As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hellgate: London] Hellgate Tokyo is a go 9/22

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
Remember that game Hellgate London that went free to play? There's a new expansion being released September 22nd, 2013.

hellgate-london.jpg

Hellgate, described only as Diablo 2 in 3d, is having an expansion that will bring the game's setting from London to Tokyo. This game is Perfect for those who enjoyed Diablo 2 and didn't care for Diablo 3.

You can register and download a client at http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Home/Home.aspx

Here's a link to some gameplay. (London) Heres a PVP trailer. (Tokyo)

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got my key already.

I was thinking about making this thread too. I really enjoyed this game when it came out, it is actually what got me into MMOs in the first place.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder what they'll do with people who got lifetime subs.

Shanadeus on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »

Nothing, most likely.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything for previous owners and/or subscribers. Flagship is long gone.

Also, There's already a thread for this in G&T. I'm not sure if it qualifies as an MMO, but hey, if Guild Wars does, I suppose this would too.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Probably qualifies as this iteration of Hellgate is being run as a F2P one, so even moreso than the original run where SP and MP were being supported side by side.

Not so with this "Resurrection".

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

toss their money in the air and laugh

PiptheFair on
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

toss their money in the air and laugh

Not likely.

Flagship was so far in the hole when Hellgate launched that I doubt those lifetime subs made even a scratch on those debts. I wouldn't be surprised if Hannbitsoft didn't even see a dime of those dollars; instead opting to just straight up take the IP (and Mythos).

I don't think anyone enjoyed that money.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Flagship enjoyed the dollars immensely while it was spending them on development. Afterwards I would imagine that the investors got what scraps they could out of the smoldering wreckage with a sour look on their faces.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I get the feeling this is just going to be pretty much the same game but with a different payment system. I'd loved to be proved wrong, the game had some fun things going for it, but a lot of it was just bland as could be.

Nishu on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I loved this game. I still have the DVD in its case, key and all. This game inspired my first thread here on PA forums.

Morvidus on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    man, another game I remember at some point being excited for

was it actually fun? and/or think it's worth picking up now?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited May 2011
    Nishu wrote: »
    I get the feeling this is just going to be pretty much the same game but with a different payment system.

If by this you mean a 3rd/1st person action RPG that smells strongly of Scent Du Faux Diablo while wearing a cheap imitation fur coat made by Hanbitsoft to make it look more appealing as it flaunts its tawdry charms by the wayside after a slight bout of plastic surgery through content patches to cover the cruel scars left by Flagship's mishandling of the goods?

Probably.

But then, I loved it once before, so I'll probably fall for its blandishments and templar-on-demon violence again too.

Yes, if you like Diablo-style hack and slash RPGs. Wait for the F2P release though, as its most enjoyable with others.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Yes, if you like Diablo-style hack and slash RPGs. Wait for the F2P release though, as its most enjoyable with others.

In third person with GUNS!!

PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW!!

(I'll give you one guess what class I played)

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited May 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

You played all the classes!

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

You played all the classes!

A... a little bit...

My main was a Marksman though.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm way way too excited about this game coming back. I hope it's still as good or hopefully better than it was.

Energeno on
    edited May 2011
    Energeno wrote: »
    I'm way way too excited about this game coming back. I hope it's still as good or hopefully better than it was.

I think they removed the whole blister section out, and redid the boss there. No more Oculus or something to that effect.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    okay, I'd probably play a modern postapocalyptic diablo, at least a little bit

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hahahaha, I found my old Installation DVD of this a few weeks back in a box in my attic.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Hahahaha, I found my old Installation DVD of this a few weeks back in a box in my attic.

My collectors edition box sits on a shelf above my computer, right next to my collectors edition of Warhammer Online.

Gamers who come to my place look and just shake their heads.

That said, I'm excited about this beta. I actually really enjoyed the game, bugs and all.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sooooo excited. I adored Hellgate, despite its flaws.

VampireCactus on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This was a game that was almost good, but just had too much repetition and stupid crap to make it actually good.

captaink on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New trailer added on OP.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    These are new? I really can't remember what the old ones looked like. That is a lot of trailer for a relaunch.

captaink on
    edited May 2011
    The trailer really isn't new.

Just like the one on the website it is almost entirely just cutscenes from the game.

EDIT: Was it really almost 4 years ago that this originally came out? Jeez. I'm looking forward to giving it a go again when it is out F2P, but that's a long ass time for a company to hold onto a property and then rerelease it.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2011
    Look, it takes time and dedication by a localization team to produce engrish of the necessary quality to amaze AND bemuse the unwary new audience simultaneously.

You have to account for these things.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    http://hellgate.t3fun.com/News/Notice_View.aspx?post_key=3

Get your global client torrent here, it's up.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://hellgate.t3fun.com/News/Notice_View.aspx?post_key=3

Get your global client torrent here, it's up.

Love the comprehensive how-to:

1. Download the Hellgateglobal.torrent file to your drive (this takes about 5 seconds per .torrent file at cable modem speeds).

2. Open your torrent client software.

a. There are various torrent client software that you can use. In the Hellgate Global Download section, we'll put up a utorrent download link that you can use or you can download one from www.utorrent.com. Utorrent is an example of a torrent client software. You can use this one if you don't have torrent client software. Here is an instructional video on how to use/install Utorrent (video).

3. The Hellgateglobal.torrent file will prompt for download. Once this happens, click ok.

4. The torrent client software will now talk to a tracker server for 2 to 10 minutes, while it scours the Internet for people to swarm with.

5. As the tracker locates torrent users to swarm with, each user will be automatically labeled as either a “leech/peer” or as a “seed”.

6. A percentage will show the amount of files you have downloaded.

7. Once it hits 100%, open the folder and run the client.

Shanadeus on
  • Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has anybody got it working yet?

Shifty_Calhoun on
    edited June 2011
    Has anybody got it working yet?

Beta doesn't start until Friday.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beta #2. For a game that was terrible once, with a build up that screamed "Diablo! Diablo!" without any of elements that made it feel like Diablo.

No. Thanks.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • ResorathResorath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope this is more fun than last time; as much fun as rotating between four different environments and shooting the same demons with my choice of three guns was, it just wasn't as addictive as diablo 2 which did the exact same thing (without guns).

Resorath on
    makibanner.png
    edited June 2011
    The non-torrent is up now too btw. http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Data/Download.aspx

It just gives you a launcher and there are 4 parts to download.

I'm getting 1.5m/s so it's going pretty quick.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Currently half way through downloading. Does anyone here want to play a balanced class setup tomorrow?

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Zooooooommmmmm!!!!

That's my impression of how fast it downloaded. I ran about 2.6mb/s average thru it.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I hate you people with your awesome internet connections. May you all choke on your near limitless supply of bits.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh hey, it's this game again.

While Borderlands pretty much delivered on the "loot-n-guns, together at last!" promise of Hellgate, I'm down for trying this out for free. I'm expecting the freeplay to be even more gimped than it was when Hellgate first launched.

But hey, random South Korean company, thanks for making a game downloader that won't minimize.

Lawndart on
    edited June 2011
    Roe wrote: »
    Currently half way through downloading. Does anyone here want to play a balanced class setup tomorrow?

I'm either going to be a marksman or summoner. Those were my favorites before. Summoner wasn't very viable late in the game, from what I understand but it is rare that I enjoy games like this more than when I have an army of minions to do my bidding. Incidentally I will never get over the fact that necros aren't' in D3 and I don't think Witch Doctor will fill the void.

Marksman; I just enjoyed the style of play. I never really could enjoy the melee classes much because melee was so damn floaty. I never felt like I was hitting a single thing but just randomly swishing my swords through air and demons dying for no apparent reason.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2011
    Marksman was my absolute favorite class. I beat the game with that class.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    edited June 2011
    I'm looking to play a tank class with either a 2 hander, or pistol/sword combo.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg