As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Remastered PSP games are headed to the PS3, starting with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
PSP Blockbuster Games Re-mastered to Deliver Rich Gameplay on the PS3 System

TOKYO, May 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that a new "PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) Remaster" title series, PSP titles customized and developed specifically for the PS3 computer entertainment system, will become available as Blu-ray Disc™ games starting in the Japanese market.

"PSP Remaster" titles will deliver rich and immersive gaming experience on the PS3 system through stunning high-definition graphics as well as through additional new features for these titles, such as operability on the PS3 Wireless Controller (SIXAXIS® and DUALSHOCK®3), new add-on content or stereoscopic 3D support*(1). Users will also be able to utilize the same save data from the original PSP game for the "PSP Remaster" version and enjoy the game on the go with the PSP system and continue the game at home on a large TV screen using PS3. Ad-hoc mode gameplay will also be supported through "adhoc party for PlayStation Portable" application on the PS3 system*(2).

For Japan, the first "PSP Remaster" title to be introduced will be Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. from Capcom Co., Ltd. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP system is the latest installment of the blockbuster Monster Hunter franchise, which has alone shipped over 4.5 million units in Japan since its release in December 2010. The graphics of the PS3 version, including monsters, fields, equipment, as well as Felyne Comrades, are more gorgeous and vibrant than ever, and will deliver dynamic gameplay when played on the large TV screens. SCE, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will deploy various measures to enhance the software title line-up for the PS3 system.

SCE will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of computer entertainment with innovative and exciting new titles.

*1 What content will be supported will depend by titles.

*2. Not all titles will be supported. Some software title will not function properly depending on the user's network status and or the software feature. The application is not supported on 20GB model (CECHB00) which does not support Wi-Fi feature.

Andriasang seems to have broken the story first, here's their take:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/22/psp_remaster_series/
Sony will be bringing classic PlayStation Portable titles to PlayStation 3 as part of a new PSP Remaster lineup. The company announced the series today along with its first major release.

PSP Remaster offers PSP titles remastered for play on the PS3. The games are spruced up with full HD visuals, compatibility with Dual Shock 3, PS3 exclusive content, 3D support, and other features.

The PSP and PS3 versions of the game also share save data. Sony says that this could allow you to play a game on the PSP while on the go, then continue playing when you return home.

The PS3 versions are also compatible with Sony's Ad Hoc Party for PlayStation Portable service for network play. This free PS3 app normally allows local play PSP titles to use the PS3 as a proxy for true online play.

The series will kick off first in Japan through sales of Blu-ray Disc titles, Sony said. The wording of Sony's statement suggests that the series will also be released internationally and will also see some games offered in download form. The press release did not explicitly mention these areas, though.

For the series' first title, Sony has a biggie. As detailed earlier today, Capcom will release a PS3 version of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd under the name Monster Hunter Portable HD. The 4.5 million selling PSP title will feature 3D support, HD visuals and shared save files with the PSP, and will see release this summer.

For more details on the Monster Hunter conversion, see this story.

Info on Monster Hunter:

2132448785full.jpg
PlayStation 3 is finally getting a Monster Hunter game. Capcom announced Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Version for the system today.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD is a PS3 version of the like named PSP title (minus the HD part, of course). The game promises full HD visuals, 3D support, shared save data with the PSP version (allowing you to play both on the go and in the home), and online play via Ad Hoc Party. A release is set for Summer.

As the name and Ad Hoc Party might suggest, this actually isn't a new title. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD is part of a new PlayStation 3 series from Sony called PSP Remaster. This series features PSP titles customized for re-release on PS3.

The announcement of MHP 3rd HD came today during an event held to commemorate the mobile Monster Hunter Club having crossed the one million membership mark. The event was live streamed. You can see a video here.

Trailer for HD version of Monster Hunter:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/video/gmw/docs/447/767/html/ppv.flv.html

Also a Youtube, but it's youtube quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJZAUbPt2A

Despair, Trophy Whores, it was confirmed that the PSP Remaster series would not feature trophies.

tl;dr - Sony will be re-releasing certain PSP games onto the PS3 in HD. They'll have PS3 extras, but will use the same save data as the PSP versions, meaning you'll be able to play on your PSP, come home, transfer your save, and play on your PS3, and then back again. They'll support ad-hoc party, and will have 3D TV support, if that's how you roll. They will be released in Japan at retail on Blu-Ray discs, but there are rumblings that they'll be headed to NA and Europe, possibly in PSN downloadable form. The first game will be Monster Hunter 3rd.

So, this is pretty cool. Hopefully the prices will be realistic (especially if you own a PSP copy of the games in question), but being able to swap saves and play them in HD and in fullscreen (presumably using all of the functions of a DS3, including it's second analog stick) sounds pretty rad.

SmokeStacks on

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And in the U.S., probably the God of War games I would imagine. What would Europe and Australia like?

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God of War portable collection was announced a short time ago, I'm expecting Peace Walker will follow down the line.

Waka Laka on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like a similar setup of what they want to do with the NGP.

DJ max please.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would quite like to play Dracula X Chronicles without buying a new handheld.

Rizzi on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man oh man oh man oh man! I hope they release Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD in North America. I'm dying for a Monster Hunter game in high-definition.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Valkyria Chronicles please.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this is excellent news.

edit: wait valkyrica chronicles is already a PS3 game?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Also oh man, if this means that VC2-3 is no longer PSP exclusive.

I will make sacrifices to based god.

Antihippy on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this is excellent news.

The first one is but the two sequels are on the PSP, which is frustrating because I want more Valkyria Chronicles but not a PSP.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh please please please do this with Mega Man: Powered Up.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh my this will make me spend money. Lots of money.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm curious about what the prices will be.

Kyougu on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is a pretty interesting move. I'd bite, certainly. Monster Hunter and Peace Walker would both be pretty great choices, and I hope they really intend to bring this concept worldwide.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope this practice carries over to the PSP2 so I don't have to buy one.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm curious about what the prices will be.

Would be nice if people who already bought PSP versions of the games from the PSN got a PS3 copy for free, or at least at a significant discount.

I doubt it though.

The PS2 God of War Collection was $40 for two games, I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be disappointed) if they started throwing them onto the PSN for $20 a piece. Then again, the POP trilogy was three games (well, more like one and a half games if we're counting by quality), and it was also $40.

If they were released on the PSN for $10 a piece though? I'd buy everything.

SmokeStacks on
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My heart jumped when I read about this.

<3 MHP3

I've beaten all the guild quests, but I haven't gotten all the badges yet. This will give me a reason to continue playing.

ze swift class on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this is excellent news.

The first one is but the two sequels are on the PSP, which is frustrating because I want more Valkyria Chronicles but not a PSP.

looovely. yes okay this is exactly what I need.

because i don't think i'll ever own a handheld again.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A remaster of Valkyria Chronicles 3 would be lovely. I have no problems playing it on my PSP, but the game seem more suited to consoles if you ask me.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Valkyria Chronicles please.
    Imagine if the put 2 and 3 on there, and put back in some of those amazing filters that made the first one look so amazing.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Valkyria Chronicles 3 please. Please. Please. Don't let the best game in the series be Japan only.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sigh, if this comes out in Europe, I'll have to buy a PS3...

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's a pretty great title to launch this initiative.

Agreed on the VC suggestions, give me those and the personas they've put on PSP and I pretty much don't have to buy a psp anymore.

-SPI- on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Square will be delighted!

Kelor on
    edited May 2011
    It seemed a little weird to me at first, since the rumor going around was that Sony was hesitant to do any work on porting PSP games to the PS3 because they didn't want to cannibalize PSP hardware sales (hardware sales being the one area that PSP was doing ok in).

I'm gonna play Industry Analyst for a second and say that this makes me think that Sony is going to promote the shit out of the NGP at E3 and continue to do so until launch. Since a lot of people are holding off on buying a PSP until they hear more about the NGP (and I would guess a lot of people are going to hold off on buying a PSP once they do know more about the NGP), this seems like a good way to grab a boost in software sales numbers for PSP games even if the hardware isn't moving too quickly right now.
    Kelor wrote: »
    Square will be delighted!

I think the main reason that Square was so hesitant to step into digital distribution on the PSP was because the piracy level was so high. The PS3 may have been cracked last year, but it's still the least pirated console of this generation.

I suspect the execs at Square are walking around with dollar signs in their eyes.

SmokeStacks on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ...MOTHER FUCKER. 2 weeks ago I caved and bought a PSP GO, a tv-out cable, a matching DS3, and a cradle because I was tired of waiting for something like this.

this sucks.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

Oh yeah. It'll be even easier for them to port over NGP titles. I wasn't planning on getting one to begin with and this only strengthens my resolve to stay away from Sony portables. Why waste the money when the games will likely end up on PS3 anyway?

Way to make your portable irrelevant, Sony.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited May 2011
    Thing is they can very easily just say "nope, ngp stays on ngp."

I see this just as a way to make more money as they slowly phase out the PSP.

Plus you have to remember that it is fairly easy to port PSP games to PS3 controls wise while with NGP there's touch screen. Unless sony comes out with a Cafe touch screen controls. :P

Antihippy on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Time to sell off a big chunk of my PSP collection on ebay then. I like my PSP but I like my Dual Shock a lot better.

Moioink on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Havent Sony already confirmed God of War portable collection for PS3? wouldn't surprise me is this is the first of the remastered series.

Ziggymon on
    edited May 2011
    Awwww shit, Monster Hunter trailer:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/video/gmw/docs/447/767/html/ppv.flv.html

Also a Youtube, but it's youtube quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJZAUbPt2A

SmokeStacks on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Havent Sony already confirmed God of War portable collection for PS3? wouldn't surprise me is this is the first of the remastered series.

They've kinda announced the God of War Portable Collection, in that like Sony Taiwan sent out a press release but it hasn't been officially announced or anything. Easy to imagine that's going to be part of it.

Anyway, what I'm interested in is if these are being emulated (like minis on the PS3) or ported over (like the PS2 HD Collection's). If it's the latter they can add trophies and, you know, decent PSN functionality. If so it'd be great and I wouldn't really mind rebuying whatever games interest me. If not then there might be some small improvements but I don't really think there'd be enough to make me re-buy any of the games I've already got.

The fact that Sony are talking about adding new features to these games indicates to me that they're ports and that gets me excited. MGS Peace Walker in HD with trophies and PSN functionality? I'm fucking there.

Oh yeah. It'll be even easier for them to port over NGP titles. I wasn't planning on getting one to begin with and this only strengthens my resolve to stay away from Sony portables. Why waste the money when the games will likely end up on PS3 anyway?

It's been almost 7 years since the PSP came out. Sony deserves plenty of criticism for their handling of the PSP, as the red headed stepchild of the family, but how on earth does this suddenly make the PSP irrelevant? If someone hasn't bought a PSP already, I don't think they were ever going to. At least in this scenario, Sony and PSP developers can get some more money out of the games they have released. And if you haven't noticed, the PSP is already irrelevant pretty much everywhere but like Japan and Korea.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited May 2011
    Ziggymon wrote: »

They've kinda announced the God of War Portable Collection, in that like Sony Taiwan sent out a press release but it hasn't been officially announced or anything. Easy to imagine that's going to be part of it.

Anyway, what I'm interested in is if these are being emulated (like minis on the PS3) or ported over (like the PS2 HD Collection's). If it's the latter they can add trophies and, you know, decent PSN functionality. If so it'd be great and I wouldn't really mind rebuying whatever games interest me. If not then there might be some small improvements but I don't really think there'd be enough to make me re-buy any of the games I've already got.

The fact that Sony are talking about adding new features to these games indicates to me that they're ports and that gets me excited. MGS Peace Walker in HD with trophies and PSN functionality? I'm fucking there.

It's been almost 7 years since the PSP came out. Sony deserves plenty of criticism for their handling of the PSP, as the red headed stepchild of the family, but how on earth does this suddenly make the PSP irrelevant? If someone hasn't bought a PSP already, I don't think they were ever going to. At least in this scenario, Sony and PSP developers can get some more money out of the games they have released. And if you haven't noticed, the PSP is already irrelevant pretty much everywhere but like Japan and Korea.

I was talking about the hypothetical scenario where Sony does the same thing with NGP games. Sure it's entirely possible they won't do that, as Antihippy suggests, but this just solidifies the belief that there's no reason to get an NGP because eventually they'll make a better version for PS3.

And yes, I've been noticing PSP's irrelevance for some time.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited May 2011
    I was talking about the hypothetical scenario where Sony does the same thing with NGP games. Sure it's entirely possible they won't do that, as Antihippy suggests, but this just solidifies the belief that there's no reason to get an NGP because eventually they'll make a better version for PS3.

Except the precedent they are currently setting is that they'll do this 7 years after the system came out, so how is that any different from the NGP being backwards compatible with digital PSP games?

Unco-ordinated on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is an awesome idea.

Could be tricky to execute though, issues like how quickly and seamlessly saves transfer and if enough games make use of the idea will make or break it as a service. Will be interesting to see how far they push it with the NGP.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2011

Except the precedent they are currently setting is that they'll do this 7 years after the system came out, so how is that any different from the NGP being backwards compatible with digital PSP games?

Well, PSP backwards compatibility on NGP doesn't do me any good if I don't want to own a Sony portable. Upgraded ports to PS3 means I can get some of the better PSP games on the console I already own. And while we don't know all the games Sony plans to port, the first one isn't a 7 year old game, is it? Kinda makes me think these'll be ports of more recent titles. That means less incentive to get a PSP for games that are coming out now.

You're probably right, they'd be kind of silly to immediately put NGP titles on PS3. But I can wait years for ports, if necessary.

RidleySaria on
    edited May 2011
    This is an awesome idea.

Could be tricky to execute though, issues like how quickly and seamlessly saves transfer and if enough games make use of the idea will make or break it as a service. Will be interesting to see how far they push it with the NGP.

When you want to transfer a save for a PS1 game between the PSP and the PS3 it's as simple as finding the save in the XMB, pressing Triangle and selecting "Copy", so I don't see how it will be any more complicated for the PSP games.

SmokeStacks on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cool. There are definitely a few games on the PSP I'd like to play, like the aforementioned Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3. And the Patapon games.

Hmm, actually, those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

SteevL on
    edited May 2011

Well, PSP backwards compatibility on NGP doesn't do me any good if I don't want to own a Sony portable. Upgraded ports to PS3 means I can get some of the better PSP games on the console I already own. And while we don't know all the games Sony plans to port, the first one isn't a 7 year old game, is it? Kinda makes me think these'll be ports of more recent titles. That means less incentive to get a PSP for games that are coming out now.

You're probably right, they'd be kind of silly to immediately put NGP titles on PS3. But I can wait years for ports, if necessary.

Or in other words, assuming you're going to buy at least one of these PSP ports, you'll be giving Sony (and PSP developers) more of your money than you would otherwise, right? Sounds like a good idea to me. You said it yourself, you weren't going to buy the PSP anyway, so they're getting more money than they would otherwise.

As for the game they announced, sure that's relatively new but the system itself is on the way out. So I bring up my backwards compatibility argument again. How's it different from buying a Wii at launch at then buying say, the GC version of RE4?

And I don't think there's any chance you'll see anything similar on the PS3. The PS4 on the other hand? Maybe, though I'd imagine games with extensive touch screen use would be no-go's.

Unco-ordinated on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is an awesome idea.

When you want to transfer a save for a PS1 game between the PSP and the PS3 it's as simple as finding the save in the XMB, pressing Triangle and selecting "Copy", so I don't see how it will be any more complicated for the PSP games.

Would be cool of they could get some kind of system-sync going on, cloud saves or something.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The transferring of save games between the console and handheld is what makes this magical -- it doesn't leave existing PSP owners with the thought of having to restart from scratch. I will be curious as hell to see what they announce in the coming months (I'm hoping for some big E3 news). I like my PSP a lot, but I'm sure there are a few games I'd double-dip on to have on my PS3, so long as the prices are reasonable. Like, if they were able to magically iron out the music licensing and get Lumines I/II on there ... <3

Did Half-minute hero ever get announced for PSN, or is that XBLA HD up-port exclusive to 360?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)