. Tired, beaten and bloody, Boulder dies there, and Rocky quickly loots the corpse. A single drop of sea water falls down his cheek as he joins the rest of his crew - that is what it must be, for a pirate does not weep. +1 Booty

Rocky Grifterfellow has beaten his old enemy.

Once that bloody business is finish, the next step for the crew is a sneaky affair, distracting the guards surrounding the powerful and huge flagship of the royal navy, HMS Boadicea, then switching the remaining tainted grog on the Ten Tanks for the good grog that those royal navy brats just left laying about. When all is said and done, the crew of the pirate ship is left with some grog that won’t send them into gut-churning sickness anymore.

Drinking grog will no longer result in a chance for seasickness.

With their official duties done, the crew is given their stipend and sent off to figure out their dirty personal business. With the holds full of booty, Captain Stoutsparrow has his work cut out for him in figuring out what to do about it. More grog, of course, but does he need more crew? A question that can only be answered with time, and hindsight. -13 Booty

CURRENT TALLY
    BOOTY: 85
    GROG: 17
    BANK: 30

As usual, we’re back at port. Nothing too exciting this week, just the usual port business:
    a) How much grog are you buying?
    b) How many crew are you recruiting, if any?
    c) How much will you be putting in tha bank?

I presume you’ll be hitting up an island next week, but confirm that!

THE CREW
    Tim (Phyphor) - Scaredy

THE LOST ONES
    Skyler the Killer (wildwood) - Shootin’, Swaggerin’ - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Jack Burnhart (Matev) - Stealin’ - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Salty Bob (Diorinix) - Swaggerin’ - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Rusty Iron Fist (Gumpy) - Stealin', Tattoos - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Seacrest (The_Reflection) - Shootin', Toothless - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Skullgutter the Terrible (Egos) - Swashbucklin', Swaggerin' - Left the ship to stay in Paradise.
    Anthony Anchises (Teurican) - Scrapper - Slain by Huffington in an act of sober-blooded murder.
    Huffington (Extermatott) - Shootin’ - Lynched by the crew after murdering Anthony Anchises.
    Blaine Dread (mEEksa) - Shootin’, Eyepatch - Abandoned ship and was never seen again.
    Bandalor Grieg (Lucedes) - Scrapper, Beard - Forced to walk the plank after an attempted mutiny.
    Grom, the Pet Parrot - Sold to a governor for thirty gold.
    Grog de Mode (godmode) - Stealin’, Peg Leg - Killed by Jade Eye in a fight for the Prettiest Dress.

simonwolf on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd say save some booty for a rainy day, get a few more crew members, and invest the rest in grog!

Capfalcon on
    edited May 2011
    I don't think we need more than one or two more crew members, really. Hire one new hand, bring the grog reserves to about 50, and we can bank up to 50 booty, a fine haul.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited May 2011
    hmm. pretty Jade Eye be talkin wise.

if we're going for everyone explores + more booty an extra hand is useful. the more consistent 'send half away to island' is boringer! Actually I'm not even sure if those island events like the paradise island only affecr the away crew, I assume it does. The real problem is when we run out of grog and people get sober or we lose too many men to properly men the sails

going to bed, discuss this - me crew!

Alegis on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rocky Grifterfellow will never fall! A shame my nemesis only had enough on him to pay for my daily grog.

When we get 150 gold stashed in the bank we can consider some away crew action (300 is the victory requirement, right?). For now let us fail and succeed gloriously.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited May 2011
    300 is the amount of booty required for the captain to buy himself a mansion and a truly magnificent hat - the best a pirate can hope for. It ends the game in victory.

simonwolf on
  • adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    I ain't got no arms, but I kicks real good?

Sorry for interrupting since I'm not in the game, but...I couldn't resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXT1fb_TkX4

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With a crew of 14, I would say we need not less then 42 barrels of grog. Lets get one more lost soul.

Also there is never a wrong time for that clip.

I suspect we also do not to keep posting in sea green.

Let's go find some more islands to plunder!

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited May 2011
    Just waiting on Alegis to give us a revised crew job assignment list, and also confirm whatever booty business we're doing in port today.

simonwolf on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To islands!

I'm getting antsy waiting at port for so long.

Edit: Aleggis where are youuuu

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited May 2011
    Considering it is about 2.30am in Belgistan

I assume he is partying it up

like a good pirate does

simonwolf on
    edited May 2011
    i be followin jade eye's plan
    I don't think we need more than one or two more crew members, really. Hire one new hand, bring the grog reserves to about 50, and we can bank up to 50 booty, a fine haul.
    hire one more crew, Island, grog to 50, bank up to 50 total.

Alegis on
    edited May 2011
    Helm:

Deck:

Tim (Phyphor) - Scaredy
    (place new recruit here)

Sails:

Alegis on
    edited May 2011
    When I said that we could "bank up to 50 booty total" I meant that after expenditures we'd have 50 left over to potentially bank. How's about we put 40 in the bank and keep 10 on hand, captain?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited May 2011
    yarrr lets be doin that. bankin 40 booty, 70 in the bank

Alegis on