As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines] Sequel incoming! (Q1 2020)

• Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    so i just got to the part in this game where I'm in Los Angeles, I've just finished the museum segment, and come back and the prince got all mad at a dude named Gary. I've completed the plague bearer side quest too. Before I head down the main questline again, is there any sidequests that I have to actually hunt for in this game or are they all pretty much along the beaten path?
    Been to the hospital?

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    so i just got to the part in this game where I'm in Los Angeles, I've just finished the museum segment, and come back and the prince got all mad at a dude named Gary. I've completed the plague bearer side quest too. Before I head down the main questline again, is there any sidequests that I have to actually hunt for in this game or are they all pretty much along the beaten path?
    Been to the hospital?

the clinic? or is there a hospital in downtown?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The clinic in Santa Monica.

The hardest quest to finish is probably the killer at the pier. Lots of steps involved.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There is a hospital in downtown. A lot of people miss it, apparently. I can't find a map of downtown or I'd point it out, but
    It's behind a gap in some fences, and is decommissioned.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, that one. :P Very easy to miss, yeah. I didn't know about it until my second playthrough.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    never die wrote: »
    Actually, I think picking firearms is the easiest way in the long run, as you never really run into anything you can't handle. Compared to Melee or unarmed LATE GAME SPOILERS
    where fighting the giant slug or the Sherriff can be more difficult with melee or unarmed. The slug fight was probably my hardest fight as a gangrel. I had to unload on her with a flamethrower, cause she just absorbs claw damage it seems.
    Melee wasn't a problem for the tower. The sheriff was easy since you could just flip a spotlight to bring him down and then wail on his stunned body for a moment, rinse repeat.

Ming, on the other hand, sucked.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There is a hospital in downtown. A lot of people miss it, apparently. I can't find a map of downtown or I'd point it out, but
    It's behind a gap in some fences, and is decommissioned.

oh, is that the one where you meet Pisha? I can totally see how people would miss that, the gap isn't super obvious and it can look like just a fenced off area for aesthetics if you don't see the gap.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. Some other things in downtown:

There's another part of the serial killer quest. Check out
    the Skyline Apartments

Also there are sidequests from Fat Larry, Venus and Skelter.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was super into this game then just sort of.....stopped when I hit Chinatown a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, though the awful sewer level may have had something to do with it. I'm going to have to get back to once I'm done with L.A. Noire.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How is this game?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/vampire_the_masquerade_redemption

I never hear anyone talk about this one. I'm assuming that's a bad sign?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i think its mostly because, from what i've heard, the only thing that Redemption shares with Bloodlines is the setting and background story. No real gameplay similarities.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    How is this game?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/vampire_the_masquerade_redemption

I never hear anyone talk about this one. I'm assuming that's a bad sign?

If you're a fan of the setting and have nothing to do it's moderately entertaining. The gameplay is pretty lackluster though. I ended up completely disabling my companions and leaving them behind at all times because their AI is just so atrocious.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember buying the strategy guide for this game at a fire sale for like $1, and then never being able to find a copy of it for sale. Joked with a friend once that on my death bed I'd send my heir on a quest to get it for me otherwise I'd never tell them the secret location of my will or something.

Played it finally though, loved it in spite of all the bugs. The game was ambitious but poorly executed and (IIRC) hamstrung by the fact that it was going to use the Half-Life 2 engine but couldn't use the whole thing as it was going to come out before HL:2? Still, awesome.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man so disappointing. Broke out my old CDs and reinstalled this game. Downloaded the unofficial patches as I have always done. Last time I played this game it was not on this PC or Windows 7.

A few seconds into the tutorial I find out I can't use the key to open the door. So I skip the tutorial. Almost an hour into the game I find out I cannot use ANY keys.

So I reinstall. No fix. So disappointing.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I remember that problem but I can't remember the solution. HOWEVER

Are the UI elements in the game blurry? If so, you need to disable some of your RAM (using msconfig) to get it below 3?GB. That might fix other problems, such as the door one. Maybe. I dunno. I think the fan patch may have made this step unnecessary.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I was super into this game then just sort of.....stopped when I hit Chinatown a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, though the awful sewer level may have had something to do with it. I'm going to have to get back to once I'm done with L.A. Noire.

The sewers are arguably the worst part of the game.

Pretty much everyone hates them.

Chinatown is baller though. You're missing out. Hengeyókai awaits.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »

"Ah sweet! I got past that rotten Tzimisce! Now to get to the hideout! Wait... why are there more of these damn things!? Okay... NOW I got into the next area, and I'm finished! Wait... no I'm not, son of a... Okay; got past a new sewer monster thing, and I'm done, right?.... Wait... that's a HUGE FUCKER RIGHT THERE! Okay, boss beaten, and NOW I'm done, right? NO DAMMIT NOT MORE OF THIS SHIT. Okay, ran past all of these fuckers, and got to the entrance to the Nosferatu elysium. Now to activate this monitor and... what? 'Security Card' needed? ALKJDKL:JDKSLJFKLDJLK:SJKDL GAAAH!!! FUCKING FINALLY, GOT THE SECURITY CARD, GOT TO THE ENTRANCE AND NOW LETS END THIS SHIT!"

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The answer to the sewers is to use noclip. There is literally nothing in there worth seeing.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The answer to the sewers is to use noclip. There is literally nothing in there worth seeing.

I wish there was a way to double lime something.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's noclip?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fly-through-wall cheat that you can activate through the dev console.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

"Ah sweet! I got past that rotten Tzimisce! Now to get to the hideout! Wait... why are there more of these damn things!? Okay... NOW I got into the next area, and I'm finished! Wait... no I'm not, son of a... Okay; got past a new sewer monster thing, and I'm done, right?.... Wait... that's a HUGE FUCKER RIGHT THERE! Okay, boss beaten, and NOW I'm done, right? NO DAMMIT NOT MORE OF THIS SHIT. Okay, ran past all of these fuckers, and got to the entrance to the Nosferatu elysium. Now to activate this monitor and... what? 'Security Card' needed? ALKJDKL:JDKSLJFKLDJLK:SJKDL GAAAH!!! FUCKING FINALLY, GOT THE SECURITY CARD, GOT TO THE ENTRANCE AND NOW LETS END THIS SHIT!"

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes. I mean like, exactly how it goes.

I actually finished the game as Malkavian yesterday again.

I didn't use no-clip. It takes some 15 minutes to get through it once you know all the tricks.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The best way to bypass the sewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1K0mYiA_k

simulacrum on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you have obfuscate it's easy enough. Personally in my current playthrough I used notarget, which just means you're invisible to all the enemies.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone ever make a mod that fixes the glitch with coats and robes?

Tube on
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've gone to bed maybe 3 hours past my normal bedtime because of this thing. It is very fun and the characters are engaging. Despite loathing the vampire white wolf game (and the whole vampire scene in general) I am having a blast. Definitely worth the money, and I'm not even very far yet.

Good to know about skipping the sewer level, are there any other things that I should know to make my game more enjoyable?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I just played through it in the pimp costume malkavian.

What glitch are you referring to? I didn't encounter any.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't skip anything your first time out. The sewers aren't that bad.

Also I just played as a toreador gunslinger and I'm pretty sure it's the most powerful build in the game.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The tails on the coats switch from front to back.

Tube on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never actually played as a gunslinger. I may have to, since this time through (Tremere swordfighter) I've got an overabundance of money. Do the Ventrue make good gunmen? I've never tried either aspect (Ventrue or ranged build).

Also, the sewers are the worst level in the game without a doubt, but I have to agree with Stepdad. It's not worth skipping the experience points. The sequence came at a point in the game for me where I wasn't doing a whole lot in terms of combat, so it was a welcome diversion.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The tails on the coats switch from front to back.

It did that for me twice during the whole game. Reset itself after a few seconds though.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The most important thing for a gunslinger is either taking auspex or raising your firearms and perception to max. That, along with celerity, will make you a powerhouse. There's no halfway though, you either need really high firearms or don't bother at all.
    It did that for me twice during the whole game. Reset itself after a few seconds though.

cool story.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ventrue make for brilliant punching bags. Between Fortitude and Presence (and a high stamina either naturally or from blood buff) nothing is really capable of hurting you much at all. I'm doing Ventrue gunslinger at the moment and it certainly works well enough. The only power in the game that really makes guns better though is Celerity, but I'd say the ability to take so much damage definitely puts Ventrue in second place (behind anyone with celerity) for a gun build.

I forgot about Auspex, but you can just raise perception (1 free point) and firearms (2 free points) to max it anyway.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The most important thing for a gunslinger is either taking auspex or raising your firearms and perception to max. That, along with celerity, will make you a powerhouse. There's no halfway though, you either need really high firearms or don't bother at all.

Is there a particular gun I should beeline towards? I'm playing with the fan patch, so I guess the flamethrower and sniper rifle are in there too.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Is there a particular gun I should beeline towards? I'm playing with the fan patch, so I guess the flamethrower and sniper rifle are in there too.

The colt anaconda, the big ol' six shooter. The combat shotgun is good too, and you want the flamethrower for the end bosses. I don't know about fan patch weapons, I don't play with fan patches because I'm not a communist. Different strokes.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When is the first time I can wear something other than Light or Heavy clothes? I just got to Hollywood.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »

I forgot about Auspex, but you can just raise perception (1 free point) and firearms (2 free points) to max it anyway.

With level 5 Auspex you need 2 points in perception and two points in wits to max those out while the discipline is running (the timer is really long), then all you need is max firearms and as you mentioned there are plenty of free firearms points. In fact all the combat stats have a lot of free points.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    About now. Ask the clerk in the Red Spot for the special and he should be selling light leather at least.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The colt anaconda, the big ol' six shooter. The combat shotgun is good too, and you want the flamethrower for the end bosses. I don't know about fan patch weapons, I don't play with fan patches because I'm not a communist. Different strokes.

All for the glory of Mother Russia.

Thanks. I've picked up guns before, but it's tough to tell without a high Firearms attribute if they're worth the shit they're made of.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd recommend the uzis as well, I'd been using the magnums and shotguns and then discovered on a certain boss that emptying an uzi into his face at close range was about 5x faster. Most of the guns are aquired in quite a linear fashion though. You'll find a peashooter and pump action shotgun at the start, then you'll find 9mms, uzis, a magnum, an auto shotgun, a rifle etc.

Rami on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.