As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines] Sequel incoming! (Q1 2020)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2011
    The most important thing for a gunslinger is either taking auspex or raising your firearms and perception to max. That, along with celerity, will make you a powerhouse. There's no halfway though, you either need really high firearms or don't bother at all.

Is there a particular gun I should beeline towards? I'm playing with the fan patch, so I guess the flamethrower and sniper rifle are in there too.

The colt anaconda, the big ol' six shooter. The combat shotgun is good too, and you want the flamethrower for the end bosses. I don't know about fan patch weapons, I don't play with fan patches because I'm not a communist. Different strokes.

All for the glory of Mother Russia.

Thanks. I've picked up guns before, but it's tough to tell without a high Firearms attribute if they're worth the shit they're made of.

The .38 and the shotgun are garbage. You don't really start ruining shit until the magnums turn up. I haven't used the uzis personally.

Tube on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I usually start using firearms by the time the SPAS/Steyr Aug/Sniper Rifle appear.

Desert Eagle's pretty good. Colt Anaconda as well. The crossbow you can get early on, that one's good for vampires.

Flamethrower depletes quickly, not really worth it.

Sniper rifle is king though.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The flamethrower depletes quickly because it kills the end boss in under five seconds

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Doesn't work for shit on
    Ming-Xiao.

I am playing with the latest fan patch though, so group me in with the commies.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah it only takes 50% of her life off in those five seconds, what a piece of shit.

Tube on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Even though I've never gone for Firearms, I've always used the flamethrower on Ming-Xiao just to kick things off. It's quite potent.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Doesn't work for shit on
    Ming-Xiao.

I am playing with the latest fan patch though, so group me in with the commies.

It will take off about 50% health if you have two full tanks. Considering its the hardest boss in the game I'd say it is definitely worth it.

As far as I can tell, the plus patch doesn't add any new weapons. I'd heard it puts the dragon breath shotgun in but I've yet to see it despite asking Mercurio for it.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Doesn't even take 10% of her health by the time it's empty on the latest fan patch.

edit: Actually my bad. Just went in to test it. By the time it was depleted, it took out about 75% of her entire health. Wonder why it didn't work yesterday.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really wish I could get into the setting of The Witcher. It's pretty close to this in terms of RPG mechanics and emergent gameplay (minus the lack of gunplay). I just find it really tough to give a shit about the world.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just for the hell of it, here's my weapons test on her. Flamethrower worked this time for some reason. Didn't do so yesterday when I fought her. Had to cap her with the Steyr Aug really.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If it's any consolation, the flamethrower bugged out for me, too, when I played a couple weeks ago. Also, the steyr aug is ridiculous and was my weapon of choice.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    About now. Ask the clerk in the Red Spot for the special and he should be selling light leather at least.

what about funky clothes, like the pimp outfit?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Chinatown.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    About now. Ask the clerk in the Red Spot for the special and he should be selling light leather at least.

The clothes are set depending on the clan you are playing. I'm assuming pimp outfit refers to male Malkavian's heavy leather appearance, which is a huge fur coat and floppy Dr Seuss hat.

There are only 4 sets for each clan and gender though; light/heavy clothes and light/heavy leather. The fifth and best body armour shares the same graphic as the heavy leather outfit (at least, it did for my Malkavian).

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Yeah they're all clan specific. The malkavian pimp outfit is their heaviest armor; it's different for other clans.

edit: beat'd lots.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Female Tremere is the classiest dresser.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was disappointed by the Male [strike]Tremere's[/strike] Toreador's final outfit. Really? A big red suit that looks like it belongs to Hugh Hefner? I get this when the Ventrue gets a fucking trench-coat. Ventrue are supposed to be about board meetings and shit, not bad-ass outfits.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Speaking of which.

Artwork interlude!
    beckett.jpg
    (Beckett)

nines.jpg
    (Nines)

vtm1.jpg
    (Jeanette)

vent.jpg
    (Female Tremere)

torey.jpg
    (Male Toreador)

From the installation screens.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I forgot about Auspex, but you can just raise perception (1 free point) and firearms (2 free points) to max it anyway.

With level 5 Auspex you need 2 points in perception and two points in wits to max those out while the discipline is running (the timer is really long), then all you need is max firearms and as you mentioned there are plenty of free firearms points. In fact all the combat stats have a lot of free points.

For firearms, 5 perception, 5 firearms, and 5 auspex will put your feat up at 13. You'll get diminishing returns since investigation and hacking max out effectiveness at 10, but 13 firearms and (I think) 13 dodge is a helluva thing.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm. New Thread title.

But why would anyone want to play Giovanni? They have to suck down on corpses.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmm. New Thread title.

Among other things :winky:

D:

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you sure Auspex raises a stat over 5? I was under the impression it didn't.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Are you sure Auspex raises a stat over 5? I was under the impression it didn't.

Playing 1.2, it definitely raises your firearms feat above ten and potence definitely raises unarmed/melee above ten.

I don't think I ever put enough into dodge to see if it'll put defense above ten, but I believe it will.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One day I shall start my Malk run over again and not cheat my skills, kind of killed my drive to finish. And now it'll be extra fun trying to recall what the hell I'm talking about since it's been awhile!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I forgot about Auspex, but you can just raise perception (1 free point) and firearms (2 free points) to max it anyway.

With level 5 Auspex you need 2 points in perception and two points in wits to max those out while the discipline is running (the timer is really long), then all you need is max firearms and as you mentioned there are plenty of free firearms points. In fact all the combat stats have a lot of free points.

For firearms, 5 perception, 5 firearms, and 5 auspex will put your feat up at 13. You'll get diminishing returns since investigation and hacking max out effectiveness at 10, but 13 firearms and (I think) 13 dodge is a helluva thing.

I don't think feats above ten have any effect

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'll have to test it out, but IIRC using potence to pump melee up to 16 has a noticeable effect.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'll have to test it out, but IIRC using potence to pump melee up to 16 has a noticeable effect.

Just tested it out. Ranged, Melee, and Brawl all definitely do increased damage with feats above 10. The damage stats listed for weapons in the inventory will also raise to measure the difference. The defense feat will go above 10 on the character sheet, but I can't think of a way to directly measure those effects accurately.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    neat sauce

Tube on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It may depend on patch, but I know on my version of the game, boosting anything above 10 has no effect, whether this is from Potence or Auspex.

Which leads to the question, which patch are you using, Zinfandel?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Version 1.2, or base official patch.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmm. New Thread title.

Good rule of thumb: never mess with a clan who has as much use for you dead as they do alive.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Hmm. New Thread title.

Good rule of thumb: never mess with a clan who has as much use for you dead as they do alive.

Unless you're a vampire. They can't do shit to someone who's technically already undead.... except all that stuff that can give 'em the Final Death.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And I'm reinstalling.

Gangrel, I think, this time.

Shamus on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I lost a good three hours of my life to the owod wiki last night. Now I know all about Wraiths and Specters.

That's one hell of a setting they got there.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    I lost a good three hours of my life to the owod wiki last night. Now I know all about Wraiths and Specters.

That's one hell of a setting they got there.

And a lot of supplements were very careful to not let players mess it up.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just finished my first run through. Went with what had to be easy-mode (Tremere with high Melee and Intimidate) and just wrecked house. Only time I had to use anything other than a blade was
    On Ming-Xiao, when the I went with the flame-thrower, steyr AUG, and then hacked away while rocking her with Blood Salvo.

Had a fantastic time. Great story. Wish we got a better background on
    Jack,

as then the ending wouldn't feel quite as much like a non-sequitur.

Malkavian next!

twotimesadingo on
    PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Which ending did you get? Camarilla is likely most canon for Tremere, since
    Strauss takes over. Yay for House & Clan domination!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Helloween is doing an LP of this game right now, whilst waiting for Alice to come out.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Not here? I didn't see a thread for it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Which ending did you get? Camarilla is likely most canon for Tremere, since
    Strauss takes over. Yay for House & Clan domination!

Which isn't so bad, since really,
    Strauss is a pretty nice guy. He doesn't like Anarchs, but that's a political thing.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
This discussion has been closed.