As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it possible to make Unity 2D behave like proper linux?

Mouse copy is important! Paste should use that for everything, not just middle click.

I am hating you Unity.

Apothe0sis on
  • ZerounZeroun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Is it possible to make Unity 2D behave like proper linux?

Mouse copy is important! Paste should use that for everything, not just middle click.

I am hating you Unity.

I think that's just Ubuntu or Gnome in general, not Unitys fault.

I seem to be one of the few who love the UI design on Unity, even before it's appearance I used a dock on the left side and tried using some gnome applets to remove the window title on maximised windows, but I had to use a lot of workarounds etc. to make it work even half as good as Unity.

It is buggy though, I think they should not market the non-LTS xx.04 versions as 'stable', since they seem to add a lot of new, buggy, and incomplete features.

Zeroun on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well then.

I am not too mad at Unity. Just GNOME. It should work like proper linux.

EDIT:

OK, next question, why when I alt+tab to things does the icon just waggle at me from the dock? Because that is nonsense.

Apothe0sis on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You can still use the regular Gnome in Natty, just FYI. Just select "Ubuntu Classic" at the login screen instead of "Ubuntu". That's what I've done and everything's working nicely. Also removed those fucking overlayed scrollbars that I just can't find usable.

Oh - how do you get rid of those? I still have them in Ubuntu Classic and they can fuck right off.
    I got the instructions here: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-to-disable-overlay-scrollbars-in.html

I followed the second set of instructions on the page:
    sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar liboverlay-scrollbar-0.1-0

iTunesIsEvil on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    august wrote: »
    Thanks to the magic of Apt Pinning I now have pretty much exactly the crunchbang system I was looking for.

You see the part at the top of the thread that says stuff? I'ma lime it.
    Stop reading this now. You may break things. Seriously, stop reading.
    This could really mess up your system stability and security. Testing, unstable, and experimental don't get security updates. They also contain packages that have had far less testing and may break things horribly. Don't say I didn't warn you.

This is not an, "oh, yeah, that could happen" type thing. This is an inevitable fact of using apt pinning. It might not happen today. It might not happen tomorrow. But one day. Your castle of straw and glass will come crashing down upon your head.

I speak from experience. Keep system-wide backups.

Frem on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Frem wrote: »
    Thanks to the magic of Apt Pinning I now have pretty much exactly the crunchbang system I was looking for.

You see the part at the top of the thread that says stuff? I'ma lime it.
    Stop reading this now. You may break things. Seriously, stop reading.
    This could really mess up your system stability and security. Testing, unstable, and experimental don't get security updates. They also contain packages that have had far less testing and may break things horribly. Don't say I didn't warn you.

This is not an, "oh, yeah, that could happen" type thing. This is an inevitable fact of using apt pinning. It might not happen today. It might not happen tomorrow. But one day. Your castle of straw and glass will come crashing down upon your head.

I speak from experience. Keep system-wide backups.

I don't do anything important on this laptop. Or with computers in general, to be honest. All I "need" is access to my hotmail account.

august on
    edited May 2011
    Oh, ok. Have fun then. :-)

Frem on
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I wanted Vim to yank to the X Window clipboard (the "proper" one, not the visual selection one). In order to make that happen, I was supposed to add "set clipboard=unnamedplus" to my .vimrc. So far, so good.

Turns out none of the Vim packages in the Ubuntu repos can actually parse that setting; not an issue, I just compiled from source and checkinstall'd it. The situation was surprising though, either the Vim packages in Ubuntu are very obsolete, or the ability to set the destination clipboard to the "+" clipboard is a recent addition to Vim.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A quick search suggests that vim needs to be compiled with support for the system clipboard.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn, my ubuntu box got jacked. When ubuntu boots, its just a plain black wallpaper, it has a plain gray toolbar, which I get no responses from, I can get SSH access to it. Is there anything I can do from the command line to repair my install?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    apt-get reinstall ubuntu-desktop maybe? Not sure what the command would be nor what the desktop package is called but something like that should work.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited May 2011
    I'd add that apt-cache search <pattern> is useful for that kind of thing.

Though I'd check what you've changed before that - it might be as simple as rolling back to the previous config.

Apothe0sis on
    edited May 2011
    I'd add that apt-cache search <pattern> is useful for that kind of thing.

Though I'd check what you've changed before that - it might be as simple as rolling back to the previous config.

I can't recall any recent changes. It was fine on Friday, and when I booted on Sunday it was a mess. Sorry, apt-cache search <pattern> is a little over my head? What should I put in place of <pattern>, "ubuntu-desktop"?

I tried apt-get reinstall ubuntu-desktop, was told reinstall didn't exist, so I just din install. No change. I now googled and found that it should be apt-get install --reinstall so I'll try that when I get home.

Thanks for the help.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ubuntu-desktop is just a meta-package that depends on the packages that make up the standard Ubuntu desktop (GNOME, the standard applications, etc.) They exist for the other Ubuntu flavors (kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, etc.), too. Re-installing it probably won't do anything.

I would try forcing an update to Ubuntu if you haven't already ("sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude full-upgrade"). Back when I still used Ubuntu I would sometimes catch the update servers when not everything was fully updated and would have a partially-upgraded system.

If you're using Unity try Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a terminal and use "unity --reset" and see if that helps.

If that doesn't fix it when you log back in, try logging into a terminal-only session (should have the option for one at the login screen) and rename your GNOME configuration folders so you can see if GNOME will start from a "clean" install. In your home directory you'll probably have the folders .gnome, .gnome2, etc. Just rename them:
    mv .gnome .gnome-old
    mv .gnome2 .gnome2-old

If that doesn't help you can always log back into a terminal session, delete the new .gnome folders, then rename the .gnome*-old folders (same name without the -old at the end) to get things back to how they were.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited May 2011
    And I came home this afternoon and it is running fine. WTF?

edit: nope just taking a little longer to lock up

edit2: which clued me in to a heat issue. Dead video card fan.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone know of any technical reason why Fedora 15 (Xfce or LXDE) needs more than 512mb of RAM?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow does 11.04 feel a lot different from 10.10

Zen Vulgarity on
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    protip: ditch Unity

I hear Xfce is looking pretty good

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, which comes with a "quick start" button to boot into Splashtop. Splashtop is permanently installed on a 512MB ROM chip on the motherboard, but there is also a 30GB partition reserved for its use. If I install Ubuntu onto the 30GB partition, will that mess up Splashtop? Would I still be able to use the quick start button? Also, is there any way to change the quick start button to make it boot into Ubuntu instead of Splashtop?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure what Splashtop is, but I'm guessing the 512 meg ROM thing might just be a /boot directory, so changing around its other partition may indeed fuck things up if you want to use the quickstart. Take this with a grain of salt though, since this is literally the first time I've heard anything about this Splashtop business.

In other news, I've decided to give 11.04 an honest try. I wanted to give Gnome3 a shot, but sadly the bullshit with the notification area is a deal breaker for me, so it looks like Unity wins. I dunno, I might try it after I've given Unity a few weeks.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited May 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop#Internals

It's put on a special flash rom on the motherboard so it can load in 8 seconds or less. You can get instant access to photos, music, Skype, and the Internet; but it can't do much else, and it's impossible to expand its feature set. I usually just leave Windows 7 in sleep mode, as restoring from sleep mode is just as fast as loading Splashtop.

I think Unity works pretty well as an interface, and it's especially nice for devices with small screens. Apparently a lot of people dislike it, but I haven't been keeping up on Linux news lately, so I don't know why.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What a pain in the ass.

I decide I want to test a web app using both mysql and pgsql. Since the typical easy all-in-one stack doesn't support pgsql, I figure hey why not build it all from scratch using source files?

Get apache done, get pgsql done, get mysql done, get php done. Sweet. Go to put test data in mysql.. fuck it didn't come with the command line client. Surely I can just use apt-get to install the client and maybe have to tweak the client to use my existing installation.

WRONG. WRONG. Apt-get client shits all over my mysql install and now nothing knows where anything else is. Error messages everywhere. Fuck my life.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited June 2011
    Current issues with netbook running Ubuntu:

Bluetooth is permanently disabled.
    Hibernate issues are yet to be resolved.

fffuuu

Apothe0sis on
    edited June 2011

fffuuu

The Bluetooth option in the system menu doesn't work?

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
    edited June 2011
    proyebat wrote: »

fffuuu

The bluetooth tray applet and the setting in the system menu both do the same thing - sit there saying "Turning on bluetooth" or something to this effect, and not actually turning on bluetooth.

Apothe0sis on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FightTest wrote: »
    What a pain in the ass.

I decide I want to test a web app using both mysql and pgsql. Since the typical easy all-in-one stack doesn't support pgsql, I figure hey why not build it all from scratch using source files?

Get apache done, get pgsql done, get mysql done, get php done. Sweet. Go to put test data in mysql.. fuck it didn't come with the command line client. Surely I can just use apt-get to install the client and maybe have to tweak the client to use my existing installation.

WRONG. WRONG. Apt-get client shits all over my mysql install and now nothing knows where anything else is. Error messages everywhere. Fuck my life.
    Yeah, mixing packages and source can sometimes be a bit, uh, risky.

But the default stack shouldn't have made it tough to do what you want...
    $ sudo tasksel install lamp-server
    $ sudo apt-get install postgresql php5-pgsql

You could even remove MySQL after that if you wanted.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited June 2011

fffuuu

The bluetooth tray applet and the setting in the system menu both do the same thing - sit there saying "Turning on bluetooth" or something to this effect, and not actually turning on bluetooth.

sudo apt-get install bluez bluez-utils
    sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart

does that help?

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, after switching my Natty installation to 2.6.35, my laptop runs noticeably cooler and I get significantly more life out of my battery (everything else seems the same). Just a heads up for anyone having similar issues.

If you don't think the warmth of a laptop is a good criterion for judging a kernel, try comparing cpufreq-info output. On 2.6.38 my CPU spends ~20% of its time at the max frequency, on 2.6.35 less than ~5%.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
    edited June 2011

fffuuu

On my netbook, if Bluetooth or WiFi has been disabled in Windows via a hotkey or physical switch, it can not be used in Ubuntu, even if you return the switch to the "on" position. Rebooting in Windows and turning it back on seems to fix the problem.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
    edited June 2011
    fffff

That sounds reasonable Nibble.

I wiped windows out because fuck windows.

Apothe0sis on
    edited June 2011
    fffff

That sounds reasonable Nibble.

I wiped windows out because fuck windows.

In theory you could install Windows in QEmu and use dark magicks to watch what signals the driver sends the virtual hardware when you flip the magical switch. Maybe? Or I guess the host OS has to have some idea of what's going on with the switch before the VM can do anything interesting with it?

Frem on
    edited June 2011
    Maybe you could install Windows to a USB thumbdrive and boot into it just long enough to turn on the bluetooth.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
    edited June 2011
    Nibble wrote: »
    Maybe you could install Windows to a USB thumbdrive and boot into it just long enough to turn on the bluetooth.

This was my theory.

Apothe0sis on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Or, hey, it might be set in the user-accessible part of the BIOS. I know that happens in HPs - and makes sense as the place to store a hardware switch value you might want kept across multiple OS's/power cycles.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to use moc to play streaming internet radio, but that function is busted. I seem to have found a fix of sorts but the implementation is way over my head. Can anyone help me out?

august on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just found this great extension, for if/when your flash becomes messed up in Ubuntu (or simply setting up Ubuntu for the computer illiteratati):
    Flash-Aid is an extension designed to remove conflicting flash plugins from Ubuntu Linux systems and install the appropriate version according to system architecture.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to use moc to play streaming internet radio, but that function is busted. I seem to have found a fix of sorts but the implementation is way over my head. Can anyone help me out?
    There are a few GUI frontends for GNU diff that should make it easier. You know how to use Make?

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited June 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Or, hey, it might be set in the user-accessible part of the BIOS. I know that happens in HPs - and makes sense as the place to store a hardware switch value you might want kept across multiple OS's/power cycles.

Unfortunately this is not the case.

Apothe0sis on
    edited June 2011

fffuuu

sudo apt-get install bluez bluez-utils
    sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart

does that help?
    It does not, already the latest version.

Apothe0sis on
    edited June 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    There are a few GUI frontends for GNU diff that should make it easier. You know how to use Make?

No, unfortunately.

august on